Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Iamgoofball posted:

fyi, you can and will be fired on the spot at minimum wage jobs for saying you don't have a cell phone cuz your schedule is "whatever your manager texts/calls you and tells you at 5 in the morning day-of"

source: i watched it happen at fast food

Some of us don't live in a hellworld.
We got job schedules for weeks in advance and when the bosses ask "Can you come in [different time], I can just say 'No'."
No explanations needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

abelwingnut posted:

they killed angularjs? kind of a surprise.

Not really, he's basically Godzilla's Krillin.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Mega Comrade posted:

As for Google cloud, I'm not sure they will just kill it, it's not some side project for them, they have poured huge sums of money into it and gone all in. Killing it will seriously hurt them.

Google leadership discussed killing Google cloud in 2019, unless it manages to beat Azure and get into second place after AWS. The deadline was 2023. They most likely have adjusted these sort of deadlines, but Google has a serious problem of trust and customer service that seriously hampers their growth in services.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
By trust you mean "will Google just abandon this in 9 months?"

That is a problem. The whole messaging system on android over the years is the best example of this. Just constantly stepping on racks over and over and then getting angry no one is using it.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Mega Comrade posted:

By trust you mean "will Google just abandon this in 9 months?"

With Google cloud it can be a factor you have to consider when deciding what cloud provider to use. I have seen it happen once personally. Company was moving to the could and AWS and GCP were both offering similar services and pricing for their use case. While AWS pricing was being slightly more expensive, in the end they still decided to go with them. Slightly lower prices weren´t worth the potential risk of having to migrate everything off the GCP in 3-4 years.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
My company is rolling out a hot desk policy but the problem is there's no uniformity in the desk spaces. We use at least 4 different makes of laptop and they do not have interchangeable docking stations. In addition to that, several desks have either two monitors or one very large monitor to facilitate our work, but many desks just have a single 19" monitor. Management won't pay to standardize the desks so it'll just be a first-come-first-serve free for all to get one of the good desks each day. Love it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mega Comrade posted:

Well not really. The killed angularjs to move onto angular.

As for Google cloud, I'm not sure they will just kill it, it's not some side project for them, they have poured huge sums of money into it and gone all in. Killing it will seriously hurt them.

I wasn't expecting them to lay me off either, but here we are, in this world, where that somehow made sense.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

enahs posted:

My company is rolling out a hot desk policy but the problem is there's no uniformity in the desk spaces. We use at least 4 different makes of laptop and they do not have interchangeable docking stations. In addition to that, several desks have either two monitors or one very large monitor to facilitate our work, but many desks just have a single 19" monitor. Management won't pay to standardize the desks so it'll just be a first-come-first-serve free for all to get one of the good desks each day. Love it.

Nothing says increased productivity more than letting your employees feel like they're in summer camp every goddamn day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mega Comrade posted:

*cough* Stadia *cough*

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nothing says increased productivity more than letting your employees feel like they're in summer camp every goddamn day.

About every quarter a company reports how much productivity went up when they implemented a policy easily summed up as "we gave our employees more freedom because they're adults", and the megacorps respond by implementing some poo poo like "an employee that successfully complete an in person one on one with their manager gets to pick a toy out of the treasure box in the conference room (also the work week is now considered 50 hours)".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s weird that Stadia died just as cloud gaming appears to be ramping up — new handhelds centered on cloud gaming, Microsoft leaning hard into it, new competitors springing up.

That said I think gaming was just never a good fit for Google. It’s an advertising company. That’s why it struggles at literally outside that core business — Stadia, GCP, etc.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Stadia made a strange business choice --- it was basically trying to be a new console. Which is pretty nice if you want to play SomeNewGame without shelling out the bucks for a new XBox or whatever, except people who care about SomeNewGame probably already had a gaming device ?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I remember when it got announced, I assumed it was a sub and seemed interesting, but you had to buy the games? Stadia was dead on arrival.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I was listening to a podcast episode recently about the Japanese economic crash of the 90s. The outline was roughly:

1. The Japanese equivalent of the Fed cut interest rates super low
  2. Businesses put all of their money in real estate for guaranteed income
  3. Real estate became unsustainably expensive
  4. The government is paralyzed by dysfunction and cannot respond
  5. The "Fed" raises interest rates
  6. Property values fall
  7. Businesses are suddenly underwater on all of their real estate investments
  8. Businesses sell off real estate, further driving down the prices
  9. Crash

With so many companies moving to hot desking with the explicit intention of selling off their real estate, I am wondering if we are on step 8 of our own version of the above. Especially with the drive to bring workers back into the office, why else would companies be suddenly reducing their office space?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega Comrade posted:

I remember when it got announced, I assumed it was a sub and seemed interesting, but you had to buy the games? Stadia was dead on arrival.

