Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

yes, but they don't do any operations like that with it. Or do they? I thought it was still all training stuff

edit: yeah it looks like ~5 years of tests and poo poo before the fujian would actually be deployed. sounds like they plan to have 6 or so by 2035 though. that was fast

China went from not even being in the top 10 for global steel production to producing about twice as much steel as every other country in the world combined in less than a generation, when the Chinese state really commits to something they can do it blindingly fast by Western standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lo-fi charts to chill out to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnM-RQI23Y

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Thats just a rehash of the old hong kong vs china series of "minimalist" crap

https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/graphics-showing-why-hong-kong-not-china-shared-widely/

lmfao jesus

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1630342126587482113

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smh carbs as the foundation of a diet is so outdated. bonemeal is much healthier

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol a trillion dollar game of stop poking me

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol journalist doesn't know he's a sacrificial pawn in US's plan to provoke china

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hong Kong has the cancer of western liberalism

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

they're sometimes pretty much right, in a boring observational way.

but then like half of them are about how asian people avoid problems, westerners speak directly what they mean and asian people don't (this is a japan stereotype?), think western food is trendy? Take photos when on vacation (another japan stereotype? westerners don't take photos?)

and yah those ones are gross. but not as bad as the hong kong ones.

westerners don't like rain, asian people like it??

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah this picture instantly bring me back to the summer of 19.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm suddenly reminded of the 2000s 'economic transition'(privatization and destruction of a bunch of social policies) propaganda in Serbia, with a similar 'stereotype' divide between 'savages who want to keep us in the previous century' and 'those looking towards a bright european future'. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same people helped workshop this poo poo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

narrator: god did not destroy the chinese communist party

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
this only leads us to conclude that the Party is God.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't want to be mean but Hong Kongers are one of the very few people who embraced colonialism. I can't think of a different example. I am not talking about Anglo colonialists who embrace the new land after they get rip of the natives.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

China went from not even being in the top 10 for global steel production to producing about twice as much steel as every other country in the world combined in less than a generation, when the Chinese state really commits to something they can do it blindingly fast by Western standards

If anything I think how long they're taking with their carrier is proof they know they don't actually need one for anything and it's just a willy waving thing

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
It was a mix of that and basic elitism because Hong Kong was a cosmopolitan and fairly rich city for 50 years or so, and then suddenly they lost both that economic position and the privileged status to people they viewed as rural hicks. It had been stewing for a while and ofc the US tried to work its finger in there as well. I don't have much sympathy because frankly, no concession would've made the protestors happy, because '80s Hong Kong wasn't going to come back in a century when Guanzhou and Shanghai are bigger and more developed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't want to be mean but Hong Kongers are one of the very few people who embraced colonialism. I can't think of a different example. I am not talking about Anglo colonialists who embrace the new land after they get rip of the natives.

don't confuse the HKers that get platformed by western media with the majority of people there

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah they're just kind of made up and they do generally extend out in whatever direction flights are expected to come from. obviously civil aviation obeys them because they dont care. military flights will just do whatever and get intercepted or not. the adiz around alaska is where most of those russian bear flights get intercepted and they dont give a gently caress. They're not internationally recognized or anything. you can't really "violate" them in that sense (not that international law is real) but they're really just showing where civil planes need to start talking and where military flights would expect to get maverick flipping them off.

Is the Canadian ADZ set up over the arctic archipelago like that (instead of it just being Canadian NORAD over land) because the US refuses to recognize Canadian arctic sovereignty?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1631102785616740355

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Can someone please turn on the west's monitor??

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
free korea

https://twitter.com/pstAsiatech/status/1630908058623721472?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/jooeysiiu/status/1631029391986683904
https://twitter.com/jooeysiiu/status/1631029402493497348
https://twitter.com/jooeysiiu/status/1631029408256360448
https://twitter.com/jooeysiiu/status/1631029415286013955
https://twitter.com/jooeysiiu/status/1631029420486979592
https://twitter.com/jooeysiiu/status/1631029425021100035

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Honk Kong jooey

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/HubCAPodcast/status/1631104539523784706

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

obama literally tweeted out to vote for the Liberal Party on election day lol

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-02/china-critical-future-technologies-west-aspi-report/102041318

quote:

China on track to dominate development of critical future technologies at expense of US, ASPI report says

quote:

A ground-breaking new report has warned Western governments that China is in a prime position to dominate critical future technologies in a vast array of fields after establishing a "sometimes stunning" lead in research and development.

Key points:
The ASPI report found China is beating the US in 37 of 44 technologies
They included artificial intelligence, robotics, biotechnology and advanced manufacturing
The think tank says China is particularly dominant in research for the defence, security and space sectors
The Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) "critical tech tracker" found China is beating the United States in 37 of 44 technologies which are likely to propel innovation, growth and military power in coming decades, including artificial intelligence, robotics, biotechnology, advanced manufacturing, and quantum technology.

The report says the US is the leading innovator in only seven technologies — including quantum computing and vaccines — and ranks second to China in most other categories.

While a "second tier" of countries — including India, the United Kingdom, South Korea, Germany and Australia — have also developed advanced research capabilities, they still lag far behind the two great powers.

ASPI's Jamie Gaida, who co-authored the report, said while China's research edge did not translate into technological superiority right now, Beijing had built the foundations to position itself as the world's leading science and technology power.

The report found China was generating just under half of the top research papers into advanced aircraft engines and hypersonics.
"We were pretty surprised by how dramatic the lead is in some of these technologies," Dr Gaida told the ABC.

"In some of these technologies we are seeing China is publishing approximately 65 per cent of the world's top research within that technology area.

"It's striking. It's really profound.

"Current research doesn't directly translate to current defence capability or manufacturing capability, but surely if you want to be in the best position to be in the lead in say five years' time — well, of course you want to be in the forefront of innovation and breakthrough research."

China attracts top level scientists, report finds
The report shows China is particularly dominant when it comes to research for the defence, security and space sectors, often producing more than five times as much high-impact research as its closest competitor — which is almost always the US.

For example, China generated just under half of the top research papers into advanced aircraft engines and hypersonics, and hosts most of the institutions leading development of the technology.

:xickos:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
🎈

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol ASPI trying to scaremonger about china tech and making china's development system look good

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
don’t worry folks, the orientals lack the creative gene which allows for innovation.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

The race to be the next most important technological powerhouse is a close one between the UK and India, both of which claim a place in the top five countries in 29 of the 44 technologies. South Korea and Germany follow closely behind, appearing in the top five countries in 20 and 17 technologies, respectively. Australia is in the top five for nine technologies, followed closely by Italy (seven technologies), Iran (six), Japan (four) and Canada (four). Russia, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, France, Malaysia and the Netherlands are in the top five for one or two technologies. A number of other countries, including Spain and Turkey, regularly make the top 10 countries but aren’t in the top five.

Iran doing better than Japan, France, Canada and Russia lmao

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the us could be friends with china and work together on tech opportunities but we're too racist lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/business/status/1630891185823776771

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

oh no china is dominating the US in solar panels, we have to stop them. no, we can't invest in it ourselves.

here's the list

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Gildiss posted:

Can someone please turn on the west's monitor??

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

crepeface posted:

oh no china is dominating the US in solar panels, we have to stop them. no, we can't invest in it ourselves.

here's the list

no surprises China dominates in the field of materialism :smug:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its almost like having an actual functioning higher education system instead of legalized robbery with academic overtones is a good thing if you want scientific advancement

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Especially when you combine that with a state going "these fields are super important in the future so we need people to go in on that poo poo and also if you do you better believe there is going to be research funding and jobs aplenty".

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Orange Devil posted:

Especially when you combine that with a state going "these fields are super important in the future so we need people to go in on that poo poo and also if you do you better believe there is going to be research funding and jobs aplenty".

bertrand russell about a hundred years ago

quote:

Although Chinese civilization has hitherto been deficient in science, it never contained anything hostile to science, and therefore the spread of scientific knowledge encounters no such obstacles as the Church put in its way in Europe. I have no doubt that if the Chinese could get a stable government and sufficient funds, they would, within the next thirty years, begin to produce remarkable work in science. It is quite likely that they might outstrip us, because they come with fresh zest and with all the ardour of a renaissance. In fact, the enthusiasm for learning in Young China reminds one constantly of the renaissance spirit in fifteenth-century Italy.

quote:

The three chief requisites, I should say, are: (1) The establishment of an orderly Government; (2) industrial development under Chinese control; (3) The spread of education. All these aims will have to be pursued concurrently, but on the whole their urgency seems to me to come in the above order. We have already seen how large a part the State will have to take in building up industry, and how impossible this is while the political anarchy continues. Funds for education on a large scale are also unobtainable until there is good government. Therefore good government is the prerequisite of all other reforms. Industrialism and education are closely connected, and it would be difficult to decide the priority between them; but I have put industrialism first, because, unless it is developed very soon by the Chinese, foreigners will have acquired such a strong hold that it will be very difficult indeed to oust them. These reasons have decided me that our three problems ought to be taken in the above order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Weka posted:

Dang the PLA trains them young.

its either a dog or a kid no other choices