Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The absolute earliest golden-era episode I can think of that feels “off” to me is Lisa’s Rival, and I didn’t come to that conclusion until years after it aired. The subplot with Homer and the sugar definitely feels like something that would happen in season 10+, what with his actions of obtaining and guarding the sugar pile and the entire thing reeking of an unfamiliar wackiness in season 6 that wouldn’t slowly permeate the show until season 9 onward.

It’s not terribly bad, but it definitely doesn’t fit season 6’s humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I didn’t even know it wasn’t an original Simpsons song until years later.

I heard the Amadeus song on the radio one night and was like "oh that's where Troy McClure got it"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The sugar is fantastic golden age B plot, the A plot with her rival is definitely a really weak and shallow script. The sugar reminds me a lot of the Willie's retirement grease and that's never a bad thing.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I thought that the retirement grease was Lisa's Rival but then I remembered it was the similar 'Lisa is disrupted by a new girl showing up' Lard of the Dance.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think we can all agree that the telltale signs were in Lemon of Troy and every episode since then was a hollow, spiteful drudgery

This is generally a well-regarded episode, isn't it? I hated it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Toxic Mental posted:

Roast me. I've said it before: I don't think Homer at the Bat is even in the top 25 and Homer The Vigilante is one of the worst golden age episodes.

Post your top 25

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

I heard the Amadeus song on the radio one night and was like "oh that's where Troy McClure got it"

:hfive:

i heard it for the first time in that movie with the guy from the Social Network, but where he works at an amusement park or some poo poo

Toxic Mental posted:

Roast me. I've said it before: I don't think Homer at the Bat is even in the top 25 and Homer The Vigilante is one of the worst golden age episodes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My least favorite episode from the good seasons is Bart gets an Elephant. It’s just not very funny imo

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hatty posted:

My least favorite episode from the good seasons is Bart gets an Elephant. It’s just not very funny imo

is it cos stampy's a jerk?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

my favourite part of this thread is when goons start making GBS threads on random top 10 episodes

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Looks familiar

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Das Boo posted:

This is generally a well-regarded episode, isn't it? I hated it.

I was just loving around. It's one of my favorite episodes.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I might be able to come up with 25 episodes I like more than Homer at the Bat but the joke density in that episode is insane, it's absolutely Simpsons at the top of its game.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah I'm not gonna do it but the best are Last Exit to Springfield because yeah it is just that good, Treehouse of Horror V, and probably my "weird" pick Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily and yes I had to google that one's name

The best joke overall is "He was a zombie?" from THoH III though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think we can all agree that the telltale signs were in Lemon of Troy and every episode since then was a hollow, spiteful drudgery

Lemon of Troy I always felt is a really weird and unique episode. You see a kinda very different dynamic with the schoolboys all teaming up, involving characters that don't often get that kind of focus, and overall it feels almost like a different kind of show for a bit.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just the other day I watched Patrick H Willems' video dissecting Lemon of Troy as the perfect Simpsons episode.

I prefer Flaming Moe's, personally.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Looks familiar

What site is used for ratings? IMDB? And has anyone ever found the mean score of a Simpsons episode?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder how many people think the Flaming Moe's song was a pure Simpsons invention and have never heard of Cheers

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Who Shot Mister Burns Part 1 was really good too. They should make a whole show that's nothing but good episodes like that

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I was just loving around. It's one of my favorite episodes.

I wasn't. :colbert:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1612570029182144527

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well there's a clickbait article if I've seen one.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Data Graham posted:

I wonder how many people think the Flaming Moe's song was a pure Simpsons invention and have never heard of Cheers
The real challenge is who out there gets the Shelley Long references.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

I'm reminded of someone who genuinely couldn't understand that a young person watching (or featured in) Adventure Time could have never heard of Cheers.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i'm willing to write a ragebait-y contrarian "re-evaluation" of any arbitrary classic simpsons episode, just cut me a check or something

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Who shot mr burns is the Simpsons equivalent of TNG's best of both worlds, please watch my ten hour video essay embroidering on this point

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Best joke of all time was "fiddle dee dee, that will require a tetanus shot."

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

As a non-American the only baseball players I can name are Babe Ruth and the entire cast of Homer at the Bat

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

and mark mcguire

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bitterandtwisted posted:

As a non-American the only baseball players I can name are Babe Ruth and the entire cast of Homer at the Bat

I still can't name them all, but I do know since that episode most of them haven't been doing that way.

Poor that one dude last seen going into a mystery spot. :(

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Sentient Data posted:

Looks familiar

Bob's Burgers started its decline with Season 5 in my opinion.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Best joke of all time was "fiddle dee dee, that will require a tetanus shot."

you're mocking that but that whole scene had me laughing some of the hardest i've ever laughed at a simpsons joke when i was young :colbert:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Bob's Burgers started its decline with Season 5 in my opinion.

it started when they made every episode a musical

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Mr Interweb posted:

you're mocking that but that whole scene had me laughing some of the hardest i've ever laughed at a simpsons joke when i was young :colbert:

I'm not. It's the line from the show I'm most likely to say at any given moment. I just about died laughing when I first heard that line. The delivery is sublime.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mantis42 posted:

I recently found out this has something to do with securing a bigger cut on royalties and while I support folks getting paid, I now have a little sour, cynical little note in the back of my head everytime a show breaks into song.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe not the best single JOKE ever but probably the best sustained uproarious hilarity being shared by the audience caught up in the moment was in Dead Putting Society, when Homer and Bart are reading Flanders' letter and shrieking with laughter over his "bosom" line. Marge furiously scolds them for making light of his opening his heart and goes stomping out of the kitchen, and as soon as she's around the corner goes *SNOOORT*

Was watching that whole bit with my family and it took us a while to get our composure back. Just the way the show played the audience like a harp, keeping the comedic tension that high for that long

e: lol this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtWWEMMKg0k

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 2, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

It worked for Phineas and Ferb at least.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Not sure if these is one for the meme thread or here, but what is the most recent episode/season to have generated a “Simpsons reference” that people get outside the context of the show?

Are there any good lines, if not episodes, after the golden era?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If you don't count season 8 or after as in the golden era there's still quite a few. I just checked Season nine and that had the famous Ralph "i'm a banana" and "were in danger" just before there bus crash off a bridge in the the Lord of the flies parody episode, there was the Simpsons go to New York episode that gets quoted a bit, and The Halloween episode had the Bart turning into the fly part in it.

There was also the Trash collector episode, where homer becomes department head of trash collecting, which um was not good but Steve Martin guest stared and the election banter between him and homer is remembered pretty fondly by people (probably one of the last good guest stars actually).

I quickly checked 10, and couldn't see any, but honestly couldn't remember most of the episodes from the descriptions so possibly missed something good here or there. ....after that I'd tentatively say no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

Not sure if these is one for the meme thread or here, but what is the most recent episode/season to have generated a “Simpsons reference” that people get outside the context of the show?

Are there any good lines, if not episodes, after the golden era?

Stupid Sexy Flanders was season 11