Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmao reading the nyt news article and lol japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

oh my god, elon musk has competition for cringiest poster

a senator from utah using gen z language is way funnier than musk tbh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

:hmmyes:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
looks like he fell asleep at the wheel, nuked a family. pleaded guilty thinking its the U.S. paid 1.6 mill to the family then got sentenced to 3 years. lol at givin 1 million dollars away... mf its only 3 years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

looks like he fell asleep at the wheel, nuked a family

LOCK
HIM
UP

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

terrified to think what they got away with at Subic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

pleaded guilty thinking its the U.S. paid 1.6 mill to the family then got sentenced to 3 years. lol at givin 1 million dollars away... mf its only 3 years

was it an either/or and he or his lawyers hosed up?

also yeah the prison sentence alone belies a lot of tryhard on the part of US politicians. three years is nothing for manslaughter, especially because my gut tells me he was absolutely drunk unless they tested him at-scene

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Homeless Friend posted:

the phoenix wright games are genuinely a biting satire on the japanese courts and police and have possibly led to calls for reform

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

terrified to think what they got away with at Subic

quote:

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has drawn criticism from rights groups after pardoning a US marine convicted of killing a transgender woman.

Mr Duterte issued the pardon on Monday to Lance Corporal Joseph Scott Pemberton, who has been in prison since 2014 for the murder of Jennifer Laude.

Pemberton has served just over half of a 10-year sentence for the murder.

Virginia Suarez, a lawyer for Laude's family, called the decision a "mockery" of the country's justice system.

The former US marine had been granted early release last week by a local court for good behaviour, but the decision was held pending an appeal by lawyers for Laude's family. That process was negated by the pardon.

"The president has erased the remaining punishment against Pemberton," announced Harry Roque, Mr Duterte's spokesman. "He can now go home because of the pardon."

it's even worse than caving-in to what Mike Lee is demanding from Japan

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the phoenix wright games are genuinely a biting satire on the japanese courts and police and have possibly led to calls for reform

Persona 5 had lead me to believe that the Japanese justice sysytem might be more hosed up than the US. Which is impressive

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Homeless Friend posted:

lol wtf

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lea Salonga, an internationally-known Filipino singer who rose to fame in the lead role for "Miss Saigon", recently announced that she would be joining a play titled "Here Lies Love", a musical created by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim covering the life and times of one Imelda Marcos, spendthrift wife of former Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr.

because their son is the current President of the Philippines, this has stirred up quite a bit of controversy, as people are understandably wary of media that presents the Marcoses in a positive light, and especially since historical revisionism was critical to the Marcoses engineering their return to politics.

the producers of the play immediately came out with a statement to try and deflect this kind of criticism:

the problem is that the play dates back to 2013, and people reviewed it at the time:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210809171403/https://www.popdust.com/david-byrne-here-lies-love-2653902674.html

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Centrist Committee posted:

so the fbi is blaming china and the cpc is scolding musk? this poo poo is escalating fast do not like

The Global Times is not the CPC.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It sounds like they did Evita and are getting the same pushback

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lea Salonga, an internationally-known Filipino singer who rose to fame in the lead role for "Miss Saigon", recently announced that she would be joining a play titled "Here Lies Love", a musical created by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim covering the life and times of one Imelda Marcos, spendthrift wife of former Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr.

because their son is the current President of the Philippines, this has stirred up quite a bit of controversy, as people are understandably wary of media that presents the Marcoses in a positive light, and especially since historical revisionism was critical to the Marcoses engineering their return to politics.

the producers of the play immediately came out with a statement to try and deflect this kind of criticism:

the problem is that the play dates back to 2013, and people reviewed it at the time:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210809171403/https://www.popdust.com/david-byrne-here-lies-love-2653902674.html

a creative way of re-information

new "alternative facts" term

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
chinese planes are flying (in the SCS)

https://twitter.com/airshanemode2/status/1630826606892654593?s=20

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1629307746771169282?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait. The zone is square?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

genericnick posted:

lol you've never seen it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Chinese jet fighter shadows US aircraft over South China Sea"

okay what is the US aircraft doing there in the first place

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

It's china's sea, they're supposed to be there!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

genericnick posted:

yeah they're just kind of made up and they do generally extend out in whatever direction flights are expected to come from. obviously civil aviation obeys them because they dont care. military flights will just do whatever and get intercepted or not. the adiz around alaska is where most of those russian bear flights get intercepted and they dont give a gently caress. They're not internationally recognized or anything. you can't really "violate" them in that sense (not that international law is real) but they're really just showing where civil planes need to start talking and where military flights would expect to get maverick flipping them off.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

crepeface posted:

lol you've never seen it?

I've seen it, but it never really hit me how arbitrarily weird the shape is. Not gonna bother with an air defense zone to the south since PLA planes can only fly straight.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

genericnick posted:

I've seen it, but it never really hit me how arbitrarily weird the shape is. Not gonna bother with an air defense zone to the south since PLA planes can only fly straight.

they would be detected by radar while they were flying around to the rear, so there'd be plenty of time to scramble. the zones are basically drawn based on time from first possible radar detection to getting planes in the air. if/when china uses a carrier, that shape will probably change.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

they would be detected by radar while they were flying around to the rear, so there'd be plenty of time to scramble. the zones are basically drawn based on time from first possible radar detection to getting planes in the air. if/when china uses a carrier, that shape will probably change.

I thought they have two already?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

genericnick posted:

I thought they have two already?

yes, but they don't do any operations like that with it. Or do they? I thought it was still all training stuff

edit: yeah it looks like ~5 years of tests and poo poo before the fujian would actually be deployed. sounds like they plan to have 6 or so by 2035 though. that was fast

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 10:02 on Mar 1, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol its hella funny how similar the political dynasty stuff and corruption is in pakistan

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

genericnick posted:

what usually happens is plaa aircraft fly into the south-western corner of it then turn around and fly back

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

fits my needs posted:

lol its hella funny how similar the political dynasty stuff and corruption is in pakistan

You should write a musical about it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cuttlefush posted:

I think commercial airliners are required to report when you are passing the ADIZ so basically the military radars have more time to identify the commercial ones and military ones. But commercial planes fly in strict patterns anyway.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:56 on Mar 1, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

You should write a musical about it.

You know when Benazir Bhutto's son wins the election, there might be a musical.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol yeah

Bilawal Blues!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This all seems very racist

https://www.boredpanda.com/east-meets-west-illustrations-yang-liu/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Sino_Market/status/1630742685886840832

manufacturing pmi number up

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

its cool to compare chinas number to the haggard and irrational america number

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

okay but how much slurp did their apes juice

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dang the PLA trains them young.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Antonymous posted:

It's china's sea, they're supposed to be there!

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

this is bizarre.

also the combo of abstract “infographic” symbols and the overtly pejorative if not racist subtext makes me viscerally uncomfortable for some reason.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

I would love to hear the no-nonsense straightforward response to how Germans plan to cope with deindustrialization brought on by rising energy costs due to their support of NATO's war in the Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Thats just a rehash of the old hong kong vs china series of "minimalist" crap

https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/graphics-showing-why-hong-kong-not-china-shared-widely/