Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The subway shooter who dropped their wallet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

there are still a ton of youtube videos up with alphabet soup titles that show cops just opening the doors and welcoming protestors in, but we have to forget that because we need to think cops are good for some reason

That is not why cops are bad.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Weka posted:

I wouldn't say it's the main reason, but I'm not exactly a fan of how most of them instinctively took the side of a bunch of barely veiled and in some cases not veiled at all white supremacists on Jan 6. If nothing else, the fact that the Capitol Police couldn't do their one actual job should have been proof that they are a waste of money. But instead they failed upward into even more funding.

FreeRangeHexagon has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Mar 1, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Weka posted:

"why cops are bad" is not a list that is one reason long

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

I wouldn't say it's the main reason, but I'm not exactly a fan of how most of them instinctively took the side of a bunch of barely veiled and in some cases not veiled at all white supremacists on Jan 6. If nothing else, the fact that the Capitol Police couldn't do their one actual job should have been proof that they are a waste of money. But instead they failed upward into even more funding.

Should have held up those "DISPERSE OR WE OPEN FIRE" signs like the Brits used to show to anyone in the Empire who complained

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"why cops are bad" is not a list that is one reason long

oh yeah? “they’re cops” :smug:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

That made me remember the guy who's old used truck still emblazoned with his company's phone number somehow ended up getting commandeered by ISIS

ISIS has good taste in anime

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

MikeCrotch posted:

Should have held up those "DISPERSE OR WE OPEN FIRE" signs like the Brits used to show to anyone in the Empire who complained

Or, y'know, at least forced the protestors to go through the effort of breaking the doors down themselves. As they would have had to do if the cops hadn't been there.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Or, y'know, at least forced the protestors to go through the effort of breaking the doors down themselves. As they would have had to do if the cops hadn't been there.

those brave officers stopped the destruction of public property :patriot:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Lib and let die posted:

Until 2020, the full and official name of Rhode Island was The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations

I wanted to say ahh it probably isn't actually connected with slavery so I googled it and it's 100% slavery, Rhode Island made literally all of its money from slaves and slaving and slavery. Oops!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm glad other people's brains are full of Dilbert trivia
does anyone remember the part where he tries to disprove gravity

it's funny because I remember as a kid thinking that I might be more emotionally adjusted than this guy and I was right

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Yes, the expanding Earth theory. It was in his book, which I shamefully had.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Animal-Mother posted:

Yes, the expanding Earth theory. It was in his book, which I shamefully had.
lol at "his book"

it was in The Dilbert Future, I only owned The Dilbert Principle and Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I had a Dilbert themed birthday at age 9.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

War and Pieces posted:

Lol owned

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

drat a 9 year old kid being into Dilbert is so funny, no hate whatsoever

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
his "theory" of gravity is the first thing i think of whenever he shows up in the news

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I definitely had the Dilbert principle book in my preteens and it honestly wasn't that bad!!

People absolutely get promoted to keep them from breaking poo poo in the engineer mines

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That's what is so funny about that guy, Dilbert was full of poo poo that was recognizably pro worker and in the 90s was rather progressively so. This was before the dot com boom, back when engineering was a decent reliable office job, but was not seen as big money and was treated as grunt work by people affiliated with management (sales & marketing, hr, etc).

He would write these little chuck berry level essays in the Dilbert book about things like how working hard for your boss never pays off and you should do the minimum instead. It's such an embarrassing thing to say but it was the first exposure I had to any idea other than America's pro capital propaganda (I was 10 ok).

It's crazy that he's been reduced to this. I'd say it was the money but honestly I think this is the default trajectory of an American

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

almost 3 years ago the city of Chicago was on lockdown and white people were posting memes about how badass Lori Lightfoot was in their windows.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Beastie posted:

almost 3 years ago the city of Chicago was on lockdown and white people were posting memes about how badass Lori Lightfoot was in their windows.
Then she tried to get liquor stores to close at 10PM but settled for midnight. Pure evil.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Liquor stores should never close

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Remulak posted:

Then she tried to get liquor stores to close at 10PM but settled for midnight. Pure evil.

the stated objective was that a lot of liquor stores in poor neighborhoods were being used as wildcat bars, but it kept going well after bars opened (because the illinois restaurant association was basically lightfoot's only friends)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
back in the early 2010s I was at a union convention in Chicago and a very drunk very old man was standing on the street corner outside the hall shaking his fist at one of those ubiquitous police cameras and screaming 'we're gonna string Rahm Emanuel up on meat hooks' and it's to this day my strongest memory of Chicago

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

30.5 Days posted:

That's what is so funny about that guy, Dilbert was full of poo poo that was recognizably pro worker and in the 90s was rather progressively so. This was before the dot com boom, back when engineering was a decent reliable office job, but was not seen as big money and was treated as grunt work by people affiliated with management (sales & marketing, hr, etc).

He would write these little chuck berry level essays in the Dilbert book about things like how working hard for your boss never pays off and you should do the minimum instead. It's such an embarrassing thing to say but it was the first exposure I had to any idea other than America's pro capital propaganda (I was 10 ok).

It's crazy that he's been reduced to this. I'd say it was the money but honestly I think this is the default trajectory of an American

I want to read an essay about the virtues of piss by Chuck Berry

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Dave Barry?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't she raise the bridges for the first time in like a century during BLM protests

Edit: yes, and the last time the bridges were moved for crowd control instead of river traffic was 1855 https://theappeal.org/chicago-mayor-bridges-protest/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

chuck it's your cousin dave. dave berry. you know that new joke you were looking for, listen to this: Walter Mondale is called "Fritz" because there is no Norwegian name for "Peckerhead."

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

In Training posted:

Didn't she raise the bridges for the first time in like a century during BLM protests

Edit: yes, and the last time the bridges were moved for crowd control instead of river traffic was 1855 https://theappeal.org/chicago-mayor-bridges-protest/

yeah she raised the bridges and stopped trains from leaving downtown to kettle protesters (and anyone who was working downtown)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

oh wait yeah lmao

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
god i'm loving stupid lmfao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

god i'm loving stupid lmfao

yeah you sure are a DING A LING

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

drat a 9 year old kid being into Dilbert is so funny, no hate whatsoever

wishing to be an office drone when you grow up, then once you do, the open plan has replaced cubicles, dress codes are out and your boss pretends to be just another coworker. the Dilbert fantasy from your youth can no longer materialize

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
don't I know it...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

wishing to be an office drone when you grow up, then once you do, the open plan has replaced cubicles, dress codes are out and your boss pretends to be just another coworker. the Dilbert fantasy from your youth can no longer materialize

Someone told me that the bald guy with glasses was based on a real guy the author knew who just hung around and never did anything and that kind of guy is absolutely dead, it sucks

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

more falafel please posted:

yeah she raised the bridges and stopped trains from leaving downtown to kettle protesters (and anyone who was working downtown)

Yeah I took a walk from my apartment to the bridges and it was super surreal. I tried uploading a picture I took of the river but Awful isn't cooperating.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Because you'll be in jail."

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

30.5 Days posted:

Someone told me that the bald guy with glasses was based on a real guy the author knew who just hung around and never did anything and that kind of guy is absolutely dead, it sucks

dude owns

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm not dead, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

randomly thought about Theresa May and had a little smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypGOTDoiLI