Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I'm sold on the Schwalbe Big Apples. I also considered Surly Extraterrestrials, but at $78 a tire vs. $50 for the Big Apples, it seems a bit excessive for just commuting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The ETs do roll a bit faster, but not by much. Wouldn't really be worried about that with ebike assist.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Cabbages and Kings posted:

for me that was "none of them, unless you want a $5000+ e-MTB, or you consider it service if someone will take your hosed Bafang hub off and throw it away and install a new one, which it sounds like is every bike shop here will". Dude I know who works at one says they are accumulating a small empire of hosed Bafang hubs in their back room

hmm I wonder what they are experiencing, over the years I have seen very few 500W/750W motor failures.

the 1000W motors are by far the most robust (now that they replaced nylon gears with steel) motor on the market, that system is downright ironclad in my experience

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Huggybear posted:

the 1000W motors are by far the most robust (now that they replaced nylon gears with steel) motor on the market

If you're shopping for one, how would you know which version is specced?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Huggybear posted:

hmm I wonder what they are experiencing, over the years I have seen very few 500W/750W motor failures.
I don't know the brands, but I see bearing and hall effect sensor failures.

More often for hub drive bikes the problem is in something other than the motor such as the PAS, Throttle, Battery, Display, Controller or wiring harness.

Also, I still need to look at the latest crop of $1k-$2 bikes, but it seemed to me like designers didn't actually follow any specs for brake tab placement. I've already ranted about a couple times in this thread if you want an illustration.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know about bafang hubs but I've literally never seen a bafang middrive that's not needed heavy maintenance/replacement.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't know about bafang hubs but I've literally never seen a bafang middrive that's not needed heavy maintenance/replacement.

I've got close to 10k miles on my BBS02 and I've done zero maintenance on the motor/controller unit. I don't think I'm being particularly easy on my gear but then again I do things like 'gentlely roll onto the power' and 'don't shift under load'.

I did tear apart the IGH it's attached to last summer and it was in decent condition aside from the grease that smelled like burned hair.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Do y'all have any recommendations for - ideally gravel - electric bikes that can accommodate 6'7" riders?

I've got a regular road bike for for-fun rides on flat, but want something for commuting/errands in the v hilly bay area and for biking up in the mountains without dying after a couple miles.

Also, is there a go-to place for ebike reviews, a la sleeplikethedead for mattresses?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What’s your budget?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
~$4,000 or less. My current bike is a 64 cm Trek, but they've apparently stopped making bikes that large a while back. Atm I'm thinking about the Grail:ON; it's currently on sale, and it's one of the few 2XL frames I've found. Realistically, it'd probably just be for commuting and riding for fun. I wouldn't really want to leave it locked up outside.

E: Think I'm going to go for the Canyon! Went and tried out a bunch of max size ebikes locally and they were all too small, so vOv. Definitely fancier than I was initially thinking, but my road bike has been going strong for the last ~11 years so I figure this one'll be with me for a long time too. Just really don't want a bike that doesn't fit, and I'm excited to try something that can take wider tires.

foutre fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 23, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

some interesting design choices here

https://twitter.com/XHscitech/status/1628868619319869440

I'm a bit skeptical, but open to trying a hydrogen powered ebike if they ever become widely available

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

webcams for christ posted:

some interesting design choices here

https://twitter.com/XHscitech/status/1628868619319869440

I'm a bit skeptical, but open to trying a hydrogen powered ebike if they ever become widely available

No mention of energy density, max power, or range comparison to an equivalent lithum battery bike. The fuel cell/motor unit appears to be massive as well.

I'm also open to it but anything hydrogen powered has alot to prove compared to the fairly mature chemical battery options.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Why do prototype bikes always have to gently caress with the wheels? Leave the wheels alone, design students!

Also it’s a dumb idea that won’t happen for many reasons, not the least of which is having to go to the non-existent hydrogen store frequently vs plugging into my wall at home.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Why do prototype bikes always have to gently caress with the wheels? Leave the wheels alone, design students!

