Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the omens are ostracized through no fault of their own.

Have you been to the sewers? Those guys are total dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Have you been to the sewers? Those guys are total dicks.

Okay but how chill and fun would you be if you were locked in a haunted poo poo dungeon from birth and then after 30 years some rear end in a top hat in shiny gold armor suddenly kicks your door in and starts stabbing your dogs (gargoyles) and stealing your stuff?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

John Murdoch posted:

IIRC, that crab does death blight, which only works on players or player-like NPCs. So a happy little accident.

Using a Bewitching branch on that crab is actually a really easy way to deal with Dung eater

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

CommonShore posted:

is there any explanation for the focal point of the 6 great rune towers arranged in a hexagon surrounding a spot in the middle of the sea with a cloud drawn on it

dollars to donuts that will become a dlc area at some point, maybe not in the just announced one but an upcoming one for sure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I see sacred blade got buffed. Can you make a build around it that can beat the game ?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

euphronius posted:

I see sacred blade got buffed. Can you make a build around it that can beat the game ?

Sort of. It’s really good for most of the game but unfortunately terrible against, for example, the final boss

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

Holy becomes situational (as most things do) in late game since most bosses resist it, but especially starting out it's super strong and both the projectile and weapon buff put down skeletons immediately and it does loads of damage to anything undead. For anything holy resistant, you can just use something like Flaming Strike instead and it'll scale to your faith with Flame Art. It's only really an issue for somber weapons.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

skasion posted:

We know that there are prophecies that the Erdtree will burn, and that these are considered bad, but this doesn’t say it “would be” a sin, but that it “is”. One could logically infer from this that the tree has been burnt, if not for the fact that it is still there and seems to have suffered no particular ill effects till we get our hands on it.

I'm afraid that's not the case - saying "[hypothetical action] is a sin" is common usage, generally used interchangeably with "it would be a sin to [hypothetical action]"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm afraid that's not the case - saying "[hypothetical action] is a sin" is common usage, generally used interchangeably with "it would be a sin to [hypothetical action]"

Well, yeah, but usually only when talking about things like "murder" or "onanism" that actually happen frequently.

Saying "this is the cardinal sin" is very strong and specific language for something unless it's either a) happened before or b) you're extremely concerned by the possibility that it may happen in future.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dropping a nuke on the Vatican would probably be seen by many as a cardinal sin , at very least by all the cardinals it would evaporate,. however such an act remains largely theoretical.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dropping a nuke on the Vatican would probably be seen by many as a cardinal sin , at very least by all the cardinals it would evaporate,. however such an act remains largely theoretical.

That's the point. Nobody is going around saying "Nuking the Vatican is the cardinal sin" today, because it's never happened before and isn't seen as likely.

If I read a novel where priests were constantly referencing that nuking the Vatican was the cardinal sin, I would take it as an implication that the Vatican had either been nuked before or was under severe threat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rand Brittain posted:

That's the point. Nobody is going around saying "Nuking the Vatican is the cardinal sin" today, because it's never happened before and isn't seen as likely.

If I read a novel where priests were constantly referencing that nuking the Vatican was the cardinal sin, I would take it as an implication that the Vatican had either been nuked before or was under severe threat.

i think that it's in reference to the giants loving around with the flame of ruin and potentially destroying the erdtree. the age of the erdtree or w/e is supposed to have started when the giants were defeated and the flame was sealed, so that makes sense that that'd be rule #1.

if anyone did burn down the erdtree it would have been the gloam eye queen and the godskin apostles since you find out in the game that the flame of ruin can't actually seriously harm the erdtree without the rune of death.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The age of plenty ended, presumably with the burning of the erdtree. I wonder if it was after that that Marika went to war against Liurnia and the Fire Giants, and the "age of the erdtree" she talks about was the age in which the erdtree was an object of faith. Wonder if that would make sense...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sooo... does anyone else think there was some script fuckery with the weird delayed burning of the tree? You set it off like okay this is going to be the big turning point, no going back...but then actually once you find the first grace you can nope out of CFA and the tree is in a weird not-quite burning state and it only REALLY kicks off after Maliketh. It just feels very wonky to not clearly and concisely tie the end of Melina's journey with the end of the tree.

I dunno if it's just that this thread put it into my head that CFA could've easily been DLC, but it really does feel like a tacked-on chapter that doesn't amount to much. Like I'm sure you can weave together a yarn about the importance of the rune of death w/r/t to kicking off the very final actually for real endgame, but pacing-wise it's all very herky-jerky.

Edit: Oh, and the very DS3-esque "random teleport to shove you into the endgame because these two areas otherwise aren't connected".

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 2, 2023

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
A tree that big takes some time to burn. Plus maybe something with freeing destined death that makes the tree actually….die

Also my first time through I sorta forgot about Melina at that point so I can’t really judge pacing I think

wyoak fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 2, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not deep in the lore, but I think the rune of death allows the burning. I'm not sure how it's associated, but when people start talking about going to the mountains/burning the tree, everyone says NO YOU CAN'T USE THE RUNE OF DEATH

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I like the image and it's possible implications but i super duper think it's a piece of concept art that they slapped on a tweet to satisfy the expectation of there being SOME announcement a year after the game's release. Maybe i'll be proven wrong when it comes out a year and a half from now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Excited for Elden Ring: Silksong.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

John Murdoch posted:

Sooo... does anyone else think there was some script fuckery with the weird delayed burning of the tree? You set it off like okay this is going to be the big turning point, no going back...but then actually once you find the first grace you can nope out of CFA and the tree is in a weird not-quite burning state and it only REALLY kicks off after Maliketh. It just feels very wonky to not clearly and concisely tie the end of Melina's journey with the end of the tree.

I dunno if it's just that this thread put it into my head that CFA could've easily been DLC, but it really does feel like a tacked-on chapter that doesn't amount to much. Like I'm sure you can weave together a yarn about the importance of the rune of death w/r/t to kicking off the very final actually for real endgame, but pacing-wise it's all very herky-jerky.

Edit: Oh, and the very DS3-esque "random teleport to shove you into the endgame because these two areas otherwise aren't connected".

That whole part of the game seems cobbled together and fairly nonsensical, but the Erdtree burning thing fits. The game establishes the fact that it's grace that keeps resurrecting the player when they die, and is the source of immortality for everyone else as well. Grace is the Erdtree's magic, so it makes sense that the thing bestowing immortality on others is also immortal itself. The Rune of Death and its powers are capable of killing characters with grace, though, so the idea was presumably to poison the Erdtree with the Rune and then burn it down.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

turn off the TV posted:

That whole part of the game seems cobbled together and fairly nonsensical, but the Erdtree burning thing fits. The game establishes the fact that it's grace that keeps resurrecting the player when they die, and is the source of immortality for everyone else as well. Grace is the Erdtree's magic, so it makes sense that the thing bestowing immortality on others is also immortal itself. The Rune of Death and its powers are capable of killing characters with grace, though, so the idea was presumably to poison the Erdtree with the Rune and then burn it down.

I feel like that just creates the same problem in the opposite direction. Why start the burning before the rune of death was unshackled if it wasn't going to take until then? I guess what got me down this path was the discussion about the cutscene. For how much everyone is making GBS threads their pants about burning the tree, you go burn it and then...nah j/k nothing really happens yet. Kill some rear end in a top hat in CFA? Oh gently caress, the tree is burning!!! :qq:

It's not that there's zero connective tissue I guess, but the player is given such astoundingly little context even by the standards set by the rest of the game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like that just creates the same problem in the opposite direction. Why start the burning before the rune of death was unshackled if it wasn't going to take until then? I guess what got me down this path was the discussion about the cutscene. For how much everyone is making GBS threads their pants about burning the tree, you go burn it and then...nah j/k nothing really happens yet. Kill some rear end in a top hat in CFA? Oh gently caress, the tree is burning!!! :qq:

It's not that there's zero connective tissue I guess, but the player is given such astoundingly little context even by the standards set by the rest of the game.

imo the funniest part is Alexander, the dude whose entire gimmick up until that point was getting stuck in easily traversable locations. Dude couldn't' even get passed a wooden door.

And he's just there, chilling out in CFA for some reason.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
when you kill the rear end in a top hat in CFA a cutscene plays that says "now the rune of death is unbound so the erdtree can properly burn, great job"

It isn't clear how you actually get to CFA in the first place, from the context Melina burning somehow teleports you there I guess? It's something I don't think any of the lore guys have gone into. Maybe Tarnished Archaeologist can get to the bottom of it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

2house2fly posted:

when you kill the rear end in a top hat in CFA a cutscene plays that says "now the rune of death is unbound so the erdtree can properly burn, great job"

It isn't clear how you actually get to CFA in the first place, from the context Melina burning somehow teleports you there I guess? It's something I don't think any of the lore guys have gone into. Maybe Tarnished Archaeologist can get to the bottom of it

I'm pretty sure that you travel to CFA via the powers that sent Alexander there, cut content and deadlines.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Endgame in review:

Crumbling Farum Azula was okay, but as said felt like a tacked-on DLC chapter. Verrry similar in feel to Archdragon Peak, but that was optional. And DS3 definitely wouldn't have been improved by making it mandatory and abducting the player (again). The only justification - and not even an explanation - for why you end up there is a line or two from Melina. Really not sure what happened there. The highly stratified enemy placement felt a bit tedious, as did all of the dragon spam.

The Dragon Lord fight was pretty drat good, maybe even one of the best in the game. I just don't understand why it's hidden away in a needlessly obtuse way with no build-up. I guess it's the equivalent of Midir, but given the lack of quality in many of the other endgame bosses maybe hiding this one and making it optional was a bad idea. I know some folks hate the teleporting but I thought it was tolerable.

Meanwhile Maliketh is absolutely obnoxious. The first phase has so few openings and even when you do take them, oops his cloak obscured what he was doing and now you're eating his overtuned spells. Phase two feels more like a proper boss, but he just refuses to stay still and it takes forever to find an opening (and yes, there's the special parry but the boss definitely shouldn't be designed around it that aggressively if it's optional). I think the arena is another culprit for why the fight feels like poo poo. The pillars seem like an attempt to give you some cover from all the ranged attacks, but they block your view quite a lot and some attacks can go straight through them. Oh and the whole thing is ringed with a pit, for that added spice. And of course with all the leaping around and his size it turns into a big fight with the camera too.

Godfrey is okay but a little too chaotic at times. Maybe it's because I had Shabriri along but a few times I legit had no idea what Godfrey was doing because it was just all of the particle effects at once. Hardly a new observation but he certainly is king of the cartoonishly slow telegraph. Otherwise this was about the point where the feeling of being over/properly leveled kicked back in so the fight was kind of a blur, dodged some attacks, ate some poo poo, didn't matter he ate more poo poo.

Radagon was annoying just because of how much he can blow up half the screen with every other attack, but at this point it was Mimic Tear time so he didn't last long. Same with Elden Beast, that thing got completely chumped and I wasn't the least bit intimidated.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Flame and death are linked. Melina’s character is a daughter of Marika who exists to burn and die, and if prevented from burning comes back to unleash death on your rear end. “The one who walks alongside flame will one day tread the road of Destined Death.” Melina is sending you to Farum Azula the same way she sent you to Roundtable at the start, and she’s telling you why she’s doing it.

Alexander tried jumping

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You get to Farum Azula by riding the elevator that takes you to the sky. Bing bong so simple!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If Alexander can get to where you found him in Caelid he can get to CFA. Maybe it's totally normal for people to do it and we're the weird one. He has all the power of a huge pot full of powerful warriors, show some respect!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

i think a dragon carried alexander there

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think lighting the fire in the forge made a big plume of smoke and you rode it up a tornado to CFA and Alexander also rode the smoke up a tornado to CFA.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

*"Song Of Honor" from the Elden Ring OST plays over a landscape shot of Agheel Lake*
Vaati: Did a dragon carry Alexander to crumbling Faram Azula? *chuckles* Well,

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It doesn't say anywhere that a dragon DIDN'T carry him to CFA. Possibly as a show of respect for a life saved after a long a hard fought quest, perhaps.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

turn off the TV posted:

imo the funniest part is Alexander, the dude whose entire gimmick up until that point was getting stuck in easily traversable locations. Dude couldn't' even get passed a wooden door.

And he's just there, chilling out in CFA for some reason.

Alexander absorbed Radahn's incredible jumping powers when he added his corpse to his jar and that's what he used to get there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Flying Zamboni posted:

Alexander absorbed Radahn's incredible jumping powers when he added his corpse to his jar and that's what he used to get there.

if alexander absorbed radahn why is he a complete chump

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alexander popping out of the ground in Crumbling Farum Azula: I knew I should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

I think lighting the fire in the forge made a big plume of smoke and you rode it up a tornado to CFA and Alexander also rode the smoke up a tornado to CFA.

I would have liked an elevator.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

if alexander absorbed radahn why is he a complete chump

Radahn is also a complete chump now, he was nerfed IIRC in the same patch the pot quests all got fixed so it lines up

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i felt very bad at the end of that quest, dude wanted to go out a real warrior and he was less dangerous than the one of the normal enemies you run into 60 seconds later

Epic High Five posted:

Radahn is also a complete chump now, he was nerfed IIRC in the same patch the pot quests all got fixed so it lines up

gently caress pre nerf radahn, they need to bring back pre nerf alexander

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like that just creates the same problem in the opposite direction. Why start the burning before the rune of death was unshackled if it wasn't going to take until then?

Eternally burning tree looks cool.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
As someone who fought Radahn in all three stages he's been set to I remember them as

1. Base Game. "Holy gently caress, and this is AFTER he's been rotting away for like a thousand years? No loving wonder this Malenia chick needed to take the nuclear option dear God."

2. First Patch: "Holy poo poo, I think Blaidd is gonna kill him before I even make it up the Hill. Do I actually have to be here?"

3. Current: He's okay. Still got some bite to him, gonna make people who aren't dodge gods or refuse to use shields sweat. More spectacle than challenge though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Huh. Having now looked up the alternate burning cutscene for if you're forced to do it yourself...ending up in CFA still doesn't make sense, but throwing yourself into a magical fire and then waking up there works a bit better at least? Though rewatching the Melina version it's now a bit more obvious to me that she's sending you there herself, but like many a cutscene in the game it's very abrupt and nonchalant about it. Nor does it really solve the actual question of why Farum Azula. Makes me think they separately had the Maliketh stuff planned and Farum Azula designed as an endgame area, and then had to mash them together in order to finish the game rather than give Maliketh his own whole bespoke location.

I also tried digging back through dialogue to remind myself when and where they establish the rune of death stuff and they...kind of don't? Once you're in that phase of the game, Enia randomly brings it up in the middle of talking about the thorns and the burning: "And you say you seek power of the Rune of Death, too?" as if your character is already well in the know about it themselves. Then Melina makes a reference to Death as part of her big cutscene. Something's definitely off here. Especially because all it would take is for Melina to have a single line at the Erdtree grace that boiled down to "I'll worry about the fire, you'll worry about the rune of death, in tandem the tree will burn" and everything would mesh together.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 2, 2023