Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
lol just lol if you dont read the four paragraphs of recap after every vendor dialogue that takes up the entire screen and ends up taking longer to read than listening to the dialogue half the time and see what pronouns the text refers to nimbus by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Everybody using he/him for Nimbus is making it hard to tell who's just a Casual and who is a bigot tho

Lol this

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Are there new guns in the campaign? I only seem to be getting old drops. Do you have to get your rep up or something to get new weapons?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Lord Packinham posted:

Are there new guns in the campaign? I only seem to be getting old drops. Do you have to get your rep up or something to get new weapons?

You can get them from Nimbus rep or yes, from the campaign. I’ve gotten a few (the fusion can roll Voltshot which could be interesting).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They lied, we're just as strong as before. Just die a lil easier with less resilience. I actually swapped my builds to go back into mobility instead of resilience because the builds are so fluid now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lord Packinham posted:

I've gotten a couple drops of the heavy GL from the campaign.

The plot up through the end of the 3rd mission has been stupidly McGuffiny, "Go here, [Proper Noun Thing] is there, and it's super important for reasons we're not going to touch on, at all!" Then you get where they told you to go, but [Proper Noun Thing] isn't actually there and you fight a bunch of Cabal and leave. Osiris is very angry and dumber than ever, it's like someone in the writing department decided a few years back that they didn't like how Osiris had all this reverence around him and that they'd spend the rest of the franchise writing him as a moron whenever the main plot was involved to cut him down to size.

I'm able to get a ton of grenade uptime on my Arc Hunter, general buildcrafting seems fine if somewhat more constrained than previous, but the Armor Charge system feels like it decays too fast to actually be of much use.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Majere posted:

Did they patch Jotunn getting 10 ammo in PvP from solar scav yet?

Yes*

https://twitter.com/bungiehelp/status/1630794800697057281?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
I think Nimbus is a dumb fun character.

What isn't as fun is realising there is a catalyst quest for the seasonal weapon you have to pick up from the Gunsmith. After you have already been using the weapon for a while.

Is this normal Destiny behaviour? You have to manually check how to get the better version of the seasonal weapon with the Gunsmith?

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

ColdIronsBound posted:

What isn't as fun is realising there is a catalyst quest for the seasonal weapon you have to pick up from the Gunsmith. After you have already been using the weapon for a while.

Is this normal Destiny behaviour? You have to manually check how to get the better version of the seasonal weapon with the Gunsmith?

yeah that's how all seasonal weapons work. Despite this I also forgot.

It's a little less bad when it's not the first season of the expansion cause there isn't a campaign for you to be thrown into and you'll probably swing by the tower regardless

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's unfortunate the writing is so weak. Even my friend, who's a huge Bungie apologist, says the story has not been good so far. "Feels like they're treading water."

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I just finished running through The Witch Queen story missions and thought it was pretty neat - I'd been told to read about Oryx (I never played Destiny 1) before and really liked the lore with those three, so having her come back and do stuff was fun and interesting.

That being said, I thought Dr. Triangles or whatever their name is that they revealed at the end looked very silly, and it's not exactly filling me with confidence that everyone in this thread seems pretty down on the story of Lightfall.

I'm still gonna buy it, probably, but for now I'm probably just gonna run around doing old poo poo I need to catch up on, shooting hella aliens with my new bone gun.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Drifter is the only nb rep I need

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ColdIronsBound posted:

if you're talking about the quicksilver storm - if it helps, this thing's apparently missing a 40% buff it's supposed to have from being an exotic primary (per the day 1 issues thread bungie put on twitter), so you're not missing out. i just finished the catalyst anyways because its still basically the best auto rifle i have even sans that buff (i almost wonder if they already fixed it and just didn't say anything yet)

there is an icon it puts on the map to go talk to the gunsmith but yeah it's easy to miss since nothing takes you back to the tower early in the campaign

if you're talking about the actual seasonal gun (the stasis bow)... you'll quickly see that the grind for that is so long that losing a couple of hours won't make a difference, lol

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Firebert posted:

Drifter is the only nb rep I need

He's not NB. You are mistaken about several things.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bleck posted:

I just finished running through The Witch Queen story missions and thought it was pretty neat - I'd been told to read about Oryx (I never played Destiny 1) before and really liked the lore with those three, so having her come back and do stuff was fun and interesting.

That being said, I thought Dr. Triangles or whatever their name is that they revealed at the end looked very silly, and it's not exactly filling me with confidence that everyone in this thread seems pretty down on the story of Lightfall.

I'm still gonna buy it, probably, but for now I'm probably just gonna run around doing old poo poo I need to catch up on, shooting hella aliens with my new bone gun.

