Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://twitter.com/ST_Vault/status/1625181969117061125

HtV2 has been unlocked for STV, meaning people can write and publish fan content and actually make money off it now. Bunch of free templates and art assets and crap like that in the link. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

In the more recent 5E stuff does the Camarilla still hold to the whole 'no smartphone' stuff?

It hasn't been, but really, the whole thing was written as a knee-jerk reaction to stuff. People just take it too literal OOC. It's elders going 'don't use it at ALL!' when, in practice, sensible vampires just Don't Talk About Vampire poo poo Via Technology.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished my relationship map for my game and we're due to start next week Everyone can poke around and look at things here to see if this is something useful for your games. But here are the highlights:

This is the whole thing zoomed out. You can get an idea of what's going on, but it's pretty chaotic.

Next, we zoom in on a specific element, I made sure none of the links between elements cross through any element, but it still looks wild, since the Invictus is the central covenant of the game

Clicking on any element allows you to open a tab on the right to see info on. Iris is one of the PCs, you can see what she has for tags and the info about her is really brief since she's not an NPC.

Her sire has more info, since this is an element the players will reference. When new info is learned, that can be added. She also has tags, but those are lower down and not in this screenshot

Also, in order make things a bit neater, you can select an element and click a button to focus on it, which drops everything not directly connected to that element. Using the arrows by that button you can expand or contract those connections by 1 step.

Finally, for the players that can't remember the name of the NPC they're looking for, you can search by tags. I typed in vampire, which brought up everything with the vampire tag, and then Eastside, which narrowed that down to those vamps on the Eastside of the city. You can add more tags to narrow the list further if needed.

This is such a great tool and I'll be using it for all my games from now on.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Finally finished my relationship map for my game and we're due to start next week Everyone can poke around and look at things here to see if this is something useful for your games. But here are the highlights:

This is the whole thing zoomed out. You can get an idea of what's going on, but it's pretty chaotic.

[...]
This is such a great tool and I'll be using it for all my games from now on.

This is very awesome. I wish this had existed/I had found it about 6-7 years ago. I cobbled one together in MindNode but this is so much better and interactive.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I just played in a 3 day Vampire LARP at a country house in rural England. Was a lot of fun!

Abbott Garinol, Elder of clan Cappadocian; Harpy, scholar, necromancer and heretic.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
That looks and sounds like a lot of fun!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Enjoy posted:

I just played in a 3 day Vampire LARP at a country house in rural England. Was a lot of fun!

Abbott Garinol, Elder of clan Cappadocian; Harpy, scholar, necromancer and heretic.

Did you guys sleep all day and then stay up all night to play?

(That sounds fun as hell)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Did you guys sleep all day and then stay up all night to play?

Haha it felt like it towards the end, I was getting very tired from climbing stairs to deliver messages (I wanted to be an obsequious vizier type rather than a political power myself)

This was the LARP https://thechildrenofthesun.com/

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Hey of Darkness thread, how are the WoD VNs on steam? I've heard that Parliment of Knives is good and I've been debating picking it and maybe some of the others up

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Night Road is the best one, by far.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mcclay posted:

Hey of Darkness thread, how are the WoD VNs on steam? I've heard that Parliment of Knives is good and I've been debating picking it and maybe some of the others up

The only one I've heard really mixed things about is the latest, Sins of the Sires. Apparently it comes off really rushed and kinda railroad-y. Everything else I've played myself and enjoyed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fuzz posted:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Yes this. Coteries seemed.fun, but then at the end you realize how nothing you did actually mattered ND npcs just monologs at you like a bad tt game.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Parliament is good to play after a few (or more) runs through Night Road. Since these are text games you can get them on the phone, I played Parliament that way. Night Road also has DLC that is worth buying all at once.

Coteries is basically a prequel to Shadows of New York. Both are great on atmosphere. Turn out the lights and take them slow. There's no rush since they have almost no replay value.

That's my take as a VTM fan that is alt-tabbed out of Bloodlines run #7432 right now.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Binged a run of Night Roads in 2 hours. Good poo poo, got me inspired enough to finish up my character for the V20 Pyongang I just got into. When payday comes next week I might pick up Parliament of Knoifes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Coteries of New York is worth it only as setup for Shadows of New York. Both feature one of the best Malkavians ever. (It's the same person. Ish.)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Coteries of New York is worth it only as setup for Shadows of New York. Both feature one of the best Malkavians ever. (It's the same person. Ish.)

