Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Edit: also Horn of Africa. Looking at the last update of Imperator, Axum had a bunch of it, so probably just give them lots of the area.

yep I already fixed the horn of Africa by setting up a couple kingdoms with the Axumite dynasty in the region. unfortunately the Punic colony that was there rolled badly, but they've still got Socotra

and I agree that there'd probably be much stronger links between north and west Africa than in otl, especially since Carthage had a golden age in the intervening years, during which they presumably would've launched more trading missions in that direction, maybe a couple colonies

also I think CK3 was the era in which north african powers (usually morocco but still) actually had trans-Saharan empires, so I might write something up to maybe push Numidia in that general direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Trading colonies in west africa having a sort of cold war between Carthage and the west african polities that are large and strong: possibly with oligarchic republican influences. Berber and Numidian tribes caught in the middle, acting as vassals along the salt routes.

The gold of west africa is probably a really, really big commercial influence.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Sunset invasion but it’s a Swahili-led empire of East African tribes spilling across the Red Sea/Indian Ocean

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I'd love to see even chains that either push a reformation of a West African faith or kick off an off-shoot of one of the Abrahamic ones to really explode in the region.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Rejected Fate posted:

I'd love to see even chains that either push a reformation of a West African faith or kick off an off-shoot of one of the Abrahamic ones to really explode in the region.

I wonder if a reformed Carthaginian one would be a big hit, personally.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Maybe West Africa is were the Punic and Abrahamic faiths clash for dominance. The Punic trader realms vs. the Abrahamic kingdoms.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
What is the end date/EU4 beginning date going to be?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Finnish Flasher posted:

What is the end date/EU4 beginning date going to be?

right now I'm thinking 1400, but that might change depending on how things play out

regardless, there won't be any more big time-skips like between imperator and ck3. if we finish ck3 at 1400, for example, i'll mod eu4 so it starts at 1400 as well

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

It's lovely!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Sunset invasion but it’s a Swahili-led empire of East African tribes spilling across the Red Sea/Indian Ocean

Sunset Invasion but they're actually following the trade currents and not somehow running in the opposing direction of the Gulf Stream

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Dahomey Amazons lead a feminist revolution to topple all men

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
I'm lowkey fascinated by all the juice put into the alt-history side of things. It is beautiful.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

played through some of the first update, and came across this --

something about it just feels wrong...

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Nobody expects the Romano-Hunnic Empire

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

It's very funny to me that the Romans are still calling themselves an empire despite controlling just a bunch of frozen forests in Germania

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

It's very funny to me that the Romans are still calling themselves an empire despite controlling just a bunch of frozen forests in Germania

hey some of those are swamps

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

If Constantinople and the Pelloponesian were enough for the Byzantines, I'm willing to give them a pass

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A more meta-question: Is there any particular reason as to why you're starting so much earlier than the standard CK start-date? Won't that run the risk of interfering with the late Migration Period, which historically can be argued to have lasted into the 800s if not even into the 1000s?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hashashash posted:

played through some of the first update, and came across this --

something about it just feels wrong...

Well if we couldn't get Carthage/Rome...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Romans and the Huns had a truce or something at one point, so clearly this is historically accurate.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Monotheism didn't work the first time Egypt tried it and with a bit of kicking it won't work out this time either.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arbite posted:

Monotheism didn't work the first time Egypt tried it and with a bit of kicking it won't work out this time either.

Not with that attitude.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Part 2 — The Last of the Barbarian Invasions — 650 to 675

Carthage.

A familiar name.

Qart Hadasht is the youngest in a long line of colonies founded by Punics and Phoenicians before them, but this is not that distant Carthage, where the Grand Sophets are surrounded by Hunnic Guards, where the lords of the Adirim rule from marble palaces, where there is yet a citizenry that makes their voice heard…

In this place, this Carthage, life is littler and meaner.

When she was first founded, Carthage — called Little Carthage, to distinguish from her mother city — was a powerful republic, well-placed to take advantage of the sealanes spanning north to south, with bustling coffers and a powerful army.

It has been many centuries since those bright days, however. Faced with the chaos and instability that followed the ancient era, the republic was overthrown, the shipping routes declined, and the riches and reach of Little Carthage was cut short.

And with the dawn of the medieval age, Little Carthage is not much more than a petty kingdom on the edge of the world, surrounded by Gallic tribes and hounded by Slavic raiders.

For now.

The culture of Little Carthage is a fusion of Punic and Gallic traditions — though the elites still speak the refined Punic tongue, commoners prefer a version that has bastardised with the harsh Gaulish language; taking advantage of sizeable deposits in their peninsula, Gallo-Punics have become renowned for their talents in metallurgy; and as in many other places in Europa, the lords and knights of Little Carthage adhere to an informal code of conduct that glorifies the mounted warrior (especially those astride elephants).

But while cultures have melded and evolved, the dominant religion in Little Carthage remains Canaanite, and indeed, an annual tribute is still delivered to Greater Carthage, so that offerings to Tanit and Ba’al Hammon might be made in the Great Temple.

As for the ruler of this far-flung Carthage — called Malik in the Punic language, and in Gaulish, though most have taken to calling him King — that is none other than Adonibaal, of the most ancient and distinguished house of Mago.

Adonibaal can count his ancestors all the way to Eshbaal Mago — a champion and martyr of the Republic, who was surely slandered by his enemies in the histories.

And though the fortunes of his family may have declined, Adonibaal has certainly inherited the vim, the daring, the ambition of his venerable ancestors, dreaming of a day when his sons and grandsons reigned over a realm that stretched far beyond the meagre, pebbly beaches he himself ruled.

Those dreams were not yet his to realise, however, because in the east, a greater foe was gathering his strength.