I like the idea of referring to The Witness as Dr. Triangles.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
played the legendary downfall mission last night with a destiny newb

it was really fun! we were calling out dog spawns and taken centurion orbs, felt like a good introduction to the actually fun and hard parts of destiny.

I was limiting myself to items the new character i created to play with him would have until we died right before the end of the final encounter and i said gently caress it and equipped witherhoard

good god that gun is overpowered

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo this Headlong mission is so bad

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Meiteron posted:

I think the big issue is that - for Destiny - the WQ campaign writing was actually well done with a good antagonist. It was also very structurally coherent; the first mission sets up the premise (Savathun "stole" the Light and empowered the Hive with it) and pretty much every plot point for the entire campaign after that is answering questions - how did she do it, why did she do it, what's she going to do with it, how do we stop her? By the end of that campaign you have a very comprehensive understanding of Savathun, end up killing her in a very thematically appropriate way (throw the queen of lies and deceit off-balance by showing her she was lied to and deceived), and just enough information on the Witness to know it's very bad news.

Lightfall's campaign, to it's significant detriment, has been more like all the other Destiny campaigns and this stands out even worse this time because now we know they can do better, they just didn't. If I'm being honest it's giving me exactly the same vibes of going from Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3 where a lot of careful plot work was thrown out to introduce a never-explained macguffin that will somehow Solve Everything and if you were around for the original ME3 release you know how that ended up going over. If you weren't - not well!

It honestly makes me a little bit concerned that they're going to drop the ball on closing out this saga in Final Shape. That won't, like, ruin the game or anything because at the end of the day something like 1% of what I play Destiny for is the rich lore of their epic space opera, but it will be a bummer.

Very agree. I think I'm finally ready to accept that the good parts of the destiny story aren't meant to intersect with the main campaign experience and Witch Queen was just a fluke. Cool sci fi poo poo is just for raids and dungeons, main campaign is all goofs all the time. Thank you nimbus

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

General Battuta posted:

Someone tell me what happens in this one in a reasonably factual manner so that I know for future lore, tia

Hey Battuta! Assuming you're somewhat caught up on WQ, here's a big fuckoff wall of words:

The Witness arrives at Earth to start the Second Collapse, supported by Calus in his new body (now the newest Disciple of the Witness) and his Shadow Legion forces. While the Traveler and the Pyramid ships trade shots in space, Shadow Legion forces begin to assault the Last City.

During that initial combat, Osiris' visions (from the final season of WQ) are confirmed: the Witness is searching for the Veil, a paracausal artifact that it believes will allow it to incapacitate or destroy the Traveler. The Veil has been located on Neptune; the Witness immediately orders Calus to leave Earth and travel to Neptune to secure the Veil. Osiris and the Guardian hitch a ride on one of Calus' warships to get there.

When we arrive, we discover the city of Neomuna on Neptune -- an Ishtar Collective colony / research facility. (There was a bit of lore about its origin in the last season.) Neomuna stayed radio silent after the Collapse, hoping to avoid the attention of both the Darkness and Warlord Lightbearers. It's also seemingly empty: most of the human population is either in cryo storage, or has uploaded themselves into a massive computer and only interacts with the physical world using drones or projections. The only physical beings on the planet are the Cloud Striders, a volunteer force of facility caretakers/defenders. When we arrive, there's only two active Cloud Striders, and they're being overwhelmed by both the Shadow Legion and the Vex, because of course the Vex have shown up.

The Guardian makes an initial assault on Calus' facilities, only to find that it contains Pyramid-based equipment that suppresses all known paracausal abilities, preventing a direct assault. (Caiatl conveniently shows up with some of her forces to bail us out when we discover this, and sticks around to publicly challenge her father.) We discover a new Darkness-based ability set called Strand, which the suppressors are not effective on; however, we can only use it in short bursts, not long enough to put up an effective threat.

The rest of the campaign from there alternates between a training montage with Osiris to master Strand, and helping the Cloud Striders fight off the Shadow Legion and Vex and restore the city's automated defense systems. We also find that the Cloud Striders have a very short lifespan -- when a human volunteers to become a Cloud Strider, they're given nanotechnology augmentations that vastly boost their strength/agility but kill them after ~10 years. Sort of a foil to Guardians, really.

Ultimately, once the cliche training montage is done and all the defense systems are online, we assault Calus' facilities, and end up fighting (and defeating) Calus in front of the Veil. Shortly after that seeming victory, the Witness remotely takes control of our Ghost and uses it to create a link between the Veil and the Traveler. This appears to incapacitate the Traveler; the Witness draws a gigantic triangle on it, which turns into some sort of flowery fractal space, and then enters the Traveler.

End scene. Last minute surprise L is taken. The Traveler hasn't exploded, but it's incapacitated; Ghosts and Guardians retain their Light, but Ghosts no longer feel a connection to the big ball. While the direct conflict with the Witness is temporarily over, there's still ongoing combat with the remaining Shadow Legion and Taken on Earth's surface, which is what this first Seasonal cycle is about -- it is expected to prominently involve Mara Sov, who has mobilized the Awoken to assist in Earth's defense.

No mention of Xivu Arath or Savathun. No appearances or voice lines from characters that have previously dealt with Darkness, like Eris or Drifter. It's strongly hinted that the raid will be themed around a resurrected / alternate timeline / etc. form of Nezarec. There's a bunch of post-campaign lore about the Cloud Striders and life on Neomuna.

--

Non-factual take:

Overall, serious Empire Strikes Back vibes. Not as rough as Shadowkeep, but definitely not WQ caliber story. There's a lot of loose ends and unknown motivations that need to be cleaned up, and the Veil is very much an opaque McGuffin atm.

e: I also think a lot of the confused reaction on Reddit hinges from some of Neomuna's lore being put in items from Spire of the Watcher, which almost nobody but the biggest nerdliest nerds read.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 2, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Switched over to the seasonal content cause the campaign was frustrating the hell out of me and it's way better, Crow's a dick now but in a funny based way

Crow: I've been testing the boundaries of the pyramid prison for hours now and the Guardian just walks on through?

Mara Sov: It's a matter of perspective. The walls of the prison may have been impregnable, but the walls between worlds were not.

Crow: Well, I guess you never did care for boundaries.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

So, in retrospect, every puzzle in WQ where we had to activate Deepsight and platform around a tower going upward must have originally been "unlock strand" zone/missions.

Thematically, all the zany Fynch stuff about "seeing connections" plus the evidence board plus strand would be a single conceptual thing. The vibe relates to how the Krill and Humanity and everybody is all bound by some thread of life. Altar of Reflections stuff was probably green and thread-themed rather than mirror-themed. I mean there's tons of threads and ropes and poo poo hanging in there already.

And since all the story was loaded into WQ and the various mechanical advances and upgrades get pushed back to Lightfall, well this must account for how the writing feels rushed in LF.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

arsenicCatnip posted:

Switched over to the seasonal content cause the campaign was frustrating the hell out of me and it's way better, Crow's a dick now but in a funny based way

Crow: I've been testing the boundaries of the pyramid prison for hours now and the Guardian just walks on through?

Mara Sov: It's a matter of perspective. The walls of the prison may have been impregnable, but the walls between worlds were not.

Crow: Well, I guess you never did care for boundaries.

:allears:

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
Anyone else struggling to come up with a viable general mod build? My old system was wells > elemental charge > HEF for most general content and the new system really has nothing that is generically useful in the same way. It also seems designed around both forcing you to masterwork armor and/or grind artifice armor (haven't unlocked the cheaper mods through the artifact yet, which might help.)

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

haveblue posted:

Hey friend. I just finally beat this today.

Abuse osteo striga with the catalyst if you have it. I did a few strikes to get something to infuse into it to get to appropriate light level. If you got the catalyst, use it against the vex swarms. Throw the strand balls at the hobgoblins.

Osteo even does good damage against the boss.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Aqua Dracula posted:

Anyone else struggling to come up with a viable general mod build? My old system was wells > elemental charge > HEF for most general content and the new system really has nothing that is generically useful in the same way. It also seems designed around both forcing you to masterwork armor and/or grind artifice armor (haven't unlocked the cheaper mods through the artifact yet, which might help.)

I'm basically just rolling "harmonic" whatever as neutral quality-of-life and matching weapons to subclass and using Eye of Another World as a neutral exotic that fixes all the new cooldown problems.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Aqua Dracula posted:

What I was running yesterday as a void Titan:

Helm: Kinetic and Harmonic (void) Siphon mods, Heavy Ammo Finder
Arms: Heavy-Handed, Firepower, Momentum Transfer
Chest: Charged Up, concussive dampener
Legs: Void Weapon Surge, Better Already, Innervation
Class: Time Dilation, Bomber, Reaper

Pretty much just a bog simple "spam orbs by killing poo poo with grenades/melee/guns, pick up orbs to keep Void Weapon Surge constantly procced, kill poo poo faster" loop. For the missions where survivability was a thing, I took off Void Weapon Surge and swapped Charged Up for Emergency Reinforcement.

haveblue posted:

That thing's all about add clear. If you raided last season and have a Forbearance with Chain Reaction, that's a win button for the entire encounter; if not, any other wave frame, Witherhoard, Osteo Striga, a voltshot Ikelos / Tarnished Mettle, etc. works fine too. Even Lion Rampant would probably work. Just take your time and focus on keeping adds down and putting your heavy into the boss once adds are cleared.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 1, 2023

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
New Osiris is just Asher Mir

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Lol. Lmao

https://twitter.com/bungiehelp/status/1631016198577049628?s=46&t=fmJEYi4DNWlKtwTNCzQqaw

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Speaking of that strike, I'm amazed that someone at bungie saw that the recommended lightlevel was 1730 and thought to put a message suggesting a way to "quickly " raise it...but it was doing Nimbus' "explore this 1760 LL zone for garbage ".

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Envious Asssassin seems like a cool perk, I wonder if it was inspired by the Dream Work bug or if it's just a coincidence

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Differo Cathedra posted:

Speaking of that strike, I'm amazed that someone at bungie saw that the recommended lightlevel was 1730 and thought to put a message suggesting a way to "quickly " raise it...but it was doing Nimbus' "explore this 1760 LL zone for garbage ".

The solution is to do the Legend campaign, seriously. It’s not actually that hard and with the gear drops all being like +20, I’m not even at that quest step yet and I’m 1731.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

The EV bright dust Calendar says that in week 6 and week 7 it's going to be selling ornaments for...Trust?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did Nimbus just have a Reverse Coming Out moment and tell me their REAL name?

Good god

Bungie either doesn't have any trans folk involved in the creative process or their contributions went through too many layers of Review and ended up totally missing the point ahahaa. That scene was genuine TW tier stuff

from post-campaign stuff they reveal all cloudstriders used a superhero name (except Rohan? His real name if he has one hasn't come up)

so it's more like Captain America saying "hey when we're not on the field you can call me Steve"

BUUUUUT given the context of having an NB character do this and it not being clear the name Nimbus is a callsign for work as opposed to their new identity does look pretty bad!

There is a lore piece from the perspective of a Neomunan who spends their time in the 'deep net' or whatever, as opposed to the recreation of the physical city most citizens were going to. I guess NB/genderfluid, but more in the sense that they basically eschewed having a set form at all, and "decide on a body and gender for the day" for interacting with the normies and then the pronouns immediately change. I'm probably explaining this poorly.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Good god

Bungie either doesn't have any trans folk involved in the creative process or their contributions went through too many layers of Review and ended up totally missing the point ahahaa. That scene was genuine TW tier stuff

https://twitter.com/marinmmillerVO/status/1630644541052321792

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

arsenicCatnip posted:

The EV bright dust Calendar says that in week 6 and week 7 it's going to be selling ornaments for...Trust?

Trust is a gambit drop.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

abraham linksys posted:

being mad that bungie didn't add a tutorial tooltip saying "Nimbus is nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns. [Press B to dismiss]" is one of the funnier complaints i've seen about this expansion

Yeah, thread's being dumb here, you figure that anyone with a functioning brain can figure it out the second Rohan or the quest dialogue starts using "they" for pronouns.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Good god

Bungie has a lot of trans folks on their team. Nimbus is their 'superhero name', not their real name. The post-campaign stuff goes into it, where they talk about various older cloudstriders. They all have superhero names, but their actual names are used freely and there is nothing weird about it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

Bungie has a lot of trans folks on their team. Nimbus is their 'superhero name', not their real name. The post-campaign stuff goes into it, where they talk about various older cloudstriders. They all have superhero names, but their actual names are used freely and there is nothing weird about it.

This can be true and also trans people can find the Nimbus writing to be a great big oopsy

The voice work IMHO is good. I know that's the primary area of criticism but I don't get it. Maybe I'm biased because I liked their work in hades tho

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Roctavian posted:

So, in retrospect, every puzzle in WQ where we had to activate Deepsight and platform around a tower going upward must have originally been "unlock strand" zone/missions.

Thematically, all the zany Fynch stuff about "seeing connections" plus the evidence board plus strand would be a single conceptual thing. The vibe relates to how the Krill and Humanity and everybody is all bound by some thread of life. Altar of Reflections stuff was probably green and thread-themed rather than mirror-themed. I mean there's tons of threads and ropes and poo poo hanging in there already.

And since all the story was loaded into WQ and the various mechanical advances and upgrades get pushed back to Lightfall, well this must account for how the writing feels rushed in LF.

This makes so much sense :psyduck: In 20 years when someone does a Destiny 2: Remake LE MCC Director’s Cut they’ll fold strand back into the witch queen stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Aqua Dracula posted:

Trust is a gambit drop.

oh cool! I know people really like that gun so I'll have to try and nab one when I become a gambit maniac again