Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I gotta say, I am pleasantly surprised by how open minded some of the gbsers can be.

Others, well.....

lol some of them were in SAD crying about russian disinformation. what a shame when it conflicts with reality

quote:

Remarkably, EXPOSE also wrote that, “Another barrier to combating disinformation is the fact that certain Kremlin-backed narratives are factually true” – an admission that underlines that, to many governments and media outlets, “disinformation” is rapidly coming to simply mean “information we disagree with.”

https://www.mintpressnews.com/facebook-fact-checking-organizations-ukraine-funded-washington/281618/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

wasn't the spectacle of the olympics being more than a track and field meet literally pioneered in the 1936 berlin games?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I’ll take the Olympics over U2 any day

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, there seems to be this belief that in every country labeled Authoritarian by the US, every figure across every position in every part of the country speaks for the central government. This isn't true in China, which is a competent superpower with long-term plans for geopolitical control & stability, why should we believe such for Russia, which since the collapse of the USSR has existed in a state of duct tape, rubber bands, and threatening billionaires?

If this guy is saying what they want him to say, why was he fired? Did they not want him to say what they wanted him to say? If that's the case why did they bring him out to say that? If we're to believe this is all a propaganda play, wouldn't the most logical theory be that they brought him out specifically to be fired, to make a fiasco of how reasonable they are? It's as absurd a proposition, but at least its one that plays out rationally.
there was this incident on ukrainian tv of the station depicting eichmann with the host endorsing the genocide of russians and their children [which i do not think represents the views of ukranians in general]
https://twitter.com/ClintEhrlich/status/1503835298832142336

based on some cursory searching, the owner of the tv station and this person apologized. but were the people responsible fired? this incident required the coordination of multiple people to greenlight a genocidal rant while showing a deliberate and preplanned picture of a nazi on television.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

also crimeans voted overwhelmingly in a referendum to join russia afterwards and there's been a history of secession of crimea from ukraine proper since at least 1991

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeh it's at the point where even if everything oh this list was hit, it's now growing. The brewing fight over Crimea's valuable port access is finally a war, ten years later. Ukraine never really wanted to give it up but it happened during an event meant to foster world peace and this poo poo has been inevitable ever since.

The issue was Euromadian which was occuring at exactly the same time, I think it happened within days of the Ukrainian government falling. Honestly, the Russians probably would have preferred it not be around their Olympics but weren't going to stop it because it was too close to it.

It is one of those things people say but when you think about it doesn't make any sense.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
E: nvm, yankee ignorance

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

yellowcar posted:

russia took crimea incredibly easily because ukrainian military stationed there mostly or all defected

https://www.reuters.com/article/cnews-us-ukraine-crisis-crimea-annexatio-idCAKBN1A90G0-OCATP
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26410431

also the takeover (march 27, 2014) happened well after the sochi olympics were over (feb 23, 2014)

lol

quote:

Years before the Crimean annexation, a Ukrainian appointment panel appeared to drop its guard when it interviewed Yeliseyev for the deputy naval commander’s post.
So the panel asked Yeliseyev what he would do if Russia and Ukraine went to war. He replied that he would file for early retirement, according to Myroslav Mamchak, a former Ukrainian naval captain who served with Yeliseyev. Despite this response, Yeliseyev got the job in 2006.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This hand wringing about how "both sides" are "locked in" ignores every single thing that European and American countries did to get involved.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cuttlefush posted:

i think they're neat

i mean the events. yeah the whole thing around them is bad

I mean I'm a drama bitch at heart so yeh I do love the pageantry

But yeh the whole industry around them is loving gross. Atlanta's traffic and public transit infrastructure is pretty much permanently hosed in order to funnel people over to Centennial Park, but not to serve the needs of helping people commute to where they live. But hey, you can buy an Izzy keychain!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

what country do you guys think zelensky flees to

Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada (I'd say Edmonton but he's been a good loyal NATO ally, they're not putting him there lol). Poroshenko's best buddy is from there

London is the real answer though

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

excuse me, the mascot is whatsit

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Russia only took Crimea so easily because it did it during the Winter Olympics. Unfortunately Putin didn't have another world event to use.

It happened after the Olympics.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i think ukraine should drop its "retake all of crimea and donbass and expel all traitors and collaborators" goals (never gonna happen) and return to the negotiating thing

Isentropy posted:

Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada (I'd say Edmonton but he's been a good loyal NATO ally, they're not putting him there lol). Poroshenko's best buddy is from there

it's gonna be London, Ontario

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean the Olympics are generally pretty terrible, not that you can't have some international sports competition, but the entire bidding process has screw over entire countries. It will never happen but there should be a hard cap on what can be spent on the games.