For a generation, the Slavs terrorised the vast lands of Europa. Fleeing a cataclysm in their homelands, they overwhelmed almost all of Germania, launched invasions into the isle of Pretania, and were poised to flood into Gaul.

Until now, the bulwark against these savages was none other than Kerkouane — another Punic colony — but the power of that realm was fast fading, and a union of seven Slavic clans was on the verge of vanquishing them…

Fortunately, the kings of Kerkouane were nimble-minded (unsurprising, since they too claimed descent from Mago), and they called for an alliance of Gauls and Punics to face them in battle. Long gone were the days when the Great Republic would support her colonies with thousands of mercenaries from all across the world. Now, the descendants of those colonies were forced to rely on only themselves.

And of course, Adonibaal answered the call to arms with his spears and swords — which amounted to a grand total of 476 levies — and rode to the rescue of his distant kindred.

After a long week of marching, they reached the territories of Kerkouane, where marauding Slavs were looting, burning, pillaging.

But the alliance was already gathering against him — Punics and Gauls from half a dozen realms, numbering almost 10,000 in all. They met near the town of Remia, and from there plunged towards the largest of the Slav armies.

Adonibaal watched from afar as the farmers and villagers from his little kingdom joined the fray, swinging their scythes and pitchforks about in desperate frenzy…

Of course, there could only one outcome. The alliance won the day, slaughtering no less than 1000 Slavs in a decisive battle — a triumph that surely matched those famous victories of the Great Roman Wars.

A string of smaller battles and skirmishes followed before the enemy finally capitulated…

And with that, the Slavic migrations into Gaul were finally ended.

Adonibaal, however, had a decision to make. For most of his life, Adonibaal had been averse to the rigors and ordeals that came with warmaking; he instead spent his time in his library, or overseeing the expansion of his capital, or the construction of his tradeport…

But his campaign into the east had been his first true taste of battle, and he returned to Qart Hadasht with doubts and hopes and ambitions aplenty. He had a few levies (that were now battle-experienced), and a lot of gold (to hire more troops), so… so why not make use of it? Why not lead armies into battle himself? Why not mirror the great campaigns and triumphs of Old Carthage, of the Magonids he was descended from?

Beset by visions of victory and fears of disaster, Adonibaal summoned the priests and shamans of his realm to divine the will of the gods in this matter…

And after being drawn from his slumber by the sacrifice of a dozen cows and pigs, Baal-zaphon — lord of the storm, protector of the seas, god of war and ruin and victory — made his blessings known. It was the destiny of the Magonids to find victory on the battlefield, it would seem.

Ever a pious man, Adonibaal did not delay — wars were declared against the Armoricans, the Drevani, the Pictonians, all tribes that were now weakened by Slavic incursions, and after raising a large host of mercenaries and levies, the king took his place at the head of the army…

…only to die, just a few days into the campaign.

Thus perishes Adonibaal, whose reign will be remembered thus — he was born, he fought a battle against the Slavs, and he died.

But with his death, dawned a new age for that petty country called Little Carthage — his sons Carthalo and Canmi are mere children and yet beset by enemies on every side, his grandsons would make wars and forge kingdoms, his greatsons will fulfil the god-promised triumph that Adonibaal had thought was his…

The tale of the Magonids is only just beginning.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 10, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Way to go, Adonibaal. Starting a grand campaign, and biting the dust at the first step.

Long live Little Carthage's child ruler!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
A little king for a little Carthage.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

El oh el, el em ay oh.

I mean, long live King Carthalo! He has mastered many skills (like walking, talking, eating unassisted) and is sure to live a long and healthy life, like all child rulers.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

yea not sure what triggers that particular description, but it must have a low bar if a 7 year old has apparently mastered many skills

also re the death screens, just ignore the 'played' dates, since i need to occasionally need to tag switch to fix bugs (this one was a Roman emperor dying and yet somehow still ruling?) and that messes it up apparently

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

hashashash posted:

i need to occasionally need to tag switch to fix bugs (this one was a Roman emperor dying and yet somehow still ruling?) and that messes it up apparently

The eternal emperor...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We can pull flower war poo poo? :getin:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I bet he died of a stomach ulcer, some real bad adonibaal pain.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

hashashash posted:

yea not sure what triggers that particular description, but it must have a low bar if a 7 year old has apparently mastered many skills

I think its just stats-based. I think that triggers if your heir has 8+ in three or more.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
He was 70, but had a 7 year old son? Dude was a late bloomer between the baby and the war.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Tiger Crazy posted:

He was 70, but had a 7 year old son? Dude was a late bloomer between the baby and the war.

yep! im sure he was up to some stuff before 650, but unfortunately the historical records were lost

Technowolf posted:

I think its just stats-based. I think that triggers if your heir has 8+ in three or more.

ah that makes sense, Carthalo definitely isnt half bad

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Are we playing as a Gisgo or a Mago?
The update says magonid, but the familiy crest says Gisgo on the images.
Or are Gisgonids and Magonids the same thing?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Kanthulhu posted:

Are we playing as a Gisgo or a Mago?
The update says magonid, but the familiy crest says Gisgo on the images.
Or are Gisgonids and Magonids the same thing?

nah it's definitely meant to be Mago, just a mistake -- fixed it now, thanks for pointing it out

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

What a start. Do those wars automatically end with the king's death, or are we sending the seven-year-old out to battle?

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

idhrendur posted:

What a start. Do those wars automatically end with the king's death, or are we sending the seven-year-old out to battle?

Caligula, Carthage edition.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

idhrendur posted:

Some wars end with leader deaths, but either way, the 7 year old won't be in the army.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The description makes it sound like you started three offensive wars at once, which I can't understand the reasoning behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Veryslightlymad posted:

The description makes it sound like you started three offensive wars at once, which I can't understand the reasoning behind.

God told him to