Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

El Fideo posted:

There are some jobber bots I like and some jobber bots I don't care about. I like hijinx, but it might be more the aesthetic and the team. Jen Herchenroeder is the most fun as a captain.

Yeah, everything about Hijinx other than its performance is great. It's a charismatic enough bot and team that I really want it to do better, or at least look more like a contender instead of a tomato can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The biggest problem with Hijinx is that its primary defense gets in the way of its primary weapon. It is very hard to deliver that weapon into another bot precisely because they are typically running the bot 'butt first' to take hits. And they have to, because otherwise the bot has no defenses.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think they always led with the wedge, but yes the matches where they do that are measurably more boring.

RotatoR has the same problem. Victor Soto's fights are snoozefests more and more.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
But you see he wears glittery robes (like judge Derek did in early seasons) and whines a lot about judging (without being entertaining like Hydra Jake) and also isn't very good

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

I don't think they always led with the wedge, but yes the matches where they do that are measurably more boring.

RotatoR has the same problem. Victor Soto's fights are snoozefests more and more.

Rotator is at least capable of doing that Tombstone thing where it turns the blade into the opponent. Hijinx's wheel struts prevent that kind of thing.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
It was funny seeing Triton try getting cute with that Tombstone feigned flight move and get absolutely rocked for its trouble. Driving is really difficult, and most teams don't have someone like Daniel Frietas or Matt Vasquez. Keeping one's bearings in the middle of a pitched fight and mastering timing must be especially tough.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Rotator is at least capable of doing that Tombstone thing where it turns the blade into the opponent. Hijinx's wheel struts prevent that kind of thing.

Being "we have Tombstone at home, Tombstone at home:" is not high praise. RotatoR just doesn't have enough power to make that strategy fun to watch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

Being "we have Tombstone at home, Tombstone at home:" is not high praise. RotatoR just doesn't have enough power to make that strategy fun to watch.

From a competitive standpoint, the wedge part is way more durable than Tombstone so it's more likely to win at this point.

As far as watchability, no it's fights usually aren't exciting.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Optimizing bots on the Tombstone-Duck spectrum is the eternal struggle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rotator was more fun with two blades

it sucked but it was more fun

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gruff-Witch Doctor: Kinda just a question now of if a good team will KO Gruff or beat them by JD.

Valkyrie-Malice: :lol: at the synchronized swimming ending. Glad the knockout rules include this "no one can engage double knockout" rather than sitting around on that for another 90 seconds.

Very surprised by the initial decision. Good call to use the challenge on it, although the TV show needs to work on how to present a challenge.

The poor Valkyrie team captain looked like she wanted to curl up into a ball and disappear during all the post-match discussion of the scoring.

I don't know if the appeal actually works the way they implied with editing that it works, but it shouldn't be a team presenting an argument to the judges because you can see from the demeanors in this one that some teams just won't have the ability or inclination to argue their cases. It should just be, "Judges, go watch all the angles on the video until you're satisfied you have your scorecard right."

Lisa switching her control and aggression scores on the appeal indicates though that they did take a holistic look at the fight and were not only looking at the Malice team's argument about weapon function like the show implied.

Madcatter-Big Dill: Heh, the minibot has a tiny folding chair.

Where did this great fight come from? What a slugfest.

I think the judges got it right, but that was close.

Jackpot-Ribbot: As good as advertised. God, Ribbot looks so much better with the undercutter.

Sawblaze-Skorpios: Whoa, they brought the Overkill blade. That is bitchin'

It's funny how miffed Chris is about Skorpios ruining the hammersaw battle.

:lol: Blade is immediately obviously a bad idea as it just tips Skorpios over backward from all the weight.

Ripperoni-Hijinx: Flywheel worked, Ripperoni wins. Copperhead is an interesting test for them.

End Game-Hypershock: Oh my god, build a self-righter Hypershock. Obviously it wouldn't have helped in the end, but they spent so long in the short corner on their back getting jacked up.

Speculation based on these matches: Witch Doctor vs. Minotaur winner has to be the top seed right? The winner will be 4-0 and both teams had brutal schedules (Minotaur especially).

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 2, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah this seems like a really crappy way to do or present that appeals process, but Malice definitely won that one.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 2, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I would really hate it if the appeals process was "who can argue their case better?" The fights should speak for themselves, and it's a good idea to have a mechanism where the judges can re-review the footage, but they should be trusted to make the right call on review without someone chirping at them to look at this or that.

Maybe the match steward can shed some light on it since he posts here! I'm probably reading too much into the brief, heavily edited bits shown on TV, but it looked like Malice's captain laid out a good case for what the judges should review more closely, but on the other side, Valkyrie's captain felt super loving awkward and didn't want anything to do with the process and did not muster any arguments for her side. And she shouldn't have to; they're bot builders not lawyers.

But like I said, Lisa's score card changed so much that it seems to me they went back and looked at everything. Ultimately, the process did result in them correcting a bad initial call too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There was a few seconds of Lisa pointed out in the video that Malice's weapon was running at the end of the match so I think it's both that they present their argument and what to look for (or not), then the judges take a look anyway. Valkyrie's captain seemed shell shocked though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It was ultimately a bad strategic decision for Malice to spin down their weapon. I don't know if they knew about the double KO possibility, but their strategy of spinning the weapon up during the countdown to show function left a whole lot of room for the judges to miss it. I guess it's also possible their weapon was just busted until the last 10 seconds of the fight when it started working again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of strategy lol Skorpios

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You gotta be able to carry the Buster Sword before you can swing the Buster Sword.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of strategy lol Skorpios

Reminds me of whatever previous season it was where I believe hypershock had a fuckin rake attached to it and used it to take out a flying bot

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNk5-3fGNqI

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Scrotum Modem posted:

Reminds me of whatever previous season it was where I believe hypershock had a fuckin rake attached to it and used it to take out a flying bot

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNk5-3fGNqI

I always lol at "It actually worked"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So many teams forget a self-righter.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Just do a gyro!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tunicate posted:

So many teams have said "Biteforce didn't need a self-righter," to which I say, "So your bot is as stable as Biteforce?" Cause Biteforce was one stable mother fucker. You can get away with not having a self-righter if you never leave the ground. Not otherwise.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The pizza intro was cute

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I would really hate it if the appeals process was "who can argue their case better?" The fights should speak for themselves, and it's a good idea to have a mechanism where the judges can re-review the footage, but they should be trusted to make the right call on review without someone chirping at them to look at this or that.

Maybe the match steward can shed some light on it since he posts here! I'm probably reading too much into the brief, heavily edited bits shown on TV, but it looked like Malice's captain laid out a good case for what the judges should review more closely, but on the other side, Valkyrie's captain felt super loving awkward and didn't want anything to do with the process and did not muster any arguments for her side. And she shouldn't have to; they're bot builders not lawyers.

But like I said, Lisa's score card changed so much that it seems to me they went back and looked at everything. Ultimately, the process did result in them correcting a bad initial call too.

Haven't watched the edit yet, but the process was roughly this:

Team says they're appealing
I meet with a rep from each team to talk over their arguments
I bring the arguments to the judges who are able to rewatch the fight while considering the arguments. I'm also right there to clarify any criteria questions they may have. (The criteria's solid, but teams always come up with something new)
The judges then can choose to create a new scorecard or stay with what they submitted the first time
Once that's done the results get announced.

I'll be doing the Behind the Bots podcast (they're taking questions now at https://www.facebook.com/behindthebots/posts/pfbid02HkKEC4DyYBbY7iCHQGF3j3icci8BvWAFsF3YGZpqsjkjyJ4ZcahXc4qJfDX4c9Qxl among other places) which will come out on Wednesday. I suspect there will be some detailed discussion of the Valk/Malice fight.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Valkyrie .. won?

