Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In mainline comics: Batman vs. Robin went full anime and there's an obviously awkward conversation between Supergirl and Power Girl (which is especially amusing given that the front end of Action Comics has literally everyone else from the Superman Family)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Space Fish posted:

This is killing me, because when the issues were originally coming out I saw nothing but "Tom King does True Grit" reactions, and I guess the pendulum has swung the other way with people's no-context confusion.

Also, the miniseries was cut down to eight issues, so that semi-rushed conclusion is no accident.

Oh wow well yeah, that’ll do it.
Wait all of you thought this was bad? I thought everyone thought it was good? Why did I read it then?!?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

In mainline comics: Batman vs. Robin went full anime and there's an obviously awkward conversation between Supergirl and Power Girl (which is especially amusing given that the front end of Action Comics has literally everyone else from the Superman Family)

Power Girl even got a jacket! How can she complain if she got a jacket like everyone else?

But yeah, I thought that was funny too. Everyone is on the cover but her, then her being excluded is brought up in the comic itself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think King has talked about how he wants to tell certain stories and he kind of half assedly puts superheroes on top.

Which I don’t get the point of doing that. At this point he could probably just write those stories independently if he wanted

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Power Girl even got a jacket! How can she complain if she got a jacket like everyone else?

But yeah, I thought that was funny too. Everyone is on the cover but her, then her being excluded is brought up in the comic itself.

Even Kong is there and he's not even a Kryptonian!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I think King has talked about how he wants to tell certain stories and he kind of half assedly puts superheroes on top.

Which I don’t get the point of doing that. At this point he could probably just write those stories independently if he wanted

Because DC pays him to do it, he wins Eisner awards for it, and gets to work with some of the best artists in the field. James Gunn also seems to like his work, so he’ll be slapping super heroes into whatever western/war/noir stories he wants to write for a long time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CharlestheHammer posted:

I get that sort for something like Human Target which does some incredible contortions to make the JLI fit into his "pool of stock noir archetypal murder suspects" but I get outside of that is a gorgeously drawn stock noir murder mystery.

But "I want to re-do True Grit" is a weird thing to want to do without superheroes, because then it would just be redoing True Grit.

Also wow, I did not realize how many Eisners Tom King has won (two Best Writers, two Best Short Story, two Best Limited Series), that is... not surprising exactly, but something.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 1, 2023

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wait is The Human Target series good? I have the first volume of that too because it was recommended but I’m, as I said, hot and cold on King.
Just reading a bunch of comics that are on “best-of” lists from the past couple years. New YA librarian and I’m trying to improve and modernize our GN collection after not reading many modern comics for uhhhh 6 six years.
If you think there’s other better stuff I should check out please tell me. I have also read and enjoyed (in the DC world) Taylor’s Nightwing, Adams’s Flash, Ram V’s Swamp Thing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Wait is The Human Target series good? I have the first volume of that too because it was recommended but I’m, as I said, hot and cold on King.
People like it, I am not one of them as far as the writing goes, but I very much appreciate Greg Smallwood's art.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I do like it a lot, but it is absolutely worth it for the art alone for sure.

I mean, if you already own it just give it a read and see which camp you will fall into!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I don’t own it, I’m a librarian who takes advantage of the amazingly robust inter library loan system in place at the NYPL! You should too kids! (If you’re in NYC) (Honestly NYPL has such an incredibly deep well of TPBs and GNs, you can find pretty much anything you’d ever wanna read in there comics-wise)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The art is great in Human Target, but it's just a standard noir tale. And a noir just leans into the worst of his habits when it comes to writing women where they're manipulative and unlikable and "oh you thought I was good and innocent but actually I can be a liar and cruel!" thing

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Read what you want to read and don’t let opinions sour you on it before you give it a shot. Not just King stuff, but anything. Do what ya want!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Also wow, I did not realize how many Eisners Tom King has won (two Best Writers, two Best Short Story, two Best Limited Series), that is... not surprising exactly, but something.

