Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

kalel posted:

looking for some versatile artists who draw from a diverse range of sounds, and switch genres frequently. the kind of songwriter who you can't believe wrote both A and B. the kind who would sandwich a ukulele ditty in between a breakcore rap and a symphonic metal anthem on the same album. I would assume this kind of artist would be categorized under "prog" or "indie" but I'm open to musicians from any source. thanks

Bill Laswell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kalel posted:

looking for some versatile artists who draw from a diverse range of sounds, and switch genres frequently. the kind of songwriter who you can't believe wrote both A and B. the kind who would sandwich a ukulele ditty in between a breakcore rap and a symphonic metal anthem on the same album. I would assume this kind of artist would be categorized under "prog" or "indie" but I'm open to musicians from any source. thanks

Someone’s going to recommend king gizzard. But I won’t. I will recommend Flowers of Disgust.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

kalel posted:

i won't be listening to find out but i hear that's pretty much ween's deal.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hooplah posted:

Yeah, Ween could be good depending on whether or not you want the music to be normal.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Igorrr will do this 10x in one song.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

kalel posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shoeberto posted:

I'm looking for new bands to check out. Something in the general sound and lyrical style as Brand New, Jimmy Eat World or The Wonder Years.

Musically, I'd say I want something sorta melodic pop-punk-ish, a bit melancholic, and with lyrics that actually sound like they were written by someone over the age of 25. Bonus points if I can buy their stuff on Bandcamp.

Jawbreaker

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

shoeberto posted:

I'm looking for new bands to check out. Something in the general sound and lyrical style as Brand New, Jimmy Eat World or The Wonder Years.

Musically, I'd say I want something sorta melodic pop-punk-ish, a bit melancholic, and with lyrics that actually sound like they were written by someone over the age of 25. Bonus points if I can buy their stuff on Bandcamp.

i don't know of any current year bands doing this stuff, so go back to the heyday and listen to cursive and sunny day real estate. and yeah jawbreaker is a good one too

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

shoeberto posted:

Joyce Manor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wx83j9AYn0

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

kalel posted:

there's bands that do this the main problem is that they're almost all bad

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hooplah posted:

Definitely this. Ween is like getting a mixtape of diverse indie music from your weird cool friend in high school (for fellow olds who remember making and getting mixtapes). Start with Chocolate and Cheese.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Belated thanks for the replies about Super Furry Animals. I have a whole post I've been meaning to write up about them but suffice to say, their albums were not at all what I expected based on my sole experience. For fun, I encourage all SFA fans to first listen to FC Kahuna - Hayling (first two minutes will do, it's a nice enough lyrical EDM song but two minutes gives you the entire vibe) and then listen to the SFA "Dunk Dunk Dunk" remix of Hayling all the way through. That's what I expected from their studio work and it's pretty, pretty different. No fault of y'all's of course. FC Kahuna must have loved that remix as well as he put it on the studio album and all the other remixes were relegated to the single.

On another note: is there a genre name for stuff like The Handsome Family, Johnny Cash, that style of music? Like old school country, or actual Western and not "Country / Western" pop? And what are some other artists in that style, and is there a Sirius XM channel for it? Thanks!

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 28, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Those two are pretty different.

Outlaw country (for stuff like Cash, Waylon, Willie, etc.) Willie's Roadhouse is the XM channel for it.

Handsome Family would probably fall under alternative country, which I dont think has its own channel.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Those two are pretty different.

Outlaw country (for stuff like Cash, Waylon, Willie, etc.) Willie's Roadhouse is the XM channel for it.

Handsome Family would probably fall under alternative country, which I dont think has its own channel.

There’s outlaw country and Willie’s roadhouse. 2 different channels. There is an alt country channel, but I’ve never listened to it. It’s called Y’alternative, which is most of the reason why.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

regulargonzalez posted:

On another note: is there a genre name for stuff like The Handsome Family, Johnny Cash, that style of music? Like old school country, or actual Western and not "Country / Western" pop? And what are some other artists in that style, and is there a Sirius XM channel for it? Thanks!

Swing by the Alt Country thread in NMD.