As far as Sochi 2014, it was very expensive but at least some of it actually got a lot of use especially to and around the venues themselves. It is probably the biggest winter sports area in Russia. The main stadium and the other buildings around it were a waste but they always are.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Isentropy posted:

I thought we were against war crimes?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

zelensky should chill out in Alert, Nunavut with his new best friend canadian armed forces artillery officer :angel:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

dudes rock

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

redneck nazgul posted:

zelensky should chill out in Alert, Nunavut with his new best friend canadian armed forces artillery officer :angel:

The camera slowly starts backing away - "Did I ever tell you about the Siege of Przemyśl? Now there's a story..."

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Do you not realize I was saying that being genocide isn't the only marker of what makes poo poo hosed up brutal senseless killing that's morally hosed

I get that everyone is touchy about what is and isn't a genocide in here but that isn't the only thing that matters. Both sides have locked themselves into a death spiral.

Why are you repeating what has already been said?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

captainbananas posted:

NOTE: I am not a bubblehead.

Really interesting post, thanks for the post! Kind of crazy one guy was able to pull all that off in spite of the rest of the DoD.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Isentropy posted:

yea, i think there was some troll post about him having a place in miami but iirc the panama papers were about london properties and a place in milan

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Ardennes posted:

The camera slowly starts backing away - "Did I ever tell you about the Siege of Przemyśl? Now there's a story..."

zelenksy becomes first non-italian in modern times to defect to the victorious nation after surrendering

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

in fact, you could say because of the relative little to no resistance in taking crimea, the russians wrongly assumed there would also be mass defections from the ukrainian military in the donbass during the initial stages of the invasion

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
let’s play a game…

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Round-up of news of the day

President of Ukraine

quote:

https://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/gotuyemo-povernennya-nashih-voyiniv-do-aktivnih-dij-zaradi-z-81361

We are preparing the return of our warriors to actions for the liberation of our land - address by the President of Ukraine
28 February 2023 - 22:48

Today, I held a regular meeting of the Staff. Again in an expanded format. The Main Intelligence Directorate, the Ministry of Defense, the Commander-in-Chief, and the commanders of directions delivered reports. We are dealing in detail with the situation on each of the frontline directions.

The most difficult situation is still Bakhmut and the battles that are important for the defense of the city.

I'll give you just one example. Nowadays, the meetings of the Staff are held quite often - at least twice a week. The last meeting was on Thursday. And today, General Syrskyi reported that since the last meeting, about 800 enemies have been killed in his direction alone.

Russia does not count people at all, sending them to constantly storm our positions. The intensity of fighting is only increasing.

I thank all Ukrainian warriors who, despite this insane pressure from the occupier, are defending our positions and destroying the Russian army! I thank each and every one who supports our warriors!

Of course, we also considered other areas in Donbas, as well as the areas of responsibility of the Tavria and Odesa groups. General Moskalyov reported on the situation around Kherson and the region. This day there were more than 30 Russian shelling occasions in the Kherson region! They were shelling just streets, just people. My condolences to all those who have lost their loved ones. Today we have already lost four people. We will do everything to suppress the terrorists.

General Nayev reported on the situation in the north and along the border - our forces are in control of the situation.

As always, we reviewed in detail the logistics for the frontline and the coverage of deficits.

US Department of Defense

quote:

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3313904/defense-officials-us-ensures-accountability-of-systems-supplied-to-ukraine

Defense Officials: U.S. Ensures Accountability of Systems Supplied to Ukraine
Feb. 28, 2023 | By David Vergun , DOD News

The United States has provided $31.7 billion in support since Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine a year ago. Allies and partners have provided over $19 billion during that timeframe.

"Even as we focus on getting Ukraine what it needs, we've always prioritized accountability, and Ukraine has, too. We have adapted our accountability practices for the combat environment to address the risk of illicit diversion, using mechanisms that go above and beyond our standard practices," Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Colin H. Kahl today told the House Armed Services Committee.

Kahl said U.S. officials have had talks with their Ukrainian counterparts for years regarding the issue of corruption and the importance of accountability and transparency.

"I think there have been improvements over time, especially in the defense sector," he said.

