Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This can be true and also trans people can find the Nimbus writing to be a great big oopsy

The voice work IMHO is good. I know that's the primary area of criticism but I don't get it. Maybe I'm biased because I liked their work in hades tho

Implying that no trans people worked on a game a few weeks after multiple trans people who worked on the game were harassed by the internet because they showed up in the marketing video for it is a bigger oopsy imo.

But, yeah, I actually didn't mind Nimbus. The writing was... alright. I liked Nimbus as a character. Their voice actor was pretty solid, and you can tell how many people haven't finished the campaign before complaining about the emotional moment. Nimbus isn't insanely racked by guilt over Rohan's passing because Cloudstriders are basically already dead. Their augmentations kill them. Rohan was going to die anyway, the question was when. Nimbus already made peace with Rohan's mortality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Also I think my frustrations with the campaign stem from a difference in how bungie want you to approach it from WQ: I comfortably plowed through it on legendary without having to power level outside of it, whereas here they seem to want you to go back and forth. After I did a couple battlegrounds and got boosted from that I went back in and had a much better time, grabbing a Strand weapon didn't hurt either.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ohhyeah posted:

This makes so much sense :psyduck: In 20 years when someone does a Destiny 2: Remake LE MCC Director’s Cut they’ll fold strand back into the witch queen stuff.

It's not true but roctavian makes a good case for it. Witch Queen environments were made After the decision was made to focus on Light reworks in year 5 and push the new darkness class to year 6. At this time Strand didn't even have an identity or name, let alone mechanics that would have influenced their campaign environments

The reason why Strand fits so well into WQ's themes and so poorly into LF's is because bungie is incompetent at in game story telling

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The voice work IMHO is good. I know that's the primary area of criticism but I don't get it. Maybe I'm biased because I liked their work in hades tho

I am overall meh on the quality of the va but I do know that whatever the cyborg voice filter they put over them sounds loving awful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

Implying that no trans people worked on a game a few weeks after multiple trans people who worked on the game were harassed by the internet because they showed up in the marketing video for it is a bigger oopsy imo.

I have not said this though.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Hot take but Nimbus rules tbh. Destiny's core cast has been overrun by depressed and stoic motherfuckers for ages that it's nice to have someone kinda chipper, and it does a good job balancing out Osiris losing his loving mind (which the actor plays phenomenally)

People who want Destiny to be the most serious thing in the world have unusual thought patterns tbh

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Aqua Dracula posted:

I am overall meh on the quality of the va but I do know that whatever the cyborg voice filter they put over them sounds loving awful.

The VA is a really good VA from hades, it’s bad direction and writing. It’s the same thing as midnight suns were people are wondering if the VA is bad and no, it’s the writing and direction.

My hot take is that nimbus is the poster boy for the bad writing, all the characters are kind of bad and one note this expansion. Except Calus who’s just chewing the scenery.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's not true but roctavian makes a good case for it. Witch Queen environments were made After the decision was made to focus on Light reworks in year 5 and push the new darkness class to year 6. At this time Strand didn't even have an identity or name, let alone mechanics that would have influenced their campaign environments

The reason why Strand fits so well into WQ's themes and so poorly into LF's is because bungie is incompetent at in game story telling

I used strand to figure this out, it might not be true in reality but it’s paracasually true

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Roctavian posted:

I used strand to figure this out, it might not be true in reality but it’s paracasually true

you have seen the river of time or whatever the gently caress :hmmyes:

(i actually laughed out loud at so much of the strand conversations in the game. i think besides the macguffin problem i posted about earlier the biggest problem is them not just finding any actual way to base strand in neomuna besides... whatever the gently caress nimbus was talking about. idk like just make the poukas magic or something! i think they already are given the collector's edition elsie lore where they're able to cause her to experience past memories, much like darkness nightmares do!)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oded Fehr's voice acting has changed so much since Osiris was revived

But I can't tell if he's dialing it up to 11 because he Loves it or Hates it

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

While these expansions are indeed planned out years in advance, I could've sworn that by 2020, people had realized that the Whedon dialogue was bad and people doing it killed any tension that the narrative could have had. This is, fundamentally, a plot about trying to stop a military force led by a ridiculously powerful creature that will enact a genocide of all sentient species in the Solar System (and, indeed, the universe as a whole) if it is not stopped, it is very strange to try and make a light-hearted romp during this. You could have a Nimbus that is a fine purveyor of gallows humor in this context, but you can't have a Nimbus who would say that the potential death of everyone on Neomuna that they were appointed to protect as being "a major bummer, Light Dude," or something to that effect.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Lord Packinham posted:

The VA is a really good VA from hades, it’s bad direction and writing. It’s the same thing as midnight suns were people are wondering if the VA is bad and no, it’s the writing and direction.

My hot take is that nimbus is the poster boy for the bad writing, all the characters are kind of bad and one note this expansion. Except Calus who’s just chewing the scenery.

