Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol no worries, I was being vague on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Djeser posted:

The game has enough to un-petrify all of the statues in the game, so there's no way to lock yourself out of something for good. Not all of them unlock something interesting though.

Thanks all!

Got two demon hammers from Snuggly.

New goal is to pump strength so I can have maximum bonk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I joined the Blue Sentinels but have yet to be summoned once to help. :smith:

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Deathless Fume Knight lesgo. I somehow found him easier than Sinh. 99 agility is a ton more than when I last fought him at SL1.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
And a deathless Ivory King as well. All those Charred Loyce Knights would be too easy if you could backstab them, so instead they made them extremely easy to parry on their running attacks. Santier Spear is an extremely flexible weapon. Once the second phase started my rolls were on point, and I was dealing so much damage that the final Loyce Knight survived.

Not great against Alonne however, my typical strat against him calls for weapons with low-recovery running attacks. Had to break out the ole Longsword for him.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I love Santier's Spear. It's such a fun gimmick weapon and on the plus side you never have to worry about weapon durability again.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any suggestions on where I should go? There's a poo poo-ton of paths and I'm honestly pretty confused at this point.

• Currently in the Shaded ruins.
  • I need to kill the boss in Sinner's Rise.
  • In forest of the Giants there's a bunch of fire-breathing lizards I haven't been able to reach. Also a door that need's a king's.. something? And a bonfire close to a shut portcullis that seems like it should lead to something
  • There's a bonfire by Targray surrounded by illusion messages.
  • No Man's Wharf: I think I need a wheel for a contraption in the docks nearby.
  • Another 2 locked doors in Shaded Forest.
  • I can open a path in Majula in a revolving room and of course there's the well that needs a ladder.
  • Finally in the lost Bastille there's an elevator down to a ship I can't reach.

E: Shaded woods was nerve-wracking but at least I got some satisfaction out of trolling invaders by using the illusion talisman. That place is already horrible enough. Get hosed! :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 1, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Party Boat posted:

There's also one in the shaded woods to get a key to free Ornifex for boss weapons

Right down the road!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Right down the road!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The thing about Shaded Woods is that it is tiny and easy to clear so long as you hug the left wall. It's also fun to invade if they're being harassed by the ghosts, just burst out of the darkness and spin2win your halberd on top of them to give them a heart attack.

Anyway the boss of Sinner's Rise terminates one of the branches of the world map. Clear them first, the boss is the lowest level of them.

Soldier's Rest bonfire is a dead end, you actually approach that portcullis from the other side from exploring.

Targray is another dead end.

No-Man's Wharf is optional. Don't worry about trying to reach a ship in Lost Bastille.

Shaded Ruins is worth exploring, though it leads to higher level areas. You can open those 2 doors near Shaded Woods later in the game.

Those other 2 paths that extend from Majula are very important.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any suggestions on where I should go? There's a poo poo-ton of paths and I'm honestly pretty confused at this point.

• Currently in the Shaded ruins.
  • I need to kill the boss in Sinner's Rise.
  • In forest of the Giants there's a bunch of fire-breathing lizards I haven't been able to reach. Also a door that need's a king's.. something? And a bonfire close to a shut portcullis that seems like it should lead to something
  • There's a bonfire by Targray surrounded by illusion messages.
  • No Man's Wharf: I think I need a wheel for a contraption in the docks nearby.
  • Another 2 locked doors in Shaded Forest.
  • I can open a path in Majula in a revolving room and of course there's the well that needs a ladder.
  • Finally in the lost Bastille there's an elevator down to a ship I can't reach.

E: Shaded woods was nerve-wracking but at least I got some satisfaction out of trolling invaders by using the illusion talisman. That place is already horrible enough. Get hosed! :v:

To save you some head scratching: No Man's Wharf is one of the access points to the Lost Bastille, and it drops you off at the jetty with the boat you've found. Sounds like you approached another way (from the air?)

Anything involving the sign of the king can be safely ignored for now.

Keep exploring the Shaded Woods and Ruins - there should be ways you can press forward there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There's also a well in Majula, don't forget about that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cool, thanks all! That gives me some ideas of where to go. And yeah, just found a another locked door and a petrified dude blocking something in the Shaded Ruins :v:

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

The thing about Shaded Woods is that it is tiny and easy to clear so long as you hug the left wall. It's also fun to invade if they're being harassed by the ghosts, just burst out of the darkness and spin2win your halberd on top of them to give them a heart attack.

Yeah, I figured it would be a popular spot thanks to pure psychological stress. I'm usually down to clown with invaders but I couldn't see any spots to get an environmental advantage and I'd probably get double-teamed by a ghost so, eh. Think I managed to hoover up all the loot as well as talk to a head.

It was funny watching them run right by a statue (me). There aren't any other statues there, how did they not notice!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Holy gently caress the Blue Smelter is the loving death of me. I can't seem to break through it. There's a reason why I dropped him at SL1.