Also it’s a dumb idea that won’t happen for many reasons, not the least of which is having to go to the non-existent hydrogen store frequently vs plugging into my wall at home.

maybe Aldi will carry hydogen canisters like they carry CO2 canisters for my soda stream

the real issue I see is producing lots of hydrogen without fossil fuel inputs

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The term 'low pressure hydrogen storage' was new to me. I'd be curious to know what storage method they are employing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Anyone have experience shipping an ebike battery?
Sized up to 2 500kw Bosch ones, so want to sell my original 400 one.
I've never ticked off the box that says I'm mailing a battery, but not gonna try to get by without that for shipping this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's been a while, but I think you just have to ship via ground and notify the shipper that it is a battery.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The time a received a 400wh bosch battery, I don't recall it being packed out of the ordinary. I think it's classified as a UN 3480 battery. Check pages 10 and 11 of this guide: https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phmsa.dot.gov/files/2021-09/Lithium-Battery-Guide.pdf FedEx has some guidance too: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-batteries.html

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Aventon just released a cargo bike that's sort of a tern GSD/HSD clone. $2199 is a pretty good pricepoint. It's still a hub motor, but I wouldn't expect a mid-drive for that price. https://www.aventon.com/products/abound-ebike?variant=42319517483203

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

frogbs posted:

Aventon just released a cargo bike that's sort of a tern GSD/HSD clone. $2199 is a pretty good pricepoint. It's still a hub motor, but I wouldn't expect a mid-drive for that price. https://www.aventon.com/products/abound-ebike?variant=42319517483203

I'm likely going to be shopping for a cargo ebike in that price range. The new Aventon and the Blix Packa Genie stand out so far. But honestly I'm not really sure how to compare within the segment. Does the Lectric cargo compare despite being cheaper?

If money was no issue I'd get a Tern, but it's hard to justify for something to just motor around to nearby parks or stores with a kid on the back.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

We have the Packa Genie and have put around 1500 miles on it during the last year--mostly for daily school runs and park trips. The dual battery version is absolutely required to help it get up hills when carrying passengers. Unfortunately it does require almost constant tinkering to keep it running as it eats brake pads (we live among decent hills), the stock stem is trash and got an OEM replacement before I finally went aftermarket. The rear wheel also throws spokes and tension has to be checked weekly otherwise you'll get a nice "PING" when one decides to spontaneously abandon ship.

That said, it completes the ~2 mi round-trip school run (with 8% outbound gradient) in about 6-7 minutes versus an easy 15-20 minute trip spent sitting in traffic.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
So here's the bike I bought for carrying my kiddos around, my original post:

Nocheez posted:

The best place I've found is the Something Awful forums for real reviews. Seriously, this place has saved me so much money over the years.

I got my Radio Flyer L885 yesterday. It's a fat-tired cargo e-bike with a long tail. You'll quickly notice the running boards, this thing was built around carrying kids and gear.
https://flyer.radioflyer.com/flyer-l885.html

I went a little nuts with the accessories because we just sold our old house and I want this to be our main source of locomotion around the neighborhood for a long time. Mine basically looks like this on the back now:

I had 6 boxes show up yesterday, they had:
-The bike (2000)
-Extra battery (500)
-Kid/Cargo rack (200)
-Baby carrier for my toddler (250)
-Front Basket (100)
-Cell phone mount (20)

I ordered it Thursday and it showed up the following Wednesday from Chicago. It took me about an hour to put it together, but it was easily 30 minutes just unboxing it. The kickstand helps you hold it in place while you assemble and attach everything. The build quality was pretty good for a bike at this price range. I charged the main battery while working and took my little guy on a ride in the dark. It took a minute to figure out how to turn on the headlight, but once we did we went out for an easy 4 miles. Everything seems to work properly, and I'll give a more thorough review after I break it in.

It's been used much less than I would have liked over the winter, but now that spring has fully sprung in the Carolinas I will be riding this thing way more often. Both kids (5 and 1.5 y/o) *love* going for rides. The baby took a few trips before she got used to it, but now she gets pissed if I take the older one for a ride without her.