I honestly think you are missing the point, and the writing is actually pretty well thought out and good. There may be something to be said about the subtly of what they were trying to say, but looking back with more context makes the way Nimbus acted very... actually good?

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/abeyant-leap

Cloud Striders normally die horrifically. They all know that. They sit there and watch each other die in the worst, most painful way possible. They willingly sign up for their duties with full knowledge that their augmentation will grey-goo them and they will feel every moment of it. The Poukas are capable of sharing these feelings with others... They KNOW what is going to happen. They KNOW how it feels, both being there and it happening to them. They fully understood this when they signed up to be a Cloud Strider.

Nimbus is blase about it because they probably thought Rohan blowing himself up heroically and without the associated horrifying death to nanotech augmentations was objectively a good thing.

And most importantly, Cloud Striders don't live long enough to process the emotional damage the life they live causes. For the short term effects, they have Poukas. For the long term effects? they just die. Can't have PTSD when you are dead.

It's actually super fuckin dystopian and dark. The fact that Nimbus is blase and wise cracking and joking is horrifying. Once again Bungie did the thing where you need to read lore cards to truly understand the impact of what is going on and that's bad, but Nimbus' writing and direction wasnt. It was on point for the story and the world.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

RocketRaygun posted:

I honestly think you are missing the point, and the writing is actually pretty well thought out and good. There may be something to be said about the subtly of what they were trying to say, but looking back with more context makes the way Nimbus acted very... actually good?

Cloud Striders normally die horrifically. They all know that. They sit there and watch each other die in the worst, most painful way possible. They willingly sign up for their duties with full knowledge that their augmentation will grey-goo them and they will feel every moment of it. The Poukas are capable of sharing these feelings with others... They KNOW what is going to happen. They KNOW how it feels, both being there and it happening to them. They fully understood this when they signed up to be a Cloud Strider.

Nimbus is blase about it because they probably thought Rohan blowing himself up heroically and without the associated horrifying death to nanotech augmentations was objectively a good thing.

And most importantly, Cloud Striders don't live long enough to process the emotional damage the life they live causes. For the short term effects, they have Poukas. For the long term effects? they just die. Can't have PTSD when you are dead.

It's actually super fuckin dystopian and dark. The fact that Nimbus is blase and wise cracking and joking is horrifying. Once again Bungie did the thing where you need to read lore cards to truly understand the impact of what is going on and that's bad, but Nimbus' writing and direction wasnt. It was on point for the story and the world.

No, it’s bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol from the new Byf video “I’m like the lore daddy and I can’t even tell you what the veil is”

lmao this expansion in a nutshell

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I though Nimbus was a bit annoying at first but then they grew on me. A stupid as some of the lines were they got a laugh out of me.

quote:

What you can craft in Season 20:

Seasonal weapons.
Neomuna weapons.
Base raid weapons
Plus, a handful of other weapons that don't have direct comparisons to TWQ sources.

So right now this poo poo is making me salty, because apparently "neomuna weapons" means "some of them" and "a handful of other weapons that don't have direct comparisons" means "literally nothing"?

I think the only weapon that I really want out of the set is the LMG, and that's not craftable, and comes from something that's going to be super annoying to farm. Is there some catch i'm missing? No-crafting makes sense for all the guns that you can focus and dungeons, but don't loving do it for RNG chest rewards.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

RocketRaygun posted:

- Not equipped with the powers of the main characters but face the same threats

- Blase and seen as odd by outsiders

- Incredibly dangerous lives doomed to end by combat

- (potentially) the focus and playable characters of a spinoff to the franchise

Are the Cloudstriders just Destiny's equivalent of ODST?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

love to read a fun lore book about the early days of neomuna's metaverse as i play the campaign, imagining how weird growing up in that environment would be. anyways, time to browse the new exotics to see if there's any good lore and WHAT THE gently caress https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/swarmers

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

arsenicCatnip posted:

- Not equipped with the powers of the main characters but face the same threats

- Blase and seen as odd by outsiders

- Incredibly dangerous lives doomed to end by combat

- (potentially) the focus and playable characters of a spinoff to the franchise

Are the Cloudstriders just Destiny's equivalent of ODST?

I was talking with my friend how this game has a really heavy halo 2 vibe, new Mombasa specifically. The story people are upset, I’m enjoying the shooting and new subclass. Same ol’ bungie.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve watched a lot of Byf videos and this is the most negative one ever. By a long shot lol

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Lord Packinham posted:

I was talking with my friend how this game has a really heavy halo 2 vibe, new Mombasa specifically. The story people are upset, I’m enjoying the shooting and new subclass. Same ol’ bungie.

