Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Roctavian posted:

Yeah I get those arguments & also the writing of Nimbus has some really important things right -- they're happy to be who they are, they're kind and helpful, etc.

It's more noticing that there's things within the setting that the story could be about, but instead it is about nothing.

I’m picturing Bungie trying to write a NB character struggling with their identity and I’m making some faces for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

they do that work from inside the metaverse, which is why all the patrol dialogue is people needing your help doing physical world things. they also have some kinda robot frame type deal for physical stuff but i don't think we see it in game

A sort of...War Frame?

In Destiny????

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

3DBlast posted:

Why, why does the NB character have a loving "here's my REAL name" moment, what is this writing??

fwiw you're reading too much into the name "reveal" for nimbus, given that the other cloudstriders that are talked about in the post-campaign quests also get referred to by an alias and a real name. can see why it comes off as weird but it's not someone being like "hey heres my deadname" lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you actually like games or do you just complain about them all the time?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/258262904091058176?s=20

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

abraham linksys posted:

but it's not someone being like "hey heres my deadname" lol

Yeah but that’s 100% what they were going for and it’s handled with all the grace of a 10 year old driving a stick shift automobile

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'm playing through the campaign and my only complaint is that I'm not oneshot by enemy spawn dodecahedrons more often. Other than that I'm having a good time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Has there always been a red circle indicating where drop pods are going to land or is it a new thing for the expansion?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Has there always been a red circle indicating where drop pods are going to land or is it a new thing for the expansion?

I think it's new, not that it's saved me any deaths

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Roctavian posted:

I agree. Before Lightfall came out I was hoping the last city got wrecked and thus we had to evacuate everyone to Neomuna. The story would actually have higher stakes, plus the added tension of Terrans and Neomunans adapting to each other.

that would have been work, though.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I like the expansion so far but nimbus took me completely out of the game, seriously they are failsafe/cayde levels of terrible where every piece of dialogue is just bad, it’s not the VA, it’s just bad dialogue. It also wouldn’t be that bad if they weren’t your rep vendor and talked every time you zone in or finish a mission. I never had a problem with Finch though.

It also suffers the Halo 2/Mass Effect 3 problem of going here is the big bad attacking home, now leave and go do side quests. I follow destiny lore kinda in that I know who the big players are but everyone talking nebulously about the veil and mast is like some d-grade writing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Honestly surprised that many people listen to the story enough to get mad at it. Very little of Destiny's story has ever been worth pausing a podcast for.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like Cities more than Swamps so I enjoy walking around neomuna more than I enjoyed walking around throne world

I wonder if year 6 will bring us back to Throne World or Neomuna at all

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i assume we're gonna get a season activity or two on the throne world. heck, might even be this season, given there's a pyramid there already (might be edz/moon/europa/throne world?)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

General Battuta posted:

Someone tell me what happens in this one in a reasonably factual manner so that I know for future lore, tia

Oh thank gently caress you're here, save this game with good writing again

life_source posted:

Battuta is the only good thing to touch Destiny.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
General Battute you have to save xivu arath, hurry! Bungie is writing her dialog for her RIGHT now they don't know what they're doing

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I think the big issue is that - for Destiny - the WQ campaign writing was actually well done with a good antagonist. It was also very structurally coherent; the first mission sets up the premise (Savathun "stole" the Light and empowered the Hive with it) and pretty much every plot point for the entire campaign after that is answering questions - how did she do it, why did she do it, what's she going to do with it, how do we stop her? By the end of that campaign you have a very comprehensive understanding of Savathun, end up killing her in a very thematically appropriate way (throw the queen of lies and deceit off-balance by showing her she was lied to and deceived), and just enough information on the Witness to know it's very bad news.

Lightfall's campaign, to it's significant detriment, has been more like all the other Destiny campaigns and this stands out even worse this time because now we know they can do better, they just didn't. If I'm being honest it's giving me exactly the same vibes of going from Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3 where a lot of careful plot work was thrown out to introduce a never-explained macguffin that will somehow Solve Everything and if you were around for the original ME3 release you know how that ended up going over. If you weren't - not well!

It honestly makes me a little bit concerned that they're going to drop the ball on closing out this saga in Final Shape. That won't, like, ruin the game or anything because at the end of the day something like 1% of what I play Destiny for is the rich lore of their epic space opera, but it will be a bummer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After the highs of build crafting and power fantasy from the last seasons to land on whatever is going on now feels bad. But hey Dawnblade is currently broken as hell and fun so I can use that until they patch it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did Nimbus just have a Reverse Coming Out moment and tell me their REAL name?

Good god

Bungie either doesn't have any trans folk involved in the creative process or their contributions went through too many layers of Review and ended up totally missing the point ahahaa. That scene was genuine TW tier stuff

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Almost done with leg campaign, feels way too shooty for space magic looter shooter so far. If it's gonna be this way for a while I may take a drat break and go play an actual shootymans game again because this is rear end and again the only good part is the bungie movement code again.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
This is a legit question because I guess I missed it but where is Nimbus being NB. All I really know about the cloudstriders are there are two of them and they have a lifespan around 10 years.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did Nimbus just have a Reverse Coming Out moment and tell me their REAL name?

Good god

Bungie either doesn't have any trans folk involved in the creative process or their contributions went through too many layers of Review and ended up totally missing the point ahahaa. That scene was genuine TW tier stuff

So far I like nimbus in the pre-rendered cutscenes as they seem super sincerely written, but the rest of the time you hear/interact is just painful. Idk, maybe if the line delivery was different? Then again I'm not done with the campaign so I'm probably way behind on what's coming up

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Weebly posted:

This is a legit question because I guess I missed it but where is Nimbus being NB. All I really know about the cloudstriders are there are two of them and they have a lifespan around 10 years.

Bungie Twitter

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PathAsc posted:

Bungie Twitter

Ohhhhhh

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i want a Nimbus/Drifter romance arc

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah, I hate that they refuse to just use their GODDAMNED WEBSITE or anything in game at times, the info being spread over 3 Twitter accounts and a reddit page, sometimes through Paul loving Tassi lol, it's just so dumb. I don't understand it at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you don't kill the Dark Witness Pyramid Man because of bullshit about how Guardians Make Their Own Fate then farting him off a cliff with a rocket launcher or the tractor cannon what was even the point

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lib and let die posted:

i want a Nimbus/Drifter romance arc

Honestly, Drifter/Eris/Nimbus throuple would rule and they can teach pro gambit strats and hive magic and hell yes silver surfy turns green and mean. Do it bungie.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PathAsc posted:

Yeah, I hate that they refuse to just use their GODDAMNED WEBSITE or anything in game at times, the info being spread over 3 Twitter accounts and a reddit page, sometimes through Paul loving Tassi lol, it's just so dumb. I don't understand it at all.

They could simply make a fourth account, that is intended to replace the existing three

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PathAsc posted:

Honestly, Drifter/Eris/Nimbus throuple would rule and they can teach pro gambit strats and hive magic and hell yes silver surfy turns green and mean. Do it bungie.

Season of the Polycule

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

PathAsc posted:

Bungie Twitter

Thank you. I barely read the lore entries as is. I never look at bungie Twitter unless it’s linked here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should pay Peter Dinklage to come back and reveal that the Nolanbot was a fraud all along, then we can get back to the real roots of Destiny - scanning poo poo on Venus for no real reason

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Everybody on Neptune is digitalized and lives in the computer as a series of ones and zeros

Nimbus, however

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

RBA Starblade posted:

They should pay Peter Dinklage to come back and reveal that the Nolanbot was a fraud all along, then we can get back to the real roots of Destiny - scanning poo poo on Venus for no real reason

I still think Dinklage should've played Immaru, would've been funny

also christ, I think Tormentors are the least fun enemy to fight in Destiny. I blame every redditor who cribbed about ability spam for the absolute glut of suppression poo poo in the LF campaign

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
they really looked at people dunking on Short Round for 30 goddamn years and said "ok but, stick with me here, what if he was huge"

No time for love, Dr. Crow!

(On that note, the intentional 80s-cringe writing landed a LOT better with Crow awkwardly hitting on Amanda post-rescue)

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Did they patch Jotunn getting 10 ammo in PvP from solar scav yet?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I jumped in to this after work, did like three campaign missions, and promptly lost all interest and logged out.

Uh oh.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I'm making a voodoo doll of whichever sick gently caress at bungie keeps putting inescapable death pits in this 90% cabal enemy campaign. I wish nothing but the worst for that twisted deviant

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

PathAsc posted:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/51819

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

being mad that bungie didn't add a tutorial tooltip saying "Nimbus is nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns. [Press B to dismiss]" is one of the funnier complaints i've seen about this expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Everybody using he/him for Nimbus is making it hard to tell who's just a Casual and who is a bigot tho