Handsome Family sounds pretty alt, but definitely has some western sound. More of a traditional country sound than the rock side of alt. Maybe the Old 97s? Some Calexico. Jim White, Townes Van Zandt. Slim Cessna if you want weird dark gothic but still firmly country sounds.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Does anyone have good recommendations for more stuff like IRIS: A Space Opera by Justice? There are live EDM sets on YouTube but they're usually mixed terribly and aren't nearly as visually striking.

Stuff like that is probably pretty rare because of how expensive it is (I read the audio was recorded in the venue a second time without an audience to get it to sound as good as it does) but I'm hoping there's more out there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

KillHour posted:

Does anyone have good recommendations for more stuff like IRIS: A Space Opera by Justice? There are live EDM sets on YouTube but they're usually mixed terribly and aren't nearly as visually striking.

Stuff like that is probably pretty rare because of how expensive it is (I read the audio was recorded in the venue a second time without an audience to get it to sound as good as it does) but I'm hoping there's more out there.

Amon Tobin's ISAM

There's at least one official live film. It's a different kind of edm, but the visuals look amazing.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I'm looking for music that has a similar vibe to these tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFtRXatjj1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZ0SHY3Ya8

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

for fucks sake posted:

I'm looking for music that has a similar vibe to these tracks.

regarding the first one, my knowledge of this type of stuff is pretty outdated, but i feel like this was a pretty popular kinda sound back in the early 00s - prog metal, kinda? funny coming from a band that apparently used to do black metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwS1TK0zVL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkNSLFb1e-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTUJkyFbLk

regarding the second, that sounds a lot like deafheaven to me

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

First I've heard of Vaura. Listened to the album that song's from and it's great, thanks for the recommendation!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Anyone have any recommendations for artists from the last 20 or so years inspired by or with elements of the Rock in Opposition movement of the 70s/80s?

my one example of what i mean is the band sleepytime gorilla museum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7GlyUBb6Lw

i realized recently that like 15 years ago i discovered all the "avant" (whatever) bands i liked that were current then, and i've been listening to them since, but have really only found good new experimental stuff in the same vein by following those artists to their other projects. Guys like Charlie Looker, Toby Driver, and Chuck Stern. i'm thinking there's gotta be more artists doing weird music out there but it's so off my radar I'll never hear of it. So i guess I'm saying RIO-influenced bands would be ideal, but really anything "experimental rock"-adjacent is fine if it reminds you of extra life/sgm/time of orchids/maudlin of the well/kayo dot

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Check out Igorrr, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Unexpect. If you're OK with stuff that's more clearly metal, there's a lot in the post-black metal scene but it's been a while since I paid much attention to that so I can't make a lot of recommendations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hooplah posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for artists from the last 20 or so years inspired by or with elements of the Rock in Opposition movement of the 70s/80s?

i realized recently that like 15 years ago i discovered all the "avant" (whatever) bands i liked that were current then, and i've been listening to them since, but have really only found good new experimental stuff in the same vein by following those artists to their other projects. Guys like Charlie Looker, Toby Driver, and Chuck Stern. i'm thinking there's gotta be more artists doing weird music out there but it's so off my radar I'll never hear of it. So i guess I'm saying RIO-influenced bands would be ideal, but really anything "experimental rock"-adjacent is fine if it reminds you of extra life/sgm/time of orchids/maudlin of the well/kayo dot

Tough to think of specifically RIO influenced bands but I would recommend looking into the I, Voidhanger Records catalog for all your bizarro metal needs.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Looking for music in the vein of Delirium and Deep Forest -- kind of world music crossed with EDM.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Looking for music in the vein of Delirium and Deep Forest -- kind of world music crossed with EDM.

Beats Antique

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hooplah posted:

Horse Lords are cool and are definitely influenced by that kind of stuff(as well as krautrock) even though they sound fairly distinct. also, not very recent but you might try the Russian band ZGA, they started off in the late 80s doing industrial sort of stuff but they did some records in the 90s that overlap somewhat soundwise with RIOish prog. they're not very well known outside of Russia but they're very good, Chris Cutler(of Henry Cow) released a couple of their albums on his label. it's been a while since i listened to them but iirc the most RIO of their albums are The Flight of Infection and Kinderalbum. incidentally there is a bunch of largely unlistened to weird prog adjacent stuff from the former ussr, a lot of which is soundwise not too far from RIO although it obviously lacks the ideological component. ukraine in particular had a really interesting scene of these kinds of bands in the early 90s, although i don't think most of them are active any more. but it's an interesting scene to look into if you have heard all of the more usual weird prog stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There’s an Italian band called ZU that is in that direction. I think I saw them open for sleepytime gorillia museum actually. Haven’t listened to the albums but it’s in that avant-prog zone.

