Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Welcome to yet another Paradox mega-campaign!

For those who’ve been here before, this will be quite different from Al Andalus and Jerusalem, but for those who have no clue what I’m on about — Paradox Interactive is a publisher known for their grand strategy games, a series of historical sandboxes where you pick a country, like England or the Ottomans or the USA, and guide them through the wars and major events of that time period. I’ll be taking a single save through multiple games, so we can watch as a country progresses (or regresses) from antiquity into the modern day.

You don’t need to know any of the game mechanics to follow along, since this LP will focus entirely on the narrative —— the rise and fall of ancient empires, the spread of religion by the word and the sword, exploration and colonisation, imperialism and revolution and migration and more revolution, nation-states and world wars, and who knows, maybe we’ll throw about a few nukes at the end of it all.

I’ve played through a few Paradox games before, and there’s a long history of mega-LPs before me, but with the current lineup of Paradox games looking very sleek, I’ve decided to go for something more ambitious than anything I’ve done before ——— I want to cover the entirety of Paradox’s historical grand strategy lineup, starting with…

Followed by…

And then moving on to…

Not done yet…

Almost there…

And we're done! No march of the eagles this time!

With all that said though, the only thing left is to decide who we’ll be playing as…

hashashash fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

(304 BCE to 250 CE)

Part 1 — Prologue
Part 2 — Sicilian Wars
Part 3 — Uneasy Peace
Part 4 — First Punic War
Part 5 — Second Punic War
Part 6 — Interbellum
Part 7 — Third Punic War
Part 8 — Interlude
Part 9 — Empire
Part 10 — Punic Peace

(650 CE to 1400 CE)

Part 1 — Prologue II
Part 2 — Barbarian Invasion
Part 3 — Carthalo and Canmi
Part 4 — Across the Narrow Sea
Part 5 — New Rome, Old Carthage
Part 6 — Bright Elissa
Part 7 — Voyages
Part 8 — To the Holy Land
Part 9 — God and Gunpowder
Part 10 — Jihad
Part 11 — On the Black Sea
Part 12 — Interlude II
Part 13 — Papal Schism
Part 14 — The Crusade
Part 15 — Elissid Empire
Part 16 — Second Son
Part 17 — The Great Steppes
Part 18 — Black Death
Part 19 — Genghis Khan
Part 20 — Into India

(1400 CE to 1836 CE)

Part 1 — Prologue III

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 21, 2023

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

reserved again? why not

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Part 1 - PROLOGUE

The year is 304 BCE, and the world is teeming with chaos and chance.

Wars will be won and lost, kings made and unmade, dynasties born and extinguished, empires forged and destroyed, wonders raised and gods torn down — east, west, north, south, the world is full of stories waiting to be written, but all stories have to begin somewhere.

Where does this story begin?

———

:siren:VOTE:siren:

A

KUSH

We are the sons of kings and descendants of gods, and yet the scion of shepherds and soldiers now rule that wealthy country cradled by the Nile... but not for long. Our ancestors were Pharaohs, and that is not a thing easily forgotten.

“Hear what I have done in exceeding the ancestors, I who is King, the representation of God, the living image of Atum…”

-

B

TEUTONIA

Sit on the edge of the world, where the sea is frozen and drought sweeps across the land, and say that life is easy. Say that living as a slave to the gods is better than making your own destiny. Say that the thin light and long night is safer than the sight of your own blood. Say something, or else take up your sword and march to the beat of a long-awaited dream.

“I dream of warm, sun-lit countries…”

-

C

JUDEA

Beaten, trodden, hated, the Jewish homeland is ever threatened by the fortunes of those powers that reign all around. The time has come to break the shackles binding the faithful, and fulfil the destiny that God has ordained.

“From the brook of Egypt to the great river, the Euphrates…”

-

D

ANTIGONIDS

The great empire of Alexander has fractured into Diadochi kingdoms that will feud and bleed at each another until one emerges supreme - and one must emerge supreme, or all is lost.

“To the strongest…”

-

E

CARTHAGE

The Mediterranean is poised to become the battlefield between the powerful, established Republic of Carthage, and the rising Republic of Rome. Whoever emerges victorious will surely shape the future of the West, and everything that follows.

“I will use fire and steel to arrest the destiny of Rome…”

-

F

ROLL THE FUCKIN DICE

If this option wins, I’ll roll a d5 and let the dice gods decide.

-

One thing to keep in mind - maybe don’t get too attached to any one place. I don’t want to spoil too much, but this LP will be relatively fast-paced and we’ll be moving about a decent bit. Just go with whatever strikes your fancy.

VOTE!

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 10, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Voting for D! A big hunk of land to start, with a challenge in keeping it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

C, because I am always a sucker for underdog stories.

Also I am bad at Imperator and want to see how you succeed.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
E!

I love Carthage and the idea of a narrative LP in an anti-roman world is a very, very tempting one.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
A

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
D seems like the one with the most potential to be interesting early on from what I know of Imperator.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A let's get that good kush going :420:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
A

Show these upstart civilizations who's boss.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
A

Alls Pharoah in love and war.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
A

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Hellioning posted:

C, because I am always a sucker for underdog stories.

Also I am bad at Imperator and want to see how you succeed.

yep Imperator is probably my weakest game too (though I haven't played much vic3 yet), and is one of the few paradox games where holding together an empire can actually be a challenge - but that'll just make it more interesting

anyways, here's are a few of the short-term aims depending on the choice made -

Kush - topple those silly Ptolemies

Teutons - unite the Germanic peoples and prepare to migrate

Judea - survive

Antigonids - reunite Alexander's empire

Carthage - expand in Sicily and Iberia, because I'm sure there'll be no new threats emerging elsewhere

hashashash fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 21, 2022

mctesticle
Sep 28, 2004
E

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

F

LET THE G-D(s) DECIDE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
F

They all sound interesting.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

A

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
E

Carthage, never expanding too much but releasing vassals who then go independent after some time.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

A.

I want something different.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I mentioned this already, but I'll say it again in case people missed it - we won't be staying as the same country/region for the whole LP... maybe not even within Imperator. Still gonna be heavily linked obviously, but I won't spoil anything

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Voting A.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
A

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
E— let’s make Cato the Elder spin in his grave!

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
B!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

E

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I'd like to change my vote if that's all right -- E please

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

B or E, either way we can tell Rome to eat it

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

B

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

A

a) because ancient egypt rules

b) as cool as carthage is, the idea of a megaLP where you have no latin at all and instead a severely dead language to create names sounds like an abject nightmare

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

B

Let's pack our bags and upturn the Mediterranean.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
We wil rule in The Nile - A

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
E

And furthermore, Rome must be destroyed.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Going with E too. Because a world where Rome never really became 'A thing ' as much as it did sounds interesting.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm here to canvass for more E/Carthage votes. Come on, people, although we may be shifting nations, the first one we choose will put history on it's course for the entirety of the megalp. I think we should do Carthage first because it'll move the political and cultural centre of gravity to a place seldom seen as interesting in paradox games and paradox LPs, but one that has a rich and deeply unappreciated history and importance in the world: North Africa.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
E because the Phoenicians and their descendant cultures deserved better than they got in history.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
a!