Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Who are these mutants excited about Starfinder of all things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Magnetic North posted:

What sense allows me to detect thetans?
Being an Operating Thetan is probably best modelled with rules from GURPS Lensman, although you can also just rip off Incredible Hulk comics, the original source for Xenu.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Shardix posted:

Who are these mutants excited about Starfinder of all things

Me, in that I would like a dumb kitchen-sink space fantasy game but that is also hopefully good.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Than I sincerely hope this new book is really good because the base game had nothing for me. It seemed on par with D20 Future and I consider that damning with extremely faint praise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't see how it won't be more of the same, given that the base game is just more unambiguous 3E worship with several steps backward, like all feats being loving boring and the equipment mart aspect turned to 11.

The market is also lousy with space opera games with more thought and creativity, so it's not like you're starving for options.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I would like starfinder but PF2 lol

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

I would like starfinder but PF2 lol

That's what I'd expect this to be and it'd be insane if it wasn't.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

Being an Operating Thetan is probably best modelled with rules from GURPS Lensman, although you can also just rip off Incredible Hulk comics, the original source for Xenu.

https://www.comics.org/issue/2083225/cover/4/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm just saying, Hubbard should have written the dude to be more like the Leader.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, on top of maintaining brand coherence it's an opportunity to take a mulligan on some of the real burning garbage baked into the core for SF.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Xelkelvos posted:

They just said its going to be like pathfinder unchained and not a new rule book. Blegh.

https://twitter.com/paizo/status/1630685589686337536

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Starfinder was much closer to a heavily houseruled Pathfinder 1e (setting and dressing aside) so a book that only "enhances" Starfinder is almost certainly not going to be anything like PF 2e, for better or worse

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pathfinder Unchained did include a different action system, so the big thing everyone’s hoping for - PF2e’s three action system adapted to Starfinder - could plausibly be in there.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

So, y'all want some industry news?

They're trying to bring Zak S back! Again!

https://twitter.com/MollyScanlon/status/1629629428253728768

Don't let the tweet fool you, though, Zak's 'win' isn't quite what they make it out to be.

https://twitter.com/S_Murphy_Games/status/1630001815688474626
https://twitter.com/S_Murphy_Games/status/1630454698636451840

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tsilkani posted:

So, y'all want some industry news?

They're trying to bring Zak S back! Again!

https://twitter.com/MollyScanlon/status/1629629428253728768

Don't let the tweet fool you, though, Zak's 'win' isn't quite what they make it out to be.

https://twitter.com/S_Murphy_Games/status/1630001815688474626
https://twitter.com/S_Murphy_Games/status/1630454698636451840

Why did I read the replies? I know better but I did it anyway and now I want to launch all of them into the loving sun. Especially the pants shitter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/knubberub/status/1630463139933241346

Zak alt spotted.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Actually, no.

That's Zak's sister.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tsilkani posted:

Actually, no.

That's Zak's sister.

Oh, so it's genetic.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

joylessdivision posted:

Why did I read the replies? I know better but I did it anyway and now I want to launch all of them into the loving sun. Especially the pants shitter.

I don't know, it's heartening to see that Zak's support has dwindled to the same dozen or so names that I've seen trawling Reddit to defend him. I'm sure there are more Synnibarr fans on the internet than Zak fans right now.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Full decision here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/927gje2mqxoi7hu/1936638092%281-43%29.pdf?dl=0

Basically he was awarded $1 based on her using the word "forced" when she said he forced her to move in; she was in a hard financial position and living with him was her only reasonable way out at the time. Meanwhile, all of the more damning claims about him demanding sex even if she didn't want it, didn't enjoy a particular act or position, or was in pain were ruled true. The claim that he repeatedly said he would kick her out if she didn't have sex with him regularly was ruled true- he may not have forced her to move in, but he certainly was taking advantage of her financial situation to pressure her into sex since she couldn't afford to get kicked out. The claim that he would pressure her to have sex with others he picked out and get upset if she wanted to pursue anything with someone she chose was ruled true. The claim that he had told her her natural breasts were pointless and that he paid for her implants was ruled true.

On the basis of that $1, he's claiming he won, and of course never mentioning the amount won or that only one statement was ruled false.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
He was awarded $1 and gave everyone the legal right to point out that he's a rapist.