The U.S. has provided the Ukrainians with ways to track the military systems it provides, he said. Tracking includes scanners and software, as well as remote visits to sites when conditions permit.

"We don't see any evidence of diversion in our reporting," Kahl said. "We think the Ukrainians are using properly what they've been given," he said.

Reuters

quote:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russians-intensify-assault-bakhmut-ukrainian-forces-try-dig-2023-03-01/

Russians intensify assault on Bakhmut, Ukrainian forces try to dig in
March 1

March 1 (Reuters) - Russian forces carried out continuous attacks on the eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut in their quest for a breakthrough in the year-long war, and one U.S. official predicted few short-term territorial gains for Russia.

Ukrainian aircraft launched three strikes on areas of concentration of Russian forces, according to a statement by the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces on Tuesday night.

Bakhmut had a pre-war population of around 70,000 but has been ruined during months of fighting as a focal point of Russian assaults and determined Ukrainian defence.

In Washington, senior U.S. defence official Colin Kahl told a congressional hearing on Tuesday that the front lines of the war were a "grinding slog" and there was nothing to suggest "the Russians can sweep across Ukraine and make significant territorial gains anytime in the next year or so."

Kahl spoke during a hearing focused on oversight of the nearly $32 billion in military aid President Joe Biden's administration has provided to Ukraine since Russia's invasion on Feb. 24 last year, including drones, long-range artillery systems, and air defence capabilities.

Guardian

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/28/world-war-one-relentless-battle-for-bakhmut-ukraine

‘If you don’t burrow in you die pretty quickly’: the relentless battle for Bakhmut

Oleh Bendyk showed off a video taken in Ukraine’s eastern forests. It shows a group of soldiers from Bendyk’s 103rd brigade sheltering in a sandy trench. Around them a battle rages. There are explosions, booms, and the rattle of small arms fire. A grad missile crashes down among the pine trees, in a large orange fireball.

“Some bastards are firing at us from over there. But we can’t see who they are because of the forest,” a soldier says. He adds: “A Grad now! Do you see how we get hit? It’s been like this since 7am. And now it’s 11am. That’s how it loving is, folks!”

Bendyk and his fellow Ukrainian soldiers have been holding off a surging Russian offensive west of Kreminna, a city that Moscow captured last year. Further along the same front, Ukrainian soldiers are doggedly defending the town of Bakhmut, once home to 70,000 people. Fighting has gone on there for months.

“That was an ordinary day,” Bendyk said of the hellish forest video, shot in late January. “Some days are a lot worse, when our guys get injured or killed. The Russians have a lot of artillery. They go quadrant by quadrant. We need more counter-battery fire.”

Other videos filmed by his brigade show soldiers trudging cheerfully through thick snow, trundling along in an armoured personnel carrier, and shrieking in terror when a military helicopter flies low above their car, missing them by a few metres. “Suka Bliad!”, one serviceman screams – “loving hell!”

Bendyk also shared with the Guardian footage of an enemy tank captured in the city of Izium during last autumn’s dramatic counter-offensive in the north-east Kharkiv province. There are destroyed vehicles and a clip of a wounded serviceman.

The Russians have mostly encircled Bakhmut from three directions. They can shell the only road in and out of the town, a precarious supply route. It is unclear if Ukraine can hang on or will be forced to withdraw. Last weekend Yevgeny Prigozhin, the Russian oligarch and Wagner’s founder, said his private troops had captured the village of Yahidne, on Bakhmut’s northern outskirts. Ukraine’s military command denies this, but acknowledges Russia is trying to advance, and grinding forward where it can, settlement by settlement.

“They have a lot of artillery. We won’t let Bakhmut fall,” Malesh – a 23-year-old Ukrainian soldier said, speaking during a short break from the frontline. He had travelled 25 miles west to the Ukrainian-controlled city of Kramatorsk and was shopping in a supermarket. Street to street fighting was taking place in Bakhmut, he said. “The Russians are 150 metres from us in some places. We don’t see them but we can hear their voices,” he said.

Most analysts think the Kremlin’s ambition to reach the border of Donetsk province is unlikely to succeed. They cite logistical difficulties and a lack of Russian infantry. Just west of Bakhmut, Ukraine has constructed a formidable defensive system and trench network. It sits in front of an urban agglomeration that includes Kramatorsk and Sloviansk, the latter city briefly seized by Russian groups in summer 2014.

Washington Post

quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/02/28/republicans-ukraine-biden-pentagon/

Congress presses Pentagon on Biden’s reluctance to give Ukraine F-16s
By Dan Lamothe
Updated February 28, 2023 at 5:35 p.m. EST
Published February 28, 2023 at 7:00 a.m. EST

Ukrainian forces would need at least 18 months to learn how to fly and maintain F-16 fighter jets in combat, a senior Pentagon official told Congress on Tuesday as the Biden administration continued to fend off questions about why a frequent request from Kyiv and, increasingly, some American politicians remains unfulfilled.

The issue has dogged the administration for months, as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky continues to make regular public pleas for the planes and U.S. lawmakers question why Ukrainian pilots are not in training to learn how they operate.

“I do think this conversation will continue,” Colin Kahl, the undersecretary of defense for policy, explained to members of the House Armed Services Committee. In a best-case scenario, he said, older F-16s could be transferred within about 18 months. To purchase and deliver new ones, he noted, could take up to six years, adding that U.S. Air Force personnel have assessed that for Ukraine to upgrade its fleet of fighter aircraft, it probably will need about 80 jets.

“It’s just hard for me to tell any member of Congress, of the American public, that the best use of that dollar spent right now is on F-16s,” Kahl said.

New York Times

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/28/us/politics/ukraine-congress-military-spending-republicans-democrats.html

Lawmakers Question Pentagon on Ukraine Funds, Signaling Fresh Doubts
By Karoun Demirjian
Feb. 28, 2023, 7:18 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — Republicans in Congress sharply questioned senior Pentagon officials on Tuesday about the tens of billions of dollars in military and other aid the United States has sent to Ukraine, casting doubt on whether they would embrace future spending as Democrats pleaded for a cleareyed assessment of how much more money would be needed.

The exchanges at committee hearings, coming just days after the anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, highlighted how concerns about the high cost of sending weapons to Kyiv have intensified on Capitol Hill. The growing doubts have threatened what was once a strong bipartisan consensus in favor of the aid and could make it more difficult for the Biden administration to win congressional approval of funds to replenish its military assistance accounts. The funding inflection point could come as soon as this summer, months earlier than previously expected.

The hearings also illustrated how members of both parties, despite expressing confidence that a majority in Congress remains committed to supporting Ukraine, are concerned that a determined minority — including right-wing Republicans who eschew U.S. involvement in foreign conflicts and liberal antiwar Democrats — may weaken that resolve if the war continues to drag on.
On Tuesday at a hearing of the House Armed Services Committee, Representative Mike D. Rogers, of Alabama, the chairman, took the unorthodox step of handing over his question time to Representative Andrew Clyde, an outspoken critic of funding for Ukraine who does not sit on the panel. Mr. Clyde, a Georgia Republican, quizzed a top Defense Department official about allegations of lost and diverted weapons, whistle-blowers, and fraud.

“Accountability of the weapons shipped in is absolutely paramount, especially the most sensitive weapons, to ensure they are being used for their intended purposes and not diverted for nefarious purposes,” Mr. Clyde told Robert P. Storch, the Pentagon’s inspector general.

Pledges to send tanks, the grinding nature of the war on the ground and a steady clamor from certain corners of Congress to greenlight advanced systems for Ukraine have threatened to drain war funds at a faster clip than appropriators anticipated last December, when lawmakers approved about $45 billion in military and other assistance, projecting it would last until the end of September.

The steep price tag of the war has prompted Congress to issue a battery of oversight requirements for information about how the money has been spent, some of which has been provided to lawmakers. Yet few of those details have reached the public.

“We’re all concerned about accountability,” said Representative Joe Wilson, Republican of South Carolina, who has supported Ukraine funding ventures in the past. “Please, let’s get this publicized so the American people can trust what the expenditures are.”

The accelerating spending and dearth of detailed information have fueled the resolve of several naysayers, who doubled down this week on a campaign to cast the Ukraine assistance program as a failed boondoggle, with the apparent tacit blessing of party leaders.

Mr. Storch and other Pentagon officials testified that there had been no substantiated instances of sensitive weapons being diverted for ill purposes, but his statements did not silence the critics.
“You cannot testify that we have complied with the end-use monitoring requirements at all times during this conflict, can you?” insisted Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, accusing Mr. Storch of dodging.

Democrats, too, voiced concerns on Tuesday, pleading with Pentagon leaders to be straight with them about how much more money lawmakers could expect to be asked to approve for Ukraine.

