Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Holey moley, is this a full kit on its own or does it require another kit to build on?

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2656313001001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

MillennialVulcan posted:

Holey moley, is this a full kit on its own or does it require another kit to build on?

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2656313001001

That's from a product line (GFFMC) that are fully finished, painted figures with a metal frame. So basically think of it like a premium action figure that's finished out of the box. You can look up some GFFMC unboxing videos to get a sense of how it would arrive, but apart from optional pieces it's pretty much built.

Honestly I really like this iteration of Deatscythe, especially the 'raven' flight mode. I would wager some bootleg company will mold it in plastic eventually as well.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to place a standing order somewhere for when a kit eventually gets a reprint?

Not limited like PBandai stuff but rather something that had a normal production run but isn't really around at non-scalper prices at the moment

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Monkey Fracas posted:

What's the best way to place a standing order somewhere for when a kit eventually gets a reprint?

Not limited like PBandai stuff but rather something that had a normal production run but isn't really around at non-scalper prices at the moment

HLJ may not be the best but it's reliable and at standard prices

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Got a shipment from Newtype today and the box smelled like a bottle of Mr. Hobby came open.

It was the shrink film my paint rack came in. Smells like an open jar of Mr. Surfacer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm surprised Gundam Artifact never really took off. Mini painting is adjacent to scale modeling. I'm hand brushing a 1/144 Graze using a Richard Gray warhams tutorial right now. Maybe these things needed a tabletop game to maintain interest.

I've always been surprised they never brought the 1/400 Gundam Collection ruleset to English. They've sold the kits here for years.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
iirc, nail polish is a good fix for loose joints on gunpla models? does that sound right?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

MillennialVulcan posted:

iirc, nail polish is a good fix for loose joints on gunpla models? does that sound right?

Yeah I use clear to tighten up joints

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Thank you! My Guncannon's legs have gotten wobbly.

Another question, does anyone have the MG Turn A Gundam? Is that a good kit to work on?

I finished up the RX-78 clear color 1/100 and its was a fun build overall, but the chest to waist connection is super weak because the kit insisted on using either a body block OR an actual built-out Core Fighter as the center. I had to resort to glue to keep it together or it lent to an imbalance while standing then it would tip over and immediately split in half. Kit looks real sharp but drat, that center geography felt bad. I expect this is not a problem with other MGs since I don't think many other have core fighters?

Edit: Might talk myself into Epyon instead. I tend to like the designs from G, Wing, 08th, plus the Turn A/Turn X.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 1, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MillennialVulcan posted:

Thank you! My Guncannon's legs have gotten wobbly.

Another question, does anyone have the MG Turn A Gundam? Is that a good kit to work on?

I finished up the RX-78 clear color 1/100 and its was a fun build overall, but the chest to waist connection is super weak because the kit insisted on using either a body block OR an actual built-out Core Fighter as the center. I had to resort to glue to keep it together or it lent to an imbalance while standing then it would tip over and immediately split in half. Kit looks real sharp but drat, that center geography felt bad. I expect this is not a problem with other MGs since I don't think many other have core fighters?

Edit: Might talk myself into Epyon instead. I tend to like the designs from G, Wing, 08th, plus the Turn A/Turn X.

It's been a while since I worked on it, but the Turn A was a pretty good build. Still holds up okay, which is amazing given the other kits released at the same time.

Also, it has a cow.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the mg turn a is great

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yeah, MG Turn A is pretty darn good. If I had to fault it for anything, the torso does feel slightly flimsy/empty due to the fact that it is in fact empty. :v:

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm surprised Gundam Artifact never really took off. Mini painting is adjacent to scale modeling.

Well, it's a blind box candy toy line, so they were always designed to be a transient product from the start.

Edit: Turns out they're not blind.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 1, 2023

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'd add that the shoulders are also weird and flimsy for the Turn A, but overall it's a great MG.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 374 days!

MillennialVulcan posted:

I switched over to dried super glue from a suggestion (maybe from here??), a tiny dollop on the joint fills the physical space nicely and can be sanded down as needed

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm coming up on the part of my Unit 5 that I've been dreading:

I remember back when I was trying and failing (because I was poor) to get into Warhammer and painting yellow on dark colors was the worst. What is worse here is that this is basically a yellow panel line. So far I have two theories rolling around my head:

1. Try and make a pair of panel-line thin enamel inks--a white and yellow--and basically paint it like panel lines
2. Mask and pray

I'm going to root around and see if I can find a comparable piece of spare plastic to test with, but... any tips?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Warmachine posted:

I remember back when I was trying and failing (because I was poor) to get into Warhammer and painting yellow on dark colors was the worst. What is worse here is that this is basically a yellow panel line. So far I have two theories rolling around my head:

1. Try and make a pair of panel-line thin enamel inks--a white and yellow--and basically paint it like panel lines
2. Mask and pray

I'm going to root around and see if I can find a comparable piece of spare plastic to test with, but... any tips?

is that an MG or HG unit 5?

On the MG it's a yellow piece you plug into the white front piece. I haven't painted mine but if I was going to I would spray the whole thing in the yellow I wanted, then hand paint the flat grey part.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chromatics posted:

is that an MG or HG unit 5?

On the MG it's a yellow piece you plug into the white front piece. I haven't painted mine but if I was going to I would spray the whole thing in the yellow I wanted, then hand paint the flat grey part.

HG, so it's all one piece. I snapped it up the last time it was on P-Bandai. I've seen the MG version and it would be so easy with the MG part.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Are you just trying to paint that one line and leave the rest unpainted? If you're painting the whole leg the solution is pretty easy. Prime white, paint in the yellow part, then paint in the grey part

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Warmachine posted:

2. Mask and pray

I am assuming your airbrushing on this, but:

a) Paint the white
b) Mask the yellow and white parts. Paint grey.
c) Take off the masking on the yellow parts and then mask the grey part.

It's actually not super hard because at least the lines are straight. get a new sharp hobby knife blade and cut the masking tape at the edges if you are having difficulty getting the exact right size piece.

Speaking of masking, started doing the Aether Zaku warrior resin kit while I wait on some stuff for my pg wing zero . The detail is lovely but good god is masking all of the small details going to be an enormous pain in the rear end. look at this thing:

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 2, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I am assuming your airbrushing on this, but:

a) Paint the white
b) Mask the yellow and white parts. Paint grey.
c) Take off the masking on the yellow parts and then mask the grey part.

It's actually not super hard because at least the lines are straight. get a new sharp hobby knife blade and cut the masking tape at the edges if you are having difficulty getting the exact right size piece.

This is where I think I've landed, since it's easy enough to go from where I am now (off-white leg) to painting yellow in the square (mask the leg, paint yellow), then shifting the mask a fraction of the millimeter and paint dark gray. I'll mix it up and give it a whirl tomorrow.

Frankly I was overthinking it.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

anybody in the US order from SamuelDecal's webshop before? thinking of trying some third party stuff out and they're the only ones to have it in stock for a reasonable price but curious what shipping price/timelines are like, they don't have any info about it on the site

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Don't use tweezers to hold tiny parts while you're painting. Use a toothpick and blue tack.

My Unit 5's V-fin is now missing in action. (It's probably gone.) :negative:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can get some reverse action tweezers

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You can get some reverse action tweezers

That wouldn't have helped because what happened was the tweezers snapped shut and launched the part on a trajectory that sent it flying out of the painting booth and over my right shoulder somewhere. Assuming it didn't actually hit the side of the painting booth and ricochet.

If it had dropped, it would have just ended up on my cutting mat and all I'd be complaining about was maybe needing to sand it and redo the paint.

edit: Found the little poo poo. Took me tearing up the whole room, but it's no worse for the wear.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 2, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/roogiroog/status/1631354001290608641?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

anybody in the US order from SamuelDecal's webshop before? thinking of trying some third party stuff out and they're the only ones to have it in stock for a reasonable price but curious what shipping price/timelines are like, they don't have any info about it on the site

Lots of times. They're super reliable.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, SD is pretty regular about his stuff. He may take some time replying to emails if you're trying to get in a preorder or something but he gets around to it eventually, and gets stuff right out if you go from the in-stock stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yellow paint is the devil, and I need more trigger discipline on my air brush. I know that'll come with time (and patience) but I'm probably going to end up stripping and redoing a few of these yellow parts because good god I did a bad job.

Anyway, who says you'll never use calculus in real life? I just applied the theory behind integrals to mask off a thruster.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 3, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Progress. The head is assembled, but not gloss coated or panel lined yet. Most other parts have their primary coats, and some still need detailing work.

The eyes and cameras turned out better than I anticipated. I had to touch up the V-fin's red diamond by hand because I think there might have been some cement on my finger/oozed from under the part when I glued it on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone built the HG Zowort yet?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how often does bandai print re/100 kits? are they a one time thing?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

how often does bandai print re/100 kits? are they a one time thing?

They come around every couple of years so far. What are you looking for?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

Has anyone built the HG Zowort yet?

Mine is currently "moving through the UPS network" so hopefully soon.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If Newtype uses UPS for their free shipping every time I'm absolutely never ordering enough for free shipping ever again, because UPS is the loving worst package delivery company. Newtype said it would be 1-5 days (and to be clear, I'm not blaming Newtype, they have no control over when the package will be delivered) and it's almost two weeks with no package. UPS has also lied to me three times so far about when my package would arrive and it looks like they're lying a fourth time today. Why even have a tracking service if you're just going to make up poo poo based on absolutely nothing?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Anyone here build the Metal Gear REX? I know I am still new to building Gunpla kits but I am enjoying watching people build them and I saw that was an actual thing. Looking online to preorder with the stiff price of 100 dollars I am almost tempted to buy it.

Im still slowly working on Eva Unit 1. I have not made much progress as work, side job, and life has been in the way.

Edit- I mean this looks way too good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqouhUznu9M&t=488s

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 7, 2023

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

As always, complaining about things on the internet worked to get me what I wanted. I am still a little annoyed that it took almost two weeks to get my package, though I do understand there was some severe weather that caused delays on shipments (although it would have been nice if they hadn't decided to send messages three times promising delivery that they missed). But, anyway! Enough about that.

Kind of an odd mix of stuff I know. I basically just went to the spring sale page and added things that looked cool and that had good reviews in the comments. There were a couple I liked the look of but saw plenty of "This is actually a pretty bad kit" in the comments.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Anyone here build the Metal Gear REX? I know I am still new to building Gunpla kits but I am enjoying watching people build them and I saw that was an actual thing. Looking online to preorder with the stiff price of 100 dollars I am almost tempted to buy it.

I did the REX a while back.

A really fun build, although the unpainted pilot figures makes opening the hatch to reveal Liquid a bit silly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You should try painting the figure

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This loving thing was kind of ridiculous.

But in a good way.

Definitely fun to build. Not, uh...much to pose though. Unless you buy two action bases. I also weirdly seemed to be missing two parts, there's supposed to be a second set of beam saber handles on the G frame so that you can have four beam sabers on it at once, but the two handles for the main hands were missing. At first I thought maybe they were loose on the runners and fell off but I looked in the box and around my room and couldn't find them, so I can only assume they fell off at some point before they were put in. I dunno.

While I said it was fun to build (and it was) it also did get slightly tedious near the end, when you're clipping out twenty sets of rocket pads and such. Also I kinda messed up on the back part since the kit requires you to put stickers on a curved and concave surface, but like come on. That requires almost superhuman ability (or just paint).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Started building my HG YF-19 and oooh I'm sorry to say for all those excited for it... the kit's loving great, it's a fantastic build! :peanut:

Got the upper body done and I already have a feel for how the partsforming is gonna behave. It's a very neat and simple system they've got, from the looks of it. Also being bold on this one and skipping some of the red metallic stickers for a red metallic marker instead. I'm not the best with it, but the snug layered fit of everything hides all the marks and makes it look perfect. :ninja: