Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'd say cues is still an improvement. It all uses the same cog width and spacing regardless of being 9, 10, or 11s and they all use a current 11s chain. The tooth profile is new and different- "linkglide" which is basically maximizing the amount of material that fits in the chain to improve durability. It's also what they're doing with the new di2 e-bike drivetrains. So it seems like the shifter and cassette are going to be the only parts that have to specifically match and everything else can be interchanged. They've also made it so you can buy the 11t and 13t cogs separately as e-bike riders seem to love to leave the bike in those two gears and wear them out well before anything else.

I have an old 26" mountain bike setup for commuting that could use a new drivetrain so I'll probably consider trying out this new stuff. Although deore is actually in stock and pretty cheap so who knows.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
All Shimano rear deraillers were and still are interchangeable from 7 speed to before 10 speed mtb* so this is them fixing a mess they created years ago and going back to how it used to be. I've seen quite many 10 speed 105 brifters with 10 speed grx deraillers and people confused why the shifting sucks. Now for the people fitting these new link glide cassettes to their old bikes.... I'm also curious if them ditching 8 speed to lowest of the low end means the cassettes are gonna go to poo poo like the new square taper bottom brackets but time will tell.

* I think there's some Dura-ace that's the exception.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Slavvy posted:

Afaik parts used to be much more interchangeable but that isn't how you make money off of rich dentists

Eh, not really, depending on how long ago you're talking maybe? The bike industry has been making things weird and nonstandardized in different ways for a long long time.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Whereabouts? I've found in the countryside people are pretty good but the richer and more populated the area you're in the worse the assholes are. I had someone scream at me and another random guy for cycling in the cycle lane in quay street in Auckland lol

Used to do the daily commute in Wellington so got the usual poo poo from commuters - We moved to Rotorua which is a lot more relaxed, but i think thats in large part that everyone mountain bikes here.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm talking about Shimano specifically releasing firmware that stopped the mixing and matching of electronic shifting components that they did for reasons they refused to really explain despite mullet DI2 drivetrains working fine and being a popular thing for cross bikes before GRX.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is it a bad idea to put a slightly scratched aluminum bike into my bathtub and clean it off with my shower? I don’t have a yard or hose and my bike is so very muddy.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

tildes posted:

Is it a bad idea to put a slightly scratched aluminum bike into my bathtub and clean it off with my shower? I don’t have a yard or hose and my bike is so very muddy.
ive done it before just remember to use a different loofah for your drivetrain cause that grease ain't never coming out

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

tildes posted:

I’ve clogged a shower drain doing this 😬

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

tildes posted:

You'll spend exactly as much time cleaning the bath afterwards as you spent cleaning the bike. Might be worth it or might not be. Kinda just depends on you.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

w4ddl3d33 posted:

yesterday i completed my first ever strava distance challenge! i expected to feel some sort of firework show's worth of pride and confidence but it turns out 200km is basically already what i do in a month

Signing up for challenges that you will complete in the course of your day-to-day riding is a long and honourable tradition.

As is my current annoyance, that Zwift has bumped me up to C after totally not enough time in D. Like seriously, no training (or zwift races) for 2 years, just doing my commute; I do a few zwift rides and then decide to do a crit and boom, up you go. Boo, I wanted to sandbag more.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I'd just go to a car wash or buy one of those portable washers that folks use for cx and do it in a parking lot.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Crumps Brother posted:

You'll spend exactly as much time cleaning the bath afterwards as you spent cleaning the bike. Might be worth it or might not be. Kinda just depends on you.

meltie posted:

I’ve clogged a shower drain doing this 😬

numberoneposter posted:

ive done it before just remember to use a different loofah for your drivetrain cause that grease ain't never coming out

bicievino posted:

I'd just go to a car wash or buy one of those portable washers that folks use for cx and do it in a parking lot.

That didn’t occur to me, but does sound better than messing up my shower. Ty for advice all!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its fun when you're moving out of an apartment and the person helping you is like "drat, these stains just won't come out of the tub" and you hand them a bottle of chainbrite.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just a friendly reminder; if you bring your bike to the want wash don't point it directly at your hubs, bottom bracket, or headset. The bearings really don't like it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

tildes posted:

Done this plenty of times in hotel showers. Never seemed to make that much of a mess. YMMV.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’m a 16” wheel guy now

I have a Brompton too, :-)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Where is e.pilot for tiny wheel bike chat??

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Does Surly ever have discounts or sales on their frames?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

jet sanchEz posted:

Does Surly ever have discounts or sales on their frames?

Not really. QBP is pretty strict about locking down prices and at best you may catch an old model in a weird size on clearance at some online shop

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
That's kind of what I figured but thanks

I love the metallic lilac Midnight Special but I'm cheap....

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

Not really. QBP is pretty strict about locking down prices and at best you may catch an old model in a weird size on clearance at some online shop

QBP won't even adjust pricing to make their products more in line with the local cycling markets internationally most of the time. Afaik you still have to pay US currency for products in their Canadian warehouse. Sucks to suck if your business account pays forex fees which is most of em. It was that way when I left, at least. The company just kinda sucks to deal with outside the USA.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I went into Facebook to sell my wife's Schwinn Traveler (the 2018 model); she said that if we could get $50, it'd be worth it, because she's got no plans to ride it again now that she has an e-bike and a lighter hybrid to ride. It didn't sell for over a year at $150, so I relisted it. While I was doing that, one of the items I was thinking of getting with the "me" portion of my bonus, a Jaguar Bass, popped up in my area for a below-used-market price.

While I was setting up that deal, someone got back with me about the bike, and we ended up getting more for it than we were hoping to get just to get it out of the garage. The guy even offered to Venmo a deposit, which was great because I've been ghosted a few times before when people would nibble on the listing.

So... the "me" part of the bonus is down to a bike, or a different thing.

Sometimes, the Marketplaces abides.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't think they're particularly firm about having a map policy or enforcing it, but mainly there tends to be a lower margin on surly and other qbp branded bikes compared to other bike brands. Sometimes maybe they'll have a discount on something for retailers but I haven't really noticed much. the all city gravel bike I found for my dad a couple years ago was actually discounted quite a bit on q though.

They definitely don't do things like trek fest or kona days or whatever. Like trek is doing a sale right now and they'll give shops a rebate for in stock bikes that are sold even though they're already here and "paid" for. So a lot better than the "hey sale on our website eat poo poo bike shops" I've seen from other mfgs sometimes.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 3, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I want to get a bag for taking my bike on the train.

I only want to take the front wheel off because the idea of taking both wheels off frightens me.

I have a 58 cm Domane. How should I measure it to find out what size of bag I need?

And what are good brands for bags since there is a possibility that I will have to import because Japan doesn’t have a big demand for tall bikes?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

I don't think they're particularly firm about having a map policy or enforcing it, but mainly there tends to be a lower margin on surly and other qbp branded bikes compared to other bike brands.

This is definitely true but they do it to themselves somewhat, especially in accessories from their brands. People might pay a premium for their bikes and it's definitely a case of paying extra for a lower volume product but the higher cost per unit outside the USA has a lot to do with the decisions they've made. The fact that they opened a Canadian operation and still charged USD on products in their Canadian warehouse a full year after the fact was baffling. Bikes usually make less on bikes than accessories and holy crap are the accessories with a QBP name on them insanely overpriced compared to their alternatives, especially once you factored in the extra costs of bringing them across the border.

The great thing about being in a bike and xc ski shop was putting 45nrth products next to the exact same thing from an xc company and it was glaringly obvious that you were paying half again as much just to have 45nrth written on your beanie or jacket.

And Salsa bikepacking accessories are always overrated just don't bother. Hell, I can get a custom made frame bag of higher quality for less than a Salsa bag.

At least that's how it is in this country.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

hadji murad posted:

I only want to take the front wheel off because the idea of taking both wheels off frightens me.

I have a 58 cm Domane. How should I measure it to find out what size of bag I need?

And what are good brands for bags since there is a possibility that I will have to import because Japan doesn’t have a big demand for tall bikes?

i was thinking of getting something like this https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collections/bike-travel-bags/products/dogsbody-compact-bike-bag

i dont have one yet so i imagine there's bike goons out there with real world experience.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hadji murad posted:

Do you definitely need a bag? I’ve never seen that in any European country for trains. And what do you do with the bag when you leave the station? You don’t want to cycle anywhere directly?

If you must though, I’d get over your irrational fear of removing the rear wheel, it makes for a much more portable bag.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

wooger posted:

Do you definitely need a bag? I’ve never seen that in any European country for trains. And what do you do with the bag when you leave the station? You don’t want to cycle anywhere directly?

If you must though, I’d get over your irrational fear of removing the rear wheel, it makes for a much more portable bag.

Pretty sure it's a requirement in Japan.
Something like that Ground Effect bag looks like a reasonable way to meet the requirement, but won't provide much protection - I'd be a bit worried about derailleur hangers and such.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

hadji murad posted:

Shouldn't need to import anything, searching for a rinko bag should give you plenty of options. Unless by tall bike you mean an actual Tall Bike that's made out of two frames welded together.

https://en.montbell.jp/products/goods/disp.php?product_id=1130426
https://shop.circles-jp.com/products/tioga-cocoon-plus-pouch-type

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It’s a requirement in Japan that you need a bag. My friend also said that the seat shouldn’t be visible because he got grief over it.

I measured my bike from ground to seat and it was 105 cm but most bags had max heights of 90 cm.

Most people ride much shorter bikes here. At least the height of my bike also functions as an anti theft device here.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hadji murad posted:

I measured my bike from ground to seat and it was 105 cm but most bags had max heights of 90 cm.

