Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

ruddiger posted:

You can tell a lot about a person on what they fixate on in Breaking Bad. No doubt the Skyler haters endlessly quote "I AM THE DANGER" and the like.

Oh my god, I was watching an episode with a friend once. Her housemate happened to be passing by, and he goes "Ugh, she's SUCH a bitch. You can just tell by the way she looks at him that she's high maintenance!"

The scene in question was one of the ones where she's treating Walter the exact way he treats the family: mysterious and shady and lying. :psyduck:

The only WW quote I frequently use is this one, because it's funny:

I lied, this one is also excellent (possible spoiler):

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The I AM THE DANGER bit is really telling because when he does that rant its not because he has turned into some ultra operator badass, its when he is out of Gus's favor and realizes that his back is to the wall. That whole scene is just him projecting like he has everything under control at the absolute nadir of when he has control in the plot.

Aye Doc posted:

I sort of remember something about, they wanted to make sure every character in s1 had a "dark" side to them to make them all morally ambiguous. I want to say it was touched on in one of the BB podcasts, maybe, possibly

I remember that they originally shopped this to HBO so there are some weird content choices in s1, like all the awkward sex that Walt and Skyler have.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 1, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In New Girl they pair Jess up with this guy who she is stalking and has a restraining order against, and who they repeatedly state is not healthy being with her. They also don't really have chemistry together and he's not really adding to the group, just a weird choice of a relationship to force. Winston dating his cop partner is weird but it's also weird he's a cop and jobs in this universe are clearly not comparable to ours. Jess becomes principal or some poo poo just out of circumstance and work is only really a thing if the scenes or episode calls for it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khanstant posted:

In New Girl they pair Jess up with this guy who she is stalking and has a restraining order against, and who they repeatedly state is not healthy being with her. They also don't really have chemistry together and he's not really adding to the group, just a weird choice of a relationship to force. Winston dating his cop partner is weird but it's also weird he's a cop and jobs in this universe are clearly not comparable to ours. Jess becomes principal or some poo poo just out of circumstance and work is only really a thing if the scenes or episode calls for it.

Winnie The Bish is a fantastic cop, and as is his one-time partner Dunston. Although, Dunston does have a tendency to randomly lose all grip strength.

Not a huge fan of the later Sam storylines but he had a great scene with Herman Judd in an earlier season.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I finally remembered I hadn't finished Fleishman is in Trouble and Shrinking is like the perfect thing to watch after that heavy fuckin show.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

I remember that they originally shopped this to HBO so there are some weird content choices in s1, like all the awkward sex that Walt and Skyler have.

During a Michael Shannon mini-marathon, I decided to check out 8 Mile for the first time and boy, that is a movie that has a sex scene out of nowhere for no loving (:haw:) reason.

Eminem is having sex with his love interest (Britanny Snow I think?) For the first time...at his work at like, a auto shop/factory? (I dunno, but its Detroit, so its dirty and sad and there's cars)
And it goes on for so long, I was convinced it was gonna actually like, lead to something, like him getting busted by his boss and losing his job, gasp, new conflict in the plot!

No...it was just...a weird standing-up sex scene behind a stack of auto tires. For no reason. :psyduck:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Something beautiful is happening in the comments of this official Walt Disney account. I honestly can't believe they didn't lock thm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ji5U2sTlLU

"I loved the part where Peter Pan looks at Hook and says Look at me, I'm the captain now. Truly moving cinema"
"I love the part where Peter says "for frodo...." and charges headlong into the Deathstar. Such a masterpiece."
"I loved the part where Peter Pan said "it's panning time" and panned all over the place. Truly one of the most pans ever"

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So I finally caught up with Ted Lasso. Man... that solved NOTHING. Nate's an even bigger rear end in a top hat than I thought and about to get more screen time -plus- the Roy/Keeley poo poo didn't get solved. That goon LIED to me. I feel like Buster in Arthur, "Just go on the Internet and tell lies?"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nate arc is so goddamn good though

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t know if I’m just spoiled by Andor now when it comes to Star Wars tv, but the Mando season 3 premiere is… kinda bad.

