Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

ThirstyBuck posted:

It had been on all morning and I did two 10 second tests back to back and both were around 160*F.
That's too low to just be heat loss; have you tried adjusting the pressurestat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I hear you. I hear you. for now, I’m also afraid of it becoming another money sink, and light roast is also what i’m 100% into. medium and dark is not my thing at all, so that would add to the difficulty. maybe in a couple of years or so, when my wife will let me indulge in even more coffee spending again without raising a few eyebrows at the idea

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

bizwank posted:

That's too low to just be heat loss; have you tried adjusting the pressurestat?

I gave it a couple cranks but maybe I need to give it 10 more. I’ll try it this weekend.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MetaJew posted:

I had planned to buy one using proceeds from an employee referral bonus when I got a friend a job.

This is exactly how I justified my Niche.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This is exactly how I justified my Niche.

And that's why I'm so mad. I had already spent this theoretical money in my head.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MetaJew posted:

And that's why I'm so mad. I had already spent this theoretical money in my head.

Yes, my friend has yet to pass their probation (end of next month) :ssh:

The mental gymnastics we undertake to buy the things that we want...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

I gave it a couple cranks but maybe I need to give it 10 more.

I think we've had the current thread title for a really long time just saying.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bizwank posted:

Stock coffee thermostat on the Classic is 107C, so yeah about 224F. I'd expect and be ok with maybe a 10F temp drop between sensor and group output (that's what I usually see with the Auber kits I install); more then that and there's probably something wrong with either your PID or the temp sensor (or your testing).

Did try this process? https://www.shadesofcoffee.co.uk/ive-installed-a-pid-and-measured-my-brew-temperature-but-it-seems-low

Bandire posted:

Thanks, this is helpful. I'll give this a shot. I assumed there was an offset setting in there somewhere, but I hadn't spent enough time digging apparently.

Yeah, for some reason the offset was set to zero, when it was supposed to be -8 degrees out of the box. Set it to -10 and its dead on now. We'll see how it goes. It still made fine coffee, but it was so much cooler in the cup I knew something was off. Thanks again.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So the Baratza ESP reviews are pretty solid for an entry level grinder. I’ll just have to upgrade my encore burr and throw in the 80 step mod and I’ll be like 90% there I guess.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

A Silvia with PID and DF64 are on their way to me. For a basic espresso with light/medium roast beans, is there a youtube video I should be following or will the Silvia's manual be good enough as a start?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

You should definitely read the manual so you know what not to do to the machine, but it won't tell you how to pull a good shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bizwank posted:

You should definitely read the manual so you know what not to do to the machine, but it won't tell you how to pull a good shot.

I will certainly read the manual so I don't destroy the machine, but it's the good shot where I was hoping to find a step-by-step tutorial.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

I will certainly read the manual so I don't destroy the machine, but it's the good shot where I was hoping to find a step-by-step tutorial.

This whole playlist is helpful for breaking down concepts and why they’re important so you understand the other 100s of hours of video you’re going to watch.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxz0FjZMVOl3ksLTyWsWNFdU1b73w1BUW

I hate lance but these videos got me to understand how to actually dial significantly better than Hoffmann’s videos above did. I recommend watching Hoffmann first to get the raw understanding and then Lance for the technique.

https://youtu.be/TrQfn4jcWS8

https://youtu.be/hihG6kaxbk8

https://youtu.be/DFB6E_7W2c0

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I agree on both counts. Hoffmann commits a classic teacher mistake of "deep theory followed by only one example, that oughta do it!"

I recommend printing out the espresso compass and referring to it frequently during these videos. "What quadrant are they describing? How would I move to the sweet spot from here?"

That way you cement all that theory into one visual you can have at hand the first few months before you find that you can conjure a mental image.

