Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BurningBeard posted:

What do the chi phases actually effect? I don't think the game bothered to explain that.

The 5 elements? A lot. There's the general theming of each being strong to and weak against another, but you can also remove buffs and debuffs by using an opposing debuff/buff respectively. Each elemental status also reduces the resistance to another element, though I can't remember which.

It goes Wood>Earth>Water>Fire>Metal>Wood. Wood is Lightning, Water is Frost, Fire is Burn, Metal is Poison, I can't remember Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

in terms of actual mechanical bonuses for each phase:
  • wood: increases HP, decreases the amount of Spirit lost when attacked, and increases the duration of wizardry spells you apply
  • fire: increases Spirit gain from attacking, and decreases the cost of martial arts attacks
  • earth: increases carry weight, and increases the amount of Spirit gained from deflecting
  • metal: decreases the degen rate of your high Spirit bar, and decreases the cost of wizardry spells
  • water: increases your stealth skill (making enemies take longer to notice you), and decreases the Spirit cost of deflecting

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vermain posted:

in terms of actual mechanical bonuses for each phase:
  • wood: increases HP, decreases the amount of Spirit lost when attacked, and increases the duration of wizardry spells you apply
  • fire: increases Spirit gain from attacking, and decreases the cost of martial arts attacks
  • earth: increases carry weight, and increases the amount of Spirit gained from deflecting
  • metal: decreases the degen rate of your high Spirit bar, and decreases the cost of wizardry spells
  • water: increases your stealth skill (making enemies take longer to notice you), and decreases the Spirit cost of deflecting

Water also raises ranged weapon damage. kinda seems like the gimmick choice, I don’t see it competing much with the bonuses from the other phases. Maybe the water spells will be really good idk

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Oh that much I knew. Your annoying companion keeps saying something about chi changing during the boss fight. Is that just fluff or is there like a dominant element that changes?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

Oh that much I knew. Your annoying companion keeps saying something about chi changing during the boss fight. Is that just fluff or is there like a dominant element that changes?

You are completely misunderstanding that voice line. It's a Chinese flavored warning that the boss changes as you wear his hp down.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Calidus posted:

I am correct that review embargo lifts tomorrow?

You are indeed. At 12:00 CET.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

satanic splash-back posted:

You are completely misunderstanding that voice line. It's a Chinese flavored warning that the boss changes as you wear his hp down.

I mean it's a reasonable thing to wonder since virtue interactions are part of the game. Also I don't think it's anything to do with health since I've heard it at the very start of the fight, too. Either way that answers my question.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Water also raises ranged weapon damage. kinda seems like the gimmick choice, I don’t see it competing much with the bonuses from the other phases. Maybe the water spells will be really good idk

If Water gets the slow debuff spells and they work like they do in Nioh, then yeah, it'll probably have some serious utility.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You are indeed. At 12:00 CET.

Hope the reviews are good, but I am buying no matter since I can tell from my taste I will love this just like I did with Nioh/Stranger of Paradise.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

goferchan posted:

If Water gets the slow debuff spells and they work like they do in Nioh, then yeah, it'll probably have some serious utility.

The little frost bolt spell is basically spammable sloth

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Hope the reviews are good, but I am buying no matter since I can tell from my taste I will love this just like I did with Nioh/Stranger of Paradise.

it's one of those games where i'm genuinely just gonna buy it regardless of what reviews say, because it almost perfectly hits the notes of the kind of game i like: control is fluid as hell, deflecting is incredibly satisfying, there's a kickass character creator that doesn't require a PhD in anatomy to make a reasonable looking human from, and it's three kingdoms with even more fantasy elements than usual

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do we have any idea of what naturally synergistic builds exist and how you'd assemble them? So, for instance, if you want to be a ninja in Nioh 2, you'd focus on Skill and Dexterity and use kusarigamas. If you want to be a big beefy warrior, you'd ficus on Strength and Stamina and use axes and odachis. A paladin would be a splitstaff-wielder focused on Strength and Magic, while a glass cannon wizard would be a Skill/Magic build with a switchglaive. What's the equivalent of that in Wo Long?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Do we have any idea of what naturally synergistic builds exist and how you'd assemble them? So, for instance, if you want to be a ninja in Nioh 2, you'd focus on Skill and Dexterity and use kusarigamas. If you want to be a big beefy warrior, you'd ficus on Strength and Stamina and use axes and odachis. A paladin would be a splitstaff-wielder focused on Strength and Magic, while a glass cannon wizard would be a Skill/Magic build with a switchglaive. What's the equivalent of that in Wo Long?

