Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmafy_v8g8&t=8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

No, it was always unjust and against the charter, but it’s nice to see how the UNGA votes. Just turns out big powerful countries have a habit of saying the UNGA doesn’t count and invade smaller countries anyway.

I mean, there's no good reason it should count? You're dismissing "it's stupid to weight countries with huge populations the same as countries with tiny ones" like it's some inherently absurd point, when it's actually very obviously a correct/true one. And an even truer one would be to acknowledge that countries governments usually aren't reflective of the interests of their people and that the support of some countries should be viewed as an actively bad thing (if the majority of rich countries support something and poorer countries oppose it, it's probably not good!).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BadOptics posted:

People think GW1 or beating the barely existing Iraqi army in GW2 is the "norm" now. Anything more than 100 deaths (caused by your own forces) is a major defeat.

hmmm i wonder if its possible that theres a sort of trade off at play here where by blowing the poo poo out of civilian infrastructure and areas minimizes damage to your own forces at the expense of committing crimes against humanity and making rapprochement with locals impossible over the long term

nah pretty sure russians are just big dumb poopyheads who are only restrained in their bloodlust because theyre completely incompetent at killing people

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Some Guy TT posted:

hmmm i wonder if its possible that theres a sort of trade off at play here where by blowing the poo poo out of civilian infrastructure and areas minimizes damage to your own forces at the expense of committing crimes against humanity and making rapprochement with locals impossible over the long term

nah pretty sure russians are just big dumb poopyheads who are only restrained in their bloodlust because theyre completely incompetent at killing people

Or perhaps they hosed up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Perhaps if Russia didn't want to lose 500 people a day they should have had a better plan than losing a large portion of their elite units in a failed air drop day 1 and spray painting Z on the side of VW Bugs before driving them into an active warzone

Btw, that VDV unit clearly survived and was relieved by naval infantry, it was largely a myth and that is backed up by West Point.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Perhaps if Russia didn't want to lose 500 people a day they should have had a better plan than losing a large portion of their elite units in a failed air drop day 1 and spray painting Z on the side of VW Bugs before driving them into an active warzone

* citation needed

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hmmm....yes I was obviously saying that every action by the Russians was correct and good and not commenting on the fact that two modern armies based on volume of fire is gonna look different than riding through the desert taking potshots at "insurgents" with nothing more than AKs.. Though I don't recall any air drops occuring in the past month so maybe you're talking about a different conflict.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ardennes posted:

Btw, that VDV unit clearly survived and was relieved by naval infantry, it was largely a myth and that is backed up by West Point.

Good call I just educated myself

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, there's no good reason it should count? You're dismissing "it's stupid to weight countries with huge populations the same as countries with tiny ones" like it's some inherently absurd point, when it's actually very obviously a correct/true one. And an even truer one would be to acknowledge that countries governments usually aren't reflective of the interests of their people and that the support of some countries should be viewed as an actively bad thing (if the majority of rich countries support something and poorer countries oppose it, it's probably not good!).

And yup. Why do you think poorer countries yawn and kick up their feet when you start lecturing them about how we need to defend common values and ethics and morals? They just saw what the International Community did re: COVID vaccines

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BadOptics posted:

Hmmm....yes I was obviously saying that every action by the Russians was correct and good and not commenting on the fact that two modern armies based on volume of fire is gonna look different than riding through the desert taking potshots at "insurgents" with nothing more than AKs.. Though I don't recall any air drops occuring in the past month so maybe you're talking about a different conflict.

He was talking about the Hostolmel airport.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the Russians have lost vehicles, but there really hasn’t been a sign it has been that bad. If anything recently it seems like they have outflanked some Ukrainian forces that extended themselves. I think it is more of a sign that things aren’t going well for the Ukrainians, that is usually when the more bombastic stories start occurring ala the Ghost of Kiev reference.

Ames said the Russians don't seem to have any offensive juice left so I'll have to expect a Russian breakthrough in the near future.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Good call I just educated myself

I can link to the podcast but the VDV took losses on approach but reformed and seemed to take a defensive position in several nearby buildings and were relived. It was clear there was bad Intel and they had been sent into a defended area. It wasn’t the cleanest operation but the VDV actually did well considering what they were given.

Basically, the General staff didn’t have the time to put together a proper plan and the initial Russian attack pushed forward despite itself essentially. Some Russian units failed and other succeeded but it doesn’t seem like it was dependent on the Intel they were given.

