Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
yea that one is only clever for like half a second then you fall through to the much more robust “it really looks like lazy rear end tho” layer and welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

uhh i don't know where that image is from but they're still using the 8-bar variant everywhere i've seen it

e: the only places i see the one they say for 2018 are like old offices built in the 50s

yeah, the solid one was the initial redesign, then rand did the the 13 then 8 variants. someone put the selectric-era logo last lol

Internet Janitor posted:

god, i hate this logo

paul rand was such a hack fraud

'hold on to your ties, fellas, i'm adding lines'

'oh wait, too much'

his doodle for the lines was a pretty good corporate commentary: a guy in prison stripes next to the lined logo

edit: his ford logo would have aged so badly they'd have redesigned it in a decade lol. he could really go up his own rear end about simple shapes

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 1, 2023

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fresh_cheese posted:

yea that one is only clever for like half a second then you fall through to the much more robust “it really looks like lazy rear end tho” layer and welp

the rebus was in color in various forms, so monotone looks janky. I want to say the original was landscape and for an annual report? idk, it's been years since i had to know this

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Agile Vector posted:

the rebus was in color in various forms, so monotone looks janky. I want to say the original was landscape and for an annual report? idk, it's been years since i had to know this

especially hated it in screensaver form

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fresh_cheese posted:

especially hated it in screensaver form

oh yeah! i remember the bee buzzing around but forgot the rest of how it comes together because i never waited long enough to see

iirc ibm's head of design or w/e pushed back against the rebus at the time for being too playful, so it's always a bit funny to see internal designers go ham

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 1, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's some real elementary school level poo poo.

"Haha eye for I and bee for B. These are great and clever even though they have no relation whatsoever to the company and are literally the first things that popped into my head. Okay now for the M. hmmmmmm....hmmm.....hmmm okay that one's hard I'll just use an M from their old logo. Perfect. I've done it again"

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

im all about marketing tone outside the “serious computing for serious people” space buuuuut

that wasnt real great.

“they stole all our servers” was way better

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

one of my old professors published a book of IBM corporate posters a couple years ago and they're pretty cool tho. There are a couple of Paul Rand designs in it iirc, but the vast majority is non-randian

https://www.visualmemoranda.com/about

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I ❤️ BMs

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Poopernickel posted:

I ❤️ BMs

name / post synergy

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Sagebrush posted:

"Haha eye for I and bee for B. These are great and clever even though they have no relation whatsoever to the company and are literally the first things that popped into my head. Okay now for the M. hmmmmmm....hmmm.....hmmm okay that one's hard I'll just use an M from their old logo. Perfect. I've done it again"

exactly, it's so infuriatingly superficial

and on a purely visual level it looks extremely tacky and garish

it doesn't work on any level

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Elizabeth "theranos" Holmes has apparently had child number 2, it's gonna be super hosed up when those kids grow up and learn that they were had specifically to try and keep their mother out of jail

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Elizabeth "theranos" Holmes has apparently had child number 2, it's gonna be super hosed up when those kids grow up and learn that they were had specifically to try and keep their mother out of jail

honestly not spending time around her is probably the only chance those kids have

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fresh_cheese posted:

im all about marketing tone outside the “serious computing for serious people” space buuuuut

i'm not, i want to go back to when companies weren't allowed to be Fun in any way

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

we need to go back to the time where a company's reputation was based on how dark the smokestack on their letterhead logo was

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they had one job, and they hosed it up. smdh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's okay, she can always flee to mexico

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

reported for doxxing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

they had one job, and they hosed it up. smdh
just like their mom

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Gnossiennes posted:

one of my old professors published a book of IBM corporate posters a couple years ago and they're pretty cool tho. There are a couple of Paul Rand designs in it iirc, but the vast majority is non-randian

https://www.visualmemoranda.com/about
holy poo poo these all own

Khorne
May 1, 2002
👁️
💩

Sagebrush posted:

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 1, 2023

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dijkstracula posted:

holy poo poo these all own

if you dig this i recommend 'history of the poster' by phaidon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the washing machines in the laundry room are now permanently broken in terms of accepting cards since the loving wifi network they rely on is down, so i had to download the app (which authorizes a wash using bluetooth). it made me make an account and now i get loving washing machine spam multiple times a day. the future is horrible.

quote:

When gathering laundry, it can be easy to overlook your sheets. As the Sleep Foundation notes, it only takes a few days for sheets to accumulate dirt, dead skin cells, body oils, and more—all of which attract dust mites. They recommend washing sheets and pillowcases weekly.

The representations made herein are informational and for promotional purposes only. They do not constitute any warranty or guaranteed results; nor do they constitute an offer to provide any products or services.

at least when you make an account they give you five bucks of laundry money, and as far as i can tell all you need to make a new account is a functioning email address, so i guess laundry's free from now on

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

graph posted:

the post history button is right there though why do i need to buy a book :confused:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

nobody washes their sheets that often what the gently caress

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

nobody washes their sheets that often what the gently caress

Big Laundry wishes they did obviously

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i don't wash my sheets weekly but i have four sets (more, really) and i do change them that often. do a big load every few weeks.

clean beds feel so nice and are so easy to achieve.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

the washing machines in the laundry room are now permanently broken in terms of accepting cards since the loving wifi network they rely on is down, so i had to download the app (which authorizes a wash using bluetooth). it made me make an account and now i get loving washing machine spam multiple times a day. the future is horrible.

yesterday i tried to pay for parking and putting the bill in the bill acceptor made the parking meter crash and i had to wait 5 minutes for it to reboot. according to the debugging info on the display, it spent most of the boot time "creating user interface" and "searching for 2G network," two things that every parking meter definitely needs.

i love the future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

i bought this on your earlier recommendation, and seconded, it's a good book

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

graph posted:

don't you need plat for that

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

yesterday i tried to pay for parking and putting the bill in the bill acceptor made the parking meter crash and i had to wait 5 minutes for it to reboot. according to the debugging info on the display, it spent most of the boot time "creating user interface" and "searching for 2G network," two things that every parking meter definitely needs.

i love the future

this happened to me recently at the airport, except the card reader was entirely broken and the arm would not move without card reader approval. another person and I were trapped in the parking lot for half an hour waiting for someone to come let us out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

i don't wash my sheets weekly but i have four sets (more, really) and i do change them that often. do a big load every few weeks.

i'm also not quite weekly, but regularly for allergies and cycle pillow cases in-between changes which helps

we also get a bit of a buffer going, then clean a few in a go so there's always at least a spare set

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

same but we change em every 2 weeks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
we change them every two weeks because chihuahuas lose more hair than seems possible. i think at the end of the month you could build an entirely new eggy out of what he sheds

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
wash that poo poo every week, it's not difficult

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

gnatalie posted:

wash that poo poo every week, it's not difficult

i'm missing a spinal disc, it kind of is

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010