Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Safety Dance posted:

Wait, Ophelia was a stoat? I thought she was being hunted pre-transition
I had to go into the archives for context and I'm miserable now but the long and short is that George got pinched by a bunch of pelt harvesters who were also holding Ophelia having mistaken her for a groundhog (they were after groundhog products) and she's being hunted in the sense that she's running from organized crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Of course, that makes so much sense. Thank you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hostile V posted:

I had to go into the archives for context and I'm miserable now but the long and short is that George got pinched by a bunch of pelt harvesters who were also holding Ophelia having mistaken her for a groundhog (they were after groundhog products) and she's being hunted in the sense that she's running from organized crime.

BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2023: I had to go into the archives for context and I'm miserable now

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
weirdly, it not being a strained metaphor does make it much less uncomfortable. if anything holbrook could use more of these logical extrapolations from hellworld rather than trying to make hellworld things parallels of actual things, beastars was a fun comic

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 28, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I swear if I see one more panel that has a thought bubble of a bear and another of a tardigrade I shall write to the editor

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This got me. lol

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

"Good luck, all you other galley slaves! Enjoy your life of toiling in chains!" :byewhore:

Look someone has to row okay :capitalism: (pretend this says feudalism although there's only so much difference)

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 08, 1956)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

I prefer it to the Gilchrist Nancy days though, ngl.

You could say that about 90% of the comics in this thread

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

I think the joke should work like this?
About the name "Eka" Vekarainen:
Eka = first, informal shortening of "ensimmäinen"
Vekara = (unruly) kid
Eka Vekara = Eega Beeva, a Disney character that has appeared occasionally in comics alongside Mickey Mouse. Intended to be a being of the future, Eega's characterized as having a whole bunch of peculiar habits like eating mothballs and sleeping on stalagmites. I think they've mainly appeared in the Donald Duck pocket comic books that afaik have largely European artists, with Italy being especially well represented.

The Donald Duck comics are (or have been) really popular over here so the name pun works.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Boni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/28/03

Brenda Starr 7/2/50

Smokey Stover 3/22/53

Everyday Movies 3/2/36

"The boss says you can have the job. But he says not to wear your glasses between 12 and 1:30 -- that's when the girls come in for lunch."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/26-28/40

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/26-28/40

This is how people communicated in the days before mobile phones.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've become somewhat enamored with Scarlet O'Hara's weird Golden Age energy, particularly the fact that she seems to be a drifter with no agenda of her own apart from accidentally getting involved in things. She might as well be a ghost apart from the 2-3 perfunctory strips per arc where she is actually visible and it's kind of neat.

e: O'Neil. Gosh, cultural priming, huh :v:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Nancy has just had it with war stamps

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Nancy has just had it with war stamps

Defense stamps were a way of buying war bonds a little at a time - you'd buy a 10 cent stamp and put it in a book that held a specific number of them. When you filled it up, you would exchange it for a War Bond that could be redeemed for cash with interest after the war.

The other non-postage stamps mentioned were ration coupons - you were only permitted a certain amount of sugar/gas/coffee/etc at a time, which was handled by you having to hand over a certain number of stamps from your issued book at the time of purchase. Nominally to ensure materials for the war effort, in actuality much American rationing was performative - it wasn't really critical, but helped the civilians feel like they were at war.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Comic Stripes 2023: Together we should study…monkey bums!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've become somewhat enamored with Scarlet O'Hara's weird Golden Age energy, particularly the fact that she seems to be a drifter with no agenda of her own apart from accidentally getting involved in things. She might as well be a ghost apart from the 2-3 perfunctory strips per arc where she is actually visible and it's kind of neat.

I love the pacing. Everything happens real fast and when a story ends BAM a new one begins.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gnoman posted:

Defense stamps were a way of buying war bonds a little at a time - you'd buy a 10 cent stamp and put it in a book that held a specific number of them. When you filled it up, you would exchange it for a War Bond that could be redeemed for cash with interest after the war.

The other non-postage stamps mentioned were ration coupons - you were only permitted a certain amount of sugar/gas/coffee/etc at a time, which was handled by you having to hand over a certain number of stamps from your issued book at the time of purchase. Nominally to ensure materials for the war effort, in actuality much American rationing was performative - it wasn't really critical, but helped the civilians feel like they were at war.

War bonds, in addition to directly raising money for the war effort, also had the useful effect of helping to curb inflation by giving people something to spend money on. In a restricted war economy, people couldn't really buy much beyond the necessities, so everybody's paychecks would just kind of pile up. And when everyone has too much money, prices tend to shoot up, which leads to all kinds of follow-on problems. The people having a popular and patriotic thing to spend some of that excess cash on helped to limit inflation and keep prices more or less stable.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Comics Kingdom still says I've reached my monthly limit of free comics (it's the first of the month!) so Curtis is on hiatus I guess.

EDIT: Never mind, I found him over in the Political Cartoons Thread:

Vargo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 1, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jeremy doesn't have a whole ham. Is he even hungry?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 28, 2001)

Solid editorial staff burn.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

I think the joke should work like this?
About the name "Eka" Vekarainen:
Eka = first, informal shortening of "ensimmäinen"
Vekara = (unruly) kid
Eka Vekara = Eega Beeva, a Disney character that has appeared occasionally in comics alongside Mickey Mouse. Intended to be a being of the future, Eega's characterized as having a whole bunch of peculiar habits like eating mothballs and sleeping on stalagmites. I think they've mainly appeared in the Donald Duck pocket comic books that afaik have largely European artists, with Italy being especially well represented.

The Donald Duck comics are (or have been) really popular over here so the name pun works.

car tools

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah it's great, like if Into Ilves was completely bonkers instead of Finnish.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a meaning behind "1506 Nix Nix?"

the bus

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there a meaning behind "1506 Nix Nix?"

I probably mentioned it in the last thread, but here it is again: One of Holman's cartoonist friends, Al Posen, best known around here for Them Days Are Gone Forever, lived in room 1506 of a hotel. Holman said that "1506 nix nix" was meant as a (not serious) warning for women to stay away from Posen's room.

I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no hidden meaning behind "scramgravy ain't wavey," though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Absolutely perfect post and av combo. I traveled by bus yesterday and a shirt like that would have been great.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't miss "l'expresso" on The Bus mug either.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Gnoman posted:

There were exceptions, although some of them were justifiable from an angle. Gas rationing in the US wasn't necessarily about about fuel shortages (because America was still a big petroleum producer) so much as about saving tire rubber by keeping cars off the road, because before synthetics were fully developed America was importing huge amounts of natural rubber from southeast Asia. Obviously that wasn't going to happen during the Pacific war, so dialing back tire wear bought the petrochemicals industry some time while they figured out a way to roll their own.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 10, 1935)

Peanuts (March 3, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 16, 1989)

Crankshaft

On the one hand, oh boy, another Funky character getting shoehorned in. Hoo. Ray.
On the other hand, the punchline is "Pete is a great comic book writer." I dare you not to snicker.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 30, 1939)

Out Our Way (March 13-15, 1941)

Yes, that caption is a reference that might go beyond a machine shop safety poster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-SSq_pG2sQ

It would be Goldie who exposes a flaw in the system.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I guess Popeye just gave all those guys their backpay. What a swell fella. :3:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

They are categorically not the police (also acab).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

It's a loving Facebook profile! Just write something; who cares?