Beautiful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Zak was awarded "$1 of nominal damages and costs per memorandum of costs." Can an actual lawyer explain that latter part? Like, Grey has to pay his legal fees?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Zak was awarded "$1 of nominal damages and costs per memorandum of costs." Can an actual lawyer explain that latter part? Like, Grey has to pay his legal fees?

Yes, but only to a standardized limit and table of costs.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

He was awarded $1 and gave everyone the legal right to point out that he's a rapist.

Beautiful.

“Mr. Smith, would you be willing to sign an affidavit ON PAIN OF PERJURY that you are, in fact, not a rapist? Are you quite sure?” :smuggo:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Very funny to see he’s doing the ON PAIN OF PERJURY poo poo still

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The thing that brings me life here is just how small it all is. 13 likes for the original announcement. This is just nothing, I could tweet "fart" and do bigger numbers than this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's hosed up she has to pay legal fees, though. Like, what the hell?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theironjef posted:

The thing that brings me life here is just how small it all is. 13 likes for the original announcement. This is just nothing, I could tweet "fart" and do bigger numbers than this.
Watching most of our old grogs.txt superstars - Tarnowksi, Zak, Desborough, Skarka, etc. - shrink and fade into obscurity as the hobby transforms and evolves past them has been extremely gratifying.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

It's hosed up she has to pay legal fees, though. Like, what the hell?

American legal system baybay! Only matched in utter stupidity and horror by the medical system.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As Zak and Twitter Main Character JK Rowling have demonstrated, the UK and Australian legal systems are even worse, sometimes.

(I hate to be that guy but does Skarka belong in the same bucket as the rest? I mean, he's an rear end in a top hat who spent years arguing on the Internet instead of fulfilling his obligations to his customers, but is he a creep on top of that?)

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

joylessdivision posted:

American legal system baybay! Only matched in utter stupidity and horror by the medical system.

I think this was actually in Canada, defamation is basically the only thing our legal system gets anywhere near correct.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FishFood posted:

I think this was actually in Canada, defamation is basically the only thing our legal system gets anywhere near correct.

no, this was in the US. The case against Mandy is in Canada.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

(I hate to be that guy but does Skarka belong in the same bucket as the rest? I mean, he's an rear end in a top hat who spent years arguing on the Internet instead of fulfilling his obligations to his customers, but is he a creep on top of that?)
I put Skarka in there mostly because he was a look-at-me loudmouth crank who has seen his stature diminish like the others, not because he's a creep. You can toss Wick in the same bucket.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

As Zak and Twitter Main Character JK Rowling have demonstrated, the UK and Australian legal systems are even worse, sometimes.

He attempted to sue Freyja/Rulebook Heavily for making fun of him. Thankfully GMS was too incompetent to correctly doxx her and instead ended up suing a random Icelandic field.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, so it's genetic.

https://twitter.com/knubberub/status/1631011639007891459

It runs in the family!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

NGDBSS posted:

He attempted to sue Freyja/Rulebook Heavily for making fun of him. Thankfully GMS was too incompetent to correctly doxx her and instead ended up suing a random Icelandic field.
drat, that sounds like a lot of wasted effort that could've gone into publishing a game about kung fu in the Wild West.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I want to offer my apologies to disposablewords and anyone else I hurt, it was lovely of me to call you mutants.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Arivia posted:

no, this was in the US. The case against Mandy is in Canada.

I really hope some or all of this is admissable in Canadian court.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I went ahead and read the posted judgement. In it, basically all of Zak's "refutations" are clearly stated as being lies, but not libel specifically because they were defensive responses, and not actionable specifically because it's impossible to show that they caused damages.
Meanwhile, all but one of the allegations of sexual abuse, emotional abuse, etc. made by Gray are verified by the court, and she only loses at all because this judge feels like you can't be "forced" to move in with someone by your own prior financial circumstances and also that this is a damaging allegation you can make about someone.

I agree on the first point in a legalistic way, e.g. she could have been homeless or maybe found another place to live or something; but the second is kind of bullshit, like "he forced me to move in with him" is according to the judge supposed to make people reading it think Zak used violence to march her and all her stuff into their apartment. Nobody reasonable reading her statement would think that! That kind of statement just shouldn't be read literally that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

I really hope some or all of this is admissable in Canadian court.

I can't imagine it won't be, since it's directly relevant to their relationship and Canadian courts respect American court decisions unless there's some legal reason not to.