Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hostile V posted:

I had to go into the archives for context and I'm miserable now but the long and short is that George got pinched by a bunch of pelt harvesters who were also holding Ophelia having mistaken her for a groundhog (they were after groundhog products) and she's being hunted in the sense that she's running from organized crime.

I thought the point was that ermine fur is still fashionable in Murderworld?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
looks like nobody's happy to see mandrake.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/2/50

Archie 9/3-4/46

No Labor Day paper, so only two strips this time.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Green Eyed Monster

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

Archie 9/3-4/46

No Labor Day paper, so only two strips this time.

Women be driving poorly amiright guys!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I don't get the punchline in that second Archie strip.

Was he passing off a rental car as his own? Is he getting a rental so that people don't drive his?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
he's frustratedly putting up rental signage on the car because EVERYONE wants to use it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Gnoman posted:

I don't get the punchline in that second Archie strip.

Was he passing off a rental car as his own? Is he getting a rental so that people don't drive his?

i think the joke is that since literally everyone wants to use "his" new car, he's putting a rental sign on it

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Oh. That seems obvious now.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

someone awful. posted:

i think the joke is that since literally everyone wants to use "his" new car, he's putting a rental sign on it

Did he just get rid of the old car?
It seems keeping it would have solved a few problems.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
modern logic would say he traded it in to be able to afford the new one, but i don't know how car financing worked in 1946

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/26-28/40

Low hanging fruit, but...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kevin Should've Just Stolen The Cool Shades Look, Rudy Sucks rear end

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which our parlor boys regret not packing a tent for their summer vacation this year. (August 9-11, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (October 14-16, 1920)

Aunt Eppie Hogg, The Fattest Woman In Three Counties: Aunt Eppie has always refused to be weighed and it was a sore disappointment to everybody when she woke up just as Zeb White had agreed to drive her on to the Scales.

Dok's Dippy Dots and Dashes (August 10, 1914)

Little Lefty (February 14-16, 1938. Yes, that's a repeat in the middle, and unlike a few weeks ago, it was probably intentional.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 2, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
did comics kingdom get rid of the print shop paywall bypass? thats a shame

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Oh! It's...those...people. Yes. The ones from before you see.

Mary Worth

I thought that panel looked a little weird, and later I found out the Mary Worth and Me guy figured out it was based on this.

Pretty good nod to Rockwell I think.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

He lived the dream.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Up the what? ... oh, she's pregnant.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm waiting for the big reveal that he's been able to hear the two of them loudly talking about him this entire time.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Good as time as any to post this old picture from Allison's Flickr of the Bad Machinery girls dressed as their favorite queens

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I recognize Cricket Bro and Professor Bee Sharp or whatever his name is. Old moustache guy on the right looks familiar as well but I can't recall who he is.

We're rooting for the bears in this arc, right?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bruceski posted:

I recognize Cricket Bro and Professor Bee Sharp or whatever his name is. Old moustache guy on the right looks familiar as well but I can't recall who he is.

We're rooting for the bears in this arc, right?
Didn't think of Cricket Bro and I don't remember enough about what he looked like to pick him out but yeah I figured that one guy was Bee Sharp except didn't he have a long coat or something? The rest I assume were the people at CB's house but I don't remember them either.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Weird colors on the second one because I had to get it from GoComics.

Old School Peanuts (Mar 14-15, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 12-15, 1993)

Big Nate

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 29, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

My wife: sweating, looking like she's having a complete nervous breakdown

Me: ha, ha, so cute

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Fan Service

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok Reddick, take a cold shower.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

At what point do we discover that this is all really a dream? I'm just wondering whom is having the dream.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nevermind the people, I feel like we're about to see Jules Rivera make points about art and writing quality

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

fondue posted:

At what point do we discover that this is all really a dream? I'm just wondering whom is having the dream.

Dethany from On the Fastrack

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
sorry, that was mean. I'm still entertained by this Crabgrass arc because Bondia is clearly having fun drawing it, and there's goodwill from tons of good gags and characterization in the relatively short time the strip has been running. Even when the storylines kind of falter and stray, the pace is decent and the day-to-day jokes are charming even if they're not gutbusters.

Holbrook can take two good tugs off a dead dog's dick and eat the discharge on his toast.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Well we know that Jules or her colorist don't try very hard so that's possibly Cricket Bro and his formerly dark-skinned step brother on the left. Bee Sharp in the middle, Colonel Sanders and his secretary(maybe) on the right.

It'd be absurdly hacky for Jules to just mash all these characters together for several reasons aside from the creative.

1) Cricket Bro is wanted for two attempted homicides.
2) Bee let him go for some reason despite having him in custody and being one of those targeted to be run over by a car, so golly maybe we're finally getting an explanation from "he bought me off" to "I'm really god drat stupid and amoral."
3) Nothing actually happened with Colonel Sanders. Mark published or helped make a documentary about an issue Sanders actually did the right ecological thing for, got arrested for being a particularly dim protestor, and the storyline just evaporated like a fart in the wind. I guess technically they oppose each other because Sanders sent a guy to punch Mark and Mark almost inconvenienced Sanders. High stakes.

The real score here is the reveal of the latest news cycle issue Jules is mad about with Stump and AI art, though I think Jules can rest easy in that nobody will be stealing her work to feed an AI. Or maybe she's mad the AIs outperform her even when drawing hands.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nevermind the people, I feel like we're about to see Jules Rivera make points about art and writing quality

The pacing of the current arc is as bad as a new Simpsons episode where the first act is a complete disconnect from the others so yeah, always funny to see Trail showing its hand.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

On the one hand, oh boy, another Funky character getting shoehorned in. Hoo. Ray.
On the other hand, the punchline is "Pete is a great comic book writer." I dare you not to snicker.

She's a published author so shouldn't she already have some copy that went inside the dust jacket of her books or whatever?

Here, "Mrs. Whoever is a lifelong bookworm who knows it's never too late to achieve your dreams. At the age of 85 or whatever she published her first mystery, Murder Up My Bookhole, to great success, and completed a sequel the following year. Most days she can be found writing away in her bookshop, where she is assisted by her two nieces Tweedledee and Tweedledum and her cat Whiskers." I don't even remember these characters' names but that took me like one minute to come up with.

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 15, 1956)

I should have said something yesterday, but of course Trondheimsfjord is a real place, so we can pin down pretty accurately where Thule is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/1/03

Brenda Starr 7/3-5/50

Spoilered for still more stereotypical Native American.

Smokey Stover 3/29/53

Everyday Movies 3/3/36

"I see he's switched from beer to whisky again, so I've got a fight on my hands for his rent."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/30/40 - 1/1/41