Pulled a Best Short Story Eisner with Ace the Bathound.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I don’t own it, I’m a librarian who takes advantage of the amazingly robust inter library loan system in place at the NYPL! You should too kids! (If you’re in NYC) (Honestly NYPL has such an incredibly deep well of TPBs and GNs, you can find pretty much anything you’d ever wanna read in there comics-wise)
Why are BPL and NYPL separate systems and which of the various Crises/universal reboots would be the best model to merge them and just let me have one library card?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Edge & Christian posted:

Why are BPL and NYPL separate systems and which of the various Crises/universal reboots would be the best model to merge them and just let me have one library card?

Ask the higher ups.

We are not fully separate, we’re like the Flashes of Earth 1 and Earth 2, pals operating in similar fashions.

You should actually be able to merge your card even tho it’s two different systems. Just gotta ask. It’s a lil complicated (I haven’t had to do it yet) but insofar as I’ve been told, it can be done. You just can’t return books from one system to the other one.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I haven't tried in awhile but mostly I just wish I could get every requested hold from NYPL delivered to my local BPL but also I haven't really tried since before the pandemic so I could be working on assumptions build 3-4 multiversal reboots ago.

Back on topic and speaking of reboots, I do kind of love how Nightwing/Titans/JLA right now is built on the following assumptions:

1. During the Dark Crisis, the Hall of Justice was wrecked and the Justice League was presumed dead
2. After the Dark Crisis, the Justice League's confidence is shaken by this and they ask the Titans, who endured the Dark Crisis with aplomb and only some of their roster dead/presumed dead to take point, since the Hall of Justice was destroyed.
3. Dick Grayson builds a new Titans Tower in Bludhaven, because the last Titans Tower in New York was destroyed during the Dark Crisis too. And was mostly destroyed right before Dark Crisis. And the new Titans Tower is built out of a private prison complex that got blown up. And the very next issue is built around the mystery of a corpse found in the last Titans Tower that just got blown up.
4. Superman builds a Steelworks skyscraper that is meant to be another symbolic tower of justice that is blown up and leveled shortly before its opening ceremony.
5. The Justice League can't just continue to be the Justice League now that their headquarters is wrecked!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Sup fellow library working person. Like you I too work in a library, but unlike you I cannot take full advantage of ILL for graphic novels. I work in an academic library and all requests have to carry some academic purpose and sadly my supervisor in ILL won't allow "I just wanna see what happens in Batman:No Man's Land" count as an academic purpose.
Adding to this woe is that the public library, while having a robust GN collection, won't do ILL for graphic novels for some reason. I am stuck not knowing how Batman: No Man's Land goes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I haven't tried in awhile but mostly I just wish I could get every requested hold from NYPL delivered to my local BPL but also I haven't really tried since before the pandemic so I could be working on assumptions build 3-4 multiversal reboots ago.

Back on topic and speaking of reboots, I do kind of love how Nightwing/Titans/JLA right now is built on the following assumptions:

1. During the Dark Crisis, the Hall of Justice was wrecked and the Justice League was presumed dead
2. After the Dark Crisis, the Justice League's confidence is shaken by this and they ask the Titans, who endured the Dark Crisis with aplomb and only some of their roster dead/presumed dead to take point, since the Hall of Justice was destroyed.
3. Dick Grayson builds a new Titans Tower in Bludhaven, because the last Titans Tower in New York was destroyed during the Dark Crisis too. And was mostly destroyed right before Dark Crisis. And the new Titans Tower is built out of a private prison complex that got blown up. And the very next issue is built around the mystery of a corpse found in the last Titans Tower that just got blown up.
4. Superman builds a Steelworks skyscraper that is meant to be another symbolic tower of justice that is blown up and leveled shortly before its opening ceremony.
5. The Justice League can't just continue to be the Justice League now that their headquarters is wrecked!