just brainstorming here, but for those archetypes:
  • ninja would be Water/Fire, probably with dual swords. water increases stealth and has both invisibility spells and super speed as part of its arsenal, while fire has self damage boosts that you can use to create massive sneak attacks or ranged headshots
  • chunky warrior would be Earth/Wood, likely with one of the big club weapons or the glaive. earth has a bunch of defense and poise-boosting spells, and can eventually get a temporary shield spell, while wood decreases the amount of spirit you lose from being attacked, allowing you to bulk up with heavy armor and just start straight up trading without worrying as much about deflecting non-critical attacks
  • paladin would be Wood/Metal, likely with bronze sword or cudgel. wood has a bunch of party buffs, including one of the few ways to heal outside of the dragon pot, and can create defensive fields. metal decreases the cost of spells, and it also features a couple of useful enemy debuffs outside the usual elemental debuffs, so you can mix up spellcasting more with your usual attacks and buffs without worrying about running dry as much
  • glass cannon caster would be Fire/Metal or possibly Metal/Fire, likely with the cudgel. fire's self damage boosts allow you to squeeze more power out of each cast, while metal's decreased wizardy costs and high spirit maintenance makes it easier to whack a guy a couple of times and then back off to start casting
there are some potentially interesting combos outside of those, though: the elemental debuffs all lower a specific damage resistance, so a caster with Fire/Water could potentially get more damage out of cycling the two at the cost of losing out on Metal's spell cost reduction. similarly, Water decreasing the amount of spirit that deflecting costs means that you could pair it with a weapon with high Spirit gain on deflecting like the cudgel and use that as your primary means of gaining Spirit for a caster instead of using Metal or Fire for spell/martial art cost reduction. i think there's a lot of character building opportunities to wring out of those relatively simple elements

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 1, 2023

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Wood is going to be very interesting to see how exactly it affects other spells and it’s HP scaling. I could I see Wood + X builds being very popular, since it you get a lot of benefit without it using a spell slot.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Metal and Water seem like the least useful outside of specific builds so I’ll just be focusing on Wood, Fire, and Earth until I decide on something better. From people with early copies it sounds like respeccing is easy(and free) and you unlock it after beating the 5th main mission so don’t feel like you’re locked into a build.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Discord/confusion/chaos doesn’t exist does it?

Edit: please have Nioh 2 equipment sets

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Correct but each status also makes the target more vulnerable to another status so there’s some combo potential there. And Metal has a spell that consumes all statuses on a target and does damage depending on how many you consume

EDIT: Lightning(Wood) lowers resistance to Poison(Metal) which lowers resistance to Burn(Fire) which lowers resistance to Chill(Water) which lowers resistance to Earth which lowers resistance to Lightning(Wood)

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 1, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The metal tree had a bunch of status debuffs and also made the damage number on my bigass club weapon go up so that was my favorite.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don’t suppose anyone knows how strong those generic metal debuffs are? I mean the ones one the right that just make the target deal less damage or take more.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calidus posted:

please have Nioh 2 equipment sets

there's at least one in the demo, so i suspect there's gonna be more later

Mzbundifund posted:

Don’t suppose anyone knows how strong those generic metal debuffs are? I mean the ones one the right that just make the target deal less damage or take more.

no one's done enough testing to know, though i imagine they'll be reasonably substantial (like maybe 15-20%)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Vermain posted:

there's at least one in the demo, so i suspect there's gonna be more later

no one's done enough testing to know, though i imagine they'll be reasonably substantial (like maybe 15-20%)

I meant the equipment manager UI that let you switch builds.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm guessing Water/Metal is your ranged skirmisher, crippling enemies with damage and debuffs before going in for the kill. Not unlike a Skill/Magic caster in Nioh.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m not sure you can really go full caster in this game since the best way to gain spirit back is by fighting with enemies

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think maybe I spent too much time doing this not to post it somewhere.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mEfIWvLXGu8

Surprised that he ended up being harder than the first demo considering how more generous the deflect window is now, but he is far less amenable to constant aggression compared to the last time since he now likes to counter or followup with certain things comparatively.

