Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if they lead with a number it's your duty to politely decline while telling them the salary is too low. help out your fellow touchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
like what if we are the fizzbuzz though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

think about it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

like what if we are the fizzbuzz though

fizz

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
fizz balls

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

buzz balls

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ligma fizz

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Question for interviewers:

If you gave a fizz buzz and the candidate made it say “ligma” and “balls”, would that be a power move?

Asking for a friend

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

Question for interviewers:

If you gave a fizz buzz and the candidate made it say “ligma” and “balls”, would that be a power move?

Asking for a friend

instahire imo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if the number is divisible by 3 AND 5 print "balls"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
3 AND 5 is 1 so that'd just say

balls
balls
balls
balls
balls
balls

of steel

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

code:
for i in range(1,16):
  print("balls")

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if they lead with a number it's your duty to politely decline while telling them the salary is too low. help out your fellow touchers

i did this last year after Refusing to Give a Number™ when i got the offer

they couldn’t counter with anything better after I told them what they’re offering is less than my current total comp, and in the end politely declined

a day later some employee at one of those firms that helps megacorps set salary ranges checked out my linkedin profile

hope the dudes that work there get some extra
figgies, they were cool

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

AWWNAW posted:

I haven’t gotten much recruiter mail lately but this week got hit up by 3 and they surprisingly led with with salary ranges (all pay cuts) and each was some form of “hybrid” in office 1-3 days a week. maybe some Chicago companies see an opportunity to push offers down and people back into offices

A theory posited in one of the BFC threads was that companies that overhired (both in terms of headcount and salary) are forcing return to office onto existing employees in an attempt to browbeat people into leaving and drive salaries down by flooding the market with applicants. Imagine they're testing the waters with what applicants will take. Don't give 'em an inch, and push back on the low expectations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

if that's true then upper management is just as out of touch as ever. any middle manager who's halfway competent will cover for their well executing employees who refuse to come into the office. likewise under the middle managers who don't have the spine to pull that off it'll only result in purging all the talent that knows they can find another gig that will actually respect them. in addition to that all those people who got the axe *will* talk amongst their friends and associates and it WILL poison the well that is their brand name, further ensuring the only talent they'll be able to acquire in the future will be the useless or the desperate

i say let them. better for those lovely places to accelerate their own demise than for them to accidentally limp along while tricking people for another few years

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

to quote cedrick daniels from the wire, 'You show loyalty, they learn loyalty. You show them it’s about the work, it’ll be about the work. You show them it’s about some other kind of game, then that’s the game they’ll play.'

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if that's true then upper management is just as out of touch as ever. any middle manager who's halfway competent will cover for their well executing employees who refuse to come into the office. likewise under the middle managers who don't have the spine to pull that off it'll only result in purging all the talent that knows they can find another gig that will actually respect them. in addition to that all those people who got the axe *will* talk amongst their friends and associates and it WILL poison the well that is their brand name, further ensuring the only talent they'll be able to acquire in the future will be the useless or the desperate

i say let them. better for those lovely places to accelerate their own demise than for them to accidentally limp along while tricking people for another few years

This is what happened at an office near me that employs like 10’s of thousands of people for one of the biggest banks on the planet. I don’t even know IT people over there, middle management in comms and marketing had to basically ignore the HQs return to office demands to stop the bleeding because they couldn’t manage to backfill and everyone was leaving so quickly it decimated a lot of their teams lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

one with two wheels and pedals

i would if i was closer to my work and if it wasn't insanely sangerous to bike in my area lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

insanely sangerous

this mf said sangerous

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It means "filled with blood"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

got a good offer at a new place that has a 4 day work week. hell yes. better health benefits too.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

can't believe you got a 32h work week that fully pays and has no gotchas

congratulations!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

One weird trick to get recruiters to leave you alone: trying to find PM work in tech from a non tech background

:smith:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

polyester concept posted:

got a good offer at a new place that has a 4 day work week. hell yes. better health benefits too.

goongrats. i just shot out an application to a 4 day place because of this post.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theflyingexecutive posted:

One weird trick to get recruiters to leave you alone: trying to find PM work in tech from a non tech background

:smith:

i'm not looking for PM work but i do have a tech background (though not tech education)

lemme just say... i completely feel you lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm not looking for PM work but i do have a tech background (though not tech education)

lemme just say... i completely feel you lol

trying to redeem all my soft skills but they may as well be chuck e cheese tickets

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
whats your pipeline look like? how many resumes outbound, cold and warm, how many if any phone screens, etc?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

In response to using LinkedIn's Easy Apply feature I received this:

external maersk recruiter posted:

SW Engineer (JAVA)- MAERSK (Copenhagen - Hybrid)

Hello champagne posting :-) I received your cv, thank you very much! It looks interesting!

Could you please apply:

https://maersk.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/Maersk_Manual/job/DK---Copenhagen/Software-Engineer--Backend_R53800

Thank you very much!

Dipshit Recruiter
Senior Information Technology Recruitment Sourcer

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

it's not the recruiter's fault their management is bad.

also i think that happens because there are legal questions asked in the formal application process that for whatever reason don't get asked on the linkedin easy apply.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theflyingexecutive posted:

trying to redeem all my soft skills but they may as well be chuck e cheese tickets

yeah seriously, i feel like having a bunch of experience in the industry, learned knowledge, demonstrated knowledge, etc. ... just isn't enough. it's a soul crushing feeling

i really just started applying in earnest over the weekend, but i put in 24 25 applications so far and only got a bite on one

and it's in albany :smithicide:

admittedly it's a bit early to say i'm screwed for sure but having anxiety already isn't helping lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i really, really don't wanna use linkedin but i guess i might not have much choice

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

also i really, really don't wanna use linkedin but i guess i might not have much choice

why don't you want to use linkedin?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

linkedin is great and found me both my last and current job

like just fell into my lap requiring no effort at all on my part

not saying it'll be that easy for you but that's where almost everyone is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

KidDynamite posted:

why don't you want to use linkedin?

in short, it's social media, which i generally avoid like the plague

i understand most places are using that as basically the recruiting platform though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i simply had my old manager poach me when he moved jobs, you should try doing that op

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!

Beeftweeter posted:

i understand most places are using that as basically the recruiting platform though

Yeah I really don't want to put a public profile out there either.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

add former coworkers, put your resume in your profile, and never ever look at the home feed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

fair enough. i just ignore the 'social' aspect of it because it's filled with the weirdest people in the world who for some reason find the concept of posting to linkedin compelling. just fire it up every now and then, check the inbox, exchange pleasantries with (or ignore) recruiters, then sign back out again. easy peasy

yeah tl;dr

Asleep Style posted:

add former coworkers, put your resume in your profile, and never ever look at the home feed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also it's pretty good for checking in with old coworkers to get the scoop on the continued meltdown of past gigs. or when your network is large enough because you job hop for every raise and promotion, get the inside scoop of a possible company you're interviewing with