There’s some cool new creature and set designs, but the dialogue is just awful and the new composer is no Ludwig Göransson.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone else noticed that some Amazon Prime shows are slightly sped up? The audio is at a higher pitch.

Was re-watching West Wing (girlfriend hasn't seen it and we were bored as hell, ok) and we switched from Youtube to Prime. The voices are very noticeably higher, it is bizarre, though of course you get used to it after a while.

I haven't seen much chatter about it round the web, noticed this though: https://www.reddit.com/r/departures/comments/w5gmdj/are_the_episodes_on_prime_sped_up/

I'm wondering if it's a technical issue or if there's a tiny marginal benefit Amazon somehow gets out of streaming shows slightly faster than they actually are, lol.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Season 7+ Kevin from The Office has got to be one of the worst characters in the history of television. Disturbingly, unfunnily brainless.

He kind of washed over me because of how much worse Andy is. It's impressive how hard they tanked that show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Anyone else noticed that some Amazon Prime shows are slightly sped up? The audio is at a higher pitch.

Was re-watching West Wing (girlfriend hasn't seen it and we were bored as hell, ok) and we switched from Youtube to Prime. The voices are very noticeably higher, it is bizarre, though of course you get used to it after a while.

I haven't seen much chatter about it round the web, noticed this though: https://www.reddit.com/r/departures/comments/w5gmdj/are_the_episodes_on_prime_sped_up/

I'm wondering if it's a technical issue or if there's a tiny marginal benefit Amazon somehow gets out of streaming shows slightly faster than they actually are, lol.

They might be using versions of the episodes that were slightly sped up for international markets.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah could be the PAL versions where broadcast is 25fps instead of 23.976.

I thought Mando was pretty good. Just back to basics fun tbh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Read After Burning posted:

The only time I hated Skylar was at the very beginning, when she goes to Jesse's house to DEMAND that he stop selling Walt weed. :lmao: at marching onto someone else's property, then rushing away clutching your pregnant stomach all "STAY BACK!!!!", as if YOU'RE not the aggressor here? "Karen" behavior, truly.

But nah, all the Skylar hate was just "SHE'S NOT OKAY WITH HER HUSBAND LYING AND BEING SHADY, WHAT A BITCH!!!" I liked her a lot after S1!

The true worst non-violent character is Skylar's sister. :colbert:

Yeah and honestly who gives a poo poo about weed at that point anyway. I was mostly indifferent to skyler after a while at worst

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This has been impressively nuked. What was going on here? Some standup?

E: now they put it back up. Wtf is happening?!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 1, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I can't believe the "PAL version is slightly sped up" business is still a thing in streaming-rear end 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

He kind of washed over me because of how much worse Andy is. It's impressive how hard they tanked that show.

Speaking of The Office, we just finished our watch of the season 6 extended Superfan episodes on Peacock, and I actually was impressed by how improved the season 6 finale is.

Overall, I thought season 6 is probably tied for worst season with season 8, or maybe a little above season 8 by virtue of the fact that Steve Carrell is still there. But one of the story arcs is that Dunder Mifflin is bought out by Kathy Bates, who runs a printer business, and the finale of the season is that the printers are defective and catch fire, someone at Dunder Mifflin tells the press, and Kathy Bates tries to find out who the whistleblower is. In the original cut of the episode, Michael finds out that it was Andy, Kathy Bates knows that Michael knows who it is, tries to get him to confess, and then basically tells him that she's afraid of apologizing to the press and asks him to do it, Michael agrees, and that's kind of the end of the episode.

I always thought that was kind of a weak ending, and in the extended version, it turns out they cut an entire additional scene. Kathy Bates finds out that it was Andy, decides to fire him, and Michael stands up for him (despite admitting he doesn't really like him), asserts his authority as branch manager, and tells her to stop deflecting the blame for buying lovely products. I thought it was a really effective scene and Carrell really sells it, and it completely changes not only the context of the episode but gives Michael a really big piece of character growth.

