Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

well i suppose russia's ability to continue funding the war is also something of an open question. while it's clear that western sanctions have not had the desired effect i don't think russia has the ability to stay in this war indefinitely either. wars are expensive. special military operations, also, are expensive.

makes sense - my gut tells me China has a lot of incentive to back stop Russia if they asked pretty please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mean Baby posted:

so as someone who only tangentially follows the war, it seems like Ukraine’s best opportunity to negotiate was a few months ago. It seems like Russia can just play the long game and wait for funding for Ukraine to run out to get maximum concessions. is this right?

A year ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Russia%E2%80%93Ukraine_peace_negotiations

The chance for some kind of peace was between march/may of last year.

Russia is gearing up for a long war. Spinning up the military industrial complex, army reforms, all that stuff. It will take years though.

I saw someone mention that US/NATO threatened at least 3 years of war for Russia.

Which makes sense, Biden will still be president for 2 more years. Even if Trump gets elected, it would take time to go against the momentum of military supplies being sent to Ukraine.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mean Baby posted:

so as someone who only tangentially follows the war, it seems like Ukraine’s best opportunity to negotiate was a few months ago. It seems like Russia can just play the long game and wait for funding for Ukraine to run out to get maximum concessions. is this right?

Don't actually know. Ukraine has had a pretty firm "we're taking it all back, no negotiating" policy. We can't really know how OK Russia is with the current pace or what they would actually settle for if Ukraine came to the negotiating table. Since Ukraine's been hardline no negotiation, there hasn't been any negotiation, so we don't really know how firm Russia's demands are. I mean at minimum I'd assume it'd be the original Crima recognition, independent Luhansk/Donetsk. I assume a land bridge connecting Crimea is also necessary? Don't know.

I think Russia's last statement was no plans to negotiate at this time, but that'd probably change if Ukraine changed it's stance. The "Chinese Peace Proposal" that got some news is uh, not really a proposal. https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/202302/t20230224_11030713.html.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Did it attract a mate?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

irl arma hotdogging helo insert pilot

spacetoaster posted:

Did it attract a mate?

chinooks only do that when they're in distress etc etc

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mean Baby posted:

russia has gotta win before the Abrams arrive or they are toast

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

CODChimera posted:

russia has gotta win before the Abrams arrive or they are toast

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mean Baby posted:

speng31b posted:

Russia can technically do that, but also has a lower tolerance for loss because the war is not existential for them. So yeah technically but will they?

they've said they consider ukraine in NATO to be existential tho. i think russia thinks it can handle a long war more than the West, which is who they're really up against (assuming it stays as a proxy war and we don't get NATO boots on the ground).

assuming Western aid dries up, ukraine either capitulates or we get some kind of miserable afghanistan situation. i don't think russia wants to hold western ukraine (galicia), but would accept a demilitarized rump state.

imo, ukraine's best possible future involves them cutting some sort of deal very loving soon where they get to keep access to the black sea through odesa, but it's really tough when merkel, poroshenko and hollande are all saying minsk was delaying tactic to arm ukraine, so i suspect any peace plan would have to involve some kind of weapons inspection verification, maybe managed by turkey + a BRICS/SCO state?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://twitter.com/TimothyDSnyder/status/1630629116905963523?s=20

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

So I've never seen it discussed here but does anyone else check out of reading articles whenever they mention the phrase "illegal war" or did you develop like a cognitive callus where you just don't see it anymore

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6jjH8O-UUs

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
love 2 watch mackinder world island theory unfold in real time

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Leandros posted:

So I've never seen it discussed here but does anyone else check out of reading articles whenever they mention the phrase "illegal war" or did you develop like a cognitive callus where you just don't see it anymore

i always write it in if i don't see it in front of war. i can't actually remember reading it much so i probably just got a callus.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
siri pull up the number of times mainstream american articles called americas invasion of iraq illegal

oh really? zero? huh

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Leandros posted:

I actually don’t mind illegal on a technicality that under certain laws it actually is illegal, now whether either party is under the jurisdiction of the applicable international laws is less clear. Even less clear is who will prosecute and administer punishment.

It’s when they put ‘unprovoked’ or ‘unjustified’ that I zone out. Like all of a sudden causality in the universe has ceased and the war sprang into being. You don’t have to agree with the justification or think the provocation justifies the war, but there is a relational line between Maidan, Minsk, and an ongoing civil war, that led to Russias illegal invasion. It doesn’t even necessarily make Ukraine not the more-wronged party to admit this, but message discipline has to come before reality.

e: for example under Ukrainian law it is illegal for Russian troops to engage in unauthorized military activities in Ukraine. Textbook illegality, open and shut case if they press charges.

Turtle Watch has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Mar 1, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i condemn russias invasion of ukraine but even im not stupid enough to think this was unprovoked it was super duper provoked

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Leandros posted:

Turtle Watch posted:

It’s when they put ‘unprovoked’ or ‘unjustified’ that I zone out.

makes me twitchy

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

thinking about some legal wars like iraq, afghanistan, saudi intervention in yemen, everything in both congo wars and nodding along.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Leandros posted:

All wars are illegal unless your commando squad has a permission slip from the hall monitor.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ItohRespectArmy posted:

thinking about some legal wars like iraq, afghanistan, saudi intervention in yemen, everything in both congo wars and nodding along.

The Nazis also codified all the horrible they did. The reichs all hail from a strong tradition of laws.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The war on Christmas was justified.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also if you get captured and taken to an interrogation cellar with car batteries, roofing nails and other fun things in store don't sweat it.