Sony literally tried this like, five years earlier too. First with an idiotic limited time rental system, then a la carte purchases.

How is it that Microsoft is the only company that's figured out that what people want isa netflix system?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Stadia made a strange business choice --- it was basically trying to be a new console. Which is pretty nice if you want to play SomeNewGame without shelling out the bucks for a new XBox or whatever, except people who care about SomeNewGame probably already had a gaming device ?

Yeah, a new console with literally none of the features they promised at launch, including a SEARCH FUNCTION.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, a new console with literally none of the features they promised at launch, including a SEARCH FUNCTION.

It may have changed now, but for years the GMail phone app did not have a search function. Just totally bizarre given that they are a search company and the web interface had search, and also a huge impediment for normal use.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

VikingofRock posted:

I was listening to a podcast episode recently about the Japanese economic crash of the 90s. The outline was roughly:

6. Property values fall
  9. Crash

With so many companies moving to hot desking with the explicit intention of selling off their real estate, I am wondering if we are on step 8 of our own version of the above. Especially with the drive to bring workers back into the office, why else would companies be suddenly reducing their office space?
My favorite fact of the real estate crash in Japan was that it inspired Frezia from Dragon Ball Z.

But yeah, I think that companies are going to have to reconcile that WFH is a potentual reality for many people, and it doesn't matter how many times you say "Well, collaboration happens better in the office".

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

super cool that Sony took over OnLive only to put out an inferior game streaming service. remembering how good the OnLive experience was in Europe is as annoying as stumbling upon 20 year old color e-ink prototypes

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

*cough* Stadia *cough*

Comparing the money spent on Stadia to the money spent on GCP is comparing a thimble of water to niagara falls.

G+ is a better comparison in terms of company buy in, but that was never 10% of revenue

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neito posted:

My favorite fact of the real estate crash in Japan was that it inspired Frezia from Dragon Ball Z.

But yeah, I think that companies are going to have to reconcile that WFH is a potentual reality for many people, and it doesn't matter how many times you say "Well, collaboration happens better in the office".

"So does disease transmission!"

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's been a fair amount written in business circles about how the office economy is faring - inner-city office blocks with desirable amenities are doing the best, because companies need to tempt workers in and they are usually the easiest to access via transport links.

The utter collapse has been in big out of town office parks - the kind of places with just rows and rows of desks on the outskirts of town only accessible by car because Everyone Must Be In-Office. There's absolutely nothing there or any reason for workers to want to go there, so those are the types of offices which are just abandoned now and their value has plummeted.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

enahs posted:

I worked for a tech company that tried to bring in hotdesking a few years before corona but it was abandoned within a week because so many employees were literally spending hours each day arguing with each other, and complaining to managers/each other, over who got which chair every day. Not all of the chairs in the office were the same, which was apparently enough of a stumbling block to create complete chaos. This was a 200~ person office full of tech professionals aged 25-55 I should add too, not teenagers/college kids in a small start-up.

It was hilarious to watch unfold and be rapidly cancelled and I would expect much the same in most offices.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blut posted:

I worked for a tech company that tried to bring in hotdesking a few years before corona but it was abandoned within a week because so many employees were literally spending hours each day arguing with each other, and complaining to managers/each other, over who got which chair every day. Not all of the chairs in the office were the same, which was apparently enough of a stumbling block to create complete chaos. This was a 200~ person office full of tech professionals aged 25-55 I should add too, not teenagers/college kids in a small start-up.

It was hilarious to watch unfold and be rapidly cancelled and I would expect much the same in most offices.

loving with chairs is a very bad office diplomacy idea.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

loving in general is a very bad office diplomacy idea, regardless of what furniture you use

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also RIP if your office has enough variety in laptops that there is more than one docking station model needed to cover everyone. People will hoard/hide them and make half the desks useless for half of the staff.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Comparing the money spent on Stadia to the money spent on GCP is comparing a thimble of water to niagara falls.

