Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

any boss fight where its just a single boss has gotta be tuned out of its mind and have a ton of attacks from the jump to not be a cake walk, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MotU posted:

Man I got Stray Alley Dog or whatever it's name was at the end of a Mirror Dungeon and was it supposed to be a joke? I 2 rounded it.

The Abnormalities as a whole are much weaker than the human enemies I'm finding.

The only remotely dangerous Abnormality I've seen so far was the Mayan Doomsday Clock.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Mh'yeah. Fought I think a chapter 3 boss some inquisitor guy? in the mirror dungeon who looked like they had a whole thing with minions they could do, but ended up getting T1 Staggered and taken out T2 or 3.
Def had more trouble getting to em, but even with the oyster? abno's speed penalty they never had a chance.
I'unno, maybe getting the burn gifts with the Liu duo did the trick

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the toy cyborgs can definitely start going off if you're not focus killing them one at a time

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

studio mujahideen posted:

any boss fight where its just a single boss has gotta be tuned out of its mind and have a ton of attacks from the jump to not be a cake walk, yeah

It started with like 5 attacks and looked like it could go up to 9? But yeah just plastered its 550HP immediately

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ariamaki posted:

Glad to be of service! I did just nearly lose a dungeon run to Mind Whip accidentally going off and OKO'ing my own Meursault after everything was dead. :v:

You mentioned some really bad random luck beats during a Mirror earlier and I just discovered something relevant: If you go into the settings cogwheel mid-battle and select Give Up, as long as you're not fully cleaned out? It rescinds the entire battle. No consequences, no costs other than IRL lost time. You can wind back the clock like Dante themselves and retry if somebody gets absolutely lasered down for no reason, as long as you catch it before a full party wipe.

Isn't this just a first failure refund?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I think I'm gonna take a break while I figure out how to beat the Tieqiu Clan reliably. They've got big rolls and are hitting me with paralysis a bunch, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Archonex posted:

Isn't this just a first failure refund?

No, I said during Mirror Dungeons, not the failure refund on the main story map. Normally if you fail in a Mirror fight you get kicked back onto the map with all of your dead units still dead. This is infinitely repeatable and has no cost.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I managed to do a clever thing on stream just now, where I needed 5 gloom to get my Tingtang boy his EGO for wave 2, but there was only 1 Staggered enemy left and my 2 Gloom were all the way at the far end.

So I just had everyone else defend and tapped the enemy with only the Gloom, giving me what I needed. It's a good option to keep in mind for weird niche situations like that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

And to counterpoint my discussion about human fights, the fact that Abnormalities seemingly keep gaining more actions but you do not during their fights also isn't great.

The action economy in general seems really rough for the player.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I’ve gained actions in abnormality battles a few times, but I have no idea at all what triggers it. It’s weird.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
J047726425 I'll add my id to the list as well.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

We posting friend codes? Mine is G911629813

Also relevant to shards: if you go to the inventory menu you can see the egoshards' item name and it specifically says season 1. Meaning hoarding egoshards now in the hopes of having enough to buy some future Gregor identity/EGO on release is probably out of the cards.

So the Season 1 egoshards thing apparently is because half your egoshards will be auto-converted to thread at the end of the season, I'm assuming to keep whales from sitting on a treasure trove of shards when the new gachas become available for shard purchase. Half your shard boxes are also opened and turned to thread. It's in the probability section in Extraction, at the end. So you will get to keep half your shards when the season ends.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I feel like I'm cheating when I use my Rabbit Heathcliff. Especially on mirror runs. He isn't quite as good in multiple waves fights, but even out of ammunition, he still has shitloads of coin to brute force clashes anyway.

Also I can't seem to add friends, but here's my id, Z100768585

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Arcanuse posted:

Mh'yeah. Fought I think a chapter 3 boss some inquisitor guy? in the mirror dungeon who looked like they had a whole thing with minions they could do, but ended up getting T1 Staggered and taken out T2 or 3.

I ended up fighting this guy twice in one Mirror Dungeon.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
The fish boss was kinda rough the three times I fought it in the mirror dungeon (maybe I was just fighting it wrong?); but all the human enemies are far easier to handle when they don't have a free +2 power on you because of the level equalization. You also have sanity persist between fights so you tend to keep winning almost all coin tosses as a result and keep on snowballing.

(Also, thanks for the Reindeer Ishmael support MotU!)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Something subtle in chapter 2 I realized a while after doing the conclusion: the other people at the table would have destroyed the Limbus team if they tried relying on wishpower because they were impersonating people famous for abusing it, so Dante "unluckily" discharging all that power to get them a bunch of money and to make them rely on Rodion to win was actually the best possible use of that sticker. Aside from it losing Ishmael's respect, anyway. :v: That's pretty clever! Good job, Project Moon.