Wtf

appeals work, lmao Skorpios

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 3, 2023

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Skorpios, I love you, but you've brought great disgrace to the honor of the blade of Overkill-sama.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Realistically what else were they going to do? Sawblaze has longer reach and longer forks with a driver competent enough skorpios can't reliably bully him around the arena. Might as well go for glory with a dumb gimmick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The pizza intro was cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gGacb8cO4

I'm all in on Ripperoni

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 3, 2023

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Realistically what else were they going to do? Sawblaze has longer reach and longer forks with a driver competent enough skorpios can't reliably bully him around the arena. Might as well go for glory with a dumb gimmick.
Easy, transform into a Gundam, disappear in an instant, then reappear behind Sawblaze, sheathing their blade, then reveal the battlebox splitting in half then exploding.

Oh wait, did you say realistically? Huh.. yeah, not sure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stuffguyman posted:

Easy, transform into a Gundam, disappear in an instant, then reappear behind Sawblaze, sheathing their blade, then reveal the battlebox splitting in half then exploding.

Oh wait, did you say realistically? Huh.. yeah, not sure.

00 Gundam sucked real bad

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have to give BattleBots credit for not overstating the drama of the appeal. They spaced out the clips of the process but they didn't try to over hype it or try to make it seem like anyone was really angry. Pretty honest and fair presentation of the process imo. Far cry from some of the stunts they have pulled in the past.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang that was a great episode

PostNouveau posted:

Valkyrie-Malice: :lol: at the synchronized swimming ending.

:v:

PostNouveau posted:

It was ultimately a bad strategic decision for Malice to spin down their weapon. I don't know if they knew about the double KO possibility, but their strategy of spinning the weapon up during the countdown to show function left a whole lot of room for the judges to miss it. I guess it's also possible their weapon was just busted until the last 10 seconds of the fight when it started working again.

Yeah you can see on the original score cards that both Fon and Lisa thought that Malice lost their weapon and gave Valkyrie an extra point for it

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 3, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Heh, Skorpios polled the pit to see which configuration to use and "swordios" won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTwik_-lZLY

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dang that was a great episode

:v:

Yeah you can see on the original score cards that both Fon and Lisa thought that Malice lost their weapon and gave Valkyrie an extra point for it

Giving Valkyrie both aggression and control is also :psyduck: regardless of Malice's weapon

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Gotta love Ripperoni almost sending themselves into another pinwheeling frenzy doing a victory dance.

Lots of really good fights this episode, I'm always hoping to see a flamethrower loving explode!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was also interesting to see that they didn't let the Mad Catter guy anywhere near a mic this episode :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Throwing my 2c in:

Witch Doctor was amazing, I can't believe the improvement in this bot this year, now its literally throwing bots in the air. There was a time when Witch Doctor and Hijinx were both in the same kind of league but that's history baby. And the match with Ripperoni only underlined how far behind Hijinx is.

I thought the Malice challenge was a good call on merit, it was hard to see in the moment but the weapon was definitely spinning at the end and Valkyrie had lost their weapon and should have given the fight to Malice.

Skorpios - hoist on his own petardblade trying to be too clever for his own good and not checking whether he could self-right was very dumb against such a dangerous opponent as Sawblaze.

Hypershock really stuffed it up vs Endgame but it seems to me Will Bales is that kind of driver, when he's great, he's brilliant and he's off, he does that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Giving Valkyrie both aggression and control is also :psyduck: regardless of Malice's weapon

I thought so too. Maybe it looked different in person but I thought Malice was doing most of the attacking. I need to watch the video of Lisa explaining the rules again.

The judges do get a lot more hate than they deserve and this was a pretty poor showing from both teams anyway so I'm not upset about it. Pretty low stakes way to introduce the appeals process really.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ewe2 posted:

Skorpios - hoist on his own petardblade trying to be too clever for his own good and not checking whether he could self-right was very dumb against such a dangerous opponent as Sawblaze.

It really seemed like they went in knowing they were completely outclassed by Sawblaze. So they went with the joke configuration with the overkill blade and hoping they got the perfect hit to get the weapon belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah if by some crazy coincidence it had've worked it would have been one for the history books but :shrug: