Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? This is gonna turn out to be even more tragically stupid, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Street racing is a scourge. Should be penalized the exact same as a DUI.

Throw the loving book at Carter.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Street racing is a scourge. Should be penalized the exact same as a DUI.

Throw the loving book at Carter.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

This is why no one that young should have a hellcat. :colbert:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

he's being charged with two misdemeanors

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Not gonna lie. Something about this whole situation feels deliberate. Just can't put my finger on it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Farking Bastage posted:

Not gonna lie. Something about this whole situation feels deliberate. Just can't put my finger on it.

How about you try and put your finger on it for us

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

It feels like a deliberately controlled release of information and/or a coverup in progress. UGA and Athens/Clarke County PD have a bit of a history from the Richt days. I could also be way off base too. Still getting used to some things in my head.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Carter had previously been cited for traffic violations three times during the fall semester, twice by campus authorities and once by Athens police for traveling at 89 mph in a 45 mph zone

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm not really shocked. Everyone was pretty sure it'd be a DUI. Racing seemed a pretty good possibility, though from the initial reports I thought it might just be the deceased driver being egged on without anybody else around.

Barnett Shoals is 5 lanes. It looks like a raceable road, no doubt moreso if everyone's drunk and on top of the world. Traffic should be pretty low at 3 a.m. Every layer reveals a whole bunch more regrettable, stupid decisions that killed people. They're lucky it didn't involve any other cars or that no one directly careened into one of a bajillion apartment complexes that have sprung up there and killed more people.

This made me remember that the governor swore he was cracking down on street racing a couple of years ago. That crackdown? Misdemeanors. (And of course Brian Kemp only meant to aim it at Atlanta, but that's something else.)

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution uncovered a few days ago that Jamon Dumas-Johnson was caught street racing on College Station Road five days before the crash.

What in the absolute hell was going on with these guys?

(Besides being young, stupid and invincible)

quote:

Carter had previously been cited for traffic violations three times during the fall semester, twice by campus authorities and once by Athens police for traveling at 89 mph in a 45 mph zone

The Richt method was to suspend for every stupid thing. Not clamping down on going 89 in a 45 is too drat lax, Kirby.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 1, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wonder if there will be any greater blowback as it seems there was a history of this and it appears to have involved multiple members of the team and team staff that were either aware or participating in it.

I am also incredibly aware that I don't have any place to talk here given the ongoing matters with Bama Basketball.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

I wonder if there will be any greater blowback as it seems there was a history of this and it appears to have involved multiple members of the team and team staff that were either aware or participating in it.

I am also incredibly aware that I don't have any place to talk here given the ongoing matters with Bama Basketball.

If they hadn’t already retired the Fulmer Cup it would be time to do it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Warbird posted:

I am also incredibly aware that I don't have any place to talk here given the ongoing matters with [insert NCAA division I program here].

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

89 in a 45 should be a felony imo. We don't punish reckless drivers enough. DUI drivers, yeah, but not the rest.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Komet posted:

89 in a 45 should be a felony imo. We don't punish reckless drivers enough. DUI drivers, yeah, but not the rest.

I vaguely recall that in the states where I grew up going double the speed limit was actually a felony? Not sure why they chose double, but if that's actually the case in Georgia he'd just have missed a charge for that. And this could have just been some bullshit they told me in driver's ed for all I know.

Looked it up, basically if they can prove it (I am not exactly sure how they would if it didn't come out sooner than this) he does get a bigger rap on the knuckles, but it's just paying a bigger fine and losing his license if this is true:

https://www.peachstatelawyer.com/speeding-laws-in-georgia/

Fake edit, oops not even losing his license unless he doesn't pay the fine or he's racked up previous points?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
In different news that I guess maybe isn't actually better but is more fun, Florida and Kentucky cleared the benches in the women's tournament today

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The way I read it is that they were racing and that is why Carter is getting charged despite not being the direct cause, his actions indirectly lead to the death of the occupants of the other vehicles. I think that’s a Georgia law and doesn’t move to a felony but with the racing tacked on, the DA could charge it as a felony. Carter having a history of speeding will probably weigh in on the charging memo as well.

I don’t know about the “cover up” aspect of it because by all accounts UGA has been about as transparent as possible with both families of the deceased. If there is stuff that shows that a UGA employee told Carter to leave the scene and then stonewalled the cops, that’s obviously a lot different.

It’s super tragic all around. Speeding like that is dumb as hell. Drinking and driving is dumb as hell. In a world with Lyft and Uber there is no need for either. I hate it for the families, I hate if for Carter, but both the meek and might should face their consequences.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JesustheDarkLord posted:

In different news that I guess maybe isn't actually better but is more fun, Florida and Kentucky cleared the benches in the women's tournament today

Doesn't look that bad. Maybe a bad angle, but I dunno how they found 8 players to eject unless there is some automatic rule about leaving the bench. Some shoving maybe a punch or two?