I'm still slowly going through Chapter 3. It seems to me that once you have the Mirror Dungeon unlocked, it's best to do exactly three new story stages a day until you run out of story stages, since that's a Daily Battle Pass mission and you don't seem to get much for redoing missions. Apparently the reward for Battle Pass levels past the last set reward is selectable character shards, so maximizing BP points seems important if you actually want to hit that 400 shard pity.

I did pull R Corp Ishmael with another 10 and Threaded her up because my team lacks Gloom for Gregor and Hong Lu, so I'm glad it sounds like she'll be useful at the end of the chapter! ...when I get there this weekend. Haven't messed with friend supports, so if there's any reason you need a second person with one, she's on my Friends setting, my code's in a post or two of mine back in the thread.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

What is the difference between an Egoshard Crate and a Nominable Egoshard Crate? Just did my first dungeon and the game wants me to choose between the two but I have no idea what the difference is. The first is random and the second lets me pick the character, is that it?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

KazigluBey posted:

What is the difference between an Egoshard Crate and a Nominable Egoshard Crate? Just did my first dungeon and the game wants me to choose between the two but I have no idea what the difference is. The first is random and the second lets me pick the character, is that it?

That's it yes, one is random, the other lets you nominate the sinner you want, for the purpose of thread gathering the former is better because you get 5 of those and 3 of the latter.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

G316003421 let's be limbros

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well, beat everything available. More content when, is what I say.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So how is the best way to get upthreading your dudes? Use shards of characters that you aren't interested in/don't have buyable EGO/000 you want for thread?

And are there any identities that really enjoy upthreading in parricular? I know W Don can't use Charge without T3 for example.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Just got a 10 pull ticket gift. Apparently we're getting a roadmap? Don't see it out on the social yet.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

So how is the best way to get upthreading your dudes? Use shards of characters that you aren't interested in/don't have buyable EGO/000 you want for thread?

And are there any identities that really enjoy upthreading in parricular? I know W Don can't use Charge without T3 for example.

There's some thread boxes on the Battle Pass, but aside from that, yeah, you've got to burn Shards.

Tintang Gangleader Hong Lu is my favorite UT3, because Mutilate is very strong. (...if you win the coin flip, anyway. Between that and Shank Tingtang is a big gambling identity on actually getting his damage.) Blade Lineage Sinclair and G Corp Gregor also have kind of weak kits on their first two attacks and really appreciate the power jump from having the third available.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, beat everything available. More content when, is what I say.

Oh dear. Well, that's the problem with making a story heavy live services game - new levels are going to be so much more work for them than for most gachas.

I wish there was more variety in the EX conditions, it's fun to have little miniquests to do during a fight but they're all just "do it in 10 turns".

Qrr fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 1, 2023

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Einander posted:

Something subtle in chapter 2 I realized a while after doing the conclusion: the other people at the table would have destroyed the Limbus team if they tried relying on wishpower because they were impersonating people famous for abusing it, so Dante "unluckily" discharging all that power to get them a bunch of money and to make them rely on Rodion to win was actually the best possible use of that sticker. Aside from it losing Ishmael's respect, anyway. :v: That's pretty clever! Good job, Project Moon.

I'm still slowly going through Chapter 3. It seems to me that once you have the Mirror Dungeon unlocked, it's best to do exactly three new story stages a day until you run out of story stages, since that's a Daily Battle Pass mission and you don't seem to get much for redoing missions. Apparently the reward for Battle Pass levels past the last set reward is selectable character shards, so maximizing BP points seems important if you actually want to hit that 400 shard pity.

I did pull R Corp Ishmael with another 10 and Threaded her up because my team lacks Gloom for Gregor and Hong Lu, so I'm glad it sounds like she'll be useful at the end of the chapter! ...when I get there this weekend. Haven't messed with friend supports, so if there's any reason you need a second person with one, she's on my Friends setting, my code's in a post or two of mine back in the thread.

Something to note is that it doesn't need to be three new stages, it just needs to be any three. Mirror Dungeon clears count for this too and those also get you battle pass progress, as far as I can tell they're completely unmatched in exp per stamina spent as well even once you start getting half rewards after the first five per week. 60 stamina for 6000 exp vs 239 exp for 8 (maybe later chapters give more exp per sanity but I used 1-5 for ease and speed of testing).

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Cirina posted:

Something to note is that it doesn't need to be three new stages, it just needs to be any three. Mirror Dungeon clears count for this too and those also get you battle pass progress, as far as I can tell they're completely unmatched in exp per stamina spent as well even once you start getting half rewards after the first five per week. 60 stamina for 6000 exp vs 239 exp for 8 (maybe later chapters give more exp per sanity but I used 1-5 for ease and speed of testing).

