Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I regularly park my boat in hostile biomes - as long as you're planning to go a fair distance away it's never been a problem, stuff won't spawn and attack it if you're far enough away. If you're going to be hanging out nearby, then yeah, junk the boat and grab the materials or you might regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know for a fact that I've saved myself a lot of time doing this, But I don't see how I could not be saving myself a lot of time on death runs doing this.

I never go anywhere near Mistlands because it just takes one fireball spitting dude at the wrong time to strand you in the middle of the water.

I never sail past any plains biome without having eaten top tier food because mosquitoes loving love sniping you out of your boat.

My plains base is actually where it is because I got sniped by a deathskeeter traveling through a little river thing. I got sniped, had to go collect my boat, put down a panic portal to avoid dying again and then as I worked on collecting my stuff I realized it would be a great place to trap some buffalo for a farm.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 27, 2023

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Is taming lox worth it? I've never bothered with wolves or loxen.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Not really, no.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

Not really for the riding aspect, though that's kind of fun. If the Mistlands werent the Mistlands or there was a good reason to ride beyond hauling a ton of metals around at a time when you probably have worked out a good ship route and established a coastal base anyway. does give a steady and easy source of lox meat, but lox aren't that hard to hunt anyway. That, and they wreck your buildings easily so you have to build a dirt enclosure which makes getting them in and out a pain if you do try and keep them.

So, no, but I enjoy it anyway. They do reproduce pretty rapidly if you want the meat for plenty of lox pies.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I built a pit to keep my loxen in with a wall and gate. I walked out of my base today and watched this absolute unit bust out of the door like the Kool-Aid Man and eat an entire greydwarf. That was probably worth it.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Molybdenum posted:

Before Mistlands, lox farming was a nice end challenge. Lox saddles used up excess flax and black metal, and it was a merry adventure trying to ship, swim, or ride them back to my bases. My map has marked a couple epic lox-vs-troll fights.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's about the food for me. Lox pies are actually incredibly easy to make once you get the lox farm started up and since I generally did two health one stamina they were always part of the rotation.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

I built a pit to keep my loxen in with a wall and gate. I walked out of my base today and watched this absolute unit bust out of the door like the Kool-Aid Man and eat an entire greydwarf. That was probably worth it.

Watching one of them aggro a greydwarf and get pulled further into a Meadows biome on a rampage that even Odin himself would call “a bit much” is hilarious, and also a good way to collect wood if you don’t want to cut it yourself :getin:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Not really for the riding aspect, though that's kind of fun. If the Mistlands werent the Mistlands or there was a good reason to ride beyond hauling a ton of metals around

Can they be used for hauling? I have a bunch in a pen just for fun. I rode one around on a short adventure, but it was largely pointless. Can you load materials on them or have them haul carts, or do you just mean fill your inventory then get on?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I think taming lox is worth it, but you gotta keep them a distance from your base via moats and dirt walls or they'll damage to level buildings to kill a deer or neck even. The damage will be gradual, but the issue is they'll often wander into an unexpected area and accumulate lots damage just outside of earshot. Heaven forbid if a cauldron stirs...

litany of gulps posted:

Can they be used for hauling? I have a bunch in a pen just for fun. I rode one around on a short adventure, but it was largely pointless. Can you load materials on them or have them haul carts, or do you just mean fill your inventory then get on?

Not directly, but I think one of our players was able to encumber and ride the lox to a destination to drop several stacks of metal. Just remember to ride the ultra-destructive scamp back to the safe zone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Fill your inventory with whatever heavy poo poo you want to move from point a to point b. The lox's stamina doesn't get drained or overburdened. The saddle unfortunately doesn't have saddlebags or anything.

E: vvvvv sure, but then it's a pain in the rear end to use them for anything but meat pies. Which, sure, is still a good use.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 28, 2023

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

I think taming lox is worth it, but you gotta keep them a distance from your base via moats and dirt walls or they'll damage to level buildings to kill a deer or neck even. The damage will be gradual, but the issue is they'll often wander into an unexpected area and accumulate lots damage just outside of earshot. Heaven forbid if a cauldron stirs...

Building max-height earthen walls and/or digging to max depth solves that problem

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my pen is earth walls and it's never been a problem.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yeah, that's what I meant by "dirt walls". The rest is a warning of what happened to us before we did that.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I parked my boat in a nice natural harbor next to a dvergr tower, and it got sunk by some combination of seekers and fireballs, and the water was deep enough to take the nails and sails again, so I will accept that this was a dumb thing to do.

…because I am a very stubborn person, I just raised the seabed to wading height and built my new boat in the same spot.

I also knocked the top off a local outcropping and made a nice stone walkway around its base so I don’t have to climb over it to get to my root taps.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Andrigaar posted:

a cauldron stirs

Completely unrelated but holy gently caress what a stupid god drat event. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to get whacked in the head.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
90% of the events are not challenging at all and are just a massive annoyance. Cauldron is definitely the most obviously pointless one.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
My idea to carefully enter the mistlands for the first time was to land on a tiny island that spawned with just enough room for a single dvergr building. I didn't know about the wards ahead of time, so I took the boat just out of range to build a portal on a sandbar and deconstruct the boat. When I was still whacking the ship with an axe, it drifted back into the ward and I guess the dvergr got mad I was destroying their new longship.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What am I missing with the arbalest? It seems to do about the same damage per hit as the Draugr Fang and yet is listed as almost 4x the damage. Just hit a gjall for ~200, both yellow numbers, in the weak spot. Its nice for hunting hares, I suppose, with its quick release.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ravenfood posted:

What am I missing with the arbalest? It seems to do about the same damage per hit as the Draugr Fang and yet is listed as almost 4x the damage. Just hit a gjall for ~200, both yellow numbers, in the weak spot. Its nice for hunting hares, I suppose, with its quick release.
Probably due to difference in skill levels

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Xbow also doesn't have nearly as much projectile drop off so it's arguably more accurate. And the bolt moves faster so it's easier to hit moving objects.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I use the crossbow exclusively for rabbit hunting. Those little fuckers make it hard if you're trying to nail them with an arrow.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I mean if you're not using fireballs to kill the wabbits...

Edit: my biggest problem with the arbalest is that i have to start over cranking every time i jump

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JosephSkunk posted:

I mean if you're not using fireballs to kill the wabbits...

Edit: my biggest problem with the arbalest is that i have to start over cranking every time i jump

I honestly feel like it should be introduced in the swamp or something instead of the huntsman bow. A weapon that you can't jump with or run in a biome that is really vertical is a pain.

That, and the huntsman bow is pretty worthless for the iron and I've never made it.

E: jfc I need something to do with the spare 50 seeker meats I have.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ravenfood posted:

I just cook it and eat it when doing something in previous biomes.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Ravenfood posted:

I honestly feel like it should be introduced in the swamp or something instead of the huntsman bow. A weapon that you can't jump with or run in a biome that is really vertical is a pain.

That, and the huntsman bow is pretty worthless for the iron and I've never made it.

Huntsman bow has lower stamina per use than the draugr fang or spine snap. There might be a break point where using a huntsman bow gets you more shots per stamina bar but I don't know if the damage difference between the bows makes up for it or not. One extra shot, probably not, two extra shots??

Also ammo dependent. The fancier your arrow the smaller the damage difference.

Though I don't think that valheim requires this kind of min/maxing consideration.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Huntsman Bow has been my bow for most of the game's lifespan because I refuse to use the Draugr fang.
It looks loving stupid.

Spinesnap is fine I guess.

E: yeah, it's the glow man, I can't.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 1, 2023

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Washin Tong posted:

I refuse to use the Draugr fang.
It looks loving stupid.

Wait the Draugr Fang looks stupid, so you use the double ended feather duster?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
For anyone else who dislikes the looks of the draugr bow, this mod overwrites the mesh / texture to something a little less ridiculous looking. Just need to set up bepinex, custom textures, and custom meshes (all very easy to do).

