Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yeah... I saw. The question is, does it include hidden item swapping mechanics as leet pvp tactics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

cmdrk posted:

someone will wax nostalgic about playing this game when they were 14.

This is an evergreen tweet and must be revisited with every piece of poo poo we post in here.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
gonna go all in on this i guess since there's nothing else promising on the horizon

https://playpaxdei.com/en-us

fantasy eve or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAOQN9NF0bY

e: if you apply for the alpha and fill out your profile, put "average-breezy-dinner" in as the "friends token" and maybe we will all get in together

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 2, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There is a bad track record for MMO's that focus purely on cutting edge graphics with no mention of gameplay.

... Which just means they are due for a big win! go all in!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol social sandbox mmo. It will be bad for sure. I 100% guarantee it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Haha uhhh why is the alpha play test application giving me the same personality test as my office max job application did in 2003

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW22doSoe5w

Pretty good video about SWG. Guy mostly did WoW vids but he threw in the towel in the wake of Classic being garbage and all the crap going on at Blizzard so it's nice to see him back.

I only briefly got to play at a friend's house as a kid so I missed out. Never knew about stuff like the exploding speeder bike protests lol

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

30.5 Days posted:

Haha uhhh why is the alpha play test application giving me the same personality test as my office max job application did in 2003

If I recall you need to respond to this test like someone from Minnesota, Absolute yes and no statements, no room for nuance. Like a cog in a machine that just wants to work and go to church and nothing else.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

wtf is this poo poo?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the pax dei mmo linked above has a questionnaire for its alpha playtest

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Imagine your next-gen MMO not having a 200 question personality test to cater the experience for each individual person.

Do they ask for references?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

Imagine your next-gen MMO not having a 200 question personality test to cater the experience for each individual person.

Do they ask for references?

LOL I didn't want to but ok

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

LOL I didn't want to but ok

I have joined the weedgoku420 army!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think if you take that quiz you can legally buy adderall

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There is a bad track record for MMO's that focus purely on cutting edge graphics with no mention of gameplay.

... Which just means they are due for a big win! go all in!

Any time a game markets "MADE IN UNREAL!!!!" it saves me a ton of time knowing it'll flop immediately at launch. Which engine you use is not a helpful bullet point for players.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pryce posted:

Any time a game markets "MADE IN UNREAL!!!!" it saves me a ton of time knowing it'll flop immediately at launch. Which engine you use is not a helpful bullet point for players.

At this point yeah. There was a time when going "made in Unreal/Cryengine/etc" was a selling point but now people just think "what's unreal tournament"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think if you take that quiz you can legally buy adderall

lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they get paid to mention UNREAL in their promo stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pryce posted:

:ohdear: for Yakuza, they just moved to that engine.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i'm glad they say it so i know it's not frostbite

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Pryce posted:

Best part! Unreal uses some "not gonna work in MMO" ideas. Agents (NPCs) default generation based on the player and distance to player, netstack is default sequential (first in first out), and AI runs on the server side.

Wow runs parallel net communication, AI runs in a hybrid format (movment is client side, spells are local but started from the server etc.) and Agents are maintained server side regardless of player location. I assume Wow Server AI is also highly optimized for many agents in default and idle settings.

The engines are not built for the same goals at all and devs just dont know better.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

Best part! Unreal uses some "not gonna work in MMO" ideas. Agents (NPCs) default generation based on the player and distance to player, netstack is default sequential (first in first out), and AI runs on the server side.

Wow runs parallel net communication, AI runs in a hybrid format (movment is client side, spells are local but started from the server etc.) and Agents are maintained server side regardless of player location. I assume Wow Server AI is also highly optimized for many agents in default and idle settings.

The engines are not built for the same goals at all and devs just dont know better.

Early days, unbeliever!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

PyRosflam posted:

netstack is default

I definitely read that as "nutsack" at first

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PyRosflam posted:

AI runs in a hybrid format (movment is client side, spells are local but started from the server etc.)

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you meant by this, but as written, it is not true.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
older unreal engines were used in mmos plenty and it works fine

just don't use their FPS focused netcode/AI. no sense in making your own graphics engine in tyool 2023 tho

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Bless is back again for a third or fourth try. I'm not sure. I lost count. This time it is called Bless Global. Now with NFTs! This game was released on mobile in January I think. It has dozens of positive sketchy reviews on Steam. Kira says they have a crafty way to get around the NFT/blockchain ban on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2094220/Bless_Global/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vq_BZa_cuE

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 3, 2023

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you meant by this, but as written, it is not true.

Sorry, not trying to make a deep post about it. WoW uses client and server AI. A simple example is if the mob runs right at you and attacks you, the client fills in the gaps and the server only sends updates when needed. WoW is very aggressive at this logic which is part of what makes combat more fluid vs say FFXIV which has a tiny delay from click to action as the server does a validation.

For this project to succeed the team has to toss so many default parts of the engine and this has been a thing that sinks less prepared teams. I guess if they really have the funds and team they could start with the engine only for client rendering Junk basically everything else.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I assume every MMO released now is in someway corrupted by blockchain nonsense or just a straight up Bitcoin miner.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

A*

the * stands for I

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

A*

the * stands for I

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is Embers Adrift? I feel like we have talked about that one. Its out of early access and didnt turn out to be a scam I think?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's stinky hot garbage

I actually know nothing about Embers Adrift but it IS an MMO, and a kickstarted MMO at that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

It's stinky hot garbage

I actually know nothing about Embers Adrift but it IS an MMO, and a kickstarted MMO at that

It looks like stinky hot garbage, and probably not for me because I don't have any friends I can play it with.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
started playing EQ2 again. last character was created almost exactly 17 years ago.

managed to pull together a static 5-man leveling group of mostly EQ1 players. thus far, the EQ1 players are bored with how easy it is and the non-EQ people are overwhelmed by having 3 hotbars of poo poo to click by level 15.

can't imagine making it anywhere near cap, but hoping to dive into the Agnostic Dungeons (weird name) and grind through those and see how people are feeling once we beat them all at least once. It's an aggressively OK game for a group.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

eq2 is way too easy now

their time locked servers are a bit better

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't understand why everyone's first instinct when streamlining content for later expansions is to make it completely brainless.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

I don't understand why everyone's first instinct when streamlining content for later expansions is to make it completely brainless.

My assumption is that they do this to accelerate your grind to the point where you start coughing up money for a subscription, new expansions etc

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

How is Embers Adrift? I feel like we have talked about that one. Its out of early access and didnt turn out to be a scam I think?

It is a buy+sub model mmo which has the worst movement and combat I have ever seen in a 3d game. The environment does look nice though, and it's supposed to have cool crafting. I didn't try it because money but viewing a gameplay video should confirm the above for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

cmdrk posted:

My assumption is that they do this to accelerate your grind to the point where you start coughing up money for a subscription, new expansions etc

Yeah but nobody's going to keep playing it if it sucks