There’s a Philly band called Need New Body. Not sure if they’re still around, but you might like them. Kind of danceable but a lot of junk percussion and noise. Not amazing but ok.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

BigFactory posted:

There’s an Italian band called ZU that is in that direction. I think I saw them open for sleepytime gorillia museum actually. Haven’t listened to the albums but it’s in that avant-prog zone.

There’s a Philly band called Need New Body. Not sure if they’re still around, but you might like them. Kind of danceable but a lot of junk percussion and noise. Not amazing but ok.

Zu rules, I've listened to their first album carboniferous a bunch. also very jealous you got to see sgm live. from their scant live vids on yt they obviously put on a good show. i'll check out need new body, thanks. i do like some of those goofy noise bands

A human heart posted:

Horse Lords are cool and are definitely influenced by that kind of stuff(as well as krautrock) even though they sound fairly distinct. also, not very recent but you might try the Russian band ZGA, they started off in the late 80s doing industrial sort of stuff but they did some records in the 90s that overlap somewhat soundwise with RIOish prog. they're not very well known outside of Russia but they're very good, Chris Cutler(of Henry Cow) released a couple of their albums on his label. it's been a while since i listened to them but iirc the most RIO of their albums are The Flight of Infection and Kinderalbum. incidentally there is a bunch of largely unlistened to weird prog adjacent stuff from the former ussr, a lot of which is soundwise not too far from RIO although it obviously lacks the ideological component. ukraine in particular had a really interesting scene of these kinds of bands in the early 90s, although i don't think most of them are active any more. but it's an interesting scene to look into if you have heard all of the more usual weird prog stuff.

holy poo poo, i know i'll like horse lords based on just their related artists on last.fm alone. this is a hell of a top 6.

also you're reminding me that the band usssy exists. i havent thought of them in years and it looks like they've been prolific. i'm liking what i'm hearing so far from their new stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJftIEA4KM

if you have any specific bands in mind from the scene you're talking about i'm all ears. zga seems pretty cool, esp. given the henry cow connection.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tough to think of specifically RIO influenced bands but I would recommend looking into the I, Voidhanger Records catalog for all your bizarro metal needs.

i'm not much of a metal guy so i havent heard of any of their bands, but certainly a lot to check out

ultrafilter posted:

Check out Igorrr, Diablo Swing Orchestra and Unexpect. If you're OK with stuff that's more clearly metal, there's a lot in the post-black metal scene but it's been a while since I paid much attention to that so I can't make a lot of recommendations.

yeah, dunno if i can get into any of these... do they maybe have roots in symphonic metal? i don't know how to describe it, but they all remind me a bit too much of mike patton, and i really don't like his music.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hooplah posted:

if you have any specific bands in mind from the scene you're talking about i'm all ears. zga seems pretty cool, esp. given the henry cow connection.

Коллежский асессор are probably likely to have the most appeal to an RIO fan, they're also one of the longest running and imo best of that scene, very unusual song structures. i learned about all that stuff mostly from this rym list which is a useful guide. Казма-Казма are the other band from this scene that i like the best, they started off as sort of weird post punk with folk influences and ended up morphing into basically chamber folk. note that to listen to most of this stuff you'll have to use slsk or something similar since very few of these bands ever officially released anything outside of cassettes in ukraine in the early 90s. but it's all floating around online.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
I'm looking for songs with a similar vibe to this Gorillaz track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mfKJWDSzI

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Anyone know of something else like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDY_shRtEo

Love this band but I think they've dissolved or something. I guess I like my music to sound like somebody having a nervous breakdown.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Laurenz posted:

I'm looking for songs with a similar vibe to this Gorillaz track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mfKJWDSzI

Some Royksopp, like this one. They're a bit more loungy and EDM but a lot of their music is pretty languid and melancholy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yklKIPb38PE

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im looking for more current bands like All Them Witches. heavy blues-infused hard rock/metal with a bit of twang, weird and spiritual lyrics, and excellent musicianship. especially their most recent album where they stripped down to bass/guitar/drums trio.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Earwicker posted:

im looking for more current bands like All Them Witches. heavy blues-infused hard rock/metal with a bit of twang, weird and spiritual lyrics, and excellent musicianship. especially their most recent album where they stripped down to bass/guitar/drums trio.

