Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If they're mentioning 1776 specifically it's probably a dumb poo poo talking point from the oh-so-wittily-named 1776 project to counteract all the facts in the 1619 project, since fascists can generally never produce anything original except hatred. I've never looked in to whatever lies they're manufacturing in that pile of bullshit but that sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
It just blows my mind. My brain has just been in divide by zero ERROR mode since he said that. How can someone possibly think that is reasonable, correct, or defensible?

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Travic posted:

It just blows my mind. My brain has just been in divide by zero ERROR mode since he said that. How can someone possibly think that is reasonable, correct, or defensible?

"We were ruled by a tyrant from England and rebelled to get away from those tyrannical and evil laws! We had no choice on slavery before then!"

Somehow ignoring that once we were able to make our own choice it was "oh yeah lets keep that" - also that no one was forced to have slaves.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Travic posted:

Not sure where this guy read this in the right wing media sphere, but I just had this conversation with a co-worker.

Him: Did you know we only had slavery for 90 years?

Me: ...We had slavery for hundreds of years. Also 90 years is still inexcusable.

Him: Yeah but we weren't a country until 1776 so it doesn't count.

“And did you know that the Confederacy only existed for a few years? Yet that is somehow the only recorded history of the American South.”

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Democrats promoted chattel slavery and before it was obviously Muslims and Africans enslaving their own according to chuds.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

It's the same logic the US used to stiff France after their revolution, and as someone whose descendants were not anywhere near this country in the 1700s, "we" is not the best way to describe colonists.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Is anyone? The schism in the GOP really doesn't seem to go away. Hopefully the coming election only increases the split.

Matt Schlapp may have been caught with a Live Boy, turning him (and potentially CPAC) radioactive:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/17/matt-schlapp-sued-sexual-assault-allegations-00078163

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Travic posted:

Not sure where this guy read this in the right wing media sphere, but I just had this conversation with a co-worker.

Him: Did you know we only had slavery for 90 years?

Me: ...We had slavery for hundreds of years. Also 90 years is still inexcusable.

Him: Yeah but we weren't a country until 1776 so it doesn't count.

"I only stabbed you in the chest nine times."

Like, yeah, okay, we can probably agree that a serial murderer or serial rapist is worse than one who has only a single victim, but, like, so what? "Well until you've killed as many people as Ted Bundy you're basically not a murderer and should be excused for your crimes."

EDIT: Like... a bad thing is a bad thing. Yeah, doing a bad thing multiple times is obviously worse than doing a bad thing once or only a few times, but doing a bad thing is still, by definition, a bad thing.
If you accept the premise that slavery is unacceptably evil, then 90 years of slavery is still an obscenity just as one year of slavery is.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Sax Mortar posted:

"We were ruled by a tyrant from England and rebelled to get away from those tyrannical and evil laws! We had no choice on slavery before then!"

Somehow ignoring that once we were able to make our own choice it was "oh yeah lets keep that" - also that no one was forced to have slaves.

Britain banned slavery in its colonies in 1833. American independence helped keep it alive a generation longer.

Though 60 years of slavery is still too loving long.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Reminder that the Continental Congress deleted a section from the Declaration of Independence blaming slavery on King George because the slave states refused to sign anything that implied slavery was bad even if it was just an insincere way to malign the king and written by a fellow slaveowner himself.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Matt Schlapp may have been caught with a Live Boy, turning him (and potentially CPAC) radioactive:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/17/matt-schlapp-sued-sexual-assault-allegations-00078163

I was gonna say "isn't that old news" and that's literally from mid January

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

No Safe Word posted:

I was gonna say "isn't that old news" and that's literally from mid January

There are a few more newer articles with "unnamed sources" stating that they finally have an excuse to skip this year thanks to this. Standard "Hey remember (thing)? It's a shell of its former self!" type writing:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/ron-desantis-will-skip-cpac-rcna72537

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Man, they're really on about the Wuhan Chinese Lab Virus and how the MSM got it wrong and lied to everyone and called Trump crazy and everything. Not sure why the MSM led with this big LAB headline when everything I read seems inconclusive and, even then, it's not like CNN and whoever just openly decided to lie about it possibly being created in a lab, but of course that is what Hannity is running with about Trump was right all along and blah blah liberal agenda and this means everything that was reported on Trump is also all a big bunch of lies. And also CHINA.

