Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

life_source posted:

Battuta is the only good thing to touch Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Nimbus (I think the voice filter is a bit too heavy, I get what they were going for but it could have been lessened a tiny bit) but I don't really get the level of ire directed to them lol. Less annoying than the quippy Hive Ghost from last expac.

Hive ghost was based on the existing template of quippy ghost and was thus tolerable and in some ways interesting because of how he contrasted with a non-hive ghost.

Nimbus is an entirely new entry into the series and is some Joss Wheedon / Marvel style cringe. There’s no reason for the cloudstriders to even exist lol, and if there is, the campaign certainly didn’t show it

The more I reflect on the campaign the more I’m disappointed. Can’t believe they did this after Witch Queen lol, they got the B team running destiny now for sure.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nimbus seems a bit unnecessarily..."flamboyant"

pretty much how I picture A Buffer Gay Dude irl

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I will say that - as much as I think LF is okay so far - it definitely feels like…half a witch queen. Makes me wonder if they split LF and Final Shape to ensure that they had two annual releases. Or, maybe, LF feels slight because they’re plowing resources into making Final Shape incredible, but I know what my inner cynic thinks between those two options.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Nimbus is an entirely new entry into the series and is some Joss Wheedon / Marvel style cringe. There’s no reason for the cloudstriders to even exist lol, and if there is, the campaign certainly didn’t show it

It makes sense. They're the city's protectors while the rest of the population uploaded their consciousness to the cloud.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Also I’m very excited for people to read all the wrong reasons into Rohan being less objected to than Nimbus (Rohan is also poorly written but luckily he died early blowing up a maguffin)

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

It makes sense. They're the city's protectors while the rest of the population uploaded their consciousness to the cloud.

The city’s protectors could have been three genetically engineered walruses with feet and it would have also “made sense”

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Majere posted:

Nimbus seems a bit unnecessarily..."flamboyant"

pretty much how I picture A Buffer Gay Dude irl

Nimbus being NB is by far the least objectionable thing about them

Edit: to be clear I mean that part is not objectionable at all

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Then I don't get your problem with them.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

Then I don't get your problem with them.

It’s 2023 and Bungie has made great progress for equality by having a gay grandpa and a NB teen be the main characters in a story and having them suck huge rear end for reasons completely unrelated to sexuality or gender. We made it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They're kinda lame but idk why you're so worked up about it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i think nimbus is fun

idk did yall hate red war cayde-6/failsafe writing this much? because this seems a lot better than that to me, but i didn't hate that much either, so i'm willing to admit i have low standards. go watch some forsaken streams or something and you will understand how much worse this poo poo gets than "occasionally-quippy thembo"

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

They're kinda lame but idk why you're so worked up about it.

Because witch queen was good and this one is very, very bad

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Not gonna lie the idea of a 10 foot tall NB silver god kicking rear end and taking names had me worked up in a good way.

it would have ruled if Nimbus was a well written character in a coherent plot and all the chuds could only get pissed off at the gender stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Because witch queen was good and this one is very, very bad

Cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

idk did yall hate red war cayde-6/failsafe writing this much?

Yeah there’s a reason Forsaken killed Cayde and it was Bungie going “ok we get it you hated red war and the quippiness of everyone so we’re killing king quip and getting serious now”. For them to get back to that this late in the game is an odd choice.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Hive ghost was based on the existing template of quippy ghost and was thus tolerable and in some ways interesting because of how he contrasted with a non-hive ghost.

The more I reflect on the campaign the more I’m disappointed. Can’t believe they did this after Witch Queen lol, they got the B team running destiny now for sure.

This is pretty clearly like the C or D team lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Panderfringe posted:

This is pretty clearly like the C or D team lol

Fair lol

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Golden age people moved to Neptune, uploaded their brains into a darkness(?) powered isekai computer and hid from the rest of humanity. The witness wants to fight the demon king and needs the thing powering the computer. So they get some jobber to do it and idk I'm not all the way finished with the campaign you should just play it and pay attention yourself

I haven't played Destiny since D1 pre-alpha, I don't like the AI and physics downgrade from Halo :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I feel the core of the issue if bungie wanting to have these wildly different settings and tone between expansions to make them stand out on their own while also trying to tell this fairly straightforward story of the encroaching darkness. Unfortunately for them, the cyberpunk neon future silver surfer quippy protectors being introduced at the same time the witness is finally here and loving poo poo up real good after we spent a whole rear end year building up his arrival feels mistimed.

Just based on week 1, I think Lightfall should have focused entirely on Earth’s siege and the Witness attack keeping that desperate fighting impossible odds tone while the Neptune/Neomuna stuff should have been the wild seasonal content that explores the fringes of the system as we go through the year collecting the pieces to properly fight back.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I feel the core of the issue if bungie wanting to have these wildly different settings and tone between expansions to make them stand out on their own while also trying to tell this fairly straightforward story of the encroaching darkness. Unfortunately for them, the cyberpunk neon future silver surfer quippy protectors being introduced at the same time the witness is finally here and loving poo poo up real good after we spent a whole rear end year building up his arrival feels mistimed.

Just based on week 1, I think Lightfall should have focused entirely on Earth’s siege and the Witness attack keeping that desperate fighting impossible odds tone while the Neptune/Neomuna stuff should have been the wild seasonal content that explores the fringes of the system as we go through the year collecting the pieces to properly fight back.

I think this is right - the entire part of the story that involves Neptune feels like barely tied together justification for a new tile set.

They could have introduced Strand in any location, there’s nothing in the narrative that intrinsically ties it to Neptune. I mean, you can imagine ways that they could have gotten there…but they didn’t.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Nimbus's queer identity isn't explored, and has nothing to do with the plot or the narrative. I'm only about 70% through the campaign but I'm not really expecting Nimbus to have a wistful conversation about what it means to be one of the only two people with a body in a city of digital before this is all up. What does gender mean to the average citizen of Neomuna? Does the freedom of sky-surfing represent transcending societal norms, or is it just cop poo poo?

Lightfall definitely seems like a directorial blunder, not exactly a writing one. It's mostly a self-contained television episode that, if it connects to core Destiny narrative/lore, does so by repeating and retreading previous ideas.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I agree. Before Lightfall came out I was hoping the last city got wrecked and thus we had to evacuate everyone to Neomuna. The story would actually have higher stakes, plus the added tension of Terrans and Neomunans adapting to each other.

Roctavian fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 1, 2023

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Low level Cabal having strand shields on like mission 2 and Osiris never even saying something like “ah yes, I have decided to call this fundmental power “strand”, guardian” and instead everyone just calling it “Strand” from the jump is some extremely funny poo poo.

Pretty clear signs of organizational breakdown and getting lost in your own design, love to see it in year 9 of this game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't even get why the city is still around or being upkept when everyone is in the Matrix. I understand the need for some people still existing physically to protect the big server from outside attack but the entire digitization aspect just feels like they wanted to justify why there's no civilians in the city. Could have just said they were all underground in a bunker or something instead. The city just feels like everyone vanished overnight rather than a relic of a bygone age.

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012
Why, why does the NB character have a loving "here's my REAL name" moment, what is this writing??

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Low level Cabal having strand shields on like mission 2 and Osiris never even saying something like “ah yes, I have decided to call this fundmental power “strand”, guardian” and instead everyone just calling it “Strand” from the jump is some extremely funny poo poo.

Pretty clear signs of organizational breakdown and getting lost in your own design, love to see it in year 9 of this game.

Do you actually like games or do you just complain about them all the time?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this game has always had tension between being a shooty game with lofty lore, it's really funny that just now you've decided you want to pick it apart

wasn't the whole deal with strand that they wanted to have it in witch queen and it didn't come together in time? combine that with wanting to cram in another year of story before final shape, and wanting to have a flashy new area because that's what every destiny expansion besides shadowkeep was based around (and look at how that was received), and trying to pull together a bunch of narrative loose ends, and you wind up with this. i think it's basically fine, because this is literally the story of the development of destiny for a decade, and it would be insane to just now get mad about this game being a hodgepodge of lore ideas mashed together with gameplay where the only verb is shoot

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Roctavian posted:

Nimbus's queer identity isn't explored, and has nothing to do with the plot or the narrative. I'm only about 70% through the campaign but I'm not really expecting Nimbus to have a wistful conversation about what it means to be one of the only two people with a body in a city of digital before this is all up. What does gender mean to the average citizen of Neomuna? Does the freedom of sky-surfing represent transcending societal norms, or is it just cop poo poo?

