Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

how does that even happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

crepeface posted:

yeah, this is from the 90s

and now with all the western sanctions, the russian oligarchs basically have no choice but to back putin. western sanctions literally reinforcing putin's domestic power in a way that he could never do himself :roflolmao:

God drat who wouldn't want to be gay for Putin.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

how does that even happen

i mean i can't begin to fathom

like just the whole choosing to go into a war zone willingly

i can only assume these people have a kinda magical thinking where they figure everything will somehow work out. Like everyone around them is dying and the shells are falling and its just mud and blood everywhere, but they won't die, it'll be fine.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
are you suggesting they have main character syndrome

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

i can only assume these people have a kinda magical thinking where they figure everything will somehow work out. Like everyone around them is dying and the shells are falling and its just mud and blood everywhere, but they won't die, it'll be fine.

I assume a lot of them are going into this thinking it's going to be like Iraq where they spend all day in the green zone eating pizza hut and shooting unarmed brown people.

And then they face a professional army.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just learned about another exercise of Supremacy vs Superiority, with surprising results

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that is a pretty suspect story though. smells like absolute bullshit. but he shaves his bear in the shape of a jawline, which is so stupid it suggests that did in fact happen. did anyone watch the video?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-CATCH?useskin=vector posted:

5-to-1 kill ratio over the fighters when fighting at close ranges with guns.

what the gently caress

oh, okay.

quote:

The official report details how the F-15 was able to lock on to the helicopters from around 64 km. However, it did not get visual ID until 6-9 km. (Beyond-visual range combat wasn't practiced at this exercise.) When AIM-7 Sparrows were employed for the F-15, it stacked a 2.9-1 kill ratio on the helicopters. F-4s with 20 mm cannons were less fortunate, stacking up a 0.7-1 kill ratio. The A-10 did slightly better with its 30 mm gun stacking up a 1.3-1 kill ratio.

this is pretty funny that they actually tested scenarios we've probably all hosed around with in arma or something as a goof.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Mar 1, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

crepeface posted:

communist antifa american joined ukraine's foreign legion and risked getting killed with a plan to be a double agent!? lmao

so some dumbass antifa american bought into the putler narrative, discovered that nazi ideology had taken over ukrainian troops and decided to parlay what he learnt/got to retroactively justify volunteering, right? luckiest idiot ever to not get a executed by azov or eat an entire 155mm shell to the face

I salute this brave moron.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

mlmp08 posted:

plus even if Russia wanted to flatten Kyiv, it’s like… a really, really big city. It dwarfs Mariupol many times over, which was months and months of combat after encirclement.

I'm pretty sure they can flatten Kiev if they really put their heart into it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cuttlefush posted:

that is a pretty suspect story though. smells like absolute bullshit. but he shaves his bear in the shape of a jawline, which is so stupid it suggests that did in fact happen. did anyone watch the video?

the site even has speed controls so you can watch it pretty quickly.

there's several clips from his tiktoks with ukrainian troops

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah so they're heavily warped by western propaganda but then *something* happens to make them completely 180? someone read the interview and find out what's going on

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
id just do a 360 and walk away from crimea

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

crepeface posted:

the site even has speed controls so you can watch it pretty quickly.

there's several clips from his tiktoks with ukrainian troops

gonna have to corroborate it by finding the original tiktoks. i can believe terrel starr magooing around with right sector and poo poo but that defection scenario, him going "i was on your side all along, russia" and them going "cool. so when can we tell your story?" as smoothly as that all sounds is real bizarre. i'll watch it and see how strong my goonish curiousity goes. stupid enough it's probably exactly what happened

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2023/02/27/national/defense/Korea-Ukraine-Volodymyr-Zelenskyy/20230227174818247.html this get posted yet?

quote:

The United States has asked to purchase more artillery ammunition from Korea, local sources said, as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky expressed hope that Korea will send military support against the ongoing Russian invasion of his country.

According to anonymous government sources cited by the JoongAng Ilbo, Seoul received a new request for artillery ammunition from Washington last week and is currently deliberating the matter.

The United States previously bought 100,000 rounds of 155-millimeter howitzer artillery shells from Korea to send to Ukraine in November.

But Seoul’s Defense Ministry said at the time that the ammunition purchase was conducted “under the premise that the United States is the end user,” and the sale was intended to replenish depleted U.S. stockpiles.

Regarding the latest U.S. request, a Korean defense official who spoke to the JoongAng Ilbo last week on condition of anonymity only said, “There is no change to our stance of not supplying lethal military aid to Ukraine.”

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Dudes rock

quote:

As the exercise continued, the 20th increasingly took on the role of the Soviet pilots. The maintenance crews hung a red tablecloth on a pole and mounted it to the back of their truck, and then added red scarves made of cut up rags. Aircrew took up this bit of flair, which has remained part of the uniform of the 20th to this day. A red star was added as a mission patch.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

but it's crimea back there

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

lololololololo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

what the gently caress

oh, okay.

this is pretty funny that they actually tested scenarios we've probably all hosed around with in arma or something as a goof.

On the one hand, it is indeed a bad idea to take a fighter fromt he 1970s and go gunfighting with helicopters in valleys. On the other, it sounds like a lot of the helicopter gun kills were them just rotating and saying "yeah, I woulda shot that jet."

With modern look-down radars and missiles, it's decidedly less favorable for helicopters, who should just hide as much as possible.

Freezer posted:

I'm pretty sure they can flatten Kiev if they really put their heart into it.

Nukes exist, sure, but cities are large and made of lots of concrete and metal. They take an insane amount of time and ordnance to flatten.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

quote:

The platform represented a serious threat to NATO armour. The results of earlier experiments, and the lack of modern organic air-defence units in the Army, suggested that the Hind would run rampant over the battlefield.

it keeps happening

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, among the best ways to tear up helicopters is either from range or with SAMs and AAA, as seen in this conflict as well. Even without fighters out hunting helicopters, both Russia and Ukraine are reduced to some pretty degraded helicopter ops, due to threat from ground fire.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lol

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So we straight up lied to our ally to get a bunch of shells for Ukr, and then went back for seconds

Goddamn

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mlmp08 posted:

On the one hand, it is indeed a bad idea to take a fighter fromt he 1970s and go gunfighting with helicopters in valleys. On the other, it sounds like a lot of the helicopter gun kills were them just rotating and saying "yeah, I woulda shot that jet."

With modern look-down radars and missiles, it's decidedly less favorable for helicopters, who should just hide as much as possible.

Nukes exist, sure, but cities are large and made of lots of concrete and metal. They take an insane amount of time and ordnance to flatten.

oh yeah, it's just funny that they did that at all. sounded like they were worried about scenarios where they'd have that colonial police action kind of roe. not exactly anything applicable to war war.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

oh yeah, it's just funny that they did that at all. sounded like they were worried about scenarios where they'd have that colonial police action kind of roe. not exactly anything applicable to war war.

Having learned this lesson, the F-15s just decided that if they ever saw enemy helicopters, they'd visually ID them from fast and far away and shoot them from afar, while the helicopters were clueless.

It worked, I guess. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Black_Hawk_shootdown_incident

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mlmp08 posted:

Having learned this lesson, the F-15s just decided that if they ever saw enemy helicopters, they'd visually ID them from fast and far away and shoot them from afar, while the helicopters were clueless.

It worked, I guess. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Black_Hawk_shootdown_incident

how the gently caress did it manage that with an awacs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

helicopters seem extremely fail

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Danann posted:

it keeps happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCOPY6we3_4

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

BrotherJayne posted:

So we straight up lied to our ally to get a bunch of shells for Ukr, and then went back for seconds

Goddamn

not really, it's just korea going "oh we're totally still pacifist and not providing ammo to an active war zone, we're providing ammo to our allies the us who is in turn providing it to their ally, ukraine, but that has nothing to do with us :)" and hoping other countries don't notice or care (very likely)

international relations are very stupid sometimes

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

still better than the tanks though

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

how the gently caress did it manage that with an awacs

The AWACS crew straight up told the F-15 pilots that they held no contacts in that location and could not ID the track (low and in valley terrain). The F-15 flight misidentified the helicopters, and the F-15 pilots made the call to shoot.

AWACS always have limitations, but especially low and in terrain.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lobster shirt posted:

if helicopters were fail could they do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1le2E6SuTM

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikh0hSN_KJk

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

so as someone who only tangentially follows the war, it seems like Ukraine’s best opportunity to negotiate was a few months ago. It seems like Russia can just play the long game and wait for funding for Ukraine to run out to get maximum concessions. is this right?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mean Baby posted:

so as someone who only tangentially follows the war, it seems like Ukraine’s best opportunity to negotiate was a few months ago. It seems like Russia can just play the long game and wait for funding for Ukraine to run out to get maximum concessions. is this right?

Russia can technically do that, but also has a lower tolerance for loss because the war is not existential for them. So yeah technically but will they?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mlmp08 posted:

The AWACS crew straight up told the F-15 pilots that they held no contacts in that location and could not ID the track (low and in valley terrain). The F-15 flight misidentified the helicopters, and the F-15 pilots made the call to shoot.

AWACS always have limitations, but especially low and in terrain.

"don't kill wyvern."

"im gonna kill wyvern..."

it sounded like helicopters were on and off the AWACS radar, were sloppy about tracking them with markers, had some IFF mode gently caress ups/mismatch, and the AWACS didn't mention any of that to the F-15s? And then the F-15s reported they had contacts and the AWACS still didn't mention the helicopters. And then the visual inspections started.

quote:

All 26 people on board the two Black Hawks were killed. After flying over the wreckage of the two helicopters lying burning on the ground, May radioed Wickson, "Stick a fork in them, they're done."

incredible

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There's also the argument that the best time to negotiate may have been years ago, but I assume you meant once the war started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mean Baby posted:

well i suppose russia's ability to continue funding the war is also something of an open question. while it's clear that western sanctions have not had the desired effect i don't think russia has the ability to stay in this war indefinitely either. wars are expensive. special military operations, also, are expensive.