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1631020771542802432

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Doesn't look that bad. Maybe a bad angle, but I dunno how they found 8 players to eject unless there is some automatic rule about leaving the bench. Some shoving maybe a punch or two?

Someone pointed out the fan about 10 seconds in and I can't stop laughing.

I'd assume yeah, it's a leaving the bench thing because there's nothing else going on there other than the original two people maybe.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Someone pointed out the fan about 10 seconds in and I can't stop laughing.

Lmao thank you so much for calling this out. Hilarious.

So is the Wilhelm scream right around the same time.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

The way I read it is that they were racing and that is why Carter is getting charged despite not being the direct cause, his actions indirectly lead to the death of the occupants of the other vehicles. I think that’s a Georgia law and doesn’t move to a felony but with the racing tacked on, the DA could charge it as a felony. Carter having a history of speeding will probably weigh in on the charging memo as well.

I don’t know about the “cover up” aspect of it because by all accounts UGA has been about as transparent as possible with both families of the deceased. If there is stuff that shows that a UGA employee told Carter to leave the scene and then stonewalled the cops, that’s obviously a lot different.

It’s super tragic all around. Speeding like that is dumb as hell. Drinking and driving is dumb as hell. In a world with Lyft and Uber there is no need for either. I hate it for the families, I hate if for Carter, but both the meek and might should face their consequences.

This whole situation feels scummy as gently caress to me. I hate it too. I went through decades of sports pain with a declining Dooley, Ray Goff and Jim Donnan. Then we got teased into hope too many times by Richt to utterly collapse in big games. Kirby finally got us over the hump(that and insane NIL power, let's be real here), but not like this. :(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

my hot take is that the only reason jalen carter is even being charged with anything is because he lied to police about what happened

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

my hot take is that the only reason jalen carter is even being charged with anything is because he lied to police about what happened

I also agree with this. Or at least not saying “I am not going to answer questions without a lawyer present, sorry” when initially question.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Carter ducking out from the scene of a fatal collision that he was at least tangentially involved with -- a collision that apparently involved racing and *a lot* of alcohol -- and then only reappearing two hours later certainly raises some uncomfortable questions.

Anyway, a good number of our online fans (not here but a bit on the cfb reddit and definitely on UGA fansites/blogs) weren't exactly covering themselves in glory in how they responded to this situation. and at least one prominent fanblog still thinks that the AJC reporting about Toppers was just gutter journalism designed to appeal to readers' "prurient interests." Turns out maybe not every inconvenient question or observation is a sign of deep-seated anti-UGA bias from the world at large.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 2, 2023

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

tbf if the crew had gone to a random Athens bar instead of a titty bar, I don't think the AJC would start every subsequent story with Paloma Park callouts the way they were doing with the Toppers thing, e.g., "In the wake of other players going to Toppers, Georgia starts the spring with a quarterback competition."

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA's fixer was on the scene after the wreck, which either means nothing (he basically always shows up when there are UGA player/ACCPD interactions of legal interest) or something (which, speaking of the AJC, is what the AJC has been wink-wink implying).

In less horrific news, turns out Stetson tried to hide from the cops behind a wall.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
That's fair, but it's also the case that Toppers isn't exactly the kind of establishment where you show up stone cold sober and leave after two drinks either.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

vacate the title

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

vacate the title

Both of em

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ehud posted:

vacate the title

its the only moral course of action

Warbird
May 23, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Both of em

And give them to Bama

Would be more legitimate than like a quarter of our existing number so why not.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

In less horrific news, turns out Stetson tried to hide from the cops behind a wall.

well he's no baker but pretty good addition to the lore of qbs being terrible at getting away from cops

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Warbird posted:

And give them to Bama

Would be more legitimate than like a quarter of our existing number so why not.

I think it should go to whoever beat Bama, and hey, between the two Tennessee also has a win against LSU!

(Just ignore the SCAR loss please)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I most assuredly will not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
:negative:

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
It should go to whoever played Georgia closest so Ohio State or Missouri I guess.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It should go to whoever played Georgia closest so Ohio State or Missouri I guess.

Ohio St played closest, but they should give it to Kent St.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

If voiding the dawgs title then it should go to the other team to survive the semifinals. Congrats TCU.

LeeMajors posted:

Ohio St played closest, but they should give it to Kent St.

Also acceptable

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Soylent Pudding posted:

If voiding the dawgs title then it should go to the other team to survive the semifinals. Congrats TCU.

Also acceptable

At least give it to a conference champion.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Instead of giving Kent State anything, it should be destroyed and subject to abolitio memoriae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sash! posted:

Instead of giving Kent State anything, it should be destroyed and subject to abolitio memoriae.

You misspelled Penn State.