Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Trip report current BTA is hilarious and the piledriver (one of the new sanctuary-worlds faction mechs with a long Tom) is a mean surprise the first time you run into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Kanos posted:

It feels to me that for a lot of people, Roguetech is basically XCOM Long War for Battletech - either you absolutely love it and you can't imagine the game without it, or you can't stand it at all, which leads to very stark and polarized opinions about it.

I find Roguetech OK, I mostly play it because I've played so much of other variants of Battletech it feels like it's all I have left.

Mostly what I have to say about it is it takes forever to load and I save scum a lot because I don't have patience for some of the bullshit.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Psycho Landlord posted:

For sure but the long war players didn't launch into Robert Tilton salesmanship every time someone said nah

Where exactly are you seeing this? A poster just said they like the crazy thing because it's crazy and unpredictable.

Like, people who don't like rogue tech also say the exact same thing every time -- that it's insane and bloated and a mess, or "banned for bullying".

So yeah, some people like thing, some people don't. Who gives a poo poo.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Klyith posted:

Where exactly are you seeing this?

The last 400 pages :v:

I don't have anything against RT, I just think it's funny that conversations about it seem to follow a script

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
KITCHEN SINK MOD EVANGELISTS:

THREAT OR MENACE?

I want pictures! Pictures of Spider-5V man!

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
I just like that there is a pirate atlas variant called the AS5-H4T

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The guy who made the savage wolf mod for mw5 included a hero variant named the D1CK

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Chainclaw posted:

Mostly what I have to say about it is it takes forever to load and I save scum a lot because I don't have patience for some of the bullshit.

Is loading a save really savescumming? I can't imagine playing it ironman, rogue in the name or not. There's just far too many fuckyou moments it throws at you.

I recently failed two missions in a row because all my units got nuked each time, albeit in different ways (missile and bomb I think). I most definitely was not going to just keep playing after that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 1, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Thinkin' about playing this again. What're the best mods these days that aren't major overhauls?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skippy McPants posted:

Thinkin' about playing this again. What're the best mods these days that aren't major overhauls?

Honestly BEX. It's technically an overhaul but think of it more as a package of the good mods in one. It stays pretty true to Vanilla while still giving you the full IS map, new mech variants, a fatigue system, a panic system, extending the timeline, etc.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah BEX is great for returning / newer players. expands the arsenal a ton while attempting to keep inline with HBS changes

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Is loading a save really savescumming? I can't imagine playing it ironman, rogue in the name or not. There's just far too many fuckyou moments it throws at you.

I recently failed two missions in a row because all my units got nuked each time, albeit in different ways (missile and bomb I think). I most definitely was not going to just keep playing after that.

Yeah that's literally the definition of save scumming: loading a previous save when something unfavorable happens.

I've seen people encourage the full ironman setup for roguetech, just keep rolling forward with the save until it either falls apart enough to start from zero, or you can recover from a mistake enough.

Even if the game loaded and ran faster, I'm not particularly interested in trying to ironman a campaign that takes hours and hours. I'm just playing for fun in my free time I'm not a streamer looking to fill 40+ hours a week of content.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly BEX. It's technically an overhaul but think of it more as a package of the good mods in one. It stays pretty true to Vanilla while still giving you the full IS map, new mech variants, a fatigue system, a panic system, extending the timeline, etc.

Yeah, that's already too much. I don't want the full IS map or to push the timeline forward.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, that's already too much. I don't want the full IS map or to push the timeline forward.

well then better los helps a ton outside of that it's pretty much depends on your definition of best mods? I want to say someone made an SLDF mod that includes the royal variants into the regular drop tables and maybe some heat changes for the weapons off curve

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

If you can put up with inexplicable clan mechs and jihad tech in a nominally 3025 era periphery expanded arsenal is the most vanilla+ of the modpacks.

If you don't want that it's just gonna be picking out whatever qol you want from the nexus tbh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I found one of these in my BTA3062 playthrough.

The first time I used it, it injured my pilot on the first alpha strike.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think i probably would have liked BEX more than BTA but i thiiiink i'm starting to get the groove of BTA so far (still only at 1-1.5 skul missions though)

getting my commander (who had sensor lock) waxed for 100+ days and losing my other sensor lock pilot early has really made the early grind harsh though

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I’ve avoided all mods just because I find the base game slow on my (not terrible!) machine, so I’ve figured mods would make that worse. But, is that assumption accurate?

And I know it’s unlikely, but are there any mods out there that increase performance?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Best Friends posted:

And I know it’s unlikely, but are there any mods out there that increase performance?

Unfortunately the version of Unity the game was built on didn't have multithreading support. It's very bottlenecked by the CPU.

A Unity version capable of supporting multi-threaded processing was released something like a week before the game launched.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Best Friends posted:

I’ve avoided all mods just because I find the base game slow on my (not terrible!) machine, so I’ve figured mods would make that worse. But, is that assumption accurate?

Oh yeah, most definitely, I have an overclocked 5700x + 32 GB ram + 980pro SSD and still end up tabbing out when a battle is loading in RogueTech.

That said the extra workload is mostly when loading different screens and computing hit calculations.

Best Friends posted:

There are a couple that are integrated in the big mods and can probably be downloaded separately, but I don't have links. Including limited multithreading support.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Best Friends posted:

Yes. No.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

I remember Battletech Revised being a good "light" overhaul but it hasn't been updated in a long time so I have no idea if it still holds up. There's also XAI, which I heard is also good and is sort of the same mindset as BR but I've never tried it.

Really the only Vanilla overhaul I can think of is Hyades Rim which is a full on story replacement with a bunch of new weapons and mech types (with an option to put in CAB mechs as well) but I hear a lot of the missions can be pretty gimmicky and grossly unfair, plus you're stuck with the base Leopard through most of the thing and it loves spamming consecutive deployments, and the new story is "ehhhhh" from what I've seen but it can be worth checking out.

Warad fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 1, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

well then better los helps a ton outside of that it's pretty much depends on your definition of best mods? I want to say someone made an SLDF mod that includes the royal variants into the regular drop tables and maybe some heat changes for the weapons off curve

Yah that was me. (No heat changes to weapons though, just SLDF mechs. Though at one point I posted a 30-heat PPC mod ITT, mostly as an example of how to do basic tweaks.)

SLDF Incoming download

Skippy McPants posted:

I did another thing that might interest you, a mod that expands the Heavy Metal quirk equipment into some of the base game mechs to make the crappy ones more interesting. (Where "more interesting" sometimes means they're now potentially useful in your squad when you salvage one, or may just be that they're now interesting to fight against.)

If that sounds like something you want I can package it up and upload it. I think I floated it before and nobody was interested.

Best Friends posted:

Mods that add assets (ex new mech & vehicle models) increase startup and loading time, and may decrease performance in-game depending on how well the modeling work was done.

Mods that change or add game code may affect performance depending on how well they're written, or possibly be ok by itself but two together cause problems. For example, at one point I had BasicPanic and CustomSalvage at the same time, and it tended to cause major hitches while resolving weapons fire. I removed BasicPanic at first, but now I use BasicPanic and SimpleMechAssembly instead of CustomSalvage and it works fine.

Mods that just change around the original game or add a new thing without assets mostly don't change performance. So my SLDF mod won't affect performance at all, after the first time you load it. It's really just some text files that mess with original game stuff. (The first load will take a minute because the modloader is generating new versions of original game files, but those get cached.)

BEX, BTA, and RT have dozens of different game code mods inside them, some of which are very hefty, and 100s of additional assets. So they kinda perform like crap.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All that fancy new code and the best they can come up with is LRM carriers ramming my mechs

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Best Friends posted:

There are actually a few mods that fixed issues in the base game (Looking at you, memory leaks), and I know at least BTA3062 has had some recent upgrades that improved things further. But as previous posters mentioned, it's absolutely still a clunky game and it will never be perfectly smooth.

https://github.com/m22spencer/BattletechPerformanceFix
afaik this mod is the base of the extended performance patches that most of the compilations use, but you can of course install it by itself too.

Klyith's rundown is a good one.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

E: ^lol yep

Aren't BT Performance Fix and the logging one I forget the name of decoupled from the modpacks now? Like you can download them independently?

They don't help a *ton* with the vanilla game and are mostly intended for said big mods, but they're there and they do help the game run.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
BT performance fix really helps a ton in any lategame campaign, modded or not, because as inventory goes up the UI and sorting it all just goes completely to hell.