The graphic also misses a couple of key labels, IMO. "Improve extraction" direction can be accomplished with the following, so you can pencil them in. Best to mostly use #1 here.
1. Grind finer
2. Increase temperature
3. Increase pre-infusion
4. Decrease pressure
5. Decrease dose in

Also, if you seem to have a cup that falls in opposite quadrants, e.g. sour & bitter at once, you have channels and need to coarsen your grind (and/or lower your pressure).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cool, thanks!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

for some reason I cannot quite comprehend, the drawdown was just three minutes this morning, despite the fact that I didn’t change the grind setting from yesterday when the coffee was ok. my wife said it was like office coffee, which is just the most savage description I can think of

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Greetings nerds.

I have a new home and with it, a little more counter space and some leftover cash. I wish to purchase 2 new coffee grinders, one for filter and one for espresso. Budget up to about 1,000 bones total for both grinders.

I am currently using a Lido E for both tasks and I'm kind of sick of cranking it every morning. But I like the workflow of weighing, grinding, and brewing, so I'd like to stick with single dose grinders.

For filter, I brew mostly V60. Occasionally I'll do French press or Aeropress (not that those are "filter" per se, but they would be done with this grinder). Typically light to medium roasts. 15-45 grams of coffee at a time. For espresso, it's going to be combined with a Gaggia classic with 9 bar mod, PID, upgraded shower screen, and VST 18 gram basket. I know it pretty well and at this point I can usually get good shots out of it provided the beans aren't too challenging. I typically do medium or dark/espresso roasts but if I could get into light roasts without worrying that my grinder is causing issues that would be super cool. This thing might get replaced at some point but for now that's what it's gonna be.

For filter, I'm really liking the look of the Ode 2. It really looks like everything I'm searching for, and I don't mind the 50 dollar premium over the Ode 1 for all its improvements. For espresso I'm a little more lost. The Niche looks great but it seems really hard to get. The DF64 is attractive as well, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood to faff about so much with everything that needs to be done to make it work at its best...is it as janky as it looks from Hoffman's review? As far as I can tell with the better Sette's, you are paying for dosing, which is of no concern to me. Anything else I'm missing?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Unless the espresso grinder is extremely specialized I don't see why you would need a separate grinder for filter. It's not like a few fines are a huge issue for V60; the default Ode 2 burrs create them too.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

hypnophant posted:

I’ve posted before about why I think there are better options than e61 machines nowadays; you have experience with one so you can decide for yourself if those reasons matter to you.

Reaching way back in the thread, but wanted to say thanks for the feedback because after reading back in your history + doing other research online I ended up ordering a DE1PRO today. Now the antsy waiting before a bunch of coffee :science:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i own every Bionicle posted:

The DF64 is attractive as well, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood to faff about so much with everything that needs to be done to make it work at its best...is it as janky as it looks from Hoffman's review? As far as I can tell with the better Sette's, you are paying for dosing, which is of no concern to me. Anything else I'm missing?

Hoffmann's review of it is really dumb because he refuses to RDT it -- which is a thing that he happily does for other, identical flat burrs like the P64 -- then complains about the static. I think a couple of the other minor issues (de-clumper) have also been fixed in newer iterations of the product, though I've never tried the new ones.

It's primarily the cheapest way to get into 64mm SSP burrs, which I like a lot (and it would be a redundant waste to buy both it and an Ode 2)

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 28, 2023

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Greetings nerds.

I have a new home and with it, a little more counter space and some leftover cash. I wish to purchase 2 new coffee grinders, one for filter and one for espresso. Budget up to about 1,000 bones total for both grinders.

I am currently using a Lido E for both tasks and I'm kind of sick of cranking it every morning. But I like the workflow of weighing, grinding, and brewing, so I'd like to stick with single dose grinders.

