Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is there are a way to upgrade blessing level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

.Z. posted:

That sounds like something a heretic would say.

I just realized that the Blaze Away blessing gives you a literal tunnel vision visual effect as it stacks that obscures the edges of the screen

e:
Does anyone else have any of these curios where the numbers don't add up and they give more rating than they should?

The one on the left is somehow getting 130 from 70+50, or here's one that gets 99 from 69+25:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 28, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

They're just kind of weird like that, not sure what causes it.

Also if those are your Ogryn curios I'd recommend trying to go all in on Health instead, it's pretty legit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Came back to check out the new patch and still crashing regularly. Any new tips and tricks to try?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I crash pretty much every time i connect so id appreciate advice as well

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Internet Explorer posted:

Came back to check out the new patch and still crashing regularly. Any new tips and tricks to try?

Someone fixed issues by uninstalling razor cortex - if you have that maybe try removing it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No Razer Cortex I'm afraid. I do have Corsair's iCue, guess I could try removing that to see if it helps.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

At this point you might want to just join the official discord and see if anyone else in their tech support channels have any similar issues or just report the issue itself as it seems like a huge thing that hasn't been solved yet.

Are y'all playing the steam or Gamepass version? What type of crashes are you getting? There was a hotfix earlier today that apparently solved a fairly large issue causing performance problems.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Setting RTX to Low has seemed to do the trick for me. It's a drat shame.. Medium or High and I crash every time I load in to a map.

What's the build to survive as a psyker now? The jump from difficulty 3 to 4/5 feels nuts with how much damage I take from literally everything.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DONT DO IT posted:

Setting RTX to Low has seemed to do the trick for me. It's a drat shame.. Medium or High and I crash every time I load in to a map.

I'll try that, thanks.

Evil Kit posted:

At this point you might want to just join the official discord and see if anyone else in their tech support channels have any similar issues or just report the issue itself as it seems like a huge thing that hasn't been solved yet.

Are y'all playing the steam or Gamepass version? What type of crashes are you getting? There was a hotfix earlier today that apparently solved a fairly large issue causing performance problems.

Steam, RTX 3090, AMD 5800X, 3840x1600, Steam/Discord/GeForce Experience overlays off, latest graphics drivers. Graphics preset set to High with motion blur disabled.

Looks like there's a recent post by their community staff on their tech forums, suggestion to try the experimental build.
https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/known-issue-crashing-at-random-due-to-gpu-related-errors-experimental-build-instructions/76048

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

On steam it's always best to verify the integrity of the game files after every patch on steam.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'll try that, thanks.

Steam, RTX 3090, AMD 5800X, 3840x1600, Steam/Discord/GeForce Experience overlays off, latest graphics drivers. Graphics preset set to High with motion blur disabled.

Looks like there's a recent post by their community staff on their tech forums, suggestion to try the experimental build.
https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/known-issue-crashing-at-random-due-to-gpu-related-errors-experimental-build-instructions/76048

It's fascinating a lot of the higher end gpu/cpus are what generally have issues. I'd try out the experimental build and see if that helps.

Some basics, which you may or may not have already tried:

In the launch window that pops up before you get into the game proper, make sure your Worker Threads in the settings menu are equal to the number of actual physical cores your CPU has.

Turn off any ray tracing, potentially any DLSS or the equivalent for AMD.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

DONT DO IT posted:

What's the build to survive as a psyker now? The jump from difficulty 3 to 4/5 feels nuts with how much damage I take from literally everything.

The trick is don't get hit, or be in a place where you're gonna get hit.

No, really. You're basically the worst equipped class to deal with getting surrounded in melee. Stick with the group so you can have a better chance someone is watching your back and use line of sight blockers to make sure you don't get lit up by packs of shooters.

Pre-charge your staves around corners to minimize ranged damage, and if you're brain bursting only pop out for a moment to select a target before getting back into cover asap. While you're brain bursting check your back, you don't need to look at the target once you've got a lock after all. Depending on the stave you're using you'll have a particular range of engagement, try to let enemies enter your range instead of going to them.

The thing that will save your life the most is just having your head on a swivel for a group of melee dudes hitting you in the back, you will go down fast if you get snuck up on.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DONT DO IT posted:

Every time I join a diff 4 quick play there's at least 1 person waiting on rescue and at least two people below level 20 busily attempting to die alone so I suggest just accepting that you're not going to be doing difficulties higher than 3 without playing with people you know on comms

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

The trick is don't get hit, or be in a place where you're gonna get hit.