Yes I know the roar signals you should roll. Except that doesn't apply to his super delayed backhand swing he does.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

christmas boots posted:

There's also a well in Majula, don't forget about that.

Also while it's helpful, a ladder isn't mandatory to survive the descent into the well...

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Cool, thanks all! That gives me some ideas of where to go. And yeah, just found a another locked door and a petrified dude blocking something in the Shaded Ruins :v:

Un-petrify the lionguy next to the shaded woods bonfire across the tree branch first. He drops a key and behind the door you can open with it is also a new fragrant branch :P
Most of the other statues in the area just give access to (mostly caster iirc) loot.

e: one of them guards your headless friends gear tho, which is pretty darn strong early on, if somewhat heavy

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 1, 2023

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Holy gently caress the Blue Smelter is the loving death of me. I can't seem to break through it. There's a reason why I dropped him at SL1.

Yes I know the roar signals you should roll. Except that doesn't apply to his super delayed backhand swing he does.
Stack what magic resistance you can, his phase 2 aura and phase 3 sword damage are entirely elemental.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The Sanctum Shield is hilarious for shield bashing. It's even funnier with strong magic shield. Two handing it, the R1 blocks as it attacks, and with the shield buffed, you take no damage and deal several hundred back because it turns out that it actually hits surprisingly hard for a shield. It's also great for casting utility spells and things like Dark Weapon on your main hand. I'd still recommend an actual catalyst for offensive spells though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
e:nm

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

lmbo just now noticing breaking a chest gives you rubbish. i know ive done that atleast 3 times now :downs:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It took me a while to figure that out as well, I just assumed they were deliberately full of rubbish. Also it's only the wooden chests that are breakable!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Djeser posted:

It took me a while to figure that out as well, I just assumed they were deliberately full of rubbish. Also it's only the wooden chests that are breakable!

Yeah, anything that's ultra rare like spells or otherwise plot relevant are in metal chests. It's mostly just a way of adding some tension if you aren't completely clued in to the difference in the models between regular chests and Mimics.

(the difference is regular chests have the chain coming out straight, while mimic chests have the chain curling inwards towards them)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wooden chests and their loot can also be respawned with ascetics (unlike metal chests)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr.Acula posted:

lmbo just now noticing breaking a chest gives you rubbish. i know ive done that atleast 3 times now :downs:

Yeah, you don't lose out on anything absolutely essential. Any valuable equipment and upgrades are in metal chests that can't be broken. It's just some weird trolly idea they had for 2.

Also to everyone who is playing Dark Souls 2 for the first time: remember to raise your Adaptability/Attunement stats up enough that your Agility score is at one of the major breakpoints (92/96/99/150) so that you have a comfortable number of i-frames!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Vermain posted:

Yeah, anything that's ultra rare like spells or otherwise plot relevant are in metal chests. It's mostly just a way of adding some tension if you aren't completely clued in to the difference in the models between regular chests and Mimics.

(the difference is regular chests have the chain coming out straight, while mimic chests have the chain curling inwards towards them)
You're thinking of DS1 and DS3 there. In DS2 mimic chests instead have a visible latch, while regular chests do not.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

You're thinking of DS1 and DS3 there. In DS2 mimic chests instead have a visible latch, while regular chests do not.

ah, good catch, thank you

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The only wooden chest I have broken was it a puddle of oil, it deserved what was coming to it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Real happy I'm done with Sen's Poison Fortress. That sure was a thing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Am I out of luck for an early Old Knight Hammer after exhausting the two hammer guys in Heide's?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cavauro posted:

Am I out of luck for an early Old Knight Hammer after exhausting the two hammer guys in Heide's?

If you join the covenant of champions back in majula they'll respawn til you leave it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

oh yeah. Thanks bubby

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

It makes all the normal monsters like 20% more powerful or something so you may or may not want to leave it on permanently but yeah that's what you do if you want to infinitely farm something that stopped spawning.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It also turns off white summon signs IIRC (possibly all multiplayer) so don't forget to leave the covenant once you're done!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It also turns off white summon signs IIRC (possibly all multiplayer) so don't forget to leave the covenant once you're done!

Turns off co-op, leaves on invasions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I got summoned for the Pursuer fight twice today, and both times I managed to kill him with the ballista without also accidentally killing the host :hellyeah:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

a true bro, thank u for your service

some DS2 newb was like, "holy poo poo what is happening :stonk:"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

palindrome posted:

a true bro, thank u for your service

some DS2 newb was like, "holy poo poo what is happening :stonk:"

That was me the first time i got summoned for the pursuer and got one shot by the ballista

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Oh wow the Foot Soldier Sword, for what seems like a piece of trash that drops from trash mobs, turns out to be extremely strong. It has rock bottom requirements which is perfect for a hexer. And it infuses well. And it has the best kind of straight sword moveset in the game, better than that of longsword, because it has an R2 poke in both 1h and 2h mode. And the 2h running R1 poke.

The only downside is its awful durability. Better make sure you have a backup, like say 2 copies of dark orb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

ouch, right in the dark orbs

o7