To be fair there are (good and fair) arguments that they shouldn’t HAVE to explore it or that the identity should be able to be explored indirectly almost by dropping Nimbus’ personality into the story in media res and seeing how it plays out.

Unfortunately Bungie’s current writers don’t seem good enough to handle the character under any approach.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

underground in a bunker

Neptune is a gas planet, OP

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also trying to sneak a battleground now before lunch and I can’t tell if the servers are still borked but everything/everyone is taking their tweet time to load.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't even get why the city is still around or being upkept when everyone is in the Matrix. I understand the need for some people still existing physically to protect the big server from outside attack but the entire digitization aspect just feels like they wanted to justify why there's no civilians in the city. Could have just said they were all underground in a bunker or something instead. The city just feels like everyone vanished overnight rather than a relic of a bygone age.

they're on lockdown hoping to return to the real world once the darkness forces are all gone, campaign lore book covers this pretty clearly

what it doesn't cover is what the hell ishtar collective stuff is doing here or what the veil is or why there's an area called "maya's retreat" and i'm excited to find out what the hell thats all about

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you actually like games or do you just complain about them all the time?

I really like Destiny generally and really wish they kept up with what they did for the Witch Queen, which was good. Forsaken and Witch Queen owned and it’s unfortunate they seem incapable of any consistency.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

they're on lockdown hoping to return to the real world once the darkness forces are all gone, campaign lore book covers this pretty clearly

Oh ok, that's fine then. I haven't looked at the supplementary material yet. Usually when societies go digital in media it's meant to be forever so I just assumed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

what it doesn't cover is what the hell ishtar collective stuff is doing here or what the veil is or why there's an area called "maya's retreat" and i'm excited to find out what the hell thats all about

This is weird because the first news cast you hear is specifically drafting everyone into protection / armed defenses.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is weird because the first news cast you hear is specifically drafting everyone into protection / armed defenses.

they do that work from inside the metaverse, which is why all the patrol dialogue is people needing your help doing physical world things. they also have some kinda robot frame type deal for physical stuff but i don't think we see it in game

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh ok, that's fine then. I haven't looked at the supplementary material yet. Usually when societies go digital in media it's meant to be forever so I just assumed.

It’s not fine lol

I mean it’s a fine explanation but it’s not fine you have to dig around in a lore book to get it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i do think the one big narrative whiff - i'm not spoiling this since i feel like it's almost good to know going in - is not explaining the veil in the campaign. it seems like they really want to keep that mystery for season stuff (postgame seems to staaaart to touch on it but i would be really surprised if its like, explaining in the raid lore book or something). destiny is a game of wack macguffins but i feel like this is one too far

otoh

I mean it’s a fine explanation but it’s not fine you have to dig around in a lore book to get it

i've been playing this poo poo for nine years man im just glad i dont have to open a phone app anymore

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

tormentor grab is cool, I like the part where it instantly killed me with no way for me to counter it

I really didn't wanna but I think im gonna knock the campaign down to normal, legendary just feels like a smorgasboard of bullshit deaths and having to play like a coward against redbars

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

abraham linksys posted:

i do think the one big narrative whiff - i'm not spoiling this since i feel like it's almost good to know going in - is not explaining the veil in the campaign. it seems like they really want to keep that mystery for season stuff (postgame seems to staaaart to touch on it but i would be really surprised if its like, explaining in the raid lore book or something). destiny is a game of wack macguffins but i feel like this is one too far

otoh

i've been playing this poo poo for nine years man im just glad i dont have to open a phone app anymore

What about explaining the mast or whatever the other maguffin was? Lol

I’m sure it made sense in the design docs and maybe we’ll figure some stuff out in the post game but holy poo poo there are ways to handle not explaining things that work and Bungie did NOT use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

To be fair there are (good and fair) arguments that they shouldn’t HAVE to explore it or that the identity should be able to be explored indirectly almost by dropping Nimbus’ personality into the story in media res and seeing how it plays out.

Unfortunately Bungie’s current writers don’t seem good enough to handle the character under any approach.

Yeah I get those arguments & also the writing of Nimbus has some really important things right -- they're happy to be who they are, they're kind and helpful, etc.

It's more noticing that there's things within the setting that the story could be about, but instead it is about nothing.