“How many more times do you think Congress needs to provide aid?” Representative Ro Khanna, Democrat of California, asked Colin H. Kahl, the under secretary of defense for policy, during his appearance before the Armed Services panel. “What do you think, at the end, is the end game?”

The questioning was mirrored by some Democrats on the House Appropriations panel that oversees military spending posed similar questions to Celeste Wallander, the assistant secretary of defense for international security affairs.

“How much bigger would the bill be?” asked Representative Ed Case, Democrat of Hawaii, expressing concern about the administration’s successive requests for more aid. “We have to at least anticipate that possibility that we would see a higher bill next year.”

Pentagon leaders were reluctant to commit to either a figure or a timeline upon which they would be seeking additional funds, saying that the vagaries of the war made it impossible to commit to a schedule.

“I don’t have a sense of whether it would be higher or reduced; I just know that we are planning for the kind of effective deterrent force that Ukraine will need,” Ms. Wallander said.

Mr. Kahl suggested that the demands of some lawmakers to step up military assistance to Ukraine could further complicate the Biden administration’s efforts to keep the war effort supplied.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's more like Russia hosed up in 2022 the same way they hosed up in 2014 assuming that the more Russian leaning ruling class in Ukraine would manage to get the upper hand in a crisis

This half assed and blase approach to what is supposed to be a vital national interest is one of the reasons why things are going the way they are.

But you might hear that interpretation only from Ukrainians that are fighting on Russia's side.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao at nazis being normalized and considered good by the liberals

always have been

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol they handed china their entire market share

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mm yes it was provoked and this war is an entirely rational response and harm reduction says the people being invaded should lay down and stop resisting for their own good got it got it

Da.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Mm yes it was provoked and this war is an entirely rational response and harm reduction says the people being invaded should lay down and stop resisting for their own good got it got it

Is there an assumption here that surrendering means laying down your arms and standing still while the victor keeps shooting?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
i have it on good authority that vladimir putin posts in TCC

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

"Surrender is worse than death" is fascist ideology 101.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t know if Zelensky would come here because Poroshenko is our guy. I would expect the UK.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know if Zelensky would come here because Poroshenko is our guy. I would expect the UK.

we love our exiled losers tho

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/ukraine-intel-chief-sees-no-signs-china-plans-to-arm-russia

quote:

KYIV - Ukraine’s head of military intelligence has brushed aside claims that China is considering furnishing arms to Russia, telling US media that he saw no “signs that such things are even being discussed”.

Senior US officials have said as recently as Sunday that they were “confident” China was considering the supply of lethal equipment to Moscow, with a diplomatic pressure campaign under way to discourage it from doing so.

But when asked about the possibility in a lengthy interview with Voice of America published on Monday, Ukrainian military intelligence chief Kyrylo Budanov said: “I do not share this opinion.”

“As of now, I do not think that China will agree to the transfer of weapons to Russia,” he said.

“I do not see any signs that such things are even being discussed.”

lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Homeless Friend posted:

lol they handed china their entire market share
Makes sense now that Russia is selling all of its gas to China and India. US tries to sanction Russia and ends up buying goods made from Russian oil anyways.

I'll be surprised if Russia doesn't start building more pipelines to China during this war.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

communist antifa american joined ukraine's foreign legion and risked getting killed with a plan to be a double agent!? lmao

so some dumbass antifa american bought into the putler narrative, discovered that nazi ideology had taken over ukrainian troops and decided to parlay what he learnt/got to retroactively justify volunteering, right? luckiest idiot ever to not get a executed by azov or eat an entire 155mm shell to the face

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/1630625143847284743

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Makes sense now that Russia is selling all of its gas to China and India. US tries to sanction Russia and ends up buying goods made from Russian oil anyways.

I'll be surprised if Russia doesn't start building more pipelines to China during this war.

lol power of siberia 2 is already planned

https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/15/moscow-says-power-of-siberia-2-pipeline-to-china-will-replace-nord-stream-2

quote:

Moscow has announced that Nord Stream 2 will be "replaced" by an alternative gas pipeline to China.

Power of Siberia 2, something Moscow and Beijing have discussed for several years, will take the place of Nord Stream 2, said Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak on Thursday.

Nordstream 2 is a proposed route for bringing Russian gas to Europe, particularly Germany. Construction of the controversial pipeline was completed in September 2021, though its certification was suspended following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Speaking on Russian state television, Novak was asked if the Asian pipeline could replace its European counterpart within Russia's energy strategy -- to which he replied "yes".