Just tell your interrogator "my mum told me not to get dirty and I have to be home by 5". They'll just let you go on the spot.

Works every time.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

mlmp08 posted:

The war on Christmas was justified.

Correct, there was a justification claimed by at least one party in the declaration of war.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

There's also the argument that the best time to negotiate may have been years ago, but I assume you meant once the war started.

They did twice in a city called Minsk and the Euros admitted their side did it in bad faith.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Leandros posted:

regular psychic hygiene is important

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

White supremacy vs white superiority

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

bagual posted:

not really, it's just korea going "oh we're totally still pacifist and not providing ammo to an active war zone, we're providing ammo to our allies the us who is in turn providing it to their ally, ukraine, but that has nothing to do with us :)" and hoping other countries don't notice or care (very likely)

international relations are very stupid sometimes

did you read the loving article?

they're like "yo, you said that batch was for you, and you gave it to Ukr. Now you want another?"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

White supremacy vs white superiority

Me and da boyz iz all about greenskin superiority.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

BrotherJayne posted:

they're like "yo, you said that batch was for you, and you gave it to Ukr. Now you want another?"

do you really believe the korean gov was fooled? Where else would the US army need 100000 shells on short notice? I assume the US was paying for the ammo and they're like "sure whatever, still not aiding ukraine directly tho"

going for seconds is kinda forcing the issue but i'd say the deal will still go thru, SK military is very aligned to US interests

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
100,000 rounds is what, enough for 3 weeks of shelling?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bagual posted:

going for seconds is kinda forcing the issue but i'd say the deal will still go thru, SK is a slave to the US

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kim jong un heard shells and ate them all because he thought they were peanuts lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"illegal war" was a phrase that was used once upon a time to describe the invasion of Iraq, but it's a very Democrat-brained mentality because it assumes that invading would have been just peachy had it gone through the right committees and floor votes

it's like when Democrats criticized Trump for launching missile strikes on Syria by saying that he didn't have Congressional approval: it completely sidesteps the question of whether Congress would have given him that approval anyway, and whether Congressional approval makes it okay to blow up parts of Syria

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i dont know what the deal with the john mcintyre guy is, but he repeatedly says "im a communist", describes taking back america in a way that doesn't sound quite right. he also apparently brought a a fancy version of his... high school diploma with him? 6:33 in the video. he apparently did a 2-year enlistment, which I guess they did make a thing, but i've never seen someone reminisce about their enlistment with a smile like that.

this boy ain't right. "We've gotta fight nazism everywhere we go, even in America." Like, even in America?

That fat texan guy who had been living in Donbass made sense. this guy sounds weird as gently caress and the situation he's in makes no sense. i would not let this guy into my polycule.

Starting at 14:45, he said he got known as a whistle blower (while trying to join azov?), and then fucks off to odessa, and begs his family for $300 to get from odessa, to chisinau, moldova where he "made contact" and got his visa, to istanbul, to moscow. why did he bring his high school diploma

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 08:22 on Mar 1, 2023

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

bagual posted:

do you really believe the korean gov was fooled? Where else would the US army need 100000 shells on short notice? I assume the US was paying for the ammo and they're like "sure whatever, still not aiding ukraine directly tho"

going for seconds is kinda forcing the issue but i'd say the deal will still go thru, SK military is very aligned to US interests

the plan initially published was we would be sending our standing stocks to Ukraine, and replenishing with the SK munitions

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Cuttlefush posted:

i dont know what the deal with the john mcintyre guy is, but he repeatedly says "im a communist", describes taking back america in a way that doesn't sound quite right. he also apparently brought a a fancy version of his... high school diploma with him? 6:33 in the video. he apparently did a 2-year enlistment, which I guess they did make a thing, but i've never seen someone reminisce about their enlistment with a smile like that.

this boy ain't right. "We've gotta fight nazism everywhere we go, even in America." Like, even in America?

That fat texan guy who had been living in Donbass made sense. this guy sounds weird as gently caress and the situation he's in makes no sense. i would not let this guy into my polycule.

Starting at 14:45, he said he got known as a whistle blower (while trying to join azov?), and then fucks off to odessa, and begs his family for $300 to get from odessa, to chisinau, moldova where he "made contact" and got his visa, to istanbul, to moscow. why did he bring his high school diploma

Just keep that man out of Dallas.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Turtle Watch posted:

Just keep that man out of Dallas.

i mean, i wouldn't have a problem with it. but yeah lol that did cross my mind a few times.

actually the commonalities with oswald are pretty funny. although at least oswald went "im a communist" and actually went to a communist country.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Mar 1, 2023

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

so apparently wagner took out the literal Boris Johnson Brigade:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That is just almost the Bretonnia coat of arms.

BrotherJayne posted:

I think it was supposed to be a fig-leaf thing: "you send your shells to Ukraine and we will replace them" but the US just sent all the shells. Obviously, South Korea doesn't want to piss off Russia too much because they know Russia has the ability to open up trade and tech transfers to the north.

It is why also why if there was an actual fight over Taiwan, SK would probably just hunker down rather than fight an apocalyptic war with their neighbors.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:44 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Comrade Koba posted:

so apparently wagner took out the literal Boris Johnson Brigade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24th_Mechanized_Brigade_(Ukraine)?useskin=vector apparently this

quote:

The brigade saw its first combat in almost 70 years during the war in Donbas from 2014. Its Soviet honorifics were progressively removed and replaced with the King Daniel of Galicia honorific following the beginning of the war in Donbas.