G+ is a better comparison in terms of company buy in, but that was never 10% of revenue

The question, and I have no idea what the answer is, is the extent to which the senior executives are bought in to the sunk-cost fallacy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They tried hotdesking when they changed buildings at my mom's workplace a few years ago and it was a disaster, mostly because the people who decided it should be a thing had no concept of how much physical stuff people in their business rely on, from books on regulatory guidelines to boxes of project documents. Everyone just has cubicles now.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

enahs posted:

My company has moved over to WeWork, and while we have a speakeasy, a pop-up kitchen and a yoga studio, there is ~ 1 plug for every 10 seats, and USB plugs only in the phone booths. So if you have more than a couple calls in a row, you have to decide which one to take in the dining area where it's loud as gently caress. Literally all I want is a cubicle.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

withak posted:

Also RIP if your office has enough variety in laptops that there is more than one docking station model needed to cover everyone. People will hoard/hide them and make half the desks useless for half of the staff.

Sounds like a good thing actually because then they either have to pay you to do nothing or give up on in office

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WebDO posted:

Sounds like a good thing actually because then they either have to pay you to do nothing or give up on in office

We solved it by just ignoring the pleas to come to the office until the renovations were over and everyone had their permanent desks back.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I don't ever plan to return to full in office work, though most of my work is with people not in my office anyways which helps. Go in occasionally for big presentations and when there are people visiting? Sure. Go in to work from the office because "it's the office, you work there not at home" is just... no.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

loving with chairs is a great way to cause your company's insurance costs to go up as more and more workers suffer back problems, or have existing back problems exacerbated by constantly having to try to adjust chairs, if they can get useful chairs with the right support.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

VikingofRock posted:

6. Property values fall
  9. Crash

I feel like it's missing the part where Japan was basically ordered by the US to commit economic suicide before they became a threat to American hegemony. Or the tax rate increase from taking the advice of a one-eyed Yakuza.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like it's missing the part where Japan was basically ordered by the US to commit economic suicide before they became a threat to American hegemony. Or the tax rate increase from taking the advice of a one-eyed Yakuza.
This sounds like a dumb conspiracy theory. In my effort to be a better person, i'm trying to speak up when I hear dumb conspiracy theories, and "the US conspired to tell an advanced country to be self-destructive" sounds pretty unlikely.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Neito posted:

IIRC, didn't it inspire Yakuza 0 too? It's set in the 80's and the whole plot of that game revolves around a bunch of Yakuza factions brutalizing each-other over control of a literal empty lot in the middle of nowhere, because the wacky real-estate market of the time had overvalued it to some absolutely absurd amount of money.

Edit:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or the tax rate increase from taking the advice of a one-eyed Yakuza.

Majima is a man of the people, he knows what his country needs and has the depth perception to see it through. :colbert:

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 2, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

VikingofRock posted:

6. Property values fall
  9. Crash

Inshallah

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The question, and I have no idea what the answer is, is the extent to which the senior executives are bought in to the sunk-cost fallacy.

I think you know exactly the answer already.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

6. Property values fall
  9. Crash

Yeah, doesn't this describe the last twenty or thirty years leading up to the multiple raises in the interest rate last/this year

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, doesn't this describe the last twenty or thirty years leading up to the multiple raises in the interest rate last/this year

it's pretty much the cause of half the crashes in the last century

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

IIRC, didn't it inspire Yakuza 0 too? It's set in the 80's and the whole plot of that game revolves around a bunch of Yakuza factions brutalizing each-other over control of a literal empty lot in the middle of nowhere, because the wacky real-estate market of the time had overvalued it to some absolutely absurd amount of money.

Edit:

Majima is a man of the people, he knows what his country needs and has the depth perception to see it through. :colbert:

It's more that the Empty Lot is the last piece of a block which when acquired its owner can sell for indeed an absurd amount of money for a massive construction project. (and anyone who's played later games will be aware that the area is smack bang in the middle of what's now the Millennium Tower)

StumblyWumbly posted:

This sounds like a dumb conspiracy theory. In my effort to be a better person, i'm trying to speak up when I hear dumb conspiracy theories, and "the US conspired to tell an advanced country to be self-destructive" sounds pretty unlikely.

This seems a very credulous reaction. How is it a conspiracy? The US has well established political control over Japan starting with the occupation and literally creating their entire modern political system, and using its influence to economically cripple countries that pose the slightest threat, when not flat out staging fascist coups and rigging elections and etc etc. Just take a brief glance at Latin America, or post-Soviet Russia.

Of course, I suppose it makes sense that capitalist governments don't need to be forced to drive their economies off cliffs out of greed and lack of concern for consequences, but still, this is pretty settled fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Issaries posted:

Some of us don't live in a hellworld.
We got job schedules for weeks in advance and when the bosses ask "Can you come in [different time], I can just say 'No'."
No explanations needed.

check your privilege