Steelworks is more Steel's than Superman's I'd say, but still.
There's also Arkham Tower that was built in the middle of Gotham. Didn't get blown up iirc, but got shut down and now is being converted into something else by a branch of the Arkham family
Lex's building has also been changed into a Superman tower and that's 100% gonna get blown up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly how can you be a superhero team without a headquarters?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There are tons of abandoned warehouses/playgrounds in every major city of America. If it's good enough for the villains it's good enough for the heroes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Action Comics was definitely great this week; the Superman line really seems to be one of the strongest corners of DC right now.

And yet...despite that...is it just me or has Metallo become so very tired as a device? I can't actually remember the last time he showed up to be messy and unhinged about things...and yet, watching it here, it feels like I'd just seen it the other day.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Funny new motive for Freeze in 'tec. He's essentially doing cold tech research because his wife hates him and he's under the belief that it's because the unfreezing process cause brain damage.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly how can you be a superhero team without a headquarters?

It’s the 21st century bro, no one needs office space anymore, we can all do it remotely. Batman calling in from the Batcave in full costume while everyone else dials in from bed, on mute so he can’t hear that they’re watching telly while he’s talking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

It’s the 21st century bro, no one needs office space anymore, we can all do it remotely. Batman calling in from the Batcave in full costume while everyone else dials in from bed, on mute so he can’t hear that they’re watching telly while he’s talking.

The Batcave is a headquarters for Batpeople!!!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

The Batcave is a headquarters for Batpeople!!!

Note: Batman currently does not have a Batcave.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Chicago Public Library as a similarly vast collection of TPBs and GNs along with an excellent interlibrary loan system and it rules (I'm a librarian, too, but work for an academic library). Unfortunately, there are a hundred people in line to check out Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands right now.

I am surprised people in this thread are so down on Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow. Read it recently and thought it was superb, but perhaps the fact that I'd never read a Supergirl comic before has something to do with it. The True Grit influence is rather blatant, though Supergirl isn't Rooster Cogburn, so that plus the planet-hopping conceit was enough to allow the book to stand on its own for me. Also, I enjoyed the dialogue/narration throughout and Bilquis Evely's art is glorious. My main criticism is that the the Blues/Purples allegory is pretty ham-fisted.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 1, 2023

radlum
May 13, 2013
So if I like noir, don’t care for the JLI and dislike Guy Gardner, will I enjoy Human Target?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

radlum posted:

So if I like noir, don’t care for the JLI and dislike Guy Gardner, will I enjoy Human Target?

I'd say there's a good chance. Pun not intended.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

radlum posted:

Yeah most likely

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

iirc there's a part in one of the Injustice comics that makes a joke about this (in reverse). Batman's doing a meeting over the computer with all his resistance fighters over the internet and when it ends the camera pulls back to show that he's just in his underwear with the cowl on.

idk maybe it wasn't Injustice but I'm like 99% sure I read something like this in an actual DC comic and not a webcomic making the joke

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

iirc there's a part in one of the Injustice comics that makes a joke about this (in reverse). Batman's doing a meeting over the computer with all his resistance fighters over the internet and when it ends the camera pulls back to show that he's just in his underwear with the cowl on.

idk maybe it wasn't Injustice but I'm like 99% sure I read something like this in an actual DC comic and not a webcomic making the joke

Sounds like a Harley Quinn cartoon gag

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Justice League should just go back to their headquarters in Detroit

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I talked to Dwayne McDuffie about that after he finished his JLA run. It’s the first thing I’d do if I pulled a Vulpes and took over a comic companies lead super hero team.

There’s enough DC characters from Detroit you could make a super hero team out of it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
What’s Wally West’s current status?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

I think he's the Flash

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wally is the Flash for Earth stuff while Barry is the Flash for multiverse stuff.

Wallace, "Ace," is Kid Flash while Bart remains as Impulse.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

radlum posted:

Best Flash

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flash Facts.

The Flash ongoing is a really solid title right now. The writer realizes Wally is Best Flash and is at his best when he runs fast and loves Linda (and now the twins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The war storyline in Flash right now is pretty cool.