Really? Because previously I saw "stages cleared" on the BP stay at 0 after a Mirror Dungeon clear. If that was a weird one-off rather than the actual intended design then that's fine, but I'll have to wait until reset to check again. "saving" uncleared stages was about getting the maximum value out of stamina, not thinking reclearing old stages didn't count.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Mirror Dungeons don’t count for stage clear, just any story stage

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Cirina posted:

I was getting something like 600-700 ish exp for 18 stam in chapter 3.

Mirror Dungeon clears definitely seem to be where it's at, especially if battle pass progress past level 60 gives you shards.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Colin Mockery posted:

I was getting something like 600-700 ish exp for 18 stam in chapter 3.

Mirror Dungeon clears definitely seem to be where it's at, especially if battle pass progress past level 60 gives you shards.

There's also human time value, though. A fight in chapter 3 is 3 waves and at some point you'll be able to just kind of skip through it by being overpowered. The mirror dungeon is like 15 waves and you can never outlevel it. It works out while you enjoy the gameplay, but grinding can definitely get tedious.

Einander posted:

Really? Because previously I saw "stages cleared" on the BP stay at 0 after a Mirror Dungeon clear. If that was a weird one-off rather than the actual intended design then that's fine, but I'll have to wait until reset to check again. "saving" uncleared stages was about getting the maximum value out of stamina, not thinking reclearing old stages didn't count.

For the stages cleared task, does the tutorial count? Because if so you can get 3 stages cleared for no stamina and basically no time.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
While Mirror dungeons don't count as stage clear, the tutorial levels that don't cost Enkephalin do (bar the first one where you lose).

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Qrr posted:

There's also human time value, though. A fight in chapter 3 is 3 waves and at some point you'll be able to just kind of skip through it by being overpowered. The mirror dungeon is like 15 waves and you can never outlevel it. It works out while you enjoy the gameplay, but grinding can definitely get tedious.

Oh, for sure. With a friend summon, I can already skip through the 3-2 two-wave fight just by hitting the "win rate" button over and over, which is what I was doing with my stam before I realized the Mirror Dungeons still give a whopping 6000 exp per run. All the levels in the same chapter seem to give just about the same amount of XP, I've noticed.

I'm less sure on how to make the mirror dungeon faster, but I'm hoping having a full party of level 3 upties and multiple EGOs equipped makes you strong enough to blast through the early fights, since those stay the same even if the levels don't. I can usually get through the first floor pretty quickly, but after that, it takes more attention. All the fights have the "autopick" option on them, so in theory...

It helps a lot that Project Moon lets you bank stamina as Enkephalin Modules though, so you can just stockpile modules if you want to grind dungeons but don't have the time at the moment.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some repeatable daily grind maps for raw XP, Shards and Threads would be nice not gonna lie.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

SITB posted:

The fish boss was kinda rough the three times I fought it in the mirror dungeon (maybe I was just fighting it wrong?); but all the human enemies are far easier to handle when they don't have a free +2 power on you because of the level equalization. You also have sanity persist between fights so you tend to keep winning almost all coin tosses as a result and keep on snowballing.

(Also, thanks for the Reindeer Ishmael support MotU!)

In case it's not just me - I was really struggling with that boss until I remembered that EGO is a thing, but that did the trick handily. Of course the game then froze right after my victory. Maybe because I started this mirror dungeon before the daily roll-over? Who knows! Feels bad!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Being in a mirror dungeon when weekly rollover happens fails your mirror dungeon, btw. I still got XP and manager XP based on my progress though, which is better than nothing.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm sure some of you already know this but Kaballah symbolism features heavily in the world's mythos

The characters you meet in Lobotomy Corporation are called the Sephirah, which in Kaballah are the 10 attributes that the divinity reveals itself (also named Sefirot), and each has the same name as in Kaballah (Hod, Binah, Yesod, etc...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sefirot

Qliphoth in Kaballah are impure forces that are obstacles to holiness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qliphoth

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Oh you're right, the mirror dungeon doesn't count for a stage clear. Could've sworn it did but I was wrong.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Huh. I got the Rabbit version of Heathcliff and while he has a card that builds charge he has no way to spend it. Even at maximum uptie. I wonder if it is supposed to give ammo?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do Rodion and Sonya read as exes to you or just as childhood friends

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Huh. I got the Rabbit version of Heathcliff and while he has a card that builds charge he has no way to spend it. Even at maximum uptie. I wonder if it is supposed to give ammo?

charge decays over time in limbus and he has rewards for having high charge. Plus, Graze the Grass was a charge gen card in ruina.
It's definitely weird that he runs out of ammo given that rabbit mooks had "sufficient ammo" passive to NOT do that, but he's a great character nonetheless. Even when running out of ammo he still is fantastic for clashes.

anyway I got to the third dungeon's boss, and i figured, I havent had trouble on any stages up until now, and while the stuff leading up to it was hard i only lost one sinner.
ah, it's like fighting xiao for the first time.... I got completely destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Credit to Connie_rider on Reddit for this, completely nailing this group's dynamic: