Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

yah if you're a freakin dweeb it's 1997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If it's not worth playing through twice, it's not worth playing through once.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

doctorfrog posted:

Nah, some games are more of an experience to behold or a puzzle to solve, like Obra Dinn, where replays will never recapture the magic and that's ok.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

doctorfrog posted:

Thank you for adhering to the thread title.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't the whole point of playing the game to be to see the cut scenes?

I got much angrier at this comment than I expected even though I'm otherwise having a very pleasant day

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
people who listen to podcasts at anything but normal speed are due a nervous breakdown

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Taking no interest in actual normal tone and communication and instead just wanting the information pumped into your brain as fast as you can is definitely a symptom of something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont have time to listen to podcasts because that eats into my time making podcasts

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

stop, there are too many podcasts already, we are going to hit peak podcast soon and it will be catastrophic

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

stop, there are too many podcasts already, we are going to hit peak podcast soon and it will be catastrophic

That reminds me, you should check out my new podcast on my podcast singularity theory.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i really love book club style videogame podcasts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
most videos would be better as essays but that doesn't drIVE ENGAGEMENT PIVOT TO VIDEO BABEY SMASH THAT LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTOn

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

video game essays are better as videos because you can look at the game they are playing and the stuff they're talking about, this is important because video games are primarily about look at things

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i really love book club style videogame podcasts

Got any recommendations?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

Got any recommendations?

Watch out for Fireballs and Cane and Rinse are probably the 2 most consistent with the biggest library that I can heartily recommend

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Taking no interest in actual normal tone and communication and instead just wanting the information pumped into your brain as fast as you can is definitely a symptom of something

i don't want to communicate with these stupid loving youtubers i just want to know how to fix my wacom tablet's input god dammit

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Caesar Saladin posted:

You can hear intonation etc just fine if the speed-up software isn't crap and is pitch shifting or something. My spouse basically lived with dictation on at 3-4x human speech, and while it sounded like a funny squawk at first, it turns out it's just an acclimatization thing, you quickly hear it as normal.

There is nothing a youtuber or podcast guy is saying that wouldn't be improved by being either a text block for anything informative, or sped-up voice if you *must* have it on in the background as some sort of ambiance.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

video game essays are better as videos because you can look at the game they are playing and the stuff they're talking about, this is important because video games are primarily about look at things

Dwarf Fortress would like a word

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Serephina posted:

You can hear intonation etc just fine if the speed-up software isn't crap and is pitch shifting or something. My spouse basically lived with dictation on at 3-4x human speech, and while it sounded like a funny squawk at first, it turns out it's just an acclimatization thing, you quickly hear it as normal.

There is nothing a youtuber or podcast guy is saying that wouldn't be improved by being either a text block for anything informative, or sped-up voice if you *must* have it on in the background as some sort of ambiance.

I'm not sure you know how ambiance works

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sapozhnik posted:

most videos would be better as essays but that doesn't drIVE ENGAGEMENT PIVOT TO VIDEO BABEY SMASH THAT LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTOn

wasn't a lot of the pivot to video think from facebook literally lying to advertisers and content creators about clickthrough rates on video ads

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

wasn't a lot of the pivot to video think from facebook literally lying to advertisers and content creators about clickthrough rates on video ads

Yes.

The funny thing is, in my first hand experience, most advertising agencies saw these were bullshit immediately but their clients and people who make content absolutely believed it. Had a lot of good meetings going "this number cannot be real, your own internal numbers show this is not real, no no we can still send facebook a big bundle of money if thats your decision"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Dwarf Fortress would like a word

The game that just made millions of dollars by adding a "now you can look at it" mode??

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
You guys ever play that game Dragons Dogma?

Because I haven't

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dsf posted:

Because I haven't

Dragons Dogma probably started as a failed pitch to license dungeons and dragons, and instead decided they can make both dungeons and dragons into an ARPG without needing WOTC.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

dsf posted:

Because I haven't

I played for a little while and stopped because it wasn't good.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I enjoyed dragon's dogma more than breath of the wild

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

The game that just made millions of dollars by adding a "now you can look at it" mode??

They made millions of dollars because they started charging money for it. It's impossible to say exactly how much they would have made if the original version weren't free, but it's been a popular game for a long time and they certainly would have made a decent amount off it. The updates to the Steam version undoubtedly attracted new players, but I'd be willing to bet most of the people who bought the game are people who were already fans of the original.

Secondly, I'd say the Steam update is more about functionality and accessibility than it is about graphics. You could already get Dwarf Fortress to look pretty similar to how the Steam version looks with the use of character sets:

Hell, you could even use mods to make it look better than the Steam version, like with the Stonesense 3D mod:

The big difference now is that you can actually control the interface with your mouse, rather than playing the game like you're working with Vim text editor.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can use Stonesense in the Steam version too but it looks like garbage compared to the actual Steam version :( It's missing sprites for pretty much anything that isn't terrain.

But not having to deal with ASCII or "low-res retro tiles pasted on top of ASCII" is definitely one of the biggest reasons for the overwhelming success of the Steam version, it's what got me to buy it and it I've heard the same from every other person I know who bought it - "I'm excited to finally check this game out with actual graphics and a UI!"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 2, 2023

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I was completely engrossed by Dwarf Fortress for a few years. It's a great game and I was willing to bang my head against the UI and ASCII to get into it.

Rimworld is better.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

The big difference now is that you can actually control the interface with your mouse, rather than playing the game like you're working with Vim text editor.

drat I wish people would still make games and apps that assume some users have keyboard fluency.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Tell me you know nothing about dwarf fortress without telling me etc etc

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mescal posted:

drat I wish people would still make games and apps that assume some users have keyboard fluency.

dwarf fortress interface had no fluency of any kind, typing 100wpm isn't gonna help you navigate that spiderweb of nonsense

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

dsf posted:

Because I haven't

Wolves hunt in packs, arisen

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

fridge corn posted:

Wolves hunt in packs, arisen

Goblins ill like fire!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I hope the combat in Dragon's Dogma II is actually balanced this time and isn't constantly showing you QUEST FAILED on all your sidequests every time you advance the story.

FFVII Rebirth was announced on the same day with an in-engine trailer and release window while all Dragon's Dogma II got was a t-shirt

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Don't balance the combat, balance just makes everything less fun and cool.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Alternatively don't have a gear or accessory slot where one choice is far and away the best choice compared to all of the others because then you may as well just not have that gear or accessory slot. Don't say "well you can use the much less useful accessories instead ~for fun~", it is not my job to balance your poo poo misdesigned game by making up imaginary rules and constraints for it on top of the ones that actually exist.

Generally it's better to design a system that gives the player a choice of powerful skills and abilities and then ask them to leave one rather than pick one, that way most of your poo poo sees some use as opposed to having the very-good-but-not-quite-as-good-as-this-other thing choice forever gathering dust.

(This isn't about Dragon's Dogma btw I've never played that game).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Hot take. I found god of war Ragnarok kinda meh so far. It’s not bad or anything but it feels like a third game in a two game series and while I love the characters, the story is just generic so far. Like sure dad of war had issue but I liked that it was mostly just “the road” but god of war and was pretty cool and different. New one just feels safer so far.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The entire god of war series is kind of meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
God of war 1 and 2 were solid mid 2000's character action games with more of a focus on spectacle and set-pieces than deep or nuanced combat

2018 God of War was a good game but its gear system and fast travel system were kinda poorly implemented, it did enough good for me to see it through to the end but i'll never need to play it again