And yeah you can install it right from the github page I linked there. There haven't been updates for 3 years, but Battletech is 5 years old, so, welp, lol. I don't think you can generally use the tweaked out versions built in to the big modpacks but maybe? It's been a long time since I looked at those code repos or, heck, fired up a new campaign.

e: Also, re: Roguetech, lmao I would never in a million years play that on Ironman. BTech is just too creaky a game when modded to risk that kind of pain and suffering. Even though I am a Long War fan.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 1, 2023

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Azhais posted:

All that fancy new code and the best they can come up with is LRM carriers ramming my mechs

Technical yeets itself at the legs of my medium mech from halfway across the map, killing itself via the charge self damage, which then detonates its "mysterious package" cargo killing my mech.

Those little buggers are vicious.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwaihir posted:

BT performance fix really helps a ton in any lategame campaign, modded or not, because as inventory goes up the UI and sorting it all just goes completely to hell.

I can't stand unsorted inventory, so instead I just make sure to sell off junk weapons as they become obsolete. Having 200 medium lasers is fine, having 1 of every different + and ++ weapon is what tanks the inventory screen.

(Though I'm sure this is harder in the mega-mods that double the number of weapons.)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we're not running a consignment shop. sell that poo poo off commander. you know how Yang gets about organization it's killing morale

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Azhais posted:

This actually got fixed in the latest RogueTech update.

Well "fixed" in that ramming now does damage to both sides depending on weight, with equal damage if the weight is the same.

It makes the AI want to do it a lot less though.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I finally installed 5 last weekend (and discovered I had bought it on steam and gog) :dumbrim:

Haven’t modded it yet, have done the two or three first missions. Quick questions, while I’m running around with just the centurion and the javelin, is it normal to have a week or two of repairs after each mission? Do I need to just get gud?

Does barreling through buildings and or stomping on tanks cause leg damage?

How many loving helicopters can one drat planet have?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

tactlessbastard posted:

Haven’t modded it yet, have done the two or three first missions. Quick questions, while I’m running around with just the centurion and the javelin, is it normal to have a week or two of repairs after each mission? Do I need to just get gud?

Yes.

tactlessbastard posted:

Does barreling through buildings and or stomping on tanks cause leg damage?

Also yes, as does falling and colliding at too high a speed. But for heavier mechs running through buildings is fine.

tactlessbastard posted:

How many loving helicopters can one drat planet have?

Be grateful they are heavily toned down compared to lore.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
OK, just to make sure I'm not missing anything, is it normal on an early mission while you're still in your centurion to have to face 6 Jenners, a couple urban mechs, 4 or so panthers, plus choppers and tanks?

E: and at least 3 locusts.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Honestly the worst part are the Urbies: I know you can disable the gun arms but they're still annoyingly tanky, the arms a bit small for easy targeting, the fairly high chance they're packing an AC10/20 which are things you don't want to be loving with if you can in early game, and just their general toughness and how your dumbass lancemates can't be easily ordered to prioritize their gun arms or just ignore them in favor of more dangerous stuff.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If you're talking about MW5 urbies being way too tanky, I've noticed that too. They take more to kill than most mediums and a few heavies. Really annoying to have a dumb trashcan marching towards you dumping AC10 or AC20 shots at you that you just can't kill. Especially since on tabletop they're only as tanky as any other light.

But I play with yaml and haven't ran just vanilla other than my very first playthrough. So I've been blaming their tankiness on the "narrow profile" quirk proccing too much.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

YAML specifically uparmors Urbies as a quirk for them too iirc

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

RBA Starblade posted:

YAML specifically uparmors Urbies as a quirk for them too iirc

Yeah, they aren’t kidding in the loading screen blurbs, when they discuss it as an assault disguised as a trash can. They have as much armor as a centurion, in a smaller package with generally a heavier ballistic. So what that they’re slow? You almost never get to engage them at range where they’re at a disadvantage. And they have the 360 degree rotation, meaning you can’t just backstab them easily.

That said, I really tried to make the hero UM-K9 work, and failed. The speed does hurt the player, and the UAC-5 that it comes with just feels too anemic to benefit from the quirks.

Early game though, loved me some basic UM drops. 140 tons of UM drop I called the creeping Jesus.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dalaram posted:

Yeah, they aren’t kidding in the loading screen blurbs, when they discuss it as an assault disguised as a trash can. They have as much armor as a centurion, in a smaller package with generally a heavier ballistic. So what that they’re slow? You almost never get to engage them at range where they’re at a disadvantage. And they have the 360 degree rotation, meaning you can’t just backstab them easily.
If it helps, shooting them in the pelvis allows you to still hit the rear armour as long as the legs are facing away from you. It's where I aim after stripping their gun off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Battletech - Shooting them in the pelvis allows you to still hit the rear