Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is getting spoilery, so for the new viewer’s benefit:

I can’t imagine they’ll actually show Pike avoiding his future given that it’s rooted in a selfless act. It seems more like the show will focus on him doing the most good with the time he has left and then maybe leaving an out for him to recover later that doesn’t conflict with The Menagerie.

that's very true, him wanting to avoid his fate is very much in contradiction to the character

i have no idea how the two can be reconciled without perhaps compressing the timeline that SNW itself takes place in. "a quality of mercy" partially takes place 7 years after the events of its own first act, so there's obviously a lot of time that can be spent with this enterprise and crew, but the uniforms are shown to be post-TMP style

at the same time, "balance of terror" also takes place in the same year (2266), so... :shrug: lol

e: and "the menagerie" is in 2267, showing events that happened in 2254. it's a mess!

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Beeftweeter posted:

that's very true, him wanting to avoid his fate is very much in contradiction to the character

i have no idea how the two can be reconciled without perhaps compressing the timeline that SNW itself takes place in. "a quality of mercy" partially takes place 7 years after the events of its own first act, so there's obviously a lot of time that can be spent with this enterprise and crew, but the uniforms are shown to be post-TMP style

at the same time, "balance of terror" also takes place in the same year (2266), so... :shrug: lol

None of the episode actually takes place in the time where Future Pike comes from, he just comes from there. He just selected a version of events that would resonate best with, well, himself as a tool for convincing.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the finale is Alt-Future Pike comes back in time and tells Prime Timeline Pike not to stick his dick in the future because it goes very badly for literally everyone..

It doesn't go badly for everyone. Pike manages to hew all the possible outcomes down to one where only Spock dies, instead of two cadets. But because SNW is obsessed with its own relationship to canon, this is deemed the worst possible outcome because Spock is his era's GREAT MAN and is infinitely more important than some worthless cadets. SNW has dreadful ethics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crusader posted:

it is really difficult to think of any season of any show that was as narratively incoherent as Picard s2

Heroes and 24 at their worst were more incoherent than Picard Season 2. A lot of the also-ran Mystery Box shows that tried and failed to imitate Lost in the mid-00s to early 10s also poo poo the bed to a similar degree. Picard Season 2 is the most narratively incoherent Star Trek story, it is not the most narratively incoherent television show I've ever seen.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

HD DAD posted:

How are you people forgetting Oh and her sunglasses.

I was doing a fiscal year end report for a charity I work for and wanted a nice little quote at the end, as is the style of the place. So I went with “If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a longer fence.” Nice, right? Catchy and kind of universally bland in that nice charity way. But to whom is it attributed? Turns out it’s the sunglass Vulcan actress.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Plotac 75 posted:

None of the episode actually takes place in the time where Future Pike comes from, he just comes from there. He just selected a version of events that would resonate best with, well, himself as a tool for convincing.

ah, good point. i've only seen it once at this point, pretty close to its original release date, so admittedly it's a bit hazy

i guess that also explains why pike seems to age decades in 7 years, lol

e: okay. reading memory alpha as a refresher i get it now, i had forgotten that pike uses a ~time crystal~ to experience the events of 2266

but still: the series itself is set in 2259, events of "the cage" are... 2254? did i miss something there again?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 2, 2023

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

It would be insanely On Brand for Star Trek: Picard for everyone's favorite character to be the guy who dies in Episode 3 out of 10 and then the rest of the show sucks so badly everyone spends the rest of the season pining for the guy who disappears at the start of the show. Like how Laris and Zhaban were the best characters of Season 1 and they're gone by the 2.5 hour mark. Or how Laris is also the best character of Season 2 and she's out the door in 20 minutes that time. This show has A Thing that it sticks to...

I'm reminded more of Lorca, killed off and never mentioned again in the series. "Should we tell a story about how a good captain's trauma disillusions him, and how he slides into radicalism while it conflicts with our main character's idealism? Nah, he's just going to be a double from the evil dimension."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

psa for any goons near hollywood

show those nerds whose boss :getin:

Isn't the host the lady that cameoed as a science officer in the Prodigy finale? (I believe she's the one who nudges Rok towards xenobiology)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Payndz posted:

The JJ movies apparently poisoned all knowledge in the franchise of how military promotions work, even within the fictional Star Trek multiverse.

"You have the bridge, Cadet Kirk."
[Cadet Kirk is now Captain Kirk, no takebacksies]

This is the moment everyone should've realised JJ was a hack. No director/producer should read that ending and go 'yes, this makes perfect sense and won't yank people out of the movie'. And like, it's so fixable. Add a '7 years later' caption or something. Do a montage showing him work his way up the ranks rapidly.