I mean, it's predictable of course but the poo poo I listened to and the path that Sean went down with "NOW WE KNOW THE REAL TRUTH and Tom Cotten was RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME but they called him crazy" was a bit of a stretch even for Hannity. Then he segued into the Jan 6th riots and now that's also all discredited. It's almost like we don't know things right away until we have more information and responsible news outlets tell us what they know at a given time. NOne of these things really connect and Sean's channel openly bullshits and lies every loving day as a matter of basic "reporting" but this "headline" somehow is proof that the MSM is in the bag for Biden somehow.

Sean know this but his loving audience doesn't.

Also, I thought COVID was no big deal and a hoax and blah blah loving blah a bunch of other poo poo that FOX viewers have memory holed like everything else.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

Even if they do it it's going to be framed as The Deep State making them bow to their will and probably not so subtly implying that they basically have a gun to their head.

It really is bizarre.

I didn't read too much Dilbert but, from what I did, my takeaway was a true disdain of middle managers, cubicle life and all the bullshit that makes middle class work so insufferable. Similar to Office Space. Who knew that there was a raging conservative racist behind the entire thing?

I mean, there kind of wasn't. Dude had people call and write with their dumb office stories and Adams converted them into strips.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
We still have slavery, there's just an "imprisoned" prerequisite.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Like even if the Chinese government had called Trump and had Poohbear go "lmao we totally leaked it by accident soz" there was, you know, kind of an interest in divorcing the disease from associations with nations or regions because Asian folks were getting targeted in hate crimes

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Wrong thread.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 2, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

wolfman101 posted:

Sealed is screwing me again. All the rares are rubbish. My best card in the pool is cinderslash ravager, but the only other good creature in red or green is a single Furnace Punisher. Not enough anything for any kind of synergies.

note: make sure you remember which MTG you're supposed to be talking about

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Speaking of stupid

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1628114501064134658

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
So does Georgia's 14th district consist entirely of drunk PTA moms, or how does it happen that MTG keeps getting elected?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm big maybe, but maybe only apply this to snow birds that go to FL or the southwest to retire/die.

also isnt most of the current non retirement movement from non regressives moving to non regressive places and regressives moving to regressive places? so a blue-ening and red-ening problem.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Mechanical Ape posted:

So does Georgia's 14th district consist entirely of drunk PTA moms, or how does it happen that MTG keeps getting elected?
She moved to that district to run for office specifically because yes, it is that bugfuck crazy red.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Mechanical Ape posted:

She was only elected once (time is a flat circle) and she ran unopposed

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dubar posted:

She was only elected once (time is a flat circle) and she ran unopposed

she's been elected twice-2020 and 2022, or is there some joke I'm missing?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I know this is a lava hot take but I think she might be terrible. Just at everything. Life, her job, everything. It worries me how much we've normalized terrible and incompetent. It's a genie I'm not sure will ever go back in the bottle.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Ambitious Spider posted:

she's been elected twice-2020 and 2022, or is there some joke I'm missing?

No you're right, for some reason my brain was insisting it was still 2022 this morning

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I believe one person she ran against was threatened so much that they dropped out of the race. When your support is violent crazy people, it is pretty easy to win through intimidation.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I mean if you're going to go down that route, gently caress it, just go back to limiting the franchise to people who can prove they have a stake in things by owning land and/or a business in the state. Hell, let's tie it in with Quiverful too and also require that you have at least one healthy child so that you can claim to have a stake in the future, too.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean if you're going to go down that route, gently caress it, just go back to limiting the franchise to people who can prove they have a stake in things by owning land and/or a business in the state. Hell, let's tie it in with Quiverful too and also require that you have at least one healthy child so that you can claim to have a stake in the future, too.

