Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Ron Hextall literally traded for a player with worse impacts than Carter

i'd be mad if it werent so funny

He worse and more expensive. It's dreadful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I gather Granlund isn't good anymore but seriously wtf is with JFresh:

2020-21: 27P in 51GP, 1.44 5v5 P/60, 2.36 5v5 xGF/60, ~53%ile offensive WAR
2021-22: 64P in 80GP, 1.58 5v5 P/60, 2.38 5v5 xGF/60, ~8%ile offensive WAR

??? Is each one of those years actually a moving average of the past three seasons or what?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think you Penguins fans are being a bit dramatic about getting a guy who has multiple 60+ point seasons, who was good as recently as last year, for a second rounder.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Hearing Demko is getting moved for Hextall. The trade is 1 for 1.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ThinkTank posted:

I hate my team so God drat much

it's the hope that kills

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think you Penguins fans are being a bit dramatic about getting a guy who has multiple 60+ point seasons, who was good as recently as last year, for a second rounder.

There's no changing the hivemind's opinion on a player once theyve seen the magical fancystats graphs. Just ask them about Gavrikov despite being a solid 2nd-pair D who kills penalties for a team (in this case, LA).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The last thing our roster needs is an overly expensive playmaking center who sucks defensively

We are ripe with those

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He's not gonna play on pp1, he doesn't positively affect the third line.

Just not seeing the positives right now. Hockey is random af and sometimes things work out unexpectedly but oof. Also lol that contract

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Yeah I just don't like that contract. Like how Carter was "OK" and then suddenly he gets extended for two years for some reason and look how that is now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Granlund plays both center and wing. Two more years at 5M is a lot if he really does stink, but I suspect it was more of a Nashville problem than a problem with him.

E: Actually gently caress it who cares, I hope you're right and he sucks rear end. Penguins fans have had enough good things happen with their team in the last 2 decades.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Move that 1st, Hexy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Move that 1st, Hexy

just used up all our cap space, sorry

gonna keep it and draft another Owen Pickering Sam Poulin bust

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

With the signing all the old guys and then trading away our good young defenseman on a great contract for an ancient one on a bad contract, I'm starting to think Hextall doesn't have a loving plan for what he's doing

I'm starting to think they're mostly not Hextall's decisions.

e: no I'm lying, I have always assumed they are not Hextall's decisions and there is very little evidence that I am wrong. Just about every roster decision the Pens have made the past two years has Brian Burke written all over it.

Anyway, Granlund. He is not better than Blueger, for more than twice the price, and his skillset both strengths and weaknesses is exactly what the Pens already have too much of.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 2, 2023

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So the Canucks have are stuck going for it next season, with:
One star centre.
A centre who is actually a winger.
4 or 5 bottom line centres, half of these are probably actually wingers

About a dozen wingers who also seem to be actually really good when playing with Petey. “Middle 6” when not. Assume they will play the next ones up for a contract with Petey, and will then sign them to inflated contracts. Act surprised when said middle 6 wingers fail to put up points when being centred by a 4th line centre - and thus will buy them out.

One star defender
Another good defender who probably isn’t what Hughes needs in a partner.
Couple of ok 6/7 guys
A year older Myers/OEL for 15 million

Demko - maybe broken maybe fixed?

Yep. This is going to work.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol. Lmao. Amazing. Holy poo poo amazing. Hextall you suck so bad.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the universe wasn't ready for hextall/allvin trade

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

VOTE1 posted:

So the Canucks have are stuck going for it next season, with:
One star centre.
A centre who is actually a winger.
4 or 5 bottom line centres, half of these are probably actually wingers

About a dozen wingers who also seem to be actually really good when playing with Petey. “Middle 6” when not. Assume they will play the next ones up for a contract with Petey, and will then sign them to inflated contracts. Act surprised when said middle 6 wingers fail to put up points when being centred by a 4th line centre - and thus will buy them out.

One star defender
Another good defender who probably isn’t what Hughes needs in a partner.
Couple of ok 6/7 guys
A year older Myers/OEL for 15 million

Demko - maybe broken maybe fixed?

Yep. This is going to work.

Just play the Stars more

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm starting to think they're mostly not Hextall's decisions.

e: no I'm lying, I have always assumed they are not Hextall's decisions and there is very little evidence that I am wrong. Just about every roster decision the Pens have made the past two years has Brian Burke written all over it.

You are wrong because Burke would be torching first rounders left and right. Every single move has been so ponderously conservative with a 'we can't torch the future for this year' written all over them while Sid and Geno get closer and closer to retirement. It's 100% Hextall. You think Brian Burke would resign the floaty, enigmatic, and often disengaged European winger? Come on.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He sucks getting 60% ozone starts how good is he gonna be getting 80% dzone starts do you reckon

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

A whole huge amount. It is insanely funny that Evan Rodriguez was signed on the back of a huge push by Sullivan and *allegedly* Sullivan was the one pushing for Chychrun. Beginning to think Sullivan actually knows a lot more about what is required to run his system than the GM.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You are wrong because Burke would be torching first rounders left and right. Every single move has been so ponderously conservative with a 'we can't torch the future for this year' written all over them while Sid and Geno get closer and closer to retirement. It's 100% Hextall. You think Brian Burke would resign the floaty, enigmatic, and often disengaged European winger? Come on.