Somebody just posted this in the Stoner/Doom thread: https://childtheband.bandcamp.com/album/soul-murder
I like Five Horse Johnson, Kamchatka, King Hobo, The Devil and the Almighty Blues, Stoned Jesus, and recent Clutch (sort of).

The problem with All Them Witches, is nobody sounds like them. There's blues rock, there's Sabbath worship, there's stoner, but those dudes have their own sound in a way I've never been able to find anywhere else. Every time I go down the road of bluesy hard stuff like them I end up in hard dad blues which I don't have any interest in or stoner rock which I have plenty of. Hard boogies and shuffles are fun, but their kind of avant psych approach to blues is something I can't find anything really close to.

Another band that gets associated with them a lot is King Buffalo. But they aren't bluesy, they're more progressive heavy psych. Really really good poo poo, and the most recent three albums are especially good. Always worth an exploration but not really what you're asking for.

Wovenhand checks off your heavy, hard rock, weird, spiritual, and musicianship boxes. Their catalog gets progressively heavier chronologically.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 7, 2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Earwicker posted:

Young Widows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btmSpLVmJAk

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Jeremor posted:

Anyone know of something else like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDY_shRtEo

Love this band but I think they've dissolved or something. I guess I like my music to sound like somebody having a nervous breakdown.

Uranium Club are so loving good and you are the only person on the internet I have ever seen even mention this album. Such a bizarre, compelling piece of music.

You might like the even-more-short-lived Toyota. Same frantic, nerdy avant-punk kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY7PSGcDpYE

C.C.T.V. were pretty incredible too. Fast as hell, super precise and more hooks than a bait and tackle shop. First track makes me want to run through a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TMnVCFxduc

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

prayer group posted:

Uranium Club are so loving good and you are the only person on the internet I have ever seen even mention this album. Such a bizarre, compelling piece of music.

You might like the even-more-short-lived Toyota. Same frantic, nerdy avant-punk kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY7PSGcDpYE

C.C.T.V. were pretty incredible too. Fast as hell, super precise and more hooks than a bait and tackle shop. First track makes me want to run through a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TMnVCFxduc

Right on dude, I can't believe uranium club didn't explode. So talented and different. Thanks for the rec's I'm digging it

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Earwicker posted:

Dunno if they'll sound very similar, but Jess and the Ancient Ones are great and you might get something out of them. Their debut album is pretty straightforward, then they mostly get weirder and more psychedelic from there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBmnwXZaAFw

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Looking for techno in the 160-165-ish bpm range like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVjRlQJwDqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Somebody just posted this in the Stoner/Doom thread: https://childtheband.bandcamp.com/album/soul-murder
I like Five Horse Johnson, Kamchatka, King Hobo, The Devil and the Almighty Blues, Stoned Jesus, and recent Clutch (sort of).

The problem with All Them Witches, is nobody sounds like them. There's blues rock, there's Sabbath worship, there's stoner, but those dudes have their own sound in a way I've never been able to find anywhere else. Every time I go down the road of bluesy hard stuff like them I end up in hard dad blues which I don't have any interest in or stoner rock which I have plenty of. Hard boogies and shuffles are fun, but their kind of avant psych approach to blues is something I can't find anything really close to.

Another band that gets associated with them a lot is King Buffalo. But they aren't bluesy, they're more progressive heavy psych. Really really good poo poo, and the most recent three albums are especially good. Always worth an exploration but not really what you're asking for.

Wovenhand checks off your heavy, hard rock, weird, spiritual, and musicianship boxes. Their catalog gets progressively heavier chronologically.

Feels like I'm on a never ending quest to find something that hits me like ATW do, but thanks for the Wovenhand rec, that poo poo is dope.