There are a lot of cut scenes in the extended episodes that I liked but this one was such a big piece of character development as well as making the episode as a whole work so much better, I can't believe they cut it from the broadcast version. The overall episode also has some other good restored bits, like the revelation that Phyllis is seemingly testing the waters with Bob Vance's son and Jim being willing to let Pam take the heat for being the whistleblower to take the attention off himself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hannibal started sucking once he started devoting his life to being a landlord and complaining about people not liking landlords.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1630954050769371138

Congrats to Ocelot Revolver on his new gig at Rolling Stone

quote:

Levinson and Abel “The Weeknd” Tesfaye are the “sick and twisted minds” behind the “sleaziest love story in all of Hollywood” (HBO’s words) that follows pop superstar Jocelyn (Depp) as she navigates the seedy underbelly of the music industry and falls under the spell of Tedros (Tesfaye), a mysterious owner of a popular L.A. nightclub who secretly runs a cult reminiscent of NXIVM and Scientology.

Wes Craven rear end promotional copy

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah and honestly who gives a poo poo about weed at that point anyway. I was mostly indifferent to skyler after a while at worst

I know it's a show with kidnapping and overdosing and murder, but the subplot with the janitor at school (they find weed on him, and he has prior weed charges) makes me sick to my stomach.

DEA raids over goddamn pot, and everyone acting like the dude diddled kids or something. "I CAN'T BELIEVE HE WOULD BE ALLOWED TO WORK AT A SCHOOL!!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1630954050769371138

Congrats to Ocelot Revolver on his new gig at Rolling Stone

Wes Craven rear end promotional copy

I knew it was gonna be some fuckin poo poo like this after Amy Seimetz left

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Data Graham posted:

Lol I can't believe the "PAL version is slightly sped up" business is still a thing in streaming-rear end 2023

This crops up with video game stuff a lot, it's possible they had rights to the PAL versions but not the NTSC for some reason. Or they were cheaper. The other reason I'd think an old show was sped up would be using syndication versions they sped up to jam in slightly more commercials.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Considering the leading lady, I would not be surprised if it came out that this retooling is an attempt to move the show away from parallels with Johnny Depp/Amber Heard's relationship via nonsense excess

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 2, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I paid zero attention to the trial, was this alleged

Also let's not forget The Weeknd is also a co-creator on this, he's hosed in the head too

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What the gently caress is that, is this just another batch of hosed up perverts confessing via scripts?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That or a bunch of middle schoolers from 1990 have successully pulled a Maebe Funke at HBO

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Matt and Trey should pull a Nirvana The Band The Show and make a 45 minute piece of content called South Park the TV Show the Movie, Episode 1. Also give zero or conflicting statements on wether is a tv show or movie.

Jesus, is Season 3 of this ever gonna come out?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zoux posted:

Also let's not forget The Weeknd is also a co-creator on this, he's hosed in the head too
:yikes:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Like the first bit is :rolleyes:-worthy, but it wouldn't be a scene that hasn't been done before. Yeah, yeah, abusive relationships, cults, domestic violence...it's dark and hard to watch, but it's nothing new.

The latter is either someone's fetish or the writers trying to be as edgy as they can. :stare:

It's probably both.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1631003008413716480?s=20

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

It's called 'egging' and don't kink shame

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Weeknd eat the eggs

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Well that's something at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://deadline.com/2023/02/dune-the-sisterhood-director-johan-renck-shirley-henderson-exit-hbo-max-series-1235273486/
The Dune spin-off prequel series is on hold after losing a director (again) and lead actress. This will probably be fine since it is based mostly on the failson's books.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Idol sounds like a total trainwreck I’m definitely gonna watch it

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Looks like we have a new season of Prehistoric Planet coming up https://twitter.com/tetzoo/status/1631036271047892994?s=46&t=hN7QrcuD7lAZiiIdTJ-hdA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

The Idol sounds like a total trainwreck I’m definitely gonna watch it

Spoken like a man who's never read the prequel books