You mean the one they just got rid of?

Yes it is probable that the reluctance to part with first rounders is Hextall's influence. Definitely. But if you look at the actual players the Penguins have discarded, acquired, and re-signed the past couple years, almost every transaction has made the team older and slower. That's Burke all over. I feel pretty confident that as time has gone on Burke has gotten more and more involved and eventually The Athletic will publish a 15,000 word piece about how much he and Hextall hated each other by the end.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

that's so brutal. it's the most Canucks thing ever to start making a few decent acquisitions, flirt with a bit more of a rebuild, then just make an awful "rebuild on the fly" trade. pure lucy-pulling-away-the-football.

I had low expectations for this deadline even with the rumoured Pittsburgh deal but holy gently caress

This is surely the worst franchise to ever be a buyer at eight consecutive deadlines or whatever it is

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I passionately hate Ron Hextall

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

<--- still vehemently approves of the Penguins not trading draft picks for vets that don't move the needle

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Does pittsburgh still have the cap space to take Jonathan Drouin

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It feels like Hextall is trying to get Sullivan to quit

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Lars Eller made it to the arena and is playing tonight. Traded after I started work this morning, in an Avs sweater as I'm sitting down to watch the game.

edit: 3C in warmups

fermun fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 2, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1631106246420955136?s=20

sure why not. take a bigger dump on the franchise Ronald

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ginette Reno posted:

:hmmyes:

How in the gently caress would Pittsburgh even clear cap to make that deal. Petry coming back?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Fine, do it. loving do iiiiit

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

:hmmyes:

How in the gently caress would Pittsburgh even clear cap to make that deal. Petry coming back?

Vancouver would have to take Mcginn and Petry or Pettersson I imagine. Or retain. Or some combination of that

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pens fans have lost their minds. We've reached the final tantrum spiral stages of Boatmurdered. All burn.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Pens can't afford Boeser anymore

Like that's it, that was the Canucks deadline folks.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The Pens can't afford Boeser anymore

Like that's it, that was the Canucks deadline folks.

The Canucks can't afford to not have Marcus Pettersson and Brock McGinn

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Penguins and Canucks fans in a competition to see who can be the most miserable about their franchise. You're not going to beat Vancouver fans, but I respect the effort from Steel City

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Penguins and Canucks fans in a competition to see who can be the most miserable about their franchise. You're not going to beat Vancouver fans, but I respect the effort from Steel City

Usually Caps fans are in this mix but we’ve moved on to acceptance.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Caps fans are generally pretty nice and reasonable actually. There is a baseline dejectedness to them but that's just because DC sports teams are generally rear end.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

You mean the one they just got rid of?

Yes it is probable that the reluctance to part with first rounders is Hextall's influence. Definitely. But if you look at the actual players the Penguins have discarded, acquired, and re-signed the past couple years, almost every transaction has made the team older and slower. That's Burke all over. I feel pretty confident that as time has gone on Burke has gotten more and more involved and eventually The Athletic will publish a 15,000 word piece about how much he and Hextall hated each other by the end.

Again I disagree. The Pens just got super lucky to dump a floaty Euro and signed....a floaty Euro. Matheson/Marino for Petry/Rutta have Burke and Hextall all over it TBH. Bigger tougher players from a bygone era but it was mostly money in money out deals and shuffling deck chairs. But previous that it was 2 very very very low capital moves to acquire Jeff Carter....a player that had term which means he can 'fit into the plan' and 'not mortgage the future'....and then the resigned him to suck rear end and pretend they addressed their 'need' at 3c. Same for Rakell who Hextall gets the bonus of resigning for 'nothing' after basically a try out.

If Burke were running the team they Pens would be getting Luke Schenn and Lucic to play. Not another floaty loving Euro. What Ron Hextall seems to not loving grasp his whatever he views as overpayment and not 'mortgaging the future' doesn't matter because there already is no future. Torching assets to address needs....you know like Boston went out and got Lindholm or Hall and here's Ron in his loving goulashes rolling around the dumpster outside the Make a Wish Salvation Army Home for Not Good Hockey Players on Bad Contracts.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 2, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm at least glad they didn't trade for Tyler Myers.

Yet!

e: or extend Dumoulin. Yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

one is a performative sadness for the tragedy is still yet to come and one is the sadness of a fanbase that one day woke up, walked down the stairs, and found the team's corpse rotting on the living room floor. nobody can beat the nucks