For filter, I brew mostly V60. Occasionally I'll do French press or Aeropress (not that those are "filter" per se, but they would be done with this grinder). Typically light to medium roasts. 15-45 grams of coffee at a time. For espresso, it's going to be combined with a Gaggia classic with 9 bar mod, PID, upgraded shower screen, and VST 18 gram basket. I know it pretty well and at this point I can usually get good shots out of it provided the beans aren't too challenging. I typically do medium or dark/espresso roasts but if I could get into light roasts without worrying that my grinder is causing issues that would be super cool. This thing might get replaced at some point but for now that's what it's gonna be.

For filter, I'm really liking the look of the Ode 2. It really looks like everything I'm searching for, and I don't mind the 50 dollar premium over the Ode 1 for all its improvements. For espresso I'm a little more lost. The Niche looks great but it seems really hard to get. The DF64 is attractive as well, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood to faff about so much with everything that needs to be done to make it work at its best...is it as janky as it looks from Hoffman's review? As far as I can tell with the better Sette's, you are paying for dosing, which is of no concern to me. Anything else I'm missing?

I have your exact espresso setup, mods, basket and all. I have Niche and love it. They aren't hard to get anymore. Currently in-stock with like a 7 day time to ship. You'll be happy with it for a long time, and it will be good enough for your next espresso machine too.

I also have a Gen1 Ode with Gen2 burrs for v60/Clever/Aeropress, and I like it quite a bit as well. I really wish I had waited for the full gen2.

thotsky posted:

Unless the espresso grinder is extremely specialized I don't see why you would need a separate grinder for filter. It's not like a few fines are a huge issue for V60; the default Ode 2 burrs create them too.

There are a few reasons you want separate grinders, but the main one is espresso dial in is pretty finnicky. Its really hard to get back to the exact spot on the dial after swinging it two thirds of the way back and forth. You also need to runs beans through it to flush out the old grind size before grinding your dose. If you have the funds and counterspace, I highly recommend separate grinders.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I saw that Hoffmann's review of the Ode gen 2 is out, and having owned one for about a month now on [partially] the advice of this thread, it's pretty fair and accurate. I'm going to try using the grounds catcher without the lid.

Also wanted to say that whoever it was that recommended Bird and Bear for a coffee subscription, I've been through maybe 8 lbs of their beans at this point and everything is great, at a reasonable price.

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 28, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

thotsky posted:

This is against the general consensus of the thread. Trying to redial espresso to the same spot after moving all the way to filter is absolutely dreadful to do, and you’ll never get it exactly right.

Additionally, the amount of waste from clearing retained grinds is absurd.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if you've dialed in a coffee once, it's not that hard to remember "i was on [x] setting last time" and get very close to your previous results. i know this would work very badly for a cafe that does need that exact precision and replicability, but I don't think it's that big of a deal for a home consumer

and if you have an "absurd" amount of waste from retained grinds alone, that's an entirely different issue

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 28, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

eke out posted:

if you've dialed in a coffee once, it's not that hard to remember "i was on [x] setting last time" and get very close to your previous results. i know this would work very badly for a cafe that does need that exact precision and replicability, but I don't think it's that big of a deal for a home consumer

and if you have an "absurd" amount of waste from retained grinds alone, that's an entirely different issue

You gotta run a couple of grams through most grinders to clear the retention, especially on a grind size change.

Even at a super minimal 2-3 grams per 20g brew (assuming you change the setting for each brew) which would only be acceptable with something extremely low retention like a niche, that really does add up. You’re wasting a whole bag of coffee every 6-7 bags.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Does the Ode 2 still create a mess with static?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

The recent Hoffman review mentioned that it was substantially improved in that regard. Still probably wants an RDT though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You gotta run a couple of grams through most grinders to clear the retention, especially on a grind size change.

Even at a super minimal 2-3 grams per 20g brew (assuming you change the setting for each brew) which would only be acceptable with something extremely low retention like a niche, that really does add up. You’re wasting a whole bag of coffee every 6-7 bags.

Several of the grinders discussed have minimal retention (especially with use of bellows) and you can certainly get the grounds out fine without wasting 10%.