This poo poo drives me nuts because it's like having a football movie talk about how they need the quarterback to get past the other team's goalie to score a home run. It's blatantly stupid to most people and is worse the more you know/think about it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the host the lady that cameoed as a science officer in the Prodigy finale? (I believe she's the one who nudges Rok towards xenobiology)

i haven't watched prodigy but the article i grabbed that from says

quote:

Hosted by Star Trek science advisor Dr. Erin Macdonald, the one-night-only event features special guests, giveaways, a limited-time menu with Star Trek-themed food and drinks and an exclusive Q&A with the host and special guest!

Fans will also receive a special sneak peek at behind-the-scenes footage from the first season of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, taking place at Scum and Villainy Cantina – 6377 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028 – doors will open at 6:30 p.m. PST and trivia will begin at 7:00 p.m. PST.

so maybe?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lister posted:

I'm reminded more of Lorca, killed off and never mentioned again in the series. "Should we tell a story about how a good captain's trauma disillusions him, and how he slides into radicalism while it conflicts with our main character's idealism? Nah, he's just going to be a double from the evil dimension."

Also love the symbolism of people from the mirror universe being sensitive to light because their futures are so dim compared to ours, where he need sunglasses because they are so bright.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

OMG new episode is tonight, I can't wait to find out what's next in Raffi's story

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah - she also got a name check in Lower Decks when someone (I think it was Tendi?) shouted out ‘Dr Erin says you can’t do that!’

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Beeftweeter posted:

i haven't watched prodigy but the article i grabbed that from says

Prodigy is a nice palette cleanser if you find that you are depressed by the state of current live action trek with its poor lighting and many inexplicable beheadings.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Penitent posted:

Prodigy is a nice palette cleanser if you find that you are depressed by the state of current live action trek with its poor lighting and many inexplicable beheadings.

Got around to finishing the pilot of Strange New Worlds

Holy poo poo that's one of the lesser episodes of this season?

It was the most Trek thing I've seen in years

Already loving this series. I love how Pike even has his own swagger about him, distinctive from Kirk.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 2, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Already loving this series. I love how Pike even has his own swagger about him, distinctive from Kirk.

Episodes 4 and 5 are most people's high point but the whole season basically doesn't drop below a solid B.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ashpanash posted:

OMG new episode is tonight, I can't wait to find out what's next in Raffi's story

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Penitent posted:

SNW is palatable enough for me, and discovery was fine at first at least

picard has been consistently pretty bad though

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

The next episode isn't something that'll be on any "best of" lists, but it is 100% weird one-off TOS/TNG adventure and the single purest slice of Star Trek I've seen in years. You're in for a great ride!

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

TulliusCicero posted:

:itstrueallofit:

I wasn't as down on the OP as some, but it was just sort of OK. Worse for me was the direction they took the Gorn (and the bad SFX), and my memories of some real weird augment = minority instead of actual, y'know, eugenics stuff, but overall everything from the writing to the casting to the lighting, was just so welcome after so many years of modern Trek shows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

Heroes and 24 at their worst were more incoherent than Picard Season 2. A lot of the also-ran Mystery Box shows that tried and failed to imitate Lost in the mid-00s to early 10s also poo poo the bed to a similar degree. Picard Season 2 is the most narratively incoherent Star Trek story, it is not the most narratively incoherent television show I've ever seen.
It was funny in Heroes S2 when one of the main characters just left their girlfriend in the Bad Future and she was never heard from again

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Literally everyone on SNW has a well earned air of Big Dick Energy to them. This is a crew of professionals who are loving amazing at their jobs and it affords them the room they all have to swagger a little.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SNW loving rules and is the best trek since DS9

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

This is the moment everyone should've realised JJ was a hack. No director/producer should read that ending and go 'yes, this makes perfect sense and won't yank people out of the movie'. And like, it's so fixable. Add a '7 years later' caption or something. Do a montage showing him work his way up the ranks rapidly.

This poo poo drives me nuts because it's like having a football movie talk about how they need the quarterback to get past the other team's goalie to score a home run. It's blatantly stupid to most people and is worse the more you know/think about it.

I actually gave that a pass because
A) Kirk had just saved the planet
B) An element of the story had been that the timeline had changed but was trying to bend back towards what it should be - Kirk is supposed to be Captain of the Enterprise at that age if he had joined starfleet when he was supposed to.