You… lowered the saddle first right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

hadji murad posted:

Either lower it or - potentially more easily - remove the seat post. Have some electrical tape on the post where you want it to make it easier to put back in at the same height.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Learning a lot… thanks guys!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

hadji murad posted:

Most people ride much shorter bikes here. At least the height of my bike also functions as an anti theft device here.

While living there, have you noticed that theft is still something you have to worry about? When I was touring there enough people made fun of my beefy lock that I stopped using it a week in and never ran into any problems, but I was only there for two months. My tipping point was seeing someone just leaning a >$5k bike against the wall while going into a shop to grab some smokes. Not having to dedicate time and mental energy to a locking strategy is such a huge weight off my shoulders that I was able to enjoy the trip so much more knowing I could just go wherever I want.

Related to this, what are some other places that are like this? That would probably be at the top of my list for enjoyable countries/regions to tour in. Every year there's a few stories of people cycling across Canada having their rides stolen here, which always bums me out.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Yeah, I was wondering that as well. Just from visiting it was honestly shocking how few bikes were locked, coming from the US.

Re: your question, this won't be helpful at all for bike touring, but bike locks were super rare in Singapore as well. I mean, people left phones to hold their tables in Singapore too, so clearly they're operating with some different standards all around. I was personally too spooked by the v harsh penalties for stuff like taking one hand off the handlebars to bike there. Also the humidity.

In Japan it was also cool to see how ubiquitous Panasonic bikes were - I knew they made tires, but didn't realize they made bikes as well.

It's always kind of interesting seeing which bikes are most common different places. Growing up in Wisconsin, everything was Trek for obvious reasons. I'd never seen Marin or Cervelo bikes until moving to Northern California.

I'm just curious - have y'all noticed manufacturers that you think of as specifically common in your area?

foutre fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 4, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Giant, gt, trek, specialized are 90% of what I see if you exclude the sewage tier bike shaped object brands

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

When I was younger Cannondale was what everyone was riding and I don't see them at all anymore.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sekine bicycles are everywhere here. They were a Japanese company that opened up a plant in Rivers, MB. They closed up shop in the early 80s, but they still make up a huge amount of the beater bikes you see on the road as a result.

https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/Feature_Bicycles/Feature_Bicycles_Canada/SEKINE_HISTORY/CANADIAN_SEKINE_2_Intro.htm
http://thesekineproject.blogspot.com/
https://sekinedoc.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/sekine-article-freep2.pdf

Just look at this wonderful thing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

Sekine bicycles are everywhere here. They were a Japanese company that opened up a plant in Rivers, MB. They closed up shop in the early 80s, but they still make up a huge amount of the beater bikes you see on the road as a result.

https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/Feature_Bicycles/Feature_Bicycles_Canada/SEKINE_HISTORY/CANADIAN_SEKINE_2_Intro.htm
http://thesekineproject.blogspot.com/
https://sekinedoc.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/sekine-article-freep2.pdf

Just look at this wonderful thing.

... wow.

Just freaking WOW.

My favorite part of the console (which itself might be my favorite part of that contraption) is the TRANSISTOR RADIO. I'm an electronics nut, and I just love radios that boast TRANSISTORS, or home stereo consoles that boast SOLID STATE TECHNOLOGY. It's great that this model has a dedicated ON/OFF switch, those got replaced with on/off/volume pots around the beginning of the race to the bottom price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I shamefully didn’t want to admit this earlier, but I stripped the bolt where I adjust the seat, so I haven’t moved it for a long time. Fortunately it was at the right height. I feel like an idiot about it, especially if that’s going to be the thing keeping me from taking my bike out on the train.

Things I feel more confident about are talking about cycling in Japan.

I don’t think theft is a big deal, but I had my previous Scott cross bike moved once when I was in a station. It was near Ueno, a busy area, and dark. My bike had one of those wire locks and the bike was moved about 50 metres and the lock was stretched a lot so they gave up on it. I have a heavier Albus one now, but a lot of people use thin locks or have one of those things attached to the bike.

A far bigger threat is parking in a bigger area because they have parking cops go around and “ticket” bikes at certain times. Then after an hour or so they return and if that bike is still there with the paper on it, they will haul the bike away and you will have to go down to the bike office and pay about 50 bucks to get it back. Of course these locations are pretty far away so you’ll need to stump for the taxi too. My wife has been gaffled twice this way.

I think all bikes needing to be registered with the police also cuts down on theft. I used to chain my bike to a pole at home but gave up on it and just secure the back wheel to the frame. 99% safe.

A lot of the Panasonic bikes I see this day are e-bikes, especially mama-charis.

My wife and I both have Treks because there is an excellent independent Trek dealer near our house. Our daughter has a Marin because the dealer is next to her favourite park.

A lot of people in town drive Bianchi but once I go onto the cycling roads outside of town, they almost vanish for some reason….