As for why the Kremlin did everything so quarter assed, it is a good question.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

He was talking about the Hostolmel airport.

I know; but the discussion is about recent footage/battles. He's just trying to do some dumb "own" because if you mention footage maybe not be telling the whole story then obv you think the Russians are 100% good and led by Ender Wiggin.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Mar 1, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BadOptics posted:

I know; but the discussion is about recent footage/battles. He's just trying to do some dumb "own" because if you mention footage maybe not be telling the whole story then obv you think the Russians are 100% good and lead by Ender Wiggin.

I have only really seen heavily edited footage which believes me that there is plenty of puffing (if you got the footage, you show it). Again, I think there is a intelligence failure as it is clear that the Ukrainians are heavily fortifying Vuhledar and the initial Russia attack was beaten back. The Russians have rightfully withdrawn and moved to attack a flank but I doubt they can take the city without reinforcements.

The failure isn’t just with local commanders but higher ups that aren’t devoting necessary assets, especially artillery. The Ukrainians need to be blasted from that position if the Russians are going to move forward. It isn’t a lightly held position.

I do think there is a failure in the Russian military to adequately act on intel (it isn’t even satellites, there are plenty of drones around).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Mar 1, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isentropy posted:

And yup. Why do you think poorer countries yawn and kick up their feet when you start lecturing them about how we need to defend common values and ethics and morals? They just saw what the International Community did re: COVID vaccines

I mean, I understand the point mlmp was trying to make (which is actually similar to the one I'm making, though from a perspective I think is wrong) - that you shouldn't give larger (which usually translates to "more powerful") countries more weight than less powerful ones. But this is a very superficial way of defining what makes countries powerful, given that real power lies in a US-centered network of countries (with a very large number of countries of all sizes essentially just being extensions of the US itself and reflecting it's ideology/goals in the UN).

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1630629661385342979
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1630530380859154433

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, I understand the point mlmp was trying to make (which is actually similar to the one I'm making, though from a perspective I think is wrong) - that you shouldn't give larger (which usually translates to "more powerful") countries more weight than less powerful ones. But this is a very superficial way of defining what makes countries powerful, given that real power lies in a US-centered network of countries (with a very large number of countries of all sizes essentially just being extensions of the US itself and reflecting it's ideology/goals in the UN).

I think that for any given resolution, the specific nature of the question would factor into how one views the suite of responses. Like for something regarding sea level rise, you'd probably want to weight highly the opinions of island nations as well as other countries that have low lying population centers, because the resolution will have a higher impact on them. Or in a condemnation of warlike behavior, the nations adjacent to a belligerent would be given more attention, since they are ostensibly more at risk. I think that in general going by population is probably going to be a safe first pass but certainly I can see why you'd want different weightings for specific resolutions.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

celadon posted:

I think that for any given resolution, the specific nature of the question would factor into how one views the suite of responses. Like for something regarding sea level rise, you'd probably want to weight highly the opinions of island nations as well as other countries that have low lying population centers, because the resolution will have a higher impact on them. Or in a condemnation of warlike behavior, the nations adjacent to a belligerent would be given more attention, since they are ostensibly more at risk. I think that in general going by population is probably going to be a safe first pass but certainly I can see why you'd want different weightings for specific resolutions.

The global south is where the worst effects of material shortages really do damage, when various European nations that are more adjacent increase their predatory consumption of resources to cover for what the war has disrupted.

Physical location is a poor lone metric for the blowback of war in a parasitism based global economy.

Just like the thoughts and opinions of a bunch of wealthy Americans living on the coasts (re: sea levels) is hardly worth respecting considering they'll wield their wealth to put someone else under their boot when the crisis gets too real.

The337th has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Mar 1, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well, here's an easy one: The Ukrainians lost more Canadian M777's (probably most of the 32 at this point) since we donated them than Canada lost in the entirety of Task Force Kandahar from 2006-2011 (zero).

Comparing this to any of the wars we've been involved in since Korea is absurd.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Thank you, that's a very good way to describe what I've been thinking.

Canada is an independent country, jokes aside, but for a variety of reasons the country I live follows US policy to a T. Economic integration and US media saturation and [insert long FF post here] explain it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://euobserver.com/nordics/156770
orban stays winning

quote:

Hungary links Nato vote and EU money in quid pro quo

Truga has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Mar 1, 2023

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

Vuhledar was a mess but this is definitely someone counting vehicles three times over or something

I do wonder if the Ukrainians casualty claims is raw data, or if they're actually even higher and some editor tries to make them reasonable before publishing them.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

Thank you, that's a very good way to describe what I've been thinking.