Obviously you would not do this if you are a barista pulling lots of shots or if you're a roaster cupping production roasts, or in some other context where exact sensory precision is important for your business. But you're arguing it's so unacceptable that consumers would be better off buying a second very expensive machine!

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 1, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Bandire posted:

I have your exact espresso setup, mods, basket and all. I have Niche and love it. They aren't hard to get anymore. Currently in-stock with like a 7 day time to ship. You'll be happy with it for a long time, and it will be good enough for your next espresso machine too.

I also have a Gen1 Ode with Gen2 burrs for v60/Clever/Aeropress, and I like it quite a bit as well. I really wish I had waited for the full gen2.

There are a few reasons you want separate grinders, but the main one is espresso dial in is pretty finnicky. Its really hard to get back to the exact spot on the dial after swinging it two thirds of the way back and forth. You also need to runs beans through it to flush out the old grind size before grinding your dose. If you have the funds and counterspace, I highly recommend separate grinders.

Thank you!

If you are in the US, where did you get the Niche from?

And yes, I could swap back and forth between espresso and drip with the Lido, and that being a hand grinder, the retention was extremely low. But it was a pain in the rear end. Even with careful cleaning and purging with a couple grams of beans, it seemed like it still took a couple shots to get it where I wanted, like I had just started a new bag of beans. Plus I was considering maybe different burrs, flat for filter and conical or something with more texture for espresso.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Thank you!

If you are in the US, where did you get the Niche from?

And yes, I could swap back and forth between espresso and drip with the Lido, and that being a hand grinder, the retention was extremely low. But it was a pain in the rear end. Even with careful cleaning and purging with a couple grams of beans, it seemed like it still took a couple shots to get it where I wanted, like I had just started a new bag of beans. Plus I was considering maybe different burrs, flat for filter and conical or something with more texture for espresso.

I'm in the US, and I just ordered it directly from them. https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/products/niche-zero

I'm not sure they have a US distributor, but its fine. It might take a couple weeks to get here, but its not like it used to be when they were doing weird timed releases on Kickstarter that sold out instantly

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don’t RDT and haven’t had any issues at all with mess

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I’m in agreement with eke out here. Two grinders is a luxury, but by no means a necessity. Remember you only need to purge when you switch from filter to espresso, and depending on your grinder you don’t need to use much coffee - with the p64 I do literally a pinch of beans, maybe 0.5 grams. I’d love to have two grinders because i’m running out of ways to make my setup even more over the top, but unless you’re literally switching back and forth every day I think you’re better off getting one grinder that costs twice as much.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Any general tips for anaerobics for espresso, particularly on a Decent? My local roaster got some in but they're in 225g bags so I'd prefer to spend as little time dialing in as possible.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"anaerobic" is unfortunately a nearly-meaningless term that encompasses a ridiculous variety of different preparations

the main thing i've learned is that (unless they're the rare one that's insanely clean and well-prepared) you probably want less extraction than you would on a normal washed coffee, because that can help minimize the rotten fruit miso black olive type off-flavors

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TimeMore's Flat Burr Grinder is going to be on sale on March 14th. I'll probably pick it up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timemore/timemore-electric-coffee-grinder?ref=clipboard-prelaunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=halO4CaUBe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_5i1QDXvU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

all coffee youtubers are legally required to describe every new grinder as THE NEW NICHE-KILLER?????

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone have one of the grinders with an ioniser on the output and does it make a difference?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bold move to make an ode knockoff and price it $200 higher

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

hypnophant posted:

bold move to make an ode knockoff and price it $200 higher
There are only so many ways to design a small grinder and it sure looks better than an Encore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it seems like an awful lot of money for something new and untested by a manufacturer that's making their first-ever electric grinder, given all the other things on the market that are Quite Good at those price points (and it's not like Timemore has a reputation for the most amazing hand grinders, they're fine but 1zpresso has eaten their lunch)