Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Going live with some Mechwarrior 5 Multiplayer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=video?AZTG9nRQo2o?edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

One point in gunnery and one in guts for Oops please. I guess you're good for SRM6s for awhile.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

what a very big and scary convoy

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The last mission proves to hard, so we move on for easier prey!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Picking max salvage in this game seems like the way to guarantee you won't fight anything worth salvaging.

Token Population planets seem to be absolutely horrid in general as well.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

it's nice to end an episode where i'm not horribly injured, it's been a while since that happened!

(helps that i wasn't in the hermes this time :v:)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Grey, you mentioned building Soylent towards Evasive Expert, but I'd still like to still aim for Coolant Vent if possible.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I make a quick pile of cash then move on for some bigger earnings. I'm still looking for a couple more medium mechs!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 22, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ having the pic as [timg] instead of [img] makes it less easy to click, please fix :)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

biosterous posted:

^ having the pic as [timg] instead of [img] makes it less easy to click, please fix :)

Damnit, phoneposting!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships BattleMechs today,

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
...well, I was going to grouse about putting me in the goddamn walking grenade box that is the Hermes (the one thing worse than the Urbie in that roster), but after what happened with Soylent on the first attempt, all I can think of is "that was an overcooked pudding".

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i am curious about the actual odds of soylent getting completely fragged like that

i'm sure it's %low, but i don't know the game mechanics and also i am bad at statistics

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I think the Hermes range has reduced torso twist which is why it was giving you trouble getting targets in arc

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Everyone should feel good after this amazing showing by our mercenary company - we get some choice salvage and are building up a nice piggy bank. 

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

guts 4 for biosterous, and then all exp goes towards breaching shot

getting the second phoenix hawk and the valkyrie has really made an incredible difference. can't wait until we get even bigger stompier mechs!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I thought you were in real trouble on that three-way mission. The Taurians were dropping like flies and it looked like the Kuritas were going to be nearly unscathed by the time you fought them.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Lostech is coming along nicely. Get that gunnery up, then specialize as you see fit.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bring Not Comstar up to 4 in Gunnery and tactics

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We fight a couple of duels, take on a convoy, then do a more difficult mission

Spoiler for once you've watched it

So, do I replay - while I don't want to restart every time something goes a bit wrong, a pilot getting killed who already ejected is a bit of a odd one.)
What do you think

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

So, do I replay - while I don't want to restart every time something goes a bit wrong, a pilot getting killed who already ejected is a bit of a odd one.)
What do you think

This very much feels like a bug to me. On the other hand, it isn't exactly absurd that a MechWarrior wouldn't survive ejection on occasion. Justifying either way seems perfectly reasonable.

Also, it might be worthwhile to replace the MGs on the PHX-1 with Flamers (.5T MG + .5TMG + 1T MG ammo = 1t Flamer + 1t Flamer) or a pair of Small Lasers (replacing the ammo with an extra heat sink). MGs aren't bad in this iteration of the game, but the ammo remains scary.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 26, 2023

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

I'd say that level of random bullshit warrants a mulligan, if anything ever does, since you're not doing a leet hardman run for that all-important nerd cred.

also i guess you could dorf me if you have need of a pilot who specializes in not giving a gently caress about anything

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
When you blew up the small light building* with a stray shot, it caused the explosion. That's when the scream played and the ejected pilot got killed. It must have been some sort of special building like an electrical substation (hence the zappy lingering effect around it for the rest of the battle) and the game must keep track of where ejected pilots land, for just such an event.

I don't know the specific mechanics but it makes sense. Either way, no opinion on the reload.

*The Wolverine jumped on it at one point, and you considered dropping it out from under but didn't.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 26, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

When you blew up the small light building with a stray shot, it caused the explosion. That's when the scream played and the ejected pilot got killed. It must have been some sort of special building like an electrical substation (hence the zappy lingering effect around it for the rest of the battle) and the game must keep track of where ejected pilots land, for just such an event.

I don't know the specific mechanics but it makes sense. Either way, no opinion on the reload.

In game, The pods from ejected 'mechs don't come back down, implying they're well clear of the area. What happened here gives the impression that damage was applied to Gun Jam when additional damage was applied to his 'Mech, even though he was no longer in it. Adding additional damage to a unit after it is destroyed is rare, and almost impossible after ejection.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gnoman posted:

In game, The pods from ejected 'mechs don't come back down, implying they're well clear of the area. What happened here gives the impression that damage was applied to Gun Jam when additional damage was applied to his 'Mech, even though he was no longer in it. Adding additional damage to a unit after it is destroyed is rare, and almost impossible after ejection.

Ah. Well in that case it sounds like a bug, and I vote reload.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Ha!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Just use a save editor and resurrect Gunjam. (You could even give them a couple of injuries to make it a little more realistic).

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Catzilla posted:

Just use a save editor and resurrect Gunjam. (You could even give them a couple of injuries to make it a little more realistic).

i vote for this one personally, but a full mulligan as also fine

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Catzilla posted:

That was something. I'm fairly certain that's a bug from a probably very rare intersection of environmental AOE damage and how they model pilot ejection. I think if a save editor will let you resurrect Gunjam with the number of injuries they had prior to ejection that's the most fair way, but a bug that weird also justified a reload imho.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Catzilla posted:

Yeah. If this is an option, take it (including clearing the wall of the dead entry), if not, mulligan.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I can't see a save editor that allows the ressurection of pilots. (We can drop the spoilers now BTW)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

universal consensus was to save edit or mulligan, and since editing won't work (bummer!), it's time to use another divine pulse

like seriously, if my pilot died for normal reasons i'd be ok with it, but if they clearly ejected and had launched way off the battlefield and then someone got killed by a battlefield aoe i would really want a mulligan

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Is the eject mechanic base game or added by the mods?

My guess is that under the hood, ejection leaves the pilot in the mech on the map but removes the mech from the action list and from being targetable by other mechs. That removal doesn't apply to AOE environmental damage so the explosion destroyed the center torso of the downed, otherwise uninteractable mech.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Ejection is in base, explicitly as a "if a unit is getting badly damaged, you can eject it to ensure that the pilot and Mech cannot be lost" measure. What the mod adds is the morale system that makes pilots eject on their own.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The replay of the mission is a lot easier - but has less salvage - then it on up against a literal company of mechs including forces from COMSTAR!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That Royal Griffin was a monster, and I'm surprised you got off as lightly as you did.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

that was a hell of a grind, glad it turned out as well as it did!

might need to shop around for some flamers, the poor firestarter isn't starting any fires any time soon :(

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Mars, how the hell did you survive that? I was about ready to ask to be re-dorfed as someone new when I saw the blast..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Gnoman posted:

That Royal Griffin was a monster, and I'm surprised you got off as lightly as you did.

There's an Argo upgrade that lets you use parts of different models of the same mech together. We should prioritize that, so it can be our monster. That royal Pixie too.