Canada is an independent country, jokes aside, but for a variety of reasons the country I live follows US policy to a T. Economic integration and US media saturation and [insert long FF post here] explain it

Freedom From Defense means that we’re blackmailed with the Americans doing “whatever they feel is necessary” to “defend themselves” if we don’t satisfy them. Some general called into CBC to explain why an American F-22 shooting something down over Canada is fine based on that principle: In the absence of a Canadian aircraft to do it, the Yanks would do it anyway, so better we have the fig leaf of NORAD so we can pretend we allowed it.

It’s worth bringing up in the context of Ukraine because the understanding in all of this policy is if Canada withdrew from NORAD, NATO or God forbid entertained a foreign alliance or basing, it’s a certainty the Americans would invade us. Canada can not reverse any of our agreements with the US because that hangs over us.

Somehow, Ukraine and Russia is somehow viewed differently?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they have begun their offensive

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

the resolution by the UNGA showed ukrainian support superiority but not ukrainian support supremacy

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I'm starting a Canadian nationalist movement based around the Newfie language, our shared Catholic faith, and the enshrinement of Canadian national heroes (the guys who killed the Fenians in 1866)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm starting a Canadian nationalist movement based around the Newfie language, our shared Catholic faith, and the enshrinement of Canadian national heroes (the guys who killed the Fenians in 1866)

Dreams do come true 🥹

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

America declared itself to be the hemispheric hegemon and has acted that way forever.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Btw, that VDV unit clearly survived and was relieved by naval infantry,
Wait what? At Hostomel? Why did they use marines?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Hey can you share something about the author and why we should read his work?

Related:
please stop recommending/quoting the weird Jews did 911 Covid is a hoax dutch guy.

Do you have a link you could share about de Ploeg's Jews did 9/11 position?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

All People of The Book are sons of Abraham, so in a way Bush, the Saudi Royals, and Bin Laden are all Jews, the inheritors of the Covenant and Law of Moses.

Of course this also means Jewish people did the Holocaust and Holodomor, but some people already believed that, at least the latter, anyways.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Weka posted:

It's Kees van der Pijl, author of "Flight MH17, Ukraine and the new Cold War". See e.g. https://www.academia.edu/38701130

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Leandros posted:

Yup

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Leandros posted:

naval infantry can go on land too, it just costs more movement points

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Freedom From Defense means that we’re blackmailed with the Americans doing “whatever they feel is necessary” to “defend themselves” if we don’t satisfy them. Some general called into CBC to explain why an American F-22 shooting something down over Canada is fine based on that principle: In the absence of a Canadian aircraft to do it, the Yanks would do it anyway, so better we have the fig leaf of NORAD so we can pretend we allowed it.

It’s worth bringing up in the context of Ukraine because the understanding in all of this policy is if Canada withdrew from NORAD, NATO or God forbid entertained a foreign alliance or basing, it’s a certainty the Americans would invade us. Canada can not reverse any of our agreements with the US because that hangs over us.

Somehow, Ukraine and Russia is somehow viewed differently?

According to a few sovereigntist I talk to, Quebec would be able to have it's own foreign policy so the solution is obviously to split Canada into 13 countries.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

supersnowman posted:

According to a few sovereigntist I talk to, Quebec would be able to have it's own foreign policy so the solution is obviously to split Canada into 13 countries.

Ah the ol' Quexit.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
America would have to bleed pretty bad for a long time before it could be contested by adjacent neighbors.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

The Ukranians are calling it quits and giving up on Bakhmut. hope it was worth it for them to hold on this long...

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/1630892053763706884?s=20

Oh? looks like C-SPAM was right :smugdon:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

aaaand the msnbc guy who did a segment from crimea was put on myrotvorets, because of course he was

(not linking to the site, because they put really graphic gore poo poo on the front page)

i looked up the site on wikipedia.. interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

quote:

Orbán's irregular behaviour made Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan look classy by comparison, she indicated.

Erdoğan also made unpalatable demands of Finland and Sweden in return for Nato ratification, Vadai said — but at least Turkey wrote them down in a trilateral memorandum, which created ministerial and technical-level talks to resolve issues.

they may have asked for kurdish heads on pikes but at least they had :decorum: lmfao