Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
HYPERSPACE WHALES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmfao grogu!!!!!!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Gonz posted:

HYPERSPACE WHALES

probably setting up foreshadowing for ahsoka finding ezra or ezra finding ahsoka

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Big fan of SPACE PIRATES. I hope that means we get Hondo to show up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pretty good start! small-scale and back-to-basics, at least for now. and an all-time grogu moment

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Cara dune died on the way back to her home planet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Cara dune died on the way back to her home planet.

Lol this.

It was a fine episode setting the stage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The kid at the beginning never had to fully swear to never remove his helmet.

Other than that, I'll never tire of seeing Grogu do cute kid poo poo and giggle when daddy merks some pirate trash.

That being said, the only thing that got my attention was the pirate king guy's ship looking like a miniature Eclipse.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Other than that, I'll never tire of seeing Grogu do cute kid poo poo and giggle when daddy merks some pirate trash.

That being said, the only thing that got my attention was the pirate king guy's ship looking like a miniature Eclipse.

GODDAMN that's what it was. I was thinking that shape seemed very familiar.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah I was like "whaaaa" when I saw That Keel but calmed down as I realized the proportions were all wrong.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kind of the platonic ideal of a mando episode, so a pretty good start:

We get some sense of galactic wonder with the lovely scene of grogu seeing the hyperspace whales. We know its foreshadowing, but it is also just a quiet moment showing something cool and grand.

Then we have the planet hopping fun, Navarros glow up and Greef, of course he has 2 droids carrying his cape tail, and the pirate standoff which is just classic. I love the makeup on the pirates there, really fun. IG11 terminator crawling after grogu was sick too.

The space scene is great, moving from that slice of life down time mando into a thrilling dog fight. The N1 is being used brilliantly.

The babu friks were great and i loved Djin cramming himself in there.

Then we cap it off with some more religious schism mando nonsense, which ya know what, its fine I'm here for it. Katee Sackoffs line reads were great and her just lounging in an empty castle attended by 1 droid tells us all we need to know.

The weakest part was the beginning, kind of a cheesy battle that was a worse retread of the Krayt dragon but it wasnt bad.

My only other nitpick is the episode wasnt really flowing as it kind of felt disjointed, especially visiting bo katan. And its weird no one has gone to mandalore and just take everyones word for it, yall have space ships.

Mando to me is at its best when its just kinda having fun out there, throwing lots of weird world building at the wall, lots of aliens and droids, it has a great sense of adventure and fun. If they could marry that to Andors plotting itd own but i cant be mad about what we get. Solid eppy

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 1, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bad Batch also had a solid episode, what the revisiting Tantiss, a zillo beast clone, and the gears de-rusting as the plot gets moving after weeks of disuse

Still, at least they got all the character growth out of the way, so it should be smooth(er) sailing from here...

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

pretty big croc

Spinning is always a good trick in star wars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This episode was kind of stupid lol. I liked the questing nature of the first 2 seasons but I wish they just would get on with the story. But i still had fun with the goofy pirate stuff.

Also wish Grogu ate babu frick. I hate that guy

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I dunno, that episode didn't quite gel with me.

The absurd giant crocodile fight flash back fakeout was just kind of gratuitous and unneccessary, IG11 somehow still being in one piece, until he was not, seemed to entirely only exist to set up a conflict with some new vilians, unless they're going to drop a suprise 'actually we found the chip'. Also those space whales seemed strange until someone said here it's yet another implicit tie into some other Filoni show?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mandalorian is essentially Fraggle Rock now.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Vinylshadow posted:

Still, at least they got all the character growth out of the way, so it should be smooth(er) sailing from here...
I'd say revealing that Omega is important is a pretty big deal.

"Aht last we-ah getting ree-suhlts!"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Isometric Bacon posted:

The absurd giant crocodile fight flash back fakeout was just kind of gratuitous and unneccessary, IG11 somehow still being in one piece, until he was not, seemed to entirely only exist to set up a conflict with some new vilians, unless they're going to drop a suprise 'actually we found the chip'. Also those space whales seemed strange until someone said here it's yet another implicit tie into some other Filoni show?

Me either. I feel like the worst part about that whole first act with the Watch is that it entirely undercuts what being an apostate feels like it should be? He should have had some religious stricture for that scene, like he has to be humiliated by keeping his helmet off while speaking to them etc.

Yeah it's a Rebels thing and will probably be relevant to the Ahsoka show given the thing they did in Rebels.

I hope it just felt like it was fumbling because they were too anxious that no one would understand what the gently caress was happening. Now it's all been reiterated hopefully they can get on with it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Eh, I resubbed for a month as it’s payday and I wanna keep up with things. That was a perfectly “fine” (but beautifully directed) episode of Mando that once again feels like the opening of a videogame with Mando visiting a bunch of questgivers to fill out his objectives list.

And I’m totally fine with that, tbh. Having just marathoned Jedi: Fallen Order last week, I suddenly realised this morning that I really am content with there being all this Star Wars stuff existing. Some of it is garbage (Obi-Wan, Boba, sequels), some of it is solidly alright (Mando, most of the games), some of it is amazing (Andor, Rebels, the best games).

Ultimately there’s always enough good stuff to counterbalance all the bad stuff, and some of the best stuff actively rehabilitates the worst. I’m now intrigued with the idea of shows that explore more of the Republic being already rotten at the core allowing it to transition into the Empire. I want to see more post RotJ stuff that properly sets up the rise of the First Order and makes them credible and interesting rather than one-note caricature villains.

I wish it was all as good as Andor, but it won’t be. But I also want to see stuff like the opening to Mando S03E01 which was incredibly dumb on a lot of levels, but the good kind of dumb which is fun and flashy and the “space fantasy” vibes of Star Wars I originally fell in love with 40 years ago.

Basically just keep pumping this poo poo out, Disney, try and make it better where possible, and not total poo poo where possible, and I’ll just pick out the good bits and enjoy the ride.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Isometric Bacon posted:

Purrgil, from Star Wars Rebels, yes

Also seemingly just a throwaway creature, until the series finale two seasons after their introduction, so obviously a bigger croc is going to be lurking on Mandalore and try to avenge its kin

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The Mandalorian is now my favorite kid’s television show and The Bad Batch is my favorite adult prestige drama.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Liked it overall, but again some of the writing was a bit clunky.

Apart from the ethics of displaying the partially-dismembered corpse of a local hero as a statue, it's a bit weird why Mando wants IG-11 back.
I would argue that the mechanics are nothing special, and he could just get any other IG droid - maybe add a few weapons modifications, but that should be it. The thing that made IG-11 special was his programming and his memories. Now if that's gone, what's the point of going in search of a new memory core?
They could at least have explained it with "his memory and programming are still in there, but he's missing a Special Part(TM) that lets him access all of it" and the result would've been the same.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dave Syndrome posted:

Apart from the ethics of displaying the partially-dismembered corpse of a local hero as a statue, it's a bit weird why Mando wants IG-11 back.
I would argue that the mechanics are nothing special, and he could just get any other IG droid - maybe add a few weapons modifications, but that should be it. The thing that made IG-11 special was his programming and his memories. Now if that's gone, what's the point of going in search of a new memory core?
They could at least have explained it with "his memory and programming are still in there, but he's missing a Special Part(TM) that lets him access all of it" and the result would've been the same.

He needs a droid but has some deeeeeeeep-seated issues with them considering they killed his parents and everyone he grew up with as a child. Trusting IG-11 at all is a big deal for him, and even memory-wiped it's still IG-11 to him. Any other droid is just A Droid, it doesn't have to be logical.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Dave Syndrome posted:

IG11 is a fan favourite, and thus his meaningful sacrifice, much like Mando passing Grogu to Luke, can be made irrelevant for merchandising purposes

That said, I enjoyed the episode. Mando still feels like the definition of Star Wars

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
holy poo poo there's a duct connecting the two bubbles in the homer car? This changes everything I knew

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

IG11 is a fan favourite, and thus his meaningful sacrifice, much like Mando passing Grogu to Luke, can be made irrelevant for merchandising purposes

that's what han solo was for

im uneasy about the ig11 thing because if he comes back it's just gonna be i just remember my friends one last time oh nevermind full memories restored and who wants to think about TRoS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ratjaculation posted:

That said, I enjoyed the episode. Mando still feels like the definition of Star Wars

I fully agree, but I think they could've gotten away with it if it was just the head intact rather than half the body and just rebuilt as much as they could from parts afterwards.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Dave Syndrome posted:

He trusts IG-11 because the droid has seen him without his helmet and can record/verify his atonement when he's in the mines.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

so he's like Blade except for putting on helmets instead of vampirism

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Where the heck will IG11 fit in that Naboo fighter anyway???

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Ratjaculation posted:

Just weld him to the side somehwere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ratjaculation posted:

Yeah, that's been my problem with the N-1 since it got shown off. It's undoubtedly neat and cool as hell, but it's not a good protagonist vehicle because it's very limited in what you can do with it writing-wise. The Razor Crest was big enough to be used for internal shots, bring along some extras-of-the-week, and just have little touches of lived-in decoration (the weapon locker, carbonite-frozen bounties, etc). With the N-1, what you see is what you get, and there's not a lot of wiggle-room for variation.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
maybe ig-11 can get their own ig-2000 spaceship like ig-88 has in some canons

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

couldn't you put a trailer hitch on it? As long as it's attached to the hyperdrive it should come with

with the added bonus now you have a tail gunner

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
ugh we really are gonna get Ezra, Thrawn, and those loving space whales.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thrawn is cool

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dave Syndrome posted:

Just weld him to the side somehwere.

:hmmyes:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Halfway through Andor.

A lot of fun so far, feels like an episodic Rogue One

Really liking it
It's really good and as much i don't like how the overall pacing is so slow, once it's over you are happy it was a slow burn and took the time to breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Pirates were flying R-41 starchasers from Tie Fighter, which is a touch I loved