Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It took me until today to find out that Actually Additions coal generators don't need just coal or coal blocks. I've been trying to finangle a canola oil generator setup to make empowered canola without using any of the wireless relays (modern skyblock 3 has them gated behind loving draconic evolution :rant:) and realized I can just make blaze meshes using my endstone combustion setup and stuff a stack in a coal generator.

All those fluid placers and droppers on timers in order to perfectly synchronize all the equipment to push fluids through to a canola generator, orrrrr... :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Vault Hunters mod has a ton of .json files in its config folder, through which you can change all kinds of settings and inner workings. Lots to go on there. The only thing I thought to look for but can't find is how to change the vault time limit. Apparently the value that used to change it now does nothing. Found some posts of other people not being able to find it either. Fields are not documented anywhere. You can ask about it on the discord, but apparently it's against the rules to talk about any config settings that go against the "intended balance of the pack".

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

The Vault Hunters mod has a ton of .json files in its config folder, through which you can change all kinds of settings and inner workings. Lots to go on there. The only thing I thought to look for but can't find is how to change the vault time limit. Apparently the value that used to change it now does nothing. Found some posts of other people not being able to find it either. Fields are not documented anywhere. You can ask about it on the discord, but apparently it's against the rules to talk about any config settings that go against the "intended balance of the pack".

Yeah, it's pretty clear that a lot of the core mod they develop for The Vault intentionally doesn't expose its configs for just that reason. I wanted to change all spawners to ambush spawners and figured there must be a way to do it before I realized that they violate the config rules of thumb to keep people from making changes.

My theory is that they don't want people showing off how they improved the gameplay by doing XYZ in the configs and create a pseudo-fork when a bunch of the community adopts a non-canon way of playing.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

If you figured out a way to config or submod a non poo poo version they'd probably go full Arunmoor anyway, which would give the SANCTIONS screen some company for delusion.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I have never enjoyed Minecraft combat, especially since they added the stupid swing timer nonsense.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i've only had a couple hours lately to fire up gregtech new horizons, but lol at this point in omnifactory i'd have some automation set up, some crazy fast furnaces going... in gregtech im still trying to get a basic farm patch together to stop myself from starving, let alone even thinking of building any machines.

i kind of love it?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

imo the true Greg Awakening happens when you finally, finally scrape together enough stuff to build a blast furnace for steel after stripmining several lapis and mineral sand veins with an iron pickaxe, and then realise it takes four minutes per ingot to process

if you can handle that, you're in it for life

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah if you can make it to BBFs and ENJOY it then you'll be fine. Strip mining an entire vein for the rare Gypsum to have enough to make 1-2 of them is peak early GT. The entire pack is a slow burn with multiple paths you can choose to go down and set things up in the most convoluted ways possible.

In early-ish LV it'll be easy enough to do the quest for the healing axe which means not having to worry about food anymore, at least.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'm UEV in my current map and I still haven't made a healing axe. :smugdog:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I have never enjoyed Minecraft combat, especially since they added the stupid swing timer nonsense.

it's this that kills VH for me, that stupid jump crit mechanic needs to get in the sea

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Melee weapons are always a trap whether it's vanilla or modpacks. VH specifically you can get a fletcher villager easily enough for infinite arrows and just spam ranged early.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Vib Rib posted:

So a workaround I found on their subreddit is to edit the hourglass trinket to 144000 ticks (like 2 hours) and cheat random trinkets until you unlock it. It has a finite number of uses but once unlocked you can craft it at the forge (for a truly absurd cost so cheat that as well). Vaults are actually fun when you have a couple hours to explore them thoroughly!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

"/gamerule doDaylightCycle false" stops the game clock too

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

bizwank posted:

I'm going to use this as soon as I get home because it feels like every time I join my skyblock world, it's either night or thunderstorming

I had eight different colors of sheep that I lost because a lightning strike presumably hit the wooden fence on their platform and they all fell off while I was AFKing so I could amass a bunch of iron. Endstone casing + condenser in sky resources 2 is kinda nuts, one iron essence can produce 1100 pieces of iron. At least with this gamerule I can get some sunshine occasionally

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bizwank posted:

Not the game clock, the Vault Timer. This definitely doesn't stop the Vault Timer.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I loaded up blightfall 3.0 and wow, I didn't realize how many quality of life additions came after minecraft 1.7. Everything feels so primitive, relatively speaking. I don't even know how to turn on cheat mode on NEI because apparently there's no way to pull/pour liquids out of a smeltery and I was just going to cheat in a bucket with the stuff. The pack is way, way more mining heavy than I remember. Let me know if you've got tips! I got to mostly-finished like, 7 years ago and figured with the improvements surely I can finish the pack this time. I was kinda hoping for a fun retro pack but now I think I may have been wearing rose-colored glasses.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 28, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bhodi posted:

apparently there's no way to pull/pour liquids out of a smeltery

Can you not put a bucket on your casting table and click the drain? I know that works on modern versions.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought you could pour a molten liquid into seared tank set directly under a faucet.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought you could pour a molten liquid into seared tank set directly under a faucet.