No, really. You're basically the worst equipped class to deal with getting surrounded in melee. Stick with the group so you can have a better chance someone is watching your back and use line of sight blockers to make sure you don't get lit up by packs of shooters.

Pre-charge your staves around corners to minimize ranged damage, and if you're brain bursting only pop out for a moment to select a target before getting back into cover asap. While you're brain bursting check your back, you don't need to look at the target once you've got a lock after all. Depending on the stave you're using you'll have a particular range of engagement, try to let enemies enter your range instead of going to them.

The thing that will save your life the most is just having your head on a swivel for a group of melee dudes hitting you in the back, you will go down fast if you get snuck up on.

Also, get a deflection sword and use the perils as block talent.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NeurosisHead posted:

Every time I join a diff 4 quick play there's at least 1 person waiting on rescue and at least two people below level 20 busily attempting to die alone so I suggest just accepting that you're not going to be doing difficulties higher than 3 without playing with people you know on comms

Just play 5s. Every pub 5 I've played recently (aprox. 3-4 of them) has been with pubs that know what they're doing and move together as a unit.

Basically any competent pubs are gonna be playing 5s now for that sweet sweet plasteel and, y'know, an actual challenge.

apostateCourier posted:

Also, get a deflection sword and use the perils as block talent.

I actually really like the dueling swords as well, and that feat is worth it just so you can actually block for extended periods like when reviving. Deflector is real good tho for ignoring shooters.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've played probably 10 level 4 matches in the past 24 hours or so since I've been back and they've all been fine. My buddy who is playing on Gamepass made the same complaint, so maybe there's some difference in the types of players on Steam vs. Gamepass.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I've played probably 10 level 4 matches in the past 24 hours or so since I've been back and they've all been fine. My buddy who is playing on Gamepass made the same complaint, so maybe there's some difference in the types of players on Steam vs. Gamepass.

I'm on Steam, but that's just sort of the nature of multiplayer coop in general. As long as the game is getting newer players there's going to be people learning their limits.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve barely had any issues with pubs on 4. they’re mostly very competent.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

:pubstove: is eternal and transcends games.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Play damnation instead of heresy. All the good gamers moved up to 5 to get mats, theres been shockingly few bozos

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
I've had a few difficulty 4 rounds go smoothly, then many others where I'm dying so much I feel like a boat anchor dragging the team down, and many many others where the round falls apart in minutes because the zealot is a hallway hero / bot. I latch onto teammates like a tick and still often go down first. I will admit to occasionally tunneling hard while launching void bombs into hordes... Toughness from warp kills should protect me, right?? Is it me?? Am I the pub?? I hoped it was a build but it sounds like I need to work on situational awareness. I may try a few quickplay on 5 and see how those go.

Didn't the big deflection build just get nerfed to oblivion?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Psyker is hard mode because you're very hosed if you mess up even a little bit - so you likely aren't 100% to blame, but working on positioning is something that should reduce the amount of downs/damage taken. Sticking to teammates is good but it doesn't save you from taking damage, you still have to manage the enemies around you.

You should probably also pick Quell peril toughness gain instead of the warp kills one. I've never found the warp kills one to be useful, its like the ultimate "win more" talent- i was invincible as i was mulching enemies but the moment I actually NEEDED toughness because I was in trouble its hard to get it on demand (because you're in trouble!!)

Where as with peril quell you can ulti for a quick infusion of toughness, or just gain it while doing your normal combat actions anyways.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jerkface posted:

You should probably also pick Quell peril toughness gain instead of the warp kills one. I've never found the warp kills one to be useful, its like the ultimate "win more" talent- i was invincible as i was mulching enemies but the moment I actually NEEDED toughness because I was in trouble its hard to get it on demand (because you're in trouble!!)

This was a big one for me. The voidstrike staff will leave a meter wide carpet of corpses in a horde, which makes those talents seem really attractive. The thing is, when you're doing that you're not at any risk of getting hit, and you're not losing toughness to anything so you're not actually gaining anything from all of those warp kills.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Turn off RTX completely. 3090 as well and nothing but crashes with it enabled.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's annoying. It's so much prettier with ray tracing turned on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, their RTX implementation is apparently mega hosed.

I've got a 2080 and could play with mild RTX in the beta, but had to turn it off after the first post-launch patch because I was crashing all the time. No RTX? No problem. Somehow whatever they did also made it just chug like rear end to boot. I know a 2080 isn't exactly top of the line for RTX, but I was getting an acceptable 45 FPS with it on in the beta and then, when it wasn't crashing, in the high teens after that one patch.

Meanwhile people I know with 3070s and 3080s have massive stability problems unless they turn it off.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Does toughness gain on quell also apply to your special ability? Or just holding R with a staff/force sword equipped?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Does toughness gain on quell also apply to your special ability? Or just holding R with a staff/force sword equipped?

Any time you lose peril, you gain toughness. So yes, your ult, passive peril loss, or active quelling.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ogryn buddies: i want to try out cleavers since i'm a little bored of my power stick. which cleaver model is the go-to? i haven't memorized the attack patterns

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

I've had great luck with them but I also play late at night when there aren't enough players to dump me into a match in progress, so I always end up with a group of 3+ that start together

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

ogryn buddies: i want to try out cleavers since i'm a little bored of my power stick. which cleaver model is the go-to? i haven't memorized the attack patterns

I forget the name but it's the one where the blade looks more like a butcher's cleaver/bread knife than a regular "knife"

e: this one:
Bull Butcher Mk III Cleaver

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 1, 2023

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Bull Butcher MK III is the standard by which all other cleavers are judged. You just spam left clicks and rip through hordes in an alarming manner. The heavies are good for staggering, but are an overall damage loss outside of hitting a breakpoint to one tap somebody running at you. The other MKs have some awkward stabs in their attack patterns. They were buffed this patch, but I don't think they beat the MK III.

Watch out for carapace armor. Cleavers do pretty poorly against it as opposed to the maul where you can animation cancel the charge strike to bully enemy Ogryn. I like pairing the Butcher with a Grenade Gaunlet to cover all bases.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
bull butcher is objectively best but ive been liking the krourk mk6, it swings slower and has a stab but the heavies are both wide sweeps and so timing the stacks from the new ogryn trait is more reliable since you know your heavy is always going to be a mob clearer

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’ve barely had any issues with pubs on 4. they’re mostly very competent.

anecdotal evidence but I find my own experience 5 over 4 much better in terms of people knowing what they have to do. Ofc there are problems as well but not as frequent and it doesn't seem much harder unless it's event based hounds/dark/hi intensity. Also a lot of people using 4 for leveling so you end up with a bunch of lvl21 players having lovely gear and missing relevant talents.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
What level should you be jumping to 3 from 4?

In my head it seems like mid 20s makes sense in a game progression kind of way but I’m not super familiar with any of the tide endgames.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Richard Bong posted:

In my head it seems like mid 20s makes sense in a game progression kind of way but I’m not super familiar with any of the tide endgames.

As long as you have your toughness regen perk you can play Heresy, so level 5 - but its up to your own comfort level with the class you're playing. I was doing normal and low intensity heresy on my zealot by level 8 because I wasn't having any issues at all in malice. I think I waited for 17 or so on my psyker because I couldn't get any staves from the shop (this was around launch). Ogryn I dabbled in heresy from level 5 on because I got a shield early from the shop.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Richard Bong posted:

25 felt like the sweet spot for me; you've got nearly all your feats, your weapon stats should be around the 350-400 range, and pubbies were less inclined to complain or drop out at seeing a number less than 30.

With a group of friends, you can go as early as 10-15 as long as you don't mind that your weapons feel like your swinging a cardboard tube.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If I saw someone below level 10 when joining Heresy I would leave but that could just be a me thing.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

If you know how to play, you can hang in Heresy with your level 5 perk. Good play is more important than raw stats, but you really want that toughness regen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ChickenHeart posted:

25 felt like the sweet spot for me; you've got nearly all your feats, your weapon stats should be around the 350-400 range, and pubbies were less inclined to complain or drop out at seeing a number less than 30.

With a group of friends, you can go as early as 10-15 as long as you don't mind that your weapons feel like your swinging a cardboard tube.

Yea 20-25 is probably the sweet spot if you're not sure how good you are at the game / don't want to endure pubbie slander.

Kaddish posted:

If I saw someone below level 10 when joining Heresy I would leave but that could just be a me thing.

that level 10 probably sucks but im built different