Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

I saw someone float the idea of mulligans being draw 12, bottom 5. I kind of like it but I haven’t tested it.

That sounds insanely, ridiculously strong. I'm all for it, let's get weird with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

pre game separate out your lands from your spells
shuffle both piles face down
draw 7 cards in total from either pile players choice how many from each
shuffle both piles back together
no mulligans

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Enjoy your hand of three forests and four red cards, I guess.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Jabor posted:

Enjoy your hand of three forests and four red cards, I guess.

explain

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
How about we simplify the suggestions so far and just say

"The combo player wins automatically"

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Sounds pretty good for a deck with three urza lands only.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
game 1 of every Bo3 match becomes a race to see who can lose first so they get the absolutely nutso busted starts for the 2nd player people are suggesting here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chamale posted:

What if the second player started the game with a Treasure token? That's probably too strong.

I think any kind of broad solution would involve choice. Like, the player on the draw gets their choice of "scry 2, gain 2 life, create a Treasure/Clue/Food"

The problem is that literally every option they could do would enable a degenerate deck, but like, that's just magic after 30 years of cards

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Each player has hexproof until their first upkeep.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They could try not making 1 and 2 drops so insane and pushed

Lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh, that's actually pretty nice. T1 Duress is some poo poo

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

HootTheOwl posted:

No attacks until turn 5! I mean just play whatever cool casual format you like I suppose.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

How about we simplify the suggestions so far and just say

"The combo player wins automatically"

Idk people said that about the Vancouver and London mulligans too and they ended up being fine and the current mulligan system is probably the best it’s ever been. I think you can create mechanisms to increase the quality of opening hands without immediately forcing everyone to play combo.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

precision posted:

They could try not making 1 and 2 drops so insane and pushed

Lol

How are they supposed to sell cards then! Think of the corporations :colbert:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Idk people said that about the Vancouver and London mulligans too and they ended up being fine and the current mulligan system is probably the best it’s ever been. I think you can create mechanisms to increase the quality of opening hands without immediately forcing everyone to play combo.

People were hyperbolic about it being combo wins immediately, but Frank Karsten did an analysis at the time showing the London Mulligan does statistically significantly increase the reliability of decks that rely on specific cards or are combo decks. The impact of the increase in consistency for these kinds of decks is offset by the decrease in games where someone would lose because of bad mulligan results though. To take that mulligan rule to higher numbers of cards would start to flip that math where the consistency of combo decks outweighs the decrease in non-games

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

precision posted:

Oh, that's actually pretty nice. T1 Duress is some poo poo

jassi007 posted:

No attacks until turn 5! I mean just play whatever cool casual format you like I suppose.
Magic, baybee!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the fairest one of any that have been suggested that I've seen is the player who is on the draw gets a free mulligan.

Not bad but also most places I play we do at least 1 free mulligan anyway

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Can someone explain this reference to me? I'm totally lost.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Could someone that plays pioneer give a reality check on this Tyvar sacrifice deck? It's nearly one to one with what I play on arena in explorer and while looking at potential changes I saw the explorer version is basically the same as pioneer (I added deathrite shamans in the sideboard just because I have them)

It does have some 5-0 in a league but I'm not sure if that's a real indicator of quality and I'm concerned that in practice it would get hit by incidental graveyard hate.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Who would be the funniest Ravnica character to pair with Fblthp for MOM? Niv-Mizzet?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

fadam posted:

I saw someone float the idea of mulligans being draw 12, bottom 5. I kind of like it but I haven’t tested it.

iirc the problem with the guy's analysis is that he was thinking of "combo decks" purely in terms of splinter twin combos (or bazaar of baghdad decks) and missing out how this is way better for storm combos (storm also includes burn)

(and probably doesn't speed up mulligan decisions as players try to map out how they want their first few turns to play out from the different possible combinations of 12 cards)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Judgy Fucker posted:

Who would be the funniest Ravnica character to pair with Fblthp for MOM? Niv-Mizzet?

Borborygmos. They both only have a single eye!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Fblthp has the 'did I do that?' look of someone who just accidentally introduced phyresis to an entire plane

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheResleevables/status/1630963363328163840?s=20

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

whydirt posted:

Borborygmos. They both only have a single eye!

Bah, then you're just copying Zndrsplt and Okaun. The real answer is Massacre Girl :getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Whenever Feather and Fblthp becomes the target of a spell you control, shuffle Feather and Fblthp back into your deck and put the spell back into your hand at the start of the next end step.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 1, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Tibor and Lumia.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Azusa, nerds.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Azusa, nerds.

Azusa is from Kamigawa not Ravnica!!!!!!

Fblthp, the Lost but Seeking would be a good unset card tho

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Azusa is from Kamigawa not Ravnica!!!!!!

Fblthp, the Lost but Seeking would be a good unset card tho

I don't think you understand how lost Fblthp was.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

If Fblthp is that lost I'd just as soon see him paired with Lord of the Pit to take down those mean, nasty Phyrexians.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Yessss. I thought it was still embargoed behind patreon.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Bruvac is from Ravnica, I think.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Judgy Fucker posted:

I mean the funniest character in general would be Norin, who is/was on Dominaria?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Fblthp, the Compleately Lost

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

mossyfisk posted:

Fblthp, the Compleately Lost

oh poo poo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are the Phyrexians invading the Unfinity plane? What is the Unfinity plane?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fblthp and Ulasht, The Hate Seed

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think you understand how lost Fblthp was.

Good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kashuno posted:

People were hyperbolic about it being combo wins immediately, but Frank Karsten did an analysis at the time showing the London Mulligan does statistically significantly increase the reliability of decks that rely on specific cards or are combo decks. The impact of the increase in consistency for these kinds of decks is offset by the decrease in games where someone would lose because of bad mulligan results though. To take that mulligan rule to higher numbers of cards would start to flip that math where the consistency of combo decks outweighs the decrease in non-games

Doesn’t the current rule also favor aggro? I think that’s what people were saying at the time of its introduction