That part in the intro where you walk through Neomuna, next to the big Calus statue, gave me BIG Halo 2/ODST vibes. Shame there's no big pyramid spider tank to jump on. Maybe in the raid?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

arsenicCatnip posted:

Hot take but Nimbus rules tbh. Destiny's core cast has been overrun by depressed and stoic motherfuckers for ages that it's nice to have someone kinda chipper, and it does a good job balancing out Osiris losing his loving mind (which the actor plays phenomenally)

People who want Destiny to be the most serious thing in the world have unusual thought patterns tbh

I don't think destiny needs to be serious but when it's funny it should actually be funny. Calus is comic relief but he's funny and likeable. Every time they do a goofy character it just sucks so bad.

Also I liked failsafe

I played through the campaign with two complete newbs and they were both commenting about how much Nimbus sucked unprompted, so it isn't some sort of lore thinker mind virus

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve watched a lot of Byf videos and this is the most negative one ever. By a long shot lol

the raids gonna come out and hes gonna get like two lore books, an armor set, and 5 guns about the backstory of nezarac and make a hundred videos about it, i do not think bungie is going to completely lose the lore dorks just because they didnt explain the veil

hell postgame exotic quest they finally explain the loving black garden's black heart and that took nine years

dodgeblan posted:

Also I liked failsafe

GIVE FAILSAFE THE UNUSED EXO FRAME

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

dodgeblan posted:

I don't think destiny needs to be serious but when it's funny it should actually be funny. Calus is comic relief but he's funny and likeable. Every time they do a goofy character it just sucks so bad.

Also I liked failsafe

I played through the campaign with two complete newbs and they were both commenting about how much Nimbus sucked unprompted, so it isn't some sort of lore thinker mind virus

that's funny cause I like nimbus but hate failsafe, different strokes ig

I think it's unfair to compare any character to Calus though, that's the absolute peak of funny Destiny right there

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

Nimbus and the cloud strides tell a cohesive enough story, I don't think there's too much frustration with that

It's just that when you dip in to actual real life concepts to add depth and richness to your thematic elements, you had better nail the concepts at 100%. Missing the mark when you're wielding heavy IRL issues that affect people is a No Bueno

Like how the audience grimaced in xman 5 when Magneto went to bend the bars at Auschwitz to drive home that a mutant holocaust is at hand

A conscious decision was made for Nimbus to be Nimbus, to have a pre "Hero" name (so brave, you're so brave dude, so brave) and for the cloudstrider "body modifications" to take a physical toll and reduce life expectancy as they work through body dismorphia/learn to skateboard

Those who are sensitive to seeing Their Experience wielded so clumsily and pointlessly are saying "drat, this sucks! This is dookie!!"

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

they took away the gambit pinnacle I think, which is actually good because now I don't have to listen to people cry about having to play gambit when they don't want to (cause they're bad)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

arsenicCatnip posted:

they took away the gambit pinnacle I think, which is actually good because now I don't have to listen to people cry about having to play gambit when they don't want to (cause they're bad)

Pinnacles and Powerfuls show up on the Map once you're at 1750!

I think!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Oh, thank you. I was wondering about that.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pinnacles and Powerfuls show up on the Map once you're at 1750!

I think!

that might be it, I just noticed a gold dot on crucible but not on gambit.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
the veil being completely unexplained is good because it's a callback to OG destiny

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

dodgeblan posted:

the veil being completely unexplained is good because it's a callback to OG destiny

It's a double callback to OG Destiny since the veil and black heart are... copies? prototype and final? real thing vs veil you bought on wish?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So how am I supposed to counter the Tormentor attack where they can ground pound you, send you flying fifty miles into a pit, and suppress you so you can't double jump back to ground?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yo where the gently caress is the hand cannon from the key art? It's not from Neomuna. Would be strange to have a raid weapon on the expansion key art?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The campaign sucks dog dick

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Can't believe noone's mentioned Calus' stupid new bucket hat

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can't believe noone's mentioned Calus' stupid new bucket hat

cause it loving rules?

Pirate Jet posted:

So how am I supposed to counter the Tormentor attack where they can ground pound you, send you flying fifty miles into a pit, and suppress you so you can't double jump back to ground?

You really gotta play scared against the Tormentors, it sucks. Just stay farrrr back.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

arsenicCatnip posted:

cause it loving rules?

His semblance matches his inner beauty. And what beauty! :allears:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Re: campaign

this calus fight is such a stupid gimmicky piece of poo poo. Boops and pits and shield phases and bullet sponge all to hell. WQ was rewarding and fun to do solo legendary. This poo poo is a chore.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcX6TjLbpWU&t=14s

They lost MyNameIsByf

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

abraham linksys posted:

the raids gonna come out and hes gonna get like two lore books, an armor set, and 5 guns about the backstory of nezarac and make a hundred videos about it, i do not think bungie is going to completely lose the lore dorks just because they didnt explain the veil

hell postgame exotic quest they finally explain the loving black garden's black heart and that took nine years

What's the explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

arsenicCatnip posted:

cause it loving rules?

Nah when he sighed and was like "let's get this drudgery over with" after The Witness talked to him he really meant "Goddamn I can't believe I have to wear this now"