Hope rules and was easily the best character in Coteries. Although Kadir is probably a close #2.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Has there been any news yet re: New York by Night season 3?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Time for another recap, this time Thomas the Tremere and Augustus the Banu Haqim meet new friends and deal with old foes! To start the session the coterie received the following invitation from Cockroach, the Nosferatu who hangs around in their territory with the local unhoused community and who has agreed to gather information on FBI Special Affairs Division activities for them.

The coterie arrived at Bar None, located a few blocks south from their territory. Bar None is a rustic local bar, specializing in East Coast breweries as well as a surprisingly large selection of wines. As soon as they arrived Cockroach greeted them warmly, but another, very impressive looking Kindred told them to leave immediately, wait an hour and come back when they look like living people (the players had not used blush of life). Realizing they had made a major faux-pas, they spent the hour trying to hunt in what was clearly someone else’s domain.

Anyways, an hour later they arrive and are introduced properly to Cockroaches coterie. Like Cockroach, these are all pre-written NPCs from several sources, adjusted to fit our campaign. We have Allicia, a mute singer who spends most of the evening tapping away at her phone. We have the Critic, formerly a multi-talented artist, now looking for another multi-talented artist to serve as the next Critic. And we have Portia, owner of this bar, who directs most of the conversation, sharing gossip and questioning the players. (Yes, it’s most likely that Portia!)

I mostly introduced these characters so the players know more Kindred who are not part of the local government, but we had some enjoyable social scenes. Portia questioned Augustus’ morals as naive and Augustus had to defend his worldview (Augustus is a pious man who believes things can and should be better, just has very little idea what that means in practice). Augustus’ son also happened to visit the bar on a date, and Augustus tried to eavesdrop on this. He made it with enough finesse to not be seen by his son or his date, but he did not hear anything in particular and the other Kindred present noticed that this young man is of importance to Augustus.

And finally, Cockroach revealed that she had learned the identities of the agents going after the players, agents Bigby and Crawford, and that they were about to make some sort of move soon. Cockroach also emphasized that unlike the Hunters the players had previously dealt with, these were not some amateur gangsters, these were federal agents. If you attack a federal agent, you attack the United States of America and the government will retaliate hard. No one wants that. The players pretended to be aware of this and capable of handling it, but were willing to hear suggestions. The players could lay low until heat dies down, they could make the agents their thralls, or they could discredit the agents.

The players opted to discredit the agents and started to form a plan. And their plan was to contact Walter Nash, who owned them a major boon, to do it for them. They met Nash, who vowed that he had changed his ways and was proper, good Kindred nowadays. He mentioned it enough times that it should have raised some red flags. Nevertheless he agreed to take care of it and discredit the agents. The players were pleased and finally realized the worth of having boons owed to them and having other Kindred solve problems for them. Unfortunately this most likely will backfire, but I believe I had made it quite clear to them that Walter Nash is a prohibition era gangster with ties to the fire department, who had on more than one occasion drained a mortal nearly to death and left others to deal with it, and who was in the players’ debt because he had been revealing Kindred secrets to save his own skin and the players had dealt with his blackmailer. So I’m not sure why the players assume he is a good choice for anything requiring subtlety, but they have made their choice and will eventually face the consequences.

After all of that, it was time to deal with a task they had been given in the previous session. Padre Mateo, a Catholic priest working for a mysterious organization had blackmailed the players to hand over one Josephine Habermann, leader of a local paramilitary group of hunters called the Night’s Cross. The players had previously scouted the area by night, and had utilized their connections to have the place observed during the day. Mostly they had learned that their target doesn’t leave the building with her apartment and the hunters’ bar. They also learned that the group had been stocking up on weapons and they were planning a trip to a farm upstate to train, so they had a deadline, unless they wanted to assault a hunter compound in the middle of the woods.

This situation brought up an interesting issue, which we discussed after the game. My players are not experienced roleplayers, so they had a video game mentality of looking for solutions a game designer has provided. But that is not how I write situations, I want my players to surprise me so I just describe a situation and wait for players to create solutions.

Nevertheless the knowledge of a deadline got them to act, they snuck into Habermann's apartment through a fire escape, while she was downstairs working at the bar. In the apartment they found Habermann’s laptop, and looking through recent communications and notes they learned two things. First, Habermann had been in communication with the German Catholic Church, then with the Vatican, and then the Entity Special Operations Group and Padre Mateo. So now the players know who their employer works for, and that Habermann’s personal notes refer to ESOG as “the OG inquisition”. Second, they learned more of another rumored hunter group called Night Guardians. There were notes on areas they frequented and that Night Guardians are what local rumors call the group, it is unknown what the groups actual name is. There were also Habermann’s pondering on this groups modus operandi. They seem to target people who stalk around nightclubs at closing time and follow single women. So the group clearly hunts predators, just not necessarily supernatural ones.

Habermann returned to her apartment near dawn and was ambushed by the players. A dose of Scorpion’s Touch rendered her unconscious and the first part of their operation was done without issue. Second part was delivering her to St. Patrick’s Cathedral. My players had been so focused on taking out Habermann without harming her, that they had completely forgotten about exfiltration and now they quickly had to come up with a plan as dawn was approaching.

With very little options, Thomas spent his last unspecified dot in contacts to know a getaway driver who was waiting for them. They delivered Habermann to the Cathedral fulfilling their end of the deal. Now ESOG has a skilled hunter to train the next generation of vampire hunters instead of getting killed or arrested. And Padre deletes all the information about the coterie and promises that his organization will not operate in North Williamsburg for the next ten years. The coterie is not pleased, they had been promised their domain would remain unharassed permanently, but are not in a position to argue.

And with that done, the session was over! Without their leader, the Night’s Cross soon disbands and the players have rid themselves of a longtime antagonist group.

Lord Hypnostache fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 27, 2023

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
V5 clans as explained by Jorp. Normally I wouldn't post meme content like this but A) They're actual quotes, not AI generated, and B) the actual quotes used are so accurate it hurts.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

but they have made their choice and will eventually face the consequences.

My favorite phrase. My discord pbp has been going good for the last few days, I'll try to get a quick write up of what's going on soon

\/\/\/i died on the ministry one

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 1, 2023

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Skios posted:

V5 clans as explained by Jorp. Normally I wouldn't post meme content like this but A) They're actual quotes, not AI generated, and B) the actual quotes used are so accurate it hurts.

Jorp sucks but god drat that was legit pretty funny. Ravnos was :discourse:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

Jorp sucks but god drat that was legit pretty funny. Ravnos was :discourse:

:hai:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don't sleep on the Ministry one. "Do you believe in God? Let's define a few things like 'Do' and 'You.'"

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018
For anyone following V5's stuff

V5 Player's Guide PDF on March 27th for the people who pre-ordered

Blood Sigils pre-order is up. - https://renegadegamestudios.com/vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition-roleplaying-game-blood-sigils-sourcebook/

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MoonKnight posted:

For anyone following V5's stuff

V5 Player's Guide PDF on March 27th for the people who pre-ordered

Blood Sigils pre-order is up. - https://renegadegamestudios.com/vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition-roleplaying-game-blood-sigils-sourcebook/

Sweet I already pre-ordered the players guide and was waiting for Blood Sigils to go up

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As a reminder the Players' Guide has the stuff on the Banu Haqim with the benefit of not having to read the Camarilla book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So Santa Sangre 2.0 has been running for a week now. This is a sequel to a werewolf game I ran for these players. In the time since, there was a war and the city (based on corpus christie) is in an East/West Berlin style cold war, with the bridge across the bay acting as the Wall. The coterie are the childer of the new Primogen on the Westside, the only vampires embraced since the peace treaty between the Invictus and the Carthains/Werewolves. Their job is act as envoys, fixers, and investigators.

Our players are:

Becky: Mekhet Wheel chair using v-tuber, prefers to work remote through a drone.

Key: Daeva Enby fashionista, basically the coterie's face character. Younger sibling of the player's werewolf character from our first game.

Hari: Nosferatu heavy, an immigrant from the Philippians, who's reexamining all the mystical mumojumbo his lola would tell him about before he came over here.

Iris: Ventrue, pint sized beauty queen and martial arts master. Our main hitter and biggest combat monster, she also trained in fencing with this player's werewolf character before her embrace.

Kizzy: Gangrel. Literal catgirl. An Ordo Dracul experiment in creating the perfect vampire.

The game started with the characters attending Elysium where they were officially introduced to the city. They had been embraced a year previous and spent this time training under their respective sires and learning about the city,it's threats, politics, and their responsibilities. The Prince granted them the title of Justicar (this is requiem so I don't think masquerade style justicars are a thing and I like the title so I used it) which gave them the right to enter any vampire's territory without announcing themselves, although they do NOT have the right to feed in that territory. That anyone who attacks them while they are on official business will be treated as if they had attacked the prince or the primogen. But the one that really set off the crowd was that they had the right to administer final death without consulting the Prince and primogen first. If they did, they would need to present evidence justifying their use of deadly force or face punishment.

So basically, I took my players who love nothing more than being queer revolutionaries, upending that status quo and creating a better environment for everyone through lots of punching, and turned them into cops. It's great.

They were given their first mission which was to investigate the territory of an elder who came to the prince after finding multiple drained bodies that she covered up. They think the cause is one or more Revenants.

Again, not sure if this is a thing in VtR already, but I'm basically taking a bit of Blade and a bit of zombie and smashing them together. There's already lore in VtR that sometimes a vampire can arise after being drained to death. So I tweaked that and said that, very rarely what rises up isn't actually undead. It's still alive, it can walk in the sun, but it has a hunger more intense than any vampire. The revenants can resist the hunger at first, still drawing sustenance from food and rink like a mortal but the longer they go without blood the more feral they become until they snap and start to feed on anything they can grab. A person drained by a revenant is more likely to become a revenant, so when one is discovered they're put down immediately.

I combined this with the sabbat mass embrace from VtM to say that during the war, the Carthains would mix their vitae together, drain to death a bunch of mortals douse them in the vitae mixture and then buried them. A few of these bodies would rise as revenants, but because of the trauma of having to dig out from a mass grave, they emerged fully feral and served as disposable shock troops. If there are revenants in the city, they need to be exterminated immediately before the masquerade is shattered.

After this, they mingled, got some first impressions on a couple NPCs that caught their interest and received special missions from each of their sires before heading back to their communal haven and heart of their territory the Sangre-La Gentleman's club, which used to belong to the former Daeva primogen, and discussed the missions they had been given. They decided to have a quick look at the abandoned biotech campus of the company BioGen in the downtown area, Kizzy's sire told her there were secret Ordo labs under the building's basement area that she needed destroyed and to make sure nothing was living down there as well.

They get to the campus which is three buildings surrounding a bit of greenspace and notice that in the alley behind one of buildings there's a sewer cap that looks like it's been moved back and forth frequently. So they hop into the sewers and poke around with Becky riding on Hari's back. Key botches an investigation roll and grabs a bloated dead rat that explodes nasty guts all over key who is NOT dressed for sewer exploration. The rest of the group find a hidden entrance to the Ratways, which was a tunnel system the Carthian nosferatu used to traverse the city. Entering the tunnel they find a body with terrible claw wounds on it's abdomen and face eaten off by rats. The blood trail leads further down the tunnel, which Becky scouts with her drone, showing that it came from the other side of a secret door leading into one of the BioGen buildings.

The enter the lab and see the blood trail go one direction so send the drone the other way which shows a room that has some machines with active power indicators despite the rest of this facility being pitch black. So far everything is good, but they decide to split the party when the catgirl runs off following the blood trail. Hari goes with her while Iris, Becky,and Key (who now has Becky riding him) go to investigate the lights.

Our trio open the door into a weird lab with lots of glass chambers and the smell of a predator's lair, they're immediately on edge. The other two find a second body and a Go Pro camera, the faceless guy was a local UrbEx streamer. The camera is dead, so they'll have to charge it see what's on it. Hari notices that an office door further on is open while all the other doors have been closed so they investigate.

Back in the lab, Becky plugs her laptop into the computer servers and begins to attempt to hack in and get the information stored there, Key revives a pair of night vision goggles from Becky, since they're the only one without auspex or protean enhanced senses. And Iris has just enough warning to dodge the attack of a catgirl who looks like Kizzy if Kizzy was the middle image in an animorphs cover.

Things are bad, Key is a noncombatant, Becky isn't the most mobile vampire around and in the middle of an extended roll that's taking her attention, it's all down to Iris who, being a combat monster kills the catgirl while only taking a single level of damage.

Across the complex in the office, the duo surprise a large house cat with the same fur coloration as Kizzy's hair. It darts off, but Kizzy is fast enough to catch it. Hari, having been warned of the danger in the lab leaves to go help. After he leaves and Kizzy is alone, the cat transforms into another of the monstrous catgirls and the two fight, after hearing the catgirl yowl super loud!

Hari turns around and comes back and the two are able to dispatch the monster. Iris, also having heard the scream leaves Becky and Key to help with the fight. Of course when she leaves another black and white cat comes strolling into the lab and hisses at the two noncombatants.

Long story short there were six total of the strange shapeshifting catgirls, that probably explains why Kizzy is called Kizzy Siete by her sire. We had some unfortunate combat rolls, so our three combat monsters are almost all entirely filled with lethal damage, we've have multiple frenzy rolls, multiple degeneration rolls, and there is now a very real distrust between Kizzy and Hari after she witnessed Hari tearing the hearts out of these monster clones of herself.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Lord's work is being done here.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Huh, the Ravnos are in V5? I thought they all died because their clan's progenitor got blown up by wizards.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Whirling posted:

Huh, the Ravnos are in V5? I thought they all died because their clan's progenitor got blown up by wizards.

Gehenna didn't really happen/it's an on going process and not actually the end of the world is the new cannon. Although I believe their clan bane is related to the antidiluvian getting blowed up real good by wizard satalite. It's been a minute since I read through the companion where they got added along with Salubri and Tzmisce

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Even in the OG there were some Ravnos survivors -- people who were in torpor at the time, or whose coterie/packmates locked them in a big room until after the karate and Technocracy nukes settled everything out. They were just, basically, a bloodline at that point. I think only in the Gehenna book do they start playing the "and now, EVERY MEMBER OF THIS BLOODLINE (basically) is hosed."

I liked the scenario there when Dr. Netchurch is being a legitimate doctor to an enclave and then a swarm of Malkavians show up outside the walls and shout "DOOOOOOOUGLAAAAAAS come out and PLAAAAY" every night.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It took Ravana to die to make the Ravnos interesting.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Yeah, the "Week" of Nightmares is more of a decade of slowly escalating chaos that started in India and radiated outwards. Zapathasura did take a while to die but there's still streams of its vitae still half-"alive" our there. It royally hosed over the clan and made all the other elders get reeeeally loving interested in the implications it plays into Gehenna.

I mean, look at whay happened to the Tremere. Their HQ fell down and went boom and they couldn't imagine how t—wait, what's that? The surviving Ravnos *could* imagine how to adapt and keep going? And discovered that Gehenna's not so bad once you're on the other side?

So, yeah. The clan as a whole is mostly low potency kids that have gone "YOLO" and are having fun.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Whirling posted:

It's also arguably implied that Zapathustra

A- might not have actually been their antedeluvian, just a powerful Methuselah from whom a huge subset of the clan was descended.

and/or

B- isn't actually dead, since he is Mr Illusions, he may have faked his own death in an over the top and spectacular way and is still out there.

Gotta love crazy old vampires with the power of Deus Ex Machina.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like to think he (or she, or they, who knows) is dead because there was a great pre-gen in the Ravnos Revised book about a Ravnos antitribu whose new mission in unlife was to point out how full of it the Lasombra and Tzimisce are because the Ravnos know what happens when your Antediluvian dies.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Fuzz posted:

It's also arguably implied that Zapathustra

A- might not have actually been their antedeluvian, just a powerful Methuselah from whom a huge subset of the clan was descended.

and/or

B- isn't actually dead, since he is Mr Illusions, he may have faked his own death in an over the top and spectacular way and is still out there.

Gotta love crazy old vampires with the power of Deus Ex Machina.

Pretty sure the text was always just "he ded" and the illusions conspiracies were from the players

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Pretty sure the text was always just "he ded" and the illusions conspiracies were from the players

It gets weird since while, yeah, "he ded" there's also bits mentioned in other books that talk about how shortly after Zapathasura was nuked *something* appeared in the Deadlands to set up its own kingdom of hell.

The implication being that it's ol' Zappy has reincarnated a third time and is chilling in the Underworld.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
isn't that the exact opposite of reincarnation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

isn't that the exact opposite of reincarnation?
Depends how literal you wanna get, appearing as a wraith could qualify as a form of rebirth