Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

Yeah, OEM rules. There's a dealer for my Korean shitbox car maker right next to my work to where I can order little cheap things that broke with no shipping and it's kind of great, apart from having to call them on the phone like a caveman. Thanks to the parts number and some google-fu I found an online vendor of OEM suzuki parts in country that only charges 10€ for freight so I'll just order two nubbins, have one spare (that I probably won't find by the time I need it) and call it good.

You'll find that the ones still on there will be heavily compacted from use and the asymmetry will drive you mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

You'll find that the ones still on there will be heavily compacted from use and the asymmetry will drive you mad

alright. Four nubbins it is then. That means that cost of nubbins actually exceeds freight cost which feels better for some reason :)

E: FIVE WHOLE NUBBINS! I had to reach €20 including freight or they wouldn't let me order. Anyways, thanks for the help thread!

Invalido fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 1, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
AI sorts your nubbins

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Nubbins

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hm. My cbr1000rr friend is doing a lot of weird mods. He's replacing the sprockets with all aluminum.
Like I am not a metallurgist but even hard alloys of alu are soft compared to steel. Like you really want metal rubbing off on the steel chain? Galvanic corrosion issues? Little sprocket life...
One would think an alu sprocket would be more prone to race ending issues. Unless you have a team of people maintaining your bike.

Is that a common mod? He swears it is. It's his bike at the end of the day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ahhh yes, saving 50g on a literbike is how you go faster

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yes it is dumb. Remembering back to the early 2000s and materials science classes, aluminium (alloy) has low density but has way worse mechanical properties than steel.

A key factor is because of the crystal structure of iron it has a yield point for stress, below which it only deforms elastically. Aluminium doesn't have this property and as a result is way more susceptible to fatigue, which is why springs are basically all steel.

Steel is also much harder and wears better than Al. It's just a better material for sprockets, chains, other high wear parts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To be fair it is a common mod, because stupidity is commonplace

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tell him if he takes a dump before he goes riding he'll save 10 times as much weight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More corner speed too, leaning off is easier when you aren't touching cotton

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Tell him if he takes a dump before he goes riding he'll save 10 times as much weight.

cue the "I feel 5 lbs lighter" scene from Friday

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
How do I get all my friends who don't have a bike to get a bike for the next season?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

let them ride yours

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'd be afraid to be a big part of the reason someone got into riding because if they hosed up, or a car hosed them up, I'd feel an entirely irrational level of guilt. My best friend was maybe 20% of why I started and you should've see him sweat the first time I crashed, lol

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

right arm posted:

let them ride yours

Totally have let people ride the Versys X 300 around parking lots. One dude we did a few dozen miles, he was on my Chinese 125cc bike.

It's like a money thing, they want to start on R7s and MT07 but don't want to drop the coin so didn't ride last season. Great bikes yeah. But used Ninja 250s, 300s, CB300rs etc are sorta plentiful and cheapish around here. Like a third or quarter of the price.

The literbike friend who got me into this is converting it to a track only bike and getting a Grom. It's too expensive for him to maintain the way he rides it in the street.

Once you consider the cost of gas, if you regularly use the bike for commuting, cheaper bikes literally will pay for themselves after like 5 years. It's basically free so everyone should ride. 🤣

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 3, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Has anyone ever upgraded rear suspension on their bike? Possibly this spring or summer I may go on a 14 hour road trip with it. The furthest I've gone on it is 2 hours. There are days where I am riding all day on and off without issue. Those long stretches of highway get to my spine though after an hour.

The stock rear suspension is stiff-ish, even with the preload at minimum settings. It's also sorta quick to rebound. The bike absorbs bumps fine but man it beats me up.

Would nicer rear racetech suspension with damping and compression adjustment be nice for trips, without messing with spring strength?

Cost aside, which I don't care about since I am just going to keep the bike long term.

I had the bike looked at once trackside. The front was soft the guy said and the rear stiff. Sag was acceptable with my gear on. Front nothing could be done, unadjustable.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 9, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ride comfort is mostly about ergonomics and seat design and general bike layout, if you can't do full day rides on that particular sportbike, there isn't one out there that would do any better because you're using a hammer as a screwdriver. If you really must gently caress with your suspension, you need to get a shock with a spring rate calibrated to your weight, go on the racetech website and see what they can do for you.

Stiff and soft and dudes who proclaim don't really signify anything. Highways are pretty smooth and straight, and you've even said it absorbs bumps fine, so why is the suspension a problem and not your seating position?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
It's a super upright bike and my lower back rounds out. Posture thing kinda. If my back gets sore it's usually more comfortable to lean in where my lower back can't round out as if it was a sports bike, which removes the bumps from compressing my spine the same way. Sitting completely upright puts my helmet in a blast of wind.

You would call that bike a sportbike?

I could be sitting wrong.

Racetech has the stock spring rate as valid for my weight for the back. Only the front was undersprung.

I guess I am not sure how to sit on it properly for long rides if upright puts my head in wind, slouching causes back issues, and leaning in...well I can ride it like that. Feels like I am doin too much though

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 9, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait what bike is this

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Versys x 300, it's an adv bike, very much a standard riding position.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh right.

Grip with your legs, keep your arms loose, keep your back straight with your core, support your weight with your legs when you're coming up to a bump. Eventually all of this stops being tiring. Not much you can do about helmet buffeting besides a giant grampa screen or just hardening up. Consider getting an aftermarket seat.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

I've got a possibly dumb question about heated gear.
I already have a heated jacket liner that plugs into the bike and I recently ordered a one piece riding suit which hasn't arrived yet.
Would I be able to use the heated liner with a one piece suit? How would the power cord reach the bike?
Is it possible to add a rubber grommet through the suit or something like that?
I feel like this has a stupid obvious answer that I can't think of without the suit in front of me and will end up deleting this post once I realize how dumb i am.

Debugario fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 10, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you swallow the cable and it comes out your butt and you plug it into the heated vest inside the suit

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
On the aerostich there's a small rubber oval with a slot cut into it stitched in one of the lower pockets. So you can just run your cord into your pocket and through the rubber.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sagebrush posted:

you swallow the cable and it comes out your butt and you plug it into the heated vest inside the suit

This gives you heartburn.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Debugario posted:

I've got a possibly dumb question about heated gear.
I already have a heated jacket liner that plugs into the bike and I recently ordered a one piece riding suit which hasn't arrived yet.
Would I be able to use the heated liner with a one piece suit? How would the power cord reach the bike?
Is it possible to add a rubber grommet through the suit or something like that?
I feel like this has a stupid obvious answer that I can't think of without the suit in front of me and will end up deleting this post once I realize how dumb i am.

Check if the suit has any ventilation holes or slots that are suitable to feed the cable through. Perhaps you could do the neck hole, if the cable is long enough.

Otherwise, you could consider punching a hole into the suit, and feeding the cable with connector through there - though if the connector is a bit beefy, that might not be a good option. A hole for a 3,5mm jack would be the biggest hole i'd be willing to put into a leather suit.

If it's more for permanent installation, punch a tiny hole the size of the cable, desolder the cable at the heated liner's end, feed cable through and solder it back again.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Thanks for the replies, even the joke ones, I ordered a Joe Rocket Survivor suit.
Looks like vent in the pant leg can be opened and let a cable through.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ahh please report back on that I’ve been looking at it too

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Anyone feel any particular way about tkc 80 tires? I want to try some dirt on my small displacement adv bike. Will probably want to ride to the destinations, mostly 40-60 miles away.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My impression on of the tkc 80s is that because of the big square blocks the front can feel a bit like it moves from block to block on paved surfaces. The rears are fine. They are good on dirt and mud.
In comparison the Mitas 07 or heidenau k60 does not get that same feeling on the front because of their different design on the front pattern, there is less "gaps" where there is no blocks touching the road.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Supradog posted:

My impression on of the tkc 80s is that because of the big square blocks the front can feel a bit like it moves from block to block on paved surfaces. The rears are fine. They are good on dirt and mud.
In comparison the Mitas 07 or heidenau k60 does not get that same feeling on the front because of their different design on the front pattern, there is less "gaps" where there is no blocks touching the road.

Hm. I am mostly worried about wear and adequate grip in like dirt, forested path or field or mud. I don't really want to trailer the bike an hour away, I want to ride. Think the Heidenau k60 is good? Scout or ranger?

When I am not riding in the woods, I will be switching back to road tires...but there might be a gap here or there if i get lazy.

Slightly worried that the k60s have less aggressive tread. But I know jack about dirtbikes.

Leaning towards the TKC 80s as they are not going to stay on the bike normally for street riding. Only when I am lazy or busy. Those k60s probably ride smooth though and could be left on indefinitely..

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 11, 2023

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Anyone feel any particular way about tkc 80 tires? I want to try some dirt on my small displacement adv bike. Will probably want to ride to the destinations, mostly 40-60 miles away.

K60s are worse than TKC80s in the dirt by far. K60s are also garbage in the wet. TKC80s also have a soft as hell sidewall that can lead to taco’d rims if you’re going fast in the dirt unless you keep the PSI way up which makes them handle not great in the dirt. they also wear real quickly. motoz rallz are better than TKC80s imo but cost more and are a bit tougher to find. TKCs will probably be good / fine on a middleweight ADV as long as you don’t push yourself / them too hard

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yeah, k60 are gravel touring tires for not too sandy or wet gravel roads., not actual loose dirt.
Motoz tires are real hard to find here in northern europe, So I've never got the chance to try any from them, but we have the full mitas range.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have TKC80s in 21/18 on my DRZ. They're better than the stock trail wings, but not as good in the mud as the D606s I tried. Those just wore out too quickly for how much street I had to do to get to trails. I'm not fast enough in the trails to feel like the TKCs were holding me back

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Deeters posted:

I have TKC80s in 21/18 on my DRZ. They're better than the stock trail wings, but not as good in the mud as the D606s I tried. Those just wore out too quickly for how much street I had to do to get to trails. I'm not fast enough in the trails to feel like the TKCs were holding me back

ya I’ve heard good things about the D606s. couldn’t remember the model name. one of these days I’ll try them after I kill my stinkos lol

those and the GT fatty are the fronts I really want to try

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's not really any way to reconcile road manners and longevity vs any kind of dirt performance because the two demand totally opposite designs

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Looks like the TKC 80s are being discontinued! Hard to find and on closeout. Heidenau k60 rangers look OK, a bit more off road oriented than scout. I'm not expecting to go through a swamp or catch air on a motocross track, don't have the right bike for it anyway. Going over a tree root at 15 mph might be exciting. A friend just got a Tundra TRD PRO. Looking to just kinda ride in dirt or a field on his family or my family's property, I think these will work fine. Now I'm worried I'm gonna buy tires and never put them on. Road riding is like no commitment...take the bike instead of the car...dirt needs more planning and intention and I'm bad at that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

rangers will probably be good. never used them. scouts are the go to for BMW style folks who never ride anything but pavement / gravel to AK and I found them poo poo in the rain, but the rangers look like a good tire with offset lugs which is nice in the dirt / mud. I’m sure they’ll be just fine

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Has anyone gone to Champ School? I wanted to take their street course, but I've seen mixed reviews (that it was a glorified MSF class): https://ridelikeachampion.com/champ-street/

That wouldn't usually be enough to dissuade me, but the nearest course is 1. on a weekday 2. expensive and 3. a two-hour ride away. I'm trying to gauge the value of making a day of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yes. I did the two day champ school. It is indeed expensive. I made a couple posts about it
here
you can read if you’d like. I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have!! If you do the 2 day school I think it may be a good idea to get a day or two on track first just so you are comfortable in / have some exposure to that environment before dropping 2k.