Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Now I want Sigmariteclad ships powered by stormcloud engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Total war warhammer has little boat graphics for all the factions, iirc the beastmen ship is just a huge sea creature

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I want Slaneeshi pleasure barges and just straight up Sharks of Khorne

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

War and Pieces posted:

I want Slaneeshi pleasure barges and just straight up Sharks of Khorne

Sharkhs

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Talas posted:

Now I want Sigmariteclad ships powered by stormcloud engines.

You could very well do a skyship game in AOS - from the novels it looks like everyone has then.

Godeaters son had a 40k-rear end Sigmarite flying battle fortress which was a fortified flying mountain pulled by an army of flagellants.

The Arkanaut's Oath describes a Kharadron battleship (dwarfing the tabletop Ironclad) that has guns enough to blow away squadrons of Greater Daemons.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

To use prosecutors squads as fighter squadrons for stormcast. Oh GW hear my plight - I will trow more money at you

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

War and Pieces posted:

Sharks of Khorne

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

this guy is new isn't he

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Winklebottom posted:

this guy is new isn't he

Looks like part of a Warcry warband maybe? Pretty much only those and a few ETB kits that have the pre-sculpted bases nowadays.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
no ring

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

smug jeebus posted:

I'm guessing you didn't actually play Dreadfleet

Am I a bad person for saying I own it and enjoy it?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Winklebottom posted:

this guy is new isn't he

It’s like a weird inverse butthole.

Edit: double post and I’m not apologizing

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Looks like part of a Warcry warband maybe? Pretty much only those and a few ETB kits that have the pre-sculpted bases nowadays.

Good call. I'd guess an Underworlds war band? They've been doing call backs to old favorites, and the Eyes of the Nine could use a revisit.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Muir posted:

Good call. I'd guess an Underworlds war band? They've been doing call backs to old favorites, and the Eyes of the Nine could use a revisit.

Woops yeah, meant Underworlds. They've been completely knocking it out of the park with the warband designs, great way to sprinkle a little variety into some standard units even if their rules as a standalone unit aren't usually any good in AoS.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Crossoosting from minis thread:

Captain Magic posted:

Bought and built and primed Kragnos in summer 2021, more or less right when he came out.

Over the last seven days or so, I finally painted him.

Feels good man. Very done with this guy’s endless chains. There’s a lot that’s untidy and it’s just like, ah, whatever, destruction don’t care. Anyway nothing gets you in the mood for painting some small squads like painting a giant mini.

Now I just need to finish an army to field him with lol. Maybe in another year and a half.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Crossoosting from minis thread:

Now I just need to finish an army to field him with lol. Maybe in another year and a half.

Great paintjob!

Kragnos is a fine miniature by himself, but man, I feel like he’s a misfire in the context of being Destruction’s top dog. He doesn’t fit in with any faction designwise.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

He feels a bit out of place design-wise, yeah. I've grown to enjoy that he's a whiny pissbaby who would have no charisma whatsoever if any of his followers could understand his whiny tantrums, though. It is very funny to me that they've all made up complex beliefs around him at the urging of Gobsprakk, who is trapped in the hell of being the one person who actually understands what he's saying.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I like the mini in the void but yeah inside the faction he is kinda ech. Gordrakk was fine as ironjaw/orruk leader as he was just big angry orc in style of Grimgor. Kragnos being guy who destroyed his whole race and almost wiped out dragons because he is pissbaby does not endear him to anyone.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

Great paintjob!

Kragnos is a fine miniature by himself, but man, I feel like he’s a misfire in the context of being Destruction’s top dog. He doesn’t fit in with any faction designwise.

Destruction is by far the least cohesive of the four GAs and trying to squeeze a big Faction Leader into it was kinda silly, and it was never gonna fit well.

Trying to make him a figure of worship for the disparate destruction forces was also dumb. Would have been cooler and fit better if he was just this massive destructive dude and all the various orks, goblins, and ogres just went "haha this dude fuckin' rules, let's follow him around and see what he gets up to".

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Why isn't he just a big beastman centigor, is that too obvious?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Marmaduke! posted:

Why isn't he just a big beastman centigor, is that too obvious?

They’re Chaos.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Geisladisk posted:

Order is by far the least cohesive of the four GAs

Ftfy

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Nah, Order makes sense as a group of weakly-aligned polities united only by their opposition to Chaos. Playing up how shaky their cooperation is would probably be a good idea. Chaos and Death have their own respective bosses, so they're fine.

Destruction may as well be "and the rest."

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

grassy gnoll posted:

Playing up how shaky their cooperation is would probably be a good idea. Chaos and Death have their own respective bosses, so they're fine.

Order being at each other throats is half the plot of broken realms. Its mostly Grungi that plays grown up and keeps it together. As far as chaos having big boos - be'lakor works hard to make sure this is not the case and he is making good progress on that

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

grassy gnoll posted:

Nah, Order makes sense as a group of weakly-aligned polities united only by their opposition to Chaos. Playing up how shaky their cooperation is would probably be a good idea. Chaos and Death have their own respective bosses, so they're fine.

Destruction may as well be "and the rest."

The GA's are only sorted by religion and no other reason.

Chaos - Chaos pantheon
Death - Nagash worship
Destruction - Various forms of Gorkamorka worship
Order - Everything else

Order is very obviously the "miscellaneous" GA

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Winklebottom posted:

Great paintjob!

Thanks!

I don’t know how well he fits but it’s fun having a Lynel be in charge of breaking stuff.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/26/sunday-preview-the-kharadron-overlords-and-regiments-of-renown-offer-their-services

Next week's pre-orders is the Kharadon Battletome and Vanguard, alongside the new Dwarf Rules Grognard Codewright.

In fact there's nothing but AoS pre-orders as there's also the Stock clearance box- I mean the Regiments of Renown boxes.
As well as the new Daughters of Khaine warband for Underworld, Gryselle’s Arenai. And the new rivals deck for the same game.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/26/sunday-preview-the-kharadron-overlords-and-regiments-of-renown-offer-their-services

Next week's pre-orders is the Kharadon Battletome and Vanguard, alongside the new Dwarf Rules Grognard Codewright.
Weird that they are giving them dice and cards... oh, and that Vanguard box looks pretty good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I got to see stormcast dragon fliers in action, along with Yndrasta doing her thing, and now I covet herohammer and big stupid monsters.

SCE's got the herohammer part down, and obviously the flying and walking reptiles. What else is good for focusing on heroes and monsters?

I've been eyeballing Avengorii for both monster mashing and graveyard smashing, and I'm not super hot on Sons.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

grassy gnoll posted:

I got to see stormcast dragon fliers in action, along with Yndrasta doing her thing, and now I covet herohammer and big stupid monsters.

SCE's got the herohammer part down, and obviously the flying and walking reptiles. What else is good for focusing on heroes and monsters?

I've been eyeballing Avengorii for both monster mashing and graveyard smashing, and I'm not super hot on Sons.

Stormcast are horrid for herohammer (you want combined arms lists) - STD is where its at (karkadrak, foot wizard and lord, wizard on manticore). You can do also give Flesh Eaters and Soulblight a shot. Or if you want to go hard on heros and monsters you can field all magmadroth Fyreslayers.

Hedonites are bad right now but they are also very hero heavy

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

grassy gnoll posted:

Ogors.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

grassy gnoll posted:

Nighthaunt is great if you're looking for heroes, but not much in the way of monsters (unless you're counting the Black Coach, I guess). Maggotkin is also good - lots of lists run two or three Maggoth lords, and the Glottkin has been getting some play recently too.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Also new Beasts of Chas have decent heroes and monsters

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/01/download-rules-for-regiments-of-renown-and-bring-spicy-abilities-to-liven-up-your-army/

Mercenary rules dropped. And they’re pretty good, I could easily see running a bunch of these.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/01/plan-daring-bombing-runs-and-risky-landings-with-the-new-kharadron-overlords-battletome/

Rules for the sky dwarfs, looks pretty good. Also, apparently the book leaked so it should be around the usual places.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Stormcast are horrid for herohammer (you want combined arms lists

Can you elaborate on this? I'm coming from a position of pretty profound ignorance and more background is always good.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

grassy gnoll posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm coming from a position of pretty profound ignorance and more background is always good.

Yeah sure - Stormcast have truckload of heroes of with only few are good combatants for the price. On top of that where stormcast damage comes is units - longstrikes, fulminators, annihilators, stormdrake guard that you have to pay arm and leg for. And for those units to do the do you probably need something that will clear the screens or support them. And here come budget constrains

Let's say you want to go with monsters and heroes and that is fine but - 4 stormdrakes+knightdraconis+gardus (because warded stormdrake will make someone cry) will cost you 1150 points. For 6 models. And you need 2 more battleline units. CHeapest will net you 220 but you want to clear chaff so lets say you take judicattors with crossbows - 380 pts. So we are 16 minis in and 1530 out of the wallet. We can round it up with 2 more stormdrakes and some chaff for 130.

If we go knights excelsior we are still dumping 1000 points into 10 models (impertant+9 annihilators).

What I'm saying you have to save points somewhere and stormcast heroes arent really melee titans. You can stuck lord castelant with 10 protectors as sworn bodygards tho and do hilarious things.

As far as Yndrasta goes she is 280 for mismatched skillset - she is decent fighter but not for that cash (240 gets you 3 longstrikes or 2 fulminators and they will always deliver more damage than she) and with her support skills she should camp a few blocks of infantry, but then she is the most expensive babysitter in mortal realms.

Hope this is somewhat helpful

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Stormcast have massive numbers of warscrolls and any given army is only going to use like seven of them.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah that is the gist of it. There are multiple viable builds but you are not going to use 80% of the available heroes. In general heroes are the weakest part of the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That is super helpful, thank you!

Are lackluster SC heroes a function of how many Warcry/Underworlds/etc models they had to fill out, an artifact of first edition legacy stuff, or just random slipups on GWs part?