The brakes absolutely SUCK on this thing. They stop you, but they give you no confidence and I'll be working with my LBS to get something better in the near future. Other than that, I'm hoping to do a 40 or 50 mile trip with the older kid at some point, just to get out and do it. Riding is as easy or hard as you want it to be, and I've never used even 1/4 of the main battery on a trip yet. I have no idea why I thought I might need the extra battery, but I guess it's good to have just in case we start doing long trips.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nocheez posted:

The brakes absolutely SUCK on this thing.
Those are probably close to the cheapest brakes money can buy. The lowest end shimano hydro brakes will probably perform better and need to be adjusted less often, but I don't know of any brakes that meet all these requirements:
Cheap
Good
Have Cutoff switches built into the levers

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Jonny Quest posted:

We have the Packa Genie and have put around 1500 miles on it during the last year--mostly for daily school runs and park trips. The dual battery version is absolutely required to help it get up hills when carrying passengers. Unfortunately it does require almost constant tinkering to keep it running as it eats brake pads (we live among decent hills), the stock stem is trash and got an OEM replacement before I finally went aftermarket. The rear wheel also throws spokes and tension has to be checked weekly otherwise you'll get a nice "PING" when one decides to spontaneously abandon ship.

That said, it completes the ~2 mi round-trip school run (with 8% outbound gradient) in about 6-7 minutes versus an easy 15-20 minute trip spent sitting in traffic.

That's really helpful, thanks! It's also a bit disappointing to hear, as I'd rather not be constantly tinkering. I'm guessing that's just going to be a fact of life in this price point though.

At half the cost of a comparable Tern, though, it's difficult to complain I suppose.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
You can find mechanical disc brake levers with built in cutoff switches, but I haven't seen them for hydraulic brakes. I'm in the process of putting deore brakes on my bbshd surly wednesday build and I'm gonna end up having to hot glue magnets in a not ideal place on the levers to get the cutoff to work. Sucks but I'm not cheaping out on brakes.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

acidx posted:

You can find mechanical disc brake levers with built in cutoff switches, but I haven't seen them for hydraulic brakes. I'm in the process of putting deore brakes on my bbshd surly wednesday build and I'm gonna end up having to hot glue magnets in a not ideal place on the levers to get the cutoff to work. Sucks but I'm not cheaping out on brakes.

Please don't use hot glue on anything related to brakes!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

frogbs posted:

Please don't use hot glue on anything related to brakes!
DIYing the cutoff sensors is okay. It isn't exactly a disaster when they fail.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

frogbs posted:

Using a paddle-operated dropper post for quick seat height adjustment is pretty ambitious for the price point. I know a couple that are 5'4" and 6'1", and they can't quite use the same seatpost on their GSD. I wonder if the ~5" of drop would be enough to fit both of them. Likely, unless they have the same torso length.

incogneato posted:

I'd rather not be constantly tinkering. I'm guessing that's just going to be a fact of life in this price point though.

Trynig out parts to fit you comes with the territory -- not just ebikes but also normal bikes. But those are things that eventually settle out. Not requiring regular interventional service like bad spokes.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

DIYing the cutoff sensors is okay. It isn't exactly a disaster when they fail.

I've had a patch of super strong double-sided foam tape with more regular tape over top holding a magnet onto my brakes for like 5 years. Works great.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The brake cutoff switch the fabrication of which gave me my avatar is mounted with epoxy too, so is the magnet that flips the little switch. It's totally fine. The most likely failure mode is a maximum of 500 watts of regenerative braking which is pretty undramatic.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Thanks for having this thread, y'all; I've been using this forum for life advice for years, and I'm gonna be in the market for another ebike one of these days.

I have a Jetson Bolt Pro, lmao, which I bought from a guy in a bad neighborhood for $300. It's such garbage and I love it.

The motors top out at 16mph and the single gear makes it impossible to ever pedal faster than that, and it's got a decent built in headlight, but it's great for tooling around the neighborhood smoking enough pot to make my horrifyingly bad spine feel fine, and it folds up into my car and has a hilariously small trunk thing on the handlebars that's barely big enough for a couple of drinks.

I feel like I'm definitely gonna need something with bigger wheels though, at some point, and the range is JUST barely not far enough to get me to my new tinder hookup's place and back, and I feel like I can do better, even if I'm poor, if it's gonna get me more conveniently laid.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Chopsy, that's one of the best posts I've read in my over 2 decades on this forum.

Your spine will thank you for a more comfortable ride, it might actually save you money in the long run. Doctors and surgery are the most expensive part of biking.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

acidx posted:

You can find mechanical disc brake levers with built in cutoff switches, but I haven't seen them for hydraulic brakes.
Tektro and Magura both make them

But if your pedelec doesn't stop when you don't pedal it's loving garbage.

acidx posted:

I'm gonna end up having to hot glue magnets

acidx posted:

I'm not cheaping out on brakes.
Please use VHB tape or epoxy.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 2, 2023

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Nocheez posted:

Chopsy, that's one of the best posts I've read in my over 2 decades on this forum.

Your spine will thank you for a more comfortable ride, it might actually save you money in the long run. Doctors and surgery are the most expensive part of biking.

Oh yeah, I feel like good ergos and bigger wheels and some god drat suspension are gonna be a good rear end investment, I just gotta figure out how to build all that on my current budget and mount a burrito holder on the handlebars, so I can live my best life. Then I can pass on my stupid Jetson to my 11 year old and teach her how to be a bike hooligan.

I think my general plan is to retrofit a beater mtb with electric poo poo, with the help of my old roomie who builds ebikes for kicks, and use it as a project to learn how to weld, I guess? I love a build project and I need to build something I can mad max up and bring to Wasteland Weekend; I already committed to heading up a Tour de Franzia at the event in Sept, so that gives me a deadline to get something in working shape that can hold a box of wine.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 2, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Chopsy posted:

the range is JUST barely not far enough to get me to my new tinder hookup's place and back, and I feel like I can do better, even if I'm poor, if it's gonna get me more conveniently laid.

You already have the motivation -- the pedals are right there.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Chopsy posted:

Thanks for having this thread, y'all; I've been using this forum for life advice for years, and I'm gonna be in the market for another ebike one of these days.

I have a Jetson Bolt Pro, lmao, which I bought from a guy in a bad neighborhood for $300. It's such garbage and I love it.

The motors top out at 16mph and the single gear makes it impossible to ever pedal faster than that, and it's got a decent built in headlight, but it's great for tooling around the neighborhood smoking enough pot to make my horrifyingly bad spine feel fine, and it folds up into my car and has a hilariously small trunk thing on the handlebars that's barely big enough for a couple of drinks.

I feel like I'm definitely gonna need something with bigger wheels though, at some point, and the range is JUST barely not far enough to get me to my new tinder hookup's place and back, and I feel like I can do better, even if I'm poor, if it's gonna get me more conveniently laid.

This rules, but the most logical and appropriate upgrade is the Cannondale Compact Neo https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/electric/e-urban/compact-neo/compact-neo

frogbs fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 3, 2023

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

kimbo305 posted:

You already have the motivation -- the pedals are right there.

Have you ever pedaled a 42 lb bike with 12 inch wheels and one speed any significant amount (extra bonus if you're disabled)? If so, I'm sorry, beause I did too and I'd rather not put anyone else through it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If what you want is essentially an electric moped there's a bunch of different brands making entry level "bikes" with a throttle. My FIL got RAD bikes for essentially being able to go get plastered with his wife and they're decent for that. Get something without knobby tires, and a suspension seatpost if you can afford it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Chopsy posted:

Have you ever pedaled a 42 lb bike with 12 inch wheels and one speed any significant amount (extra bonus if you're disabled)? If so, I'm sorry, beause I did too and I'd rather not put anyone else through it.

Mine only weighs 19, but yes, I've singled sped around NYC on my folding bike. Once was to get a slice of Scarr's before my train out of town left in 30min.

Have you checked that the seat is at the right height for you? Do you have a range of motion limitation on either leg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

where would you steer a German who wants to spend only €‎1.200,00 - €‎1.500,00 on a low-step E-Bike?

if it were me, I might be trawling facebook marketplace / local ebay for used models + a new battery, but they're more interested in a new bike I think

they linked me this model from Aldi today as an example