Probably not those specific criteria as they center on the positive aspects of the in-group they want to preserve and not enough on the negative aspects of the out-groups they want to punish and oppress, but yes that in general is kind of the goal of modern fascism.

Over time the ideology has morphed a bit, in the Darwinian sense that unfit versions died off or were killed off. By process of self-elimination the ideology has realized that while the hardcore among them love how the historical violent overthrow of political opposition and flashy murder of the membership plays out, that ends up unsustainable long term as it tends to rile people up. Modern fascism takes over through media, the courts, and excitingly social media in recent times! The process is more one of mutating society one frog boiling baby step at a time to make that opposition functionally and, eventually when they can get away with it, legally impossible. Eventually there is violence and murder of the oppressed but it doesn't jump to that immediately, and after first laying the groundwork by weakening society around them so that there is not as much of a reaction triggered.

Feel free to be terrified by the rhetoric coming out of MTG and the more unshackled Id of the Republican party like her. They're just saying out loud what the rest of them think and are working towards.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
MTG's been on an apology tour since since the McCarthy scuffle. The chuds noticed how quickly she folded and branded her a traitor. IIRC the last time she went on InfoWars she and Alex took calls and someone screamed at her for being no different than the Washington insiders.

This is what an apology tour looks like in chud world. Just mouth off and say the craziest poo poo and hope the base starts to love you again.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dubar posted:

No you're right, for some reason my brain was insisting it was still 2022 this morning

Oh no worries. Time is so weird I definitely had to look it up before I posted because o thought maybe she was only elected once and it’s just felt that long.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You know this is literally what their agenda is, right?

Banks are scooping up homes and rates aren't dropping. People won't be able to afford to own anything soon and then, we're back to a slave class. The GOP wants slaves and suffering, I don't understand why people can't see it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Chuds are mad at Herseheys now.
https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1631282344060502016?t=kE_kxyDOnkWF76XZ9r4VLg&s=19

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And of course they're continuing the "go woke go broke" mantra which just gets funnier and funnier as chuds continue to lose money/jobs/book deals. We're not even a week removed from Scott Adams finally getting shitcanned.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

drat conservatives really hate candy

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Angry_Ed posted:

And of course they're continuing the "go woke go broke" mantra which just gets funnier and funnier as chuds continue to lose money/jobs/book deals. We're not even a week removed from Scott Adams finally getting shitcanned.

I know it's just a mantra that conservatives repeat amongst themselves so that they can pretend it's real, but goddamn, it bugs me when people point to supposedly "woke" things failing, and then try to weave it into some grand narrative that proves that the tide in the culture war is turning and the American public is actually deeply conservative and what have you. It always has some completely-mundane explanation that they just actively ignore. No, Americans as a whole did not bravely reject Disney's woke gay agenda by not seeing Strange World explicitly because the son character is gay; Disney barely advertised the thing and it wasn't about a princess. No, people aren't turning on DC and forcing them to cancel the new Superman book because Superman is bi; this is hardly the first time that a Superman rebranding hasn't worked out sales-wise.

And, like, people make entire social media careers around making these "get woke, go broke" predictions for everything that has any amount of even minorly progressive posturing. Then, when even one of those things fails, virtually always for unrelated reasons, they smugly say that they told us so. It's so loving annoying.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You know this is literally what their agenda is, right?

Banks are scooping up homes and rates aren't dropping. People won't be able to afford to own anything soon and then, we're back to a slave class. The GOP wants slaves and suffering, I don't understand why people can't see it.

Uh because that’s what their voters want too.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
man, i wish they would get mad at the candy companies for the child labor

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

World Famous W posted:

But that's a feature to these folks though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

World Famous W posted:

Oh I'm sure they'll be happy to feign being mad about the child labour now that they have a reason to.

Actually just looked it up, and yeah, same account is posting about the child labour stuff too, but in a way where they clearly don't give a poo poo hah