Of course Into Darkness literally starts with Pike going 'oh my god I was an idiot to make you a captain after 5 minutes, you have absolutely no idea what you are doing'.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Supposedly SNW Season 3 will start filming in May and an official renewal announcement is coming soon.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Supposedly SNW Season 3 will start filming in May and an official renewal announcement is coming soon.

I mean seems like Season 1 got audience and critical acclaim -and I'm pretty sure viewership?- so not the biggest surprise, but still if true go to hear!

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah, SNW is a breath of fresh air for sure.

Anson Mount as Pike has been incredible.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

dr_rat posted:

I mean seems like Season 1 got audience and critical acclaim -and I'm pretty sure viewership?- so not the biggest surprise, but still if true go to hear!

It seems to be the only new Trek that’s been getting attention outside the general nerd sphere

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

did season 2 wrap already?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

A while ago now I believe. Post production takes a bit of time.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
It's a shame it feels like Picard and Discovery get most of the attention, because between SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy, it really isn't a bad time to be a gigantic loving nerd person who enjoys Star Trek.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

Season 2 wrapped in July of last year. SNW was weirdly ahead of schedule.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

My Second Re-Reg posted:

It's a shame it feels like Picard and Discovery get most of the attention, because between SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy, it really isn't a bad time to be a gigantic loving nerd person who enjoys Star Trek.

And yet I'd rather have Picard and Discovery out there being heat shields the keep away all the dorks whose entire personality is "I'm murderously mad about New Star Trek" from focusing their gaze on and making GBS threads up SNW, LDS, and Prodigy with their dipshittery.

It's nice to just kick back and enjoy those three without having to swim through a sea of gross negativity about them.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

HD DAD posted:

Season 2 wrapped in July of last year. SNW was weirdly ahead of schedule.

These days, the acting is the easy part. All the hard part comes in visual effects and compositing later. But that's non-union, so you can really squeeze the life out of your digital artists pretty cheaply.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet I'd rather have Picard and Discovery out there being heat shields the keep away all the dorks whose entire personality is "I'm murderously mad about New Star Trek" from focusing their gaze on and making GBS threads up SNW, LDS, and Prodigy with their dipshittery.

It's nice to just kick back and enjoy those three without having to swim through a sea of gross negativity about them.

Those three were never going to get the same heat as Disco and Picard because the former has a diverse cast of POC and LGBTQ+ folks front and center and the latter is the continued story of a beloved character that Gen X grew up idolizing. Regardless of their episode qualities, they never stood a chance when it came to generating online vitriol.

- On a purely surface level SNW is a “return to normal” for Trek in the eyes of those assholes, plus it’s actually well received by just about everyone aside from a few purist sticklers.
- Lower Decks is probably the most niche of all the new Treks, adult animation typically gets ignored unless it’s a Rick & Morty level show with massive exposure and ad campaigns, and it’s also just good.
- Prodigy gets ignored by them because it was billed as a kid’s show and it’s animated.

With all that in mind it’s very easy to see why Disco and Picard catch the brunt of it all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

SNW was weirdly ahead of schedule.

From everything I've heard about the production it's not surprising. If you get -and actually properly use- a good amount of pre-production and not having random last minute changes all the time, this will really, really help a shot run smooth. Particularly if most of it's been shot on sets so you don't have location issues to deal with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Two of these are so much better than the knifey mess we actually got that it almost hurts to see the alternatives

https://twitter.com/thetrekcentral/status/1630991857650991120?s=46&t=pbiRaJt91ywFCHUY0Id4Ug

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Two of these are so much better than the knifey mess we actually got that it almost hurts to see the alternatives

https://twitter.com/thetrekcentral/status/1630991857650991120?s=46&t=pbiRaJt91ywFCHUY0Id4Ug

I feel like the third one would have worked if, like, this show had any semblance of continuity between seasons and the villain was just Oh again back for revenge against Picard and Riker for loving up her plans in Season 1, hence the Romulan Beeftank looking Warbird design for #3. But continuity? What's that magic?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Enterprise Titan fight knife ship :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

I feel like the third one would have worked if, like, this show had any semblance of continuity between seasons and the villain was just Oh again back for revenge against Picard and Riker for loving up her plans in Season 1, hence the Romulan Beeftank looking Warbird design for #3. But continuity? What's that magic?

I just hope they reuse the concepts at some point because #3 would be a really rad TOS-movie era Romulan design