Also would probably have helped to figure out sooner that somebody has gotten some Bluetooth thing in this apartment building that has randomly wreaked havoc on some of my controllers; did a lot better once I had it go through USB.

Also I want to say I was initially annoyed with dodge and deflect being on the same button, but it means if you try to parry like Sekiro where you mash it again because your first time was too early, sometimes it means you accidentally dodge the attack. And then you can also accidentally deflect when trying to dodge. It ends up feeling pretty good to have all the evasion options on the same button.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

I’m not sure you can really go full caster in this game since the best way to gain spirit back is by fighting with enemies

Sounds like Stranger of Paradise, where mages have a quite distinctive (and deadly) playstyle.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The first boss was very hard for me because his stretchy arms really messed up my sense of timing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

the intent is to require you to still engage with melee-ranged combat to some degree, but there's a sufficient number of build tools that you can probably get by solely by gaining spirit via deflection if you so choose

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

The first boss was very hard for me because his stretchy arms really messed up my sense of timing

Sounds really obvious but it was a big aha moment for me when I was first getting into soulslikes and realized that your distance from the enemy changes the parry timing, and that keeping consistent spacing therefore makes it much easier to consistently parry reach attacks like that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

moving into the direction of the incoming attack helps a lot, too, since non-stationary deflections have a short hop that can push you into the hitbox. might not seem like much, but with how short the frame windows really are, that extra couple of frames of advantage can be the difference between a deflect and getting clobbered

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

the intent is to require you to still engage with melee-ranged combat to some degree, but there's a sufficient number of build tools that you can probably get by solely by gaining spirit via deflection if you so choose

And Water makes you better at deflecting, so yeah, I'm thinking Water/Metal is definitely the build for ranged harassment and only closing in when you have an overwhelming advantage.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Btw did they ever say what wolong means, it sounds like a delicious chinese noodle variation to me. Ya I'd like to order some wolong with szechuan sauce.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ask your mom. ;)

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Uhh hmmm…

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Assuming the pc issues get sorted out I’m still really looking forward to this game. I tried out a lot of the weapons at this point but I think I’m still going to just stick with the sword cause it feels right

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Ulio posted:

Btw did they ever say what wolong means, it sounds like a delicious chinese noodle variation to me. Ya I'd like to order some wolong with szechuan sauce.

I dunno, but when I googled the word and put it on image search, I just got tons of pictures of cute panda's. Pretty good word to google imo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

"long" (龙) is the chinese dragon, which presumably plays a big part in the story, but "wo" is ambiguous (could be laying/crouching, sleeping, or possibly even hidden), and i'm not confident enough in my chinese to say outright

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dryzen posted:

Assuming the pc issues get sorted out I’m still really looking forward to this game. I tried out a lot of the weapons at this point but I think I’m still going to just stick with the sword cause it feels right
Considering that the Microsoft Store version is so different as to have exclusive options (namely a toggle for Xbox One matchmaking and one for Xbox Series X|S matchmaking) and reportedly wasn't capped at 60 fps, there's reason for hope.

The game's official Steam Storefront English description posted:

Wo Long refers to a crouching dragon, and also refers to a hero or person of greatness who is not yet known. This is the story of officers, who will later become heroes, during their ‘unknown’ period, and also the story of a protagonist’s rise from being a ‘nobody’.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 1, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chortles posted:

Considering that the Microsoft Store version is so different as to have exclusive options (namely a toggle for Xbox One matchmaking and one for Xbox Series X|S matchmaking) and reportedly wasn't capped at 60 fps, there's reason for hope.

yeah, i'm guessing there was some strange versioning issue, but we'll see once it launches

it ran perfectly fine on my PC aside from some stutters when dying, aside from the awful mouselook, which i can only assume was due to someone not checking the right flag, because nioh 2 had an otherwise perfect camera on its PC launch and that engine can't have been that different than this fork

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

hoping for something fun and gimmicky like the Saika set that lets you auto-target headshots so you can flip around and do sick throwing knife tricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s at least one type of melee weapon that wasn’t in the demo for some reason: Dual sabres. These are distinct from Dual swords