There are lots of other weapon texture mods for some of the other dumb looking ones too (black metal sword / axe / atgeir I'm looking at you)

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Also draugr fang has majority of its damage as poison dmg which some enemies are immune to (coughGOLEMS)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Valtonen posted:

Also draugr fang has majority of its damage as poison dmg which some enemies are immune to (coughGOLEMS)

It does maybe 10% of its damage as poison.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, the Draugr Fang level 4 does 56 pierce, 20 poison, and whatever the damage arrow you're firing. The poison is a small component of the overall damage.

(Also why would you be firing a bow at a golem anyway, that sounds like a tremendous waste of arrows and time)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

(Also why would you be firing a bow at a golem anyway, that sounds like a tremendous waste of arrows and time)

Seriously, everyone knows the only way to fight golems is to jump on their head and mine them like the unruly rocks they are.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Huh, I mustve misread lasti time when I was checking stars, my bad.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've never voluntarily fought a golem. They simply aren't worth it It's better to avoid them 100% of the time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

Yeah, the Draugr Fang level 4 does 56 pierce, 20 poison, and whatever the damage arrow you're firing. The poison is a small component of the overall damage.

Huh, that made me realize that the upgrades aren't at all even. Draugr fang starts at 47 pierce and 5 poison, so it does gain a lot more poison than pierce. A lot of the other weapons with split damage seem to have uneven growth too.

E: vvvv I liked the glow color, but yeah not my favorite. The idea of a magic bone bow is pretty cool though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 2, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was really disappointed with the mistlands bow.

Not only did I think it was ugly, Spirit damage loving sucks. The only stuff that is weak to it is trivially easy if you have access to that level of gear.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

I've never voluntarily fought a golem. They simply aren't worth it It's better to avoid them 100% of the time.

If you have a decent parry shield, you can kill them in seconds by just staggering them with a parry then pulling your pickaxe and dismantling them. Whether or not this is worth it, I guess, is entirely dependent on how much you like having windows in your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

rjmccall posted:

So, I’ve been in the Mistlands for a few weeks. Sailed past a few broken rocks to a plausible island, built a stone house, started exploring. Turned out to not be so big after all: dvergr tower, ancient armaments, petrified ribcage, that’s it. That’s fine, I just swam to the next. Climb, swim, jump, fight. Cleared out an infested mine. Eventually I’d explored the whole archipelago. I figured, alright, that zone was small and must not have had everything, let’s try again.

So I sailed south to another patch of Mistlands. Same thing, archipelago, lots of jumping and swimming. This one had some slices of forest/plains across it, and it was clear to see: the game had generated a long, thin landmass, and wherever it was Mistlands, it broke that landmass up into a bunch of small, rocky islands. So I figured, that’s cool, that’s just how the biome is. Climb, swim, jump, fight. “Found” an abandoned dig, cleared out another mine. Still obviously missing something. For one, I’d built the new forge, but all it had was a few specialty weapons (and crossbow bolts). I’d even made the two-handed sword, and it had upgrades I couldn’t reach. I had a few sap extractors, but I couldn’t find anything to extract from. And I’d completely explored my second broken archipelago. On to the next?

Anyway, I sailed north from that zone and immediately discovered that continental Mistlands is a thing that does actually exist. I’m guessing the generator just wants to put broken islands around the edges, and if the zone is narrow, that’s all there ends up being. Kindof a pain! But I’ve found a whole lot of roots to tap, so I think I’m finally about to make some real progress.

Was this a seed you've been playing on since last fall? Because if so, the biomes changed sizes and mistlands are much larger.

Ravenfood posted:

When you're first exploring the area or even trying to settle it makes sense. Plus I actually really like dipping into the archipelago areas and exploring there. It's fun sailing and seeing the non-misty mistlands is quite pretty.

Found a peak overlooking the cluster of dverger buildings I've been fixing up. High enough to have snow on it and well above Gjall. Thinking of a whacky build (portal accessible)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 2, 2023