Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

It's the far future, and people have forgotten lots of things after a series of cataclysmic wars.
What they haven't forgotten (completely) is how to build ten meter tall battle mechs and stomp around the battlefield looking cool.

I want in on this, so here we are!

Battletech is Hairbrained schemes game based on the long standing tabletop wargame, I'm not only running all the DLC, but I'm running the Commanders Edition mod set.

This basically reworks the game in a way I like, as well as the expected more mechs, it adds in a host of features such as morale (people will actually save their lives by ejecting from doomed mechs) and fatigue (no more running the same four guys three missions a day for three years.)

You can read all about it here

WE're going to be doing a career 0 we will have three years to make as much money as possible (though most of it will be banked in the highly expensive battlemechs) before retiring to live the life of luxury we know we deserve.

So we need to make a mercenary company!

First we need some difficulty. Ironman won't be used as this is an LP and killing my saves is bad.

Unequipped mechs mean you need to spend some time to equip your newly bought/salvaged chassis.

Parts is how many parts we need to put a mech together – you can get up to three from a kill, and this ranges from three to six.

Overall difficulty will be normal, as I suck.

Mech destruction means if we lose a mech, we lost that mech.

Advanced mechwarriors are the number of guys we can hire who are above normal skill level.

The others are fairly self explanitory, apart from starting planet – which choses where we start on the map.

This is a big galaxy

And here are our locations – this only really affects who we are fighting at the start, and there is nothing stopping us jetting across the galaxy.

Next we will move on to our character.

First up, the our origin is the same choices as before, and has next to no impact on the game.

Now, unfortunately for our character, they had a fairly traumatic sweet sixteen, but it set them out on a life path. Each one gives bonuses to some skills. They are pretty self explantatory – guts gives more hit points but they will also help us down skill trees with other advantages.

We then get to choose our career before we founded this mech-warrior company. The soldier one changes depending on your location, but the bonus is the same.

We need a name, and more importantly a call sign. We also need a face. The customization options are vast, so give me in idea or I'll just hit random.

After all this, we somehow got the cash to buy a light mech lance!

Next we need to pick a timeline. This mod has several, with Clan weapons (advance invaders from the outside of the galaxy) being an option later on.

Finally, we need a company name and colour scheme! And a logo, but there are to many of those to list properly, so I'll just pick something I think fits with the company scheme!

So! Suggest the following

Name & Callsign
Company Name
Start Date
Homeland
Terrible life changing event
Career
Start Location

Then give some suggestions for difficulty, and finally
Yes. I will be renaming the mechwarriors to people in this thread. Get your names in.

That is all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Name & Callsign: Tiffany Lawson, “Tango”
Company Name: Red Rovers
Start Date: 3039
Homeland: Arano
Terrible life changing event: Bankruptcy
Career: Pirate
Start Location: Outworlds

Difficulty: All defaults.

And I would like to submit “Marmalade” as a name, with “Mars” as a possible nickname if those are a thing.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Commander Name & Callsign: Adrian Kantor / "Gallant"
Company Name: The Grey Hunters
Homeland: Davion
Terrible life changing event: Family Betrayal
Career: Gladiator
Start Location: Option 1) If possible, whereever Arano are in this game - if that's not doable, Option 2) Rasalhague

Difficulty: Default is fine, except perhaps Unequipped Mechs / x5 Parts needed for construction (got to give some issues, after all)

Personal Name / Callsign: Alexander Crown / "Vedette"

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 29, 2023

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Company name: Grey's giants.
Year: Clan invasion.

quote:

Yes. I will be renaming the mechwarriors to people in this thread. Get your names in.
Callsign "Gun Jam" (name whatever)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Name & Callsign: Marion Darche / "Rooster"
Female, French, and ideally a crazy hair color
Start Date: 3025
Homeland: St. Ives
Terrible life changing event Betrayal
Career Merchant Guard
Start Location: Wherever seems most fun
Difficulty: normal

Then give some suggestions for difficulty, and finally
[Yes. I will be renaming the mechwarriors to people in this thread. Get your names in.

Callsign: Soylent Pudding Feel free to use Soylent or Pudding if the full Callsign is too long.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So what's the difference between 3025 and 3039 (it doesn't mention in the shot)?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So what's the difference between 3025 and 3039 (it doesn't mention in the shot)?

My guess would be that 3025 is pretty basic technology, whereas 3039 is long enough after the discovery of the Helm Memory Core that more advanced star league era lostech is pretty common.
So you can get more advanced equipment to make refitting mechs more interesting, without resorting to OP clan stuff that you can pick up on the later starts.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I vote for 3039

1.5 tech AHOY

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

No real opinion on the setup choices but I volunteer to get my cockpit shot out when a sacrifice is most opportune in the name of profits glory!

Though if we've got callsigns as well as names, "Disposable" on its own might be an okay callsign while leaving the name alone.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i've got no votes for stuff but i'd like bios to be added to the goon pilot roster please

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Some good ideas, but could we get a few votes for one of them ;)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Gallant gets my vote, specifically for the Rasalhague option if doable

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Name & Callsign: Stefan "Wasn't Me" Amaris Jr.
Homeland: the Rim Worlds Republic
Terrible life changing event: Death of the family
Career: Mercenary
Start Location: Outer rim

Please make this my pilot if it doesn't make the cut as MC!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 30, 2023

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Serpentis posted:

Start Location: Option 1) If possible, whereever Arano are in this game - if that's not doable, Option 2) Rasalhague

Difficulty: Default is fine, except perhaps Unequipped Mechs / x5 Parts needed for construction (got to give some issues, after all)

I know nothing about this game, so I vote for this.

Callsign: Meatbag

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Please make me callsign "Dogfood"

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I don't know anything about this game either, but voting that we start in St. Ives because of the gotcha riddle.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Hello Sailor posted:

I don't know anything about this game either, but voting that we start in St. Ives because of the gotcha riddle.

Seconding this

I don't know much about the setting either but apparently they are a peace-loving underdog breakaway nation and this is their symbol:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Serpentis posted:

These options, and a MechWarrior named Cloud Potato, please!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

That Italian Guy posted:

I'll vote for this guy, I like the cut of his jib.

He should definitely be paired with:
Name & Callsign: Richard "Shooting Star" Cameron
Homeland: TerraLyran Commonwealth

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Serpentis posted:

I'll vote for this too!

And I would like to be a mechwarrior, I'm happy with a random name, but I'd like the callsign to be "Oops".

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

And here we go with the setup and the first two missions!

No losses and a few banged up mechs - not a bad start, but I need to get someone on those harder missions soon!

We got the all important XP though, so here are your pilots - if you want to pick how to spend it go ahead - the big square boxes are bonus skills, you get to get a limited number of these, but points in different areas are always good.

This last one shows another thing this mod adds - affinities - the more you pilot a certain mech type, the better you get - some of them are transferable - this is to encourage me to have the same pilots in the same mechs. But of course, we will be putting the pilots into the better mechs as we get them!

So, nice and easy - I think I’ll send Gallant out on that one on one to get more missions in a short period of time - we want to be moving up the difficulty as quickly as we can, getting the salvage in for bigger and better mechs, but for now we’re small time.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 1, 2023

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

It's kinda hard to tell exactly what's happening since apparently youtube is mangling the compression... but there seems to be a cut around the 45 minute mark that looks like you misclicked something your video editing UI and accidentally copypasted most of the timeline so that after the post-mission2 repairs it jumps back to the beginning mission 1 inexplicably?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dammit. I'll take a look later

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

silentsnack posted:

It's kinda hard to tell exactly what's happening since apparently youtube is mangling the compression...

that's just how grey talks

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

that's just how grey talks

Harsh, but true.

A northern english accent and a slight lisp. Youtube should not be my thing, but I'm a stubbon sod.

The video thing is weird, my video is 45mins, the upload an hour.

I've rerendered it and reuploading now. See you in 2 hours. I hope!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I'm just kidding, I've always loved your videos :)

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

This is funny as hell to me.

Good luck Grey!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Guts 3 for Vedette please, when the opportunity arises. (And good luck with the reupload...!)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://youtu.be/rAE-HeLWv1o

Take 2!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Do as you think best with XP for "my" character.

Calling for more Guts thus more health amuses me, all things considered, but I don't actually know if improving health is actually the best path to survivability versus just killing better. Or if it would even be particularly useful for you.

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Please give Mars a point in Tactics for me.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

please slap that 400xp right into biosterous' gunnery, so i can actually hit things at a less terrible rate :D

(side note it's pronounced buy-AWE-stir-us, you were pretty close though!)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sign me up as Lostech

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sign me up as Totally Not Comstar with a preference for autocannons.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

(Also having just seen the vid, a) drat you for putting me in an Urbie, and b) I had no rights pulling off that long range leg shot...)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Serpentis posted:

(Also having just seen the vid, a) drat you for putting me in an Urbie, and b) I had no rights pulling off that long range leg shot...)

You know what you did! (Serpentis is a mate in my RPG group)
That was an amazing shot! it was more of a "oh sod it" moment as I knew ammo/heat was not going to be an issue.

Hopefully the Urbie can be retired soon, it would be a great little mech if it could move more than walking speed.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey Hunter posted:

You know what you did! (Serpentis is a mate in my RPG group)
That was an amazing shot! it was more of a "oh sod it" moment as I knew ammo/heat was not going to be an issue.

Hopefully the Urbie can be retired soon, it would be a great little mech if it could move more than walking speed.

Pretty sure he terrified them

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

The link in the update still points to the removed video, fyi!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'll take a seat as Blue on blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

The link in the update still points to the removed video, fyi!

My edit says its changed? if its 45 mins not 1hr 15 mins its the right one!