That was always my go-to method to partially fill a block with garbage so that I could break it

Edit: as far as I recall from so many years ago

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah, that should work too, and then you can bucket out of the tank.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Huh. So, Thaumcraft staves have a physical damage stat so you can use them as weapons. It turns out that the Blood Staff from Forbidden Magic also acts like a Bound Blade in that killing stuff by bopping them with it gives you blood shards.

Bhodi posted:

I loaded up blightfall 3.0 and wow, I didn't realize how many quality of life additions came after minecraft 1.7. Everything feels so primitive, relatively speaking. I don't even know how to turn on cheat mode on NEI because apparently there's no way to pull/pour liquids out of a smeltery and I was just going to cheat in a bucket with the stuff. The pack is way, way more mining heavy than I remember. Let me know if you've got tips! I got to mostly-finished like, 7 years ago and figured with the improvements surely I can finish the pack this time. I was kinda hoping for a fun retro pack but now I think I may have been wearing rose-colored glasses.

Ask for sapling bags, the natura wood trees are a good substitute for metals for making tools.

I also recommend adding OreExcavation to the pack. It's way better than veinminer.

Oh and to turn on cheat mode you'll first need to Open to LAN to enable cheats, then click the wrench icon down the bottom left of your inventory, open the Inventory menu, then change Global to World and you can change Recipe Mode to Cheat Mode.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 1, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So a workaround I found on their subreddit is to edit the hourglass trinket to 144000 ticks (like 2 hours) and cheat random trinkets until you unlock it. It has a finite number of uses but once unlocked you can craft it at the forge (for a truly absurd cost so cheat that as well). Vaults are actually fun when you have a couple hours to explore them thoroughly!
This works really well, and you don't have to cheat in random trinkets. Just type in "hourglass" to NEI and it should pop up right there for you to take one. Only downside of this method is you can't use any other trinkets, which is a bit of a bummer.

With infinite time Vaults really feel a lot different. You get a sense of just how enormous they really are, because any of these rooms you normally sprint through can take 10 minutes+ to get through. Puzzle rooms and mini-dungeons are worth taking your time to explore, now. Loot can be better filtered. Those mining areas with gems can now be dug out without sacrificing any chance you had at the objective.
I will say the most transformative changes have been using a full vault gear set -- the bonuses alone mean better loot, and the improved defense is massive in a pack where the protection enchant doesn't seem to exist -- and getting max fortune on my pick, which means gem ore is bountiful now instead of mostly nothing. That's really ramped up returns. After level 10 I've noticed a change in loot in the vaults as well, like Quark's blank tablets spawning* and more gems in clusters.

*I really don't understand some of these loot tables. Why do I want algae clumps and bricks? Why are sunmetal bars considered rare and valuable loot? Why were blank tablets so valuable as to be level-gated? What about magnetite?? I can't see any value in most of these, and I'm confused as to what the point of their inclusion is, let alone the way they're seemingly propped up in the loot table. If they're just for decor (which still excludes the tablets and magnetite) then maybe there should've been another chest type that just has decorative blocks in it, or even restrict that to raw vaults or something.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 1, 2023

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
When you eat the last item from a lunchbox that also leaves behind an item, like mushroom soup gives you back the bowl, the bowl is left behind inside the lunch box, trying to eat from the lunch box while there is an inedible item inside kicks you from the server with internal server error.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

When you eat the last item from a lunchbox that also leaves behind an item, like mushroom soup gives you back the bowl, the bowl is left behind inside the lunch box, trying to eat from the lunch box while there is an inedible item inside kicks you from the server with internal server error.

This random thing, taken out of context, pretty much sums up minecraft modding.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's so perfect it should be framed.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
vault hunters is fun but insanely loving grindy and RNG heavy, I'm a god drat adult, I got poo poo to do

...in minecraft

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RandomBlue posted:

vault hunters is fun but insanely loving grindy and RNG heavy, I'm a god drat adult, I got poo poo to do

...in minecraft
A friend shared a video where everything cost about 10% what they do now. So they were capable of a better sense of balance, they just figured "hey, let's crank everything way up with no option to revert it!" They even dummied out the code that would let you manually change the default Vault timer. It's all done in service of grind, and I just don't get it. It's not like vanilla materials are going to break progression, all your progression comes from inside the Vaults anyway!

E: I need to stop posting about this stupid modpack, I'm way too invested.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 2, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

A friend shared a video where everything cost about 10% what they do now. So they were capable of a better sense of balance, they just figured "hey, let's crank everything way up with no option to revert it!" They even dummied out the code that would let you manually change the default Vault timer. It's all done in service of grind, and I just don't get it. It's not like vanilla materials are going to break progression, all your progression comes from inside the Vaults anyway!

E: I need to stop posting about this stupid modpack, I'm way too invested.

It's so weird I hate grinding and Minecraft combat but I am still drawn to the modpack as well for reasons I cannot explain.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

socialsecurity posted:

It's so weird I hate grinding and Minecraft combat but I am still drawn to the modpack as well for reasons I cannot explain.
Nothing quite like enjoying a game's premise and core while suffering under balance made for an audience you're clearly not a part of.

As for Minecraft's combat, I've also come to realize probably the worst part of it may be the hitboxes. Fighting baby zombies, spiders, and silverfish is the most frustrating thing in the entire loving game.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A bucket on the table or basin which works in later versions didn't work but this seared tank trick did!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

A friend shared a video where everything cost about 10% what they do now.

poo poo like this makes my eye twitch and I start to have PTSD episodes to reading the notes of the guy in charge of Cataclysm DDA.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

After messing around endlessly with the configs for GregTech 5U, Chromaticraft, Unidict and the like, I just about have a custom 1.7.10 pack figured out for myself where GregTech is present but doesn't completely take over everything else, and :feelsgood:

I kinda wanted to see all the late-game stuff GT:NH has to offer, but it was just getting too frustrating for something I do to relax after work.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey modding folks, my friends and I are playing on an RLCraft server. Is there a tombstone mod that's compatible that allows you to have it be on a timer so that it won't be there forever? My friends still want it to be "hard" (or tedious, like a lot of the decisions in RLCraft) but the items exploding out in every direction for 5 miles is really getting annoying for everyone. But they don't want to have it so you simply turn on the keep inventory option

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I can't say I know of one that does that specifically; I'm not even sure it'd be possible due to unloaded chunks.

Isn't graves dropping meaning you need to run naked into the enemies to get your stuff back not 'hard' enough?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
You're In Grave Danger has a timer, but it's a timer until other people can open it, not until it disappears. Not sure if that's a feature or not.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I don't see how graves make anything easier. At best, it prevents despawning of items while you're trying to get back to where you died.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

I don't see how graves make anything easier.

Well,

quote:

it prevents despawning of items while you're trying to get back to where you died.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

That isn't usually a problem, since the despawn timer doesn't progress unless the chunk is loaded. Also, the stated problem is they don't like the items being spread out so much, which means they're having no issues getting back to the death location.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
After making a handful of changes to my VH pack it's begun a nasty habit of soft-freezing after certain spawns. Sometimes in a vault, enemies will come out of a spawner, and the game just stops responding. Enemies can't be hit and won't move, blocks don't drop when mined, nothing is interactable. Like a server that's lost connection. Even saving hangs so I have to force quit. No errors are thrown during this time, which is weird. Welp, guess I gotta start unwinding all my changes one at a time. Whee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

McFrugal posted:

That isn't usually a problem, since the despawn timer doesn't progress unless the chunk is loaded. Also, the stated problem is they don't like the items being spread out so much, which means they're having no issues getting back to the death location.

Black Pants posted:

I can't say I know of one that does that specifically; I'm not even sure it'd be possible due to unloaded chunks.

Isn't graves dropping meaning you need to run naked into the enemies to get your stuff back not 'hard' enough?

The general consensus seems to be that the chance of losing gear and items and XP is part of the difficulty, but the items exploding everywhere really far is also annoying for if you can get back to them and go to collect them. So they want the ability to have the items all drop in one place but want to have it be on a timer so that you can't just wait out whatever mobs are there (several of us have mines right under our houses we'll often be on the chunks that have the death). And I guess they don't want to be able to just keep throwing themselves naked at a hard enemy over and over until it's dead and then just be able to simply pick their stuff back up. For the record I think that's all very dumb and would just like to be able to easily get my stuff if I die but they're fans of a lot of the WoW classic level tedious difficulty nonsense so I'm outvoted on that account.

If there's a way to change something in the files somewhere that makes it so the items all fall into one block in a pile where you die instead of all over the place, that'd be a compromise they'd go for but they couldn't find a way to do that.