Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Still can't believe the Dil backlog is under 3 million now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cythereal posted:

You just missed it, alas.

Oh hey mate!

I thought I saw something about it being delayed on console but honestly no dramas if it’s not. Cruising around in a mirror T5 Sovereign (I hope they’re still available and cheap on the Exchange?) should scratch the itch enough for me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah console is a month or two behind PC just because of all the certification work they need to go through for console patches so they won't brick them with lovely Cryptic code. Don't know the exact schedule at this point though.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

I remember the last time I played Romulan ships were bad because of their Singularity Cores didn't output as much power or something. Is that still a thing?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fullTimeLurker posted:

I remember the last time I played Romulan ships were bad because of their Singularity Cores didn't output as much power or something. Is that still a thing?

You bet!

And their trump card of having excellent layouts while launch era feds flew around in cope cruisers is long gone. Now its normal for (almost) any new ship to be quite decent regardless of hull color.

Some exceptions still creep through of course (like the vomit inducing bridge officer layout of the parliament class).

edit - On the upside you can now fly ships of any faction (once you overcome the initial hurdle) so if you want something with a warp core its never been easier to just fly an ship that doesn't bleed power.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 28, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Don't forget if you want to fly a D'dex you're stuck without the cruiser command that nets you an extra 3 turn for even more 'fun'. They finally released a decent version in the legendary but it's in a bundle so even more expensive than the typical legendary.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just fly whatever until the next free event ship as they're generally quite decent for free. Or spend money, if so inclined.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Eimi posted:

Don't forget if you want to fly a D'dex you're stuck without the cruiser command that nets you an extra 3 turn for even more 'fun'. They finally released a decent version in the legendary but it's in a bundle so even more expensive than the typical legendary.

Are you talking about the Legendary D'dex or was there yet another one that they released? Because every single D'Dex i've flown has been a total piece of poo poo, even though it's the original reason I rolled a Romulan toon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Was it bort that had the tantrum on twitter when the legendary D'Dex came out and everyone was pissed off because it was poo poo and he basically cried about how everyone wants ships that are good but not all ships can be!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 28, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Was it bort that had the tantrum on twitter when the legendary D'Dex came out and everyone was pissed off because it was poo poo and he basically cried about how everyone wants ships that are good but not all ships can be!

I don't remember but its sounds about right. (don't use twitter but I'm sure it was posted about here)

The gozertorp of ship designers.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Some exceptions still creep through of course (like the vomit inducing bridge officer layout of the parliament class).

Which pisses me off because it looks great. I copied a bunch of last year's event reward to tribble to try it out and it looks and moves great, but the layout is just ugh.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah pretty sure it was, thankfully he seems to be gone, and the last of his ship-design influence can be seen in the Monitor and the Sirius, especially compared to the Hydra and the Eagle.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
There would be a lot more design room for ship layouts if there weren’t so many useless skills.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
New Mudd-Bundle: Khitomer Alliance Pack

I'll leave it to your discretion if ~$150 is worth the account unlock for missing event ships. They're not bad, but that's a high price for some average-at-best ships.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

New Mudd-Bundle: Khitomer Alliance Pack

I'll leave it to your discretion if ~$150 is worth the account unlock for missing event ships. They're not bad, but that's a high price for some average-at-best ships.

Yeah none of those ships are worth Mudd's pricing.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Given that event ships are generally a step down from lockbox ones, seems like this should have been cheaper. Or they could do the regular "choice" price point but just throw in some coupons and tokens and whatever.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Reddit is in uproar over this. Personally, I'm more or less fine with it:
-It provides a new way of acquiring old event ships as accountwide unlocks. People have been screaming for this for years. The Monkey's Paw has provided!
-I personally own all of the ships in it already, so have absolutely zero reason to buy, thus saving me a bunch of zen!
-This is clearly an experiment by Cryptic to see if they can push the boundaries further and remonetise old event content. I guarantee someone on the staff wrote a big business case proposing this, claiming it would bring in money for zero work/outlay. I don't think it will be that successful in practicer though, not because the business model is flawed, but because the specific ships in this one are way too recent (all from the last few years) and frankly none are that great (Temer Raider is nice, but not essential). In practice, if they repeat this (a big if), the next bundle will correspondingly be more generous, probably including at least one very desirable old event ships as a choice - such as the Bajoran Interceptor or Breen T6 Plesh Tral...
-As they are trying to test the waters and avoid annoying people too much, the bundle only has 3 ships rather than 4 - this means you can get all of them at once, rather than having to buy it twice to get the last one.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 28, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tigey posted:

-It provides a new way of acquiring old event ships as accountwide unlocks. People have been screaming for this for years. The Monkey's Paw has provided!
-I personally own all of the ships in it already, so have absolutely zero reason to buy, thus saving me a bunch of zen!
-This is clearly an experiment by Cryptic to see if they can push the boundaries further and remonetise old event content. I guarantee someone on the staff wrote a big business case proposing this, claiming it would bring in money for zero work/outlay. I don't think it will be that successful in practicer though, not because the business model is flawed, but because the specific ships in this one are way too recent (all from the last few years) and frankly none are that great (Temer Raider is nice, but not essential). In practice, if they repeat this (a big if), the next bundle will correspondingly be more generous, probably including at least one very desirable old event ships as a choice - such as the Bajoran Interceptor or Breen T6 Plesh Tral...
-As they are trying to test the waters and avoid annoying people too much, the bundle only has 3 ships rather than 4 - this means you can get all of them at once, rather than having to buy it twice to get the last one.

I doubt anything good will come of any kind of success here.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tigey posted:

I don’t have any of the Alliance ships (or uniform) on my console account and would love to have them because I love the aesthetic. I do not $200 (Australia tax) want them though. Jesus gently caress Cryptic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isn't the whole point of mudd's market is that the price they put them up at isn't the real price? They multiplied the proper price by 4 and then rotate all items through 75% discounts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Isn't the whole point of mudd's market is that the price they put them up at isn't the real price? They multiplied the proper price by 4 and then rotate all items through 75% discounts.

Pretty much.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

That Jarok carrier is an absolute pig to fly. But because it is basically the only full carrier Fed captains tend to have because of the recent event, you still see them every now and then.

My team green captain flies one too, because otherwise he would be stuck on some T5 scimitar variant, but I sincerely think that switching Jarok wasn't an upgrade.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

The bundles never go down to 75% off anymore though. Previous event ships are up as Mudd's ships for 17000 zen, and THOSE get a 75% discount because they aren't in a bundle, bringing them to a slightly more reasonable 4250. By putting all these together and nowhere else, they're being the biggest dicks they can about it. Not even including the Khitomer uniform as a freebie is just adding insult to insult.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lifetime's 50% off for the next two days apparently if that's anyone's thing.

God help me, I'm actually mildly tempted, 13 years later.

Edit: lol nevermind apparently five minutes of research shows that, shocker of shockers, it's still a terrible deal.

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 2, 2023

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Drone posted:

Edit: lol nevermind apparently five minutes of research shows that, shocker of shockers, it's still a terrible deal.

I've been thinking about getting that every time they offer the deal, but every year it's just never been worth it.

edit: okay and seriously wtf, I just finished off 2500 ambush kills on my recruit and all I get is that lovely trait? I thought at least the game would give me that BOFF. I suppose that would just be waaay to generous

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

That Jarok carrier is an absolute pig to fly. But because it is basically the only full carrier Fed captains tend to have because of the recent event, you still see them every now and then.

My team green captain flies one too, because otherwise he would be stuck on some T5 scimitar variant, but I sincerely think that switching Jarok wasn't an upgrade.
Fortunately(?) a full sci carrier doesn't need to be all that mobile since you're probably going to just sit there with beam arrays anyway. Its far more annoying when they're almost but not quite mobile enough to get away with dual cannons and you can never quite keep on target

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another red alert coming.

I'm never going to say no to another ult tech upgrade.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
If it overlapped with the meta event, I would do it. But I can't be bothered logging in just for a red alert event.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

holy poo poo they're down to 2.175 mill backlog on the dill exchange. It was up around 3.5 when they started taking measures to prevent bot grinding.

They might have actually done something productive. :monocle:

edit: if it gets down to a 1 mil backlog I'm selling my stash and buying back in when it finds a new equilibrium

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Cyrano4747 posted:

holy poo poo they're down to 2.175 mill backlog on the dill exchange. It was up around 3.5 when they started taking measures to prevent bot grinding.

edit: if it gets down to a 1 mil backlog I'm selling my stash and buying back in when it finds a new equilibrium

Yeah it's kind of crazy how quickly the backlog is clearing out. I'm genuinely surprised there's that much demand for dil, what is it being spent on?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
I don’t think they are “taking measures” so much as limiting starbase one for the event has inadvertently proven that SB one really is the problem. I’m willing to bet the dill backlog will shoot back up when advanced and elite are options for bot farms again.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jxforema posted:

I don’t think they are “taking measures” so much as limiting starbase one for the event has inadvertently proven that SB one really is the problem. I’m willing to bet the dill backlog will shoot back up when advanced and elite are options for bot farms again.

It had been dropping fairly steadily for at least a month before SB1 was an event, and one of the major botters talked about getting 700(!) accounts banned. So they absolutely did something about the botting problem. They also updated SB1 in general to make it harder to bot. So we'll see.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

It had been dropping fairly steadily for at least a month before SB1 was an event, and one of the major botters talked about getting 700(!) accounts banned. So they absolutely did something about the botting problem. They also updated SB1 in general to make it harder to bot. So we'll see.

Seriously? 700 accounts? Wow. That's insane.

What is the point of them doing that? You can't sell any of the ships you buy with Zen right? So how were they getting money out of the game?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

fullTimeLurker posted:

Seriously? 700 accounts? Wow. That's insane.

What is the point of them doing that? You can't sell any of the ships you buy with Zen right? So how were they getting money out of the game?

They probably bought keys with Zen, resold those for EC and then sold EC ships on out of market exchanges for real money. That's my guess anyways.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

ahh, that makes perfect sense.

I do the dumb version of that. Buy Zen with real money, buy keys, sell keys to buy ships

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

fullTimeLurker posted:

I do the dumb version of that. Buy Zen with real money, buy keys, sell keys to buy ships

This is what they hope for. They hope you will get tired of the Dilithium grind and just buy the keys directly. Or use spare Zen after a purchase on such.

I've done the second.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welp. I am fully out of dilithium.

First time I think that's happened to me since Legacy of Romulus.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I don't know if its related but the Exchange's T6 box ship market just recently had a mini-crash, dropping from "generally 400M+" to below 300M on several ship types (I saw 215M at lowest selling point) and its now back hovering mostly just above 300M.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

I don't know if its related but the Exchange's T6 box ship market just recently had a mini-crash, dropping from "generally 400M+" to below 300M on several ship types (I saw 215M at lowest selling point) and its now back hovering mostly just above 300M.

Knock-on effect of fewer bots meaning less EC perhaps.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cyrano4747 posted:

the backlog is down to 1.445 mil.

I'm going to go ahead and ditch my stash because I have a feeling that when it finally drops it's going to happen fast. I'm a little surprised there is anyone sitting on outstanding buy orders, then again that could be part of the reason for the rapid draw-down. Before this I was punching in one every month or so with my refined dil just to get in line.

I doubt they're going to post anything must-buy in the next month or so, so time to pull out while this settles down.

edit: man it's fun seeing those sell orders complete instantly.

edit 2: does anyone remember the max refind dil you can hold? I know there's some limit somewhere.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Cyrano4747 posted:

the backlog is down to 1.445 mil.

I'm going to go ahead and ditch my stash because I have a feeling that when it finally drops it's going to happen fast. I'm a little surprised there is anyone sitting on outstanding buy orders, then again that could be part of the reason for the rapid draw-down. Before this I was punching in one every month or so with my refined dil just to get in line.

I doubt they're going to post anything must-buy in the next month or so, so time to pull out while this settles down.

edit: man it's fun seeing those sell orders complete instantly.

edit 2: does anyone remember the max refind dil you can hold? I know there's some limit somewhere.

Max is 10 million per character, but remember that you can effectively stash